ADVERTISEMENT

My exhaustive list of intriguing transfer candidates (and ongoing transfer watch)

I think the players are using this transfer portal to their advantage. It like hitting the rest button on recruiting. How else do you explain guys jumping from lower level schools to high majors. These same players couldn't get a whiff from the coaches just a few years ago. Now the same coaches are falling over each other to get a chance to recruit them.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Weekend tidbits I missed... Nothing Rutgers-related:

(Gresham has also visited Minnesota; originally from St. Paul)

A million frowny faces:

It's completely baffling to me that Seton Hall is putting the full court press on a lot of these transfers and Rutgers is nowhere to be found.

I don't get it as well. SHU just got a committment a few days ago and they need someone to leave to have a scholarship available. Now they are after Bynum from St. Joe's and Cole from Howard. If they added those two guys they would have to lose 3 guys. Bynum and Cole I believe would both be sit out guys. Cole is very good. Someone speculated on Thompson but who knows if that is accurate. The only guy I see who hardly played was Brodie and I wouldn't think they would take back Reynolds ship as he played pretty well for them.

Reactions: macdad90
I don't get it as well. SHU just got a committment a few days ago and they need someone to leave to have a scholarship available. Now they are after Bynum from St. Joe's and Cole from Howard. If they added those two guys they would have to lose 3 guys. Bynum and Cole I believe would both be sit out guys. Cole is very good. Someone speculated on Thompson but who knows if that is accurate. The only guy I see who hardly played was Brodie and I wouldn't think they would take back Reynolds ship as he played pretty well for them.

I do wonder if they're worried about Powell leaving. Although I guess then they'd probably be big on grad transfers immediately eligible.

It seems like possibly Pikiell is putting his coaching staff first. He is also out of one of his top recruiters with Jay Young gone. Something tells me the stony brook student athlete is on top list, and Pikiell has been in communication with him.

Thompson is more than likely leaving The Hall. He was glued to the bench down the stretch

They have been making the tourney and Willard just turned down an ACC school.

Right now they are on more kids radar than RU.

Total speculation on my part: Pike already has Yeboah locked up as a grad transfer, but can't announce until the kid actually graduates from Stony Brook. This would explain the lack of buzz about Rutgers being in the mix for a bunch of grad transfers.

The lack of buzz about any sit-out transfers is rather perplexing, however.

Pike is definitely always on the recruiting trail. He keeps most to the vest. I really don't think too many coaches work harder on recruiting than he does.

Total speculation on my part: Pike already has Yeboah locked up as a grad transfer, but can't announce until the kid actually graduates from Stony Brook. This would explain the lack of buzz about Rutgers being in the mix for a bunch of grad transfers.

A sit-out transfer? No thank you. Bishop Daniels ... Nigel Johnson ... Peter Kiss? No thanks. Let’s see if Jacob Young is more than a minor contributor at RU before investing a redshirt year on another sit-out. Rather have a couple of 1-year rentals like the kid from SB and (please, please, please) a shooter.

A few interesting names on the Transfer list.

Andre Rafus, 6-9, F, Fr., Eastern Michigan : Played at Roselle Catholic, from Baltimore.

Frankie Policelli, 6-8, 215, F, Fr., Dayton - Held a Rutgers offer.

A sit-out transfer? No thank you. Bishop Daniels ... Nigel Johnson ... Peter Kiss? No thanks. Let’s see if Jacob Young is more than a minor contributor at RU before investing a redshirt year on another sit-out. Rather have a couple of 1-year rentals like the kid from SB and (please, please, please) a shooter.

Transfers are a giant part of the process these days, you can't completely ignore it. The lack of success we've had with transfers correlates more with our lack of success as a team than with the fact they were transfers. I'm also not selling my Peter Kiss stock just yet.

Transfers are a giant part of the process these days, you can't completely ignore it. The lack of success we've had with transfers correlates more with our lack of success as a team than with the fact they were transfers. I'm also not selling my Peter Kiss stock just yet.

Don't sell is right, but not for the reason you state. If Kiss becomes a 40% 3 point shooter minutes will be found. In addition, i think it is crystal clear coming in to this season what will be required of him (other than shooting) to make the rotation.

Gators backup C stays in the state:
1. Keith Stone is a power forward not a center.
2. He started all but the last 4 games he played in.
3. He tore an ACL in mid January so it might be November before he is cleared for basketball related activities.
4. Great kid. I'm really rooting for him.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Don't sell is right, but not for the reason you state. If Kiss becomes a 40% 3 point shooter minutes will be found. In addition, i think it is crystal clear coming in to this season what will be required of him (other than shooting) to make the rotation.
Plus, as crowded as the backcourt is now, we're a few key injuries from him being an integral part of the rotation rather than a potential odd man out. We're just not used to having real depth around here.

Jake Toolson goes (back) to BYU, where he started his career before transferring to Utah Valley:

Temple gets another Big Ten transfer:

Georgia Tech gets a big-time shooter (I didn't list him because of his size, 5'11" 155):

It is not necessary to actually graduate before announcing. Many have already done it.

We definitely need to close Yeboah, otherwise it doesn't look good on landing any top transfers unfortunately.

If I can remember the quote I'd like to quote Gary Gnews from the Great Space Coaster.

Why do we want/need a grad transfer?

If I can remember the quote I'd like to quote Gary Gnews from the Great Space Coaster.

Why do we want/need a grad transfer?

My answer to that: Because the caliber of high school prospect you can reasonably expect to get at this stage will provide less value than the right grad transfer.

Think of a scholarship going to Akwasi Yeboah this year, and then Class Of 2020 Random High Schooler X for three years. (Of course there's the fourth year but for this recruiting cycle we're worried about value for the 2020-2023 seasons)

Contrast that with a scholarship going to Class Of 2019 Random High Schooler Y for four years. It's reasonable to assume High Schooler Y and High Schooler X are of the same talent level and will produce similar value in their freshman, sophomore, and junior years. You get the freshman through senior seasons of High Schooler Y, while you get the freshman through junior seasons of High Schooler X, with the senior season of Yeboah.

Which is better? My guess is three years of High Schooler X plus one year of Yeboah. Certainly there is a line at which the value of High Schooler Y's senior season value is going to eclipse that of a graduate transfer's. I think Yeboah is comfortably above that line.

I could absolutely be wrong. Marquette right now probably would've taken a mid-range 3* kid last spring instead of Joseph Chartouney, knowing what they know now. But North Carolina State was probably quite happy to have Wyatt Walker on their team last year instead of a mid-range 3* prospect.

I also suspect that the average value of a top-50 grad transfer is rising. This year's class will be stronger than last year's class, and (barring any changes to the rule) next year's class will be stronger than this year's. This is simply because more players are exercising the option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT