ADVERTISEMENT

More in-depth discussion on transfer portal rules changes

RUMassAlum

Sophomore
Jun 7, 2005
Yes, I know that there has already been much discussion on the topic of the liberalization of the transfer portal rules in college sports. But the thread on Mike Rice’s recent tweet provides more to think about. I know that Rice is hardly a beloved figure at RU and that most of the thread was spent slamming him. But IMHO, his point is valid regarding the transfer portal rules relaxation moving the pendulum toward wholesale “team-jumping” among existing college players, and away from traditional high school recruiting, and that is a springboard to a wider discussion. I will admit that my initial reaction to news about the portal change was negative. However, I really tried to learn more about the subject and hear arguments on the other side. After doing that, I have concluded that I am more against this change than ever. Basketball, with its small rosters and low number of on-court players, is by far the most impacted.

Certainly, if a player is unhappy due to lack of playing time, or not liking one or more coaches, or not being happy about the school, or any other reason, the liberalization can make life less trying for a player, by allowing the penalty-free transfer. In that sense, the change is “pro-athlete,” and that is not a bad thing. The arguments from some that college athletes are exploited are quite valid. But I do not think that this was the primary driver of this rules shift. My personal perception is that it came from pressure on the NCAA from coaches, athletic directors and others involved in the college sports infrastructure to get rid of the “sit out one season” system, with its capricious and inconsistent hardship exceptions on a case basis. In finally getting rid of this clumsy process, at least for one season per player, teams could utilize talent immediately, to the great benefit of the program in many instances. In doing this, however, the NCAA opened the floodgates. The frequency of transfers affecting practically every school this year perhaps should not be so surprising, but the numbers nevertheless are jaw dropping.

I am not sure that anything like this occurs anywhere in organized sports. In the professional ranks, a player has a contractual obligation to honor his or her commitment to the team for a designated term. To be sure, a major reform to this system started to occur more than 50 years ago, in the form of free agency, which was a badly needed rectification, staring in baseball. It is also true that the occasional unhappy superstar or individual malcontent can pressure his way out of the existing contract, or leverage a new, more favorable one. But the overriding reality is that pro and semi-pro sports operate on a contractual business basis. I cannot think of any other organized team sports in this country, from Pop Warner on up, where team jumping is so unconstrained.

By allowing that one free move at any time during the player’s college eligibility years, the wonderful spirit of continuity is lost. That means the continuity for players as they grow and mature together as a unit and sometimes improve a lot. Every year there are teams that have limited individual talent, but the team makes the post-season games or tournaments because the athletes have played together for several seasons. It also means the loss of continuity for fans, who enjoy watching a connected group of players move forward as a team. Instead of continuity, there will be semi-chaos, a substantially new roster in many programs each year. It is also important to note that some players, piggybacking the one free year rule with the hardship clause, and/or a willingness to sit out one season at another school, could and will end up playing at two and three schools (I am not talking about the present situation, where the special one-added-year due to covid coincided with the portal reg.’s change; I am referring to seasons going forward under normal circumstances). The new portal rules are already substituting program chaos for ordered progression. It is having an impact on almost every school in multiple sports, but most especially in men’s and women’s basketball and football.

The other thing that I dislike about the new portal rules is that by shifting the aforementioned recruiting pendulum to the transfer side instead of the HS recruiting side, you have created a system that fundamentally changes college sports, and not for the better. HS players lose opportunity. College sports become 100% about sports, winning and dominance, rendering whatever tenuous link remained to the academic side of college a joke. Why not just make the major sports programs a private, semi-pro business as a money generator for the university? I do understand that there are benefits in this for players, coaches, and programs, but on balance, I dislike the new transfer system.

I say, restore the old system, fix the most inconsistent parts of it, and be done with it. I like the original idea of the transfer portal, to place some order around the process. But the new rules are a quantum leap to something else entirely.

Last edited:
Lots to unpack here, but a couple points.

First off, continuity for fans isn't really a thing, imo. Transferring was always possible, and always has happened - it's just it was harder for the player to do, and harder for the school to reserve a scholarship for a player who couldn't suit up. We already have had players who leave the team early to go pro (either in the NBA or overseas), Juco transfers who only have 2 years to play, grad transfers with just 1 year to play, players who leave early to transfer or grad transfer, etc.

The rule removing the sit out year doesn't change the options that were already on the table from a "continuity" perspective - it just makes it easier on the player. And while it may increase the likelihood of a player seeking a transfer, it also essentially replaces the "grad transfer" path because far fewer players will have redshirt years to begin with.

Second, the impact to the HS recruiting side, again imo, is more on the Covid waiver than the sit out rule. There are hundreds of players around the country who will be playing an extra year in college, meaning fewer roster/rotation openings for incoming HS recruits - and less demand for HS recruits, as coaches have less pressure to shore up holes left by departing players. This is supply/demand - there is a glut of players right now because everyone's been given an extra year of eligibility, which makes demand lower for HS kids.

The biggest impact of this is likely that low major and mid major schools will score some recruiting coups this year, as players who ordinarily would have gone to a more competitive program are going to land (for a year or two) at a less competitive program before they (likely) transfer up once the roster spots again become available.

Lots to unpack here, but a couple points.

First off, continuity for fans isn't really a thing, imo. Transferring was always possible, and always has happened - it's just it was harder for the player to do, and harder for the school to reserve a scholarship for a player who couldn't suit up. We already have had players who leave the team early to go pro (either in the NBA or overseas), Juco transfers who only have 2 years to play, grad transfers with just 1 year to play, players who leave early to transfer or grad transfer, etc.

The rule removing the sit out year doesn't change the options that were already on the table from a "continuity" perspective - it just makes it easier on the player. And while it may increase the likelihood of a player seeking a transfer, it also essentially replaces the "grad transfer" path because far fewer players will have redshirt years to begin with.

Second, the impact to the HS recruiting side, again imo, is more on the Covid waiver than the sit out rule. There are hundreds of players around the country who will be playing an extra year in college, meaning fewer roster/rotation openings for incoming HS recruits - and less demand for HS recruits, as coaches have less pressure to shore up holes left by departing players. This is supply/demand - there is a glut of players right now because everyone's been given an extra year of eligibility, which makes demand lower for HS kids.

The biggest impact of this is likely that low major and mid major schools will score some recruiting coups this year, as players who ordinarily would have gone to a more competitive program are going to land (for a year or two) at a less competitive program before they (likely) transfer up once the roster spots again become available.
I appreciate your well-reasoned thoughts. You make some good points. We will see, but I still don't like the disorder the change brings.

There has not been a "liberalization of the transfer portal rules."

The Transfer Portal was created as a compliance tool to systematically manage the transfer process from start to finish, add more transparency to the process among schools and empower student-athletes to make known their desire to consider other programs.

Once student-athletes ask that a compliance administrator place their name in the portal, the school has two business days to submit the information.

Those are the transfer portal rules. It's been that way since 2018.

It is up to the individual school to develop policies regarding portal requests.

There has been a "liberalization of the transfer rules."

None of this should be about the fans.

If we want to make the players honor 4 year commitments than we need entire coaching staffs to remain at the college the entire athlete's career. In addition, every promise made in a living room, in a text, or on a phone conversation needs to be kept too.

I am not pro athlete when it comes to compensation, but I am pro athlete here.

We as fans and coaches as coaches need to deal with it.

I am actually fine with the changes and it ultimately will force schools to make a decision that has two distinct paths for basketball.

A) Recruiting the best collection of talent and finding a way to make that talent mesh and work in a short period of time.

OR

B) Recruiting the best mix of talent and people who are more team or program or college oriented.

There are certain schools that are going to continue to win the talent/Recruiting game....if those programs "miss" on a player, they're now in a position, similar to the 1 or 2 and dones, to make a quicker decision to shed a player.

So when a Duke misses on a Top 50 PF/C like 2020 recruit Henry Coleman and that player doesn't play ASAP, that kid hits the portal and goes to a rebuilding Texas A&M......Duke then immediately turns and grabs a 4th or 5th year senior, Theo John from Marquette, who fired their coach.....the coach in Steve "Wojo", who ultimately recruited Theo John and was a valued Duke assistant under Coach K.

The Duke program, who somehow missed the entire NCAA tournament, gets to reload with a more experienced player, instead of continuing to ask high 4* or 5* freshman to compete ASAP, against juniors and seniors.

Texas A&M wins because they were never going to get a transfer at the caliber of Theo John as a 1 year rental, BUT they can convince a potential 4* or 5* kid who didn't play at Duke, to now go to another program,......get on the court next year, with a fresh start and help build their program.

Before the change in the sit out rule, the smaller schools that were not able to compete with the bigger name brand schools, were being raided by the bigger schools AND the bigger schools got to keep some of their younger prospects for another year.....those programs sometimes had 10 to 11 legitimate players recruited on top of each other.....now if a Kentucky wants to take Davidson guard Kellen Grady as a shooting guard and grad transfer, it's now going to lose 2 5* guards that know they're being recruited over for that next season....if there is a sit out rule, maybe those 5* kids are convinced to stay in hopes by their junior year, that they are starting.....now, those kids can leave for a different program.

The days of recruiting and piling up kids is over....if Illinois wants to recruit 2 kids to play guard, one of their top 2020 kids, who thinks he should be featured (Adam Miller), is going to find another place (LSU).

If a coach doesn't have good relationships with these existing players and focus solely on these transfers, things may not matter to some coaches and may matter a lot to other ones.

There has not been a "liberalization of the transfer portal rules."

The Transfer Portal was created as a compliance tool to systematically manage the transfer process from start to finish, add more transparency to the process among schools and empower student-athletes to make known their desire to consider other programs.

Once student-athletes ask that a compliance administrator place their name in the portal, the school has two business days to submit the information.

Those are the transfer portal rules. It's been that way since 2018.

It is up to the individual school to develop policies regarding portal requests.

Sorry, Russ, but your statement is not factual. On April 14 of this year, the NCAA Div. I Council passed the rule change making the 'one free year' official, and the Directors ratified it two weeks later, on April 28. yes, the portal was implemented in October of 2018, but without the new change. So there most certainly has been a liberalization of the NCAA transfer rules.

I think the losers are:
Teams that stack talent
Teams that run have complicated systems
Teams that recruit "diamonds in the rough"
Teams with coaches that are disciplinarians
Teams that lie or mislead recruits
Junior College players who used to have the monopoly on plug-and-play

Winners:
Players - this is almost nothing but good for players (yes there are exceptions)
P5 teams outside of the top 25 that often have holes to fill
Teams without any natural fertile recruiting grounds (Boston College)
Elite teams that depend on 1-and-done players
Teams that emphasize the "family" concept
Teams that don't change coaches frequently

Sorry, Russ, but your statement is not factual. On April 14 of this year, the NCAA Div. I Council passed the rule change making the 'one free year' official, and the Directors ratified it two weeks later, on April 28. yes, the portal was implemented in October of 2018, but without the new change. So there most certainly has been a liberalization of the NCAA transfer rules.

You missed Russ' point. The transfer portal didn't change - the transfer rules themselves did. This is largely semantics, but what he stated was factual.

Per Russ:

"There has not been a "liberalization of the transfer portal rules."

Reactions: Russ Wood
Sorry, Russ, but your statement that the transfer portal has NOT been liberalized is just not the case. The transfer portal was implemented in October of 2018 to give some structure and transparency to the transfer process. but this year, on April 14, the NCAA Council passed the "one free year' provision for the first time, and the Directors ratified the rule change on April 28. The transfer portal has indeed been liberalized.
Sorry, didn't mean to post this twice in reply. Hectic day!

You missed Russ' point. The transfer portal didn't change - the transfer rules themselves did. This is largely semantics, but what he stated was factual.

Per Russ:

"There has not been a "liberalization of the transfer portal rules."
Thanks for the clarification, but it is just semantics, as you say. The transfer portal and its rules and regulations have changed college sports fundamentally.

I think the losers are:
Teams that stack talent

Winners:
Players - this is almost nothing but good for players (yes there are exceptions)
I like your assessment, Good Knight. You take an optimistic view that this rules change helps level the playing field. I hope you are right.

I think the losers are:
Teams that stack talent

Winners:

Another loser...Teams that play a short roster, 8 or 9 players.

Players 10, 11, 12 and 13 may decide to move on if they are not projected to be in that Top 8 or 9 the next year.

BUT......on the flip side, if you play a long roster some guys may not be happy with the limited minutes because every guy thinks they should be playing 30 + minutes...lol

Last edited:
Chopping, That's a tough one. If you play 12, then your top 5 aren't happy and you're not putting your best players on the court for long stretches. That might hurt the record which will cause discord on the team. If you play only 7 (like K prefers) then you have talented players you're developing in practice but are likely to jump at guaranteed PT. I think most coaches will still play the 8 that give them the best chance to win. But out of conference, some coaches will be more strategic ..but sometimes at their peril.

Chopping, That's a tough one. If you play 12, then your top 5 aren't happy and you're not putting your best players on the court for long stretches. That might hurt the record which will cause discord on the team. If you play only 7 (like K prefers) then you have talented players you're developing in practice but are likely to jump at guaranteed PT. I think most coaches will still play the 8 that give them the best chance to win. But out of conference, some coaches will be more strategic ..but sometimes at their peril.

I added another point after your comment.

BUT......on the flip side, if you play a long roster some guys may not be happy with the limited minutes because every guy thinks they should be playing 30 + minutes...lol

Exactly. That is what I wrote.

There has been no change to the transfer portal itself. It is functioning as it was created.

A player fills out and submits the required paperwork to his or her school's Compliance Department. The Compliance Department has two business days to create that player's entry in the transfer portal. Once the Compliance Department has done its job the kid gets an email telling him or her that they are in the portal.

The Transfer Portal is a compliance tool to systematically manage the transfer process from start to finish, add more transparency to the process among schools and empower student-athletes to make known their desire to consider other programs.

The portal is basically an online database. Instead of coaches having to call the Compliance Department of a school to confirm that a kid has received his release now they can check online.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Thanks for the clarification, but it is just semantics, as you say. The transfer portal and its rules and regulations have changed college sports fundamentally.
The transfer portal hasn't done anything other than make the process more transparent.

The transfer rules and regulations have changed college sports fundamentally. That is indeed a fact.

If the transfer portal did not exist, the same number of kids would have asked for a release so they could transfer. The two main reasons the number of transfers are so high this year is because of the additional year of eligibility the NCAA created due to Covid, and the one time transfer rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT