ADVERTISEMENT

My Take 0n the Game

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
We come out with more positive in this game than OSU did.

As the announcers said a few times- the score does not tell the game. This was really a battle as tight as it can get with the either 1-3 team in the country.

Our defense is as legit as it gets. Our OL has grown up and is just a power running OL. Powell in this game could have been the difference.

I walk away proud as shit of our team.

Last edited:
We come out with more positive in this game then OSU did.

As the announcers said a few times- the score does not tell the game. This was really a battle as tight as it can get with the either 1-3 team in the country.

Our defense is as legit as it gets. Our OL has grown up and is just a power running OL. Powell in this game could have been the difference.

Absolutely right! The future is bright, and I'm not just talking about the distant future. Our boys showed up today. A little better execution on O, and the world is shook up tonight.

No Powell, No Konga, No Ahantou. DC was pulling rabbits out of his ass. Same for our OC, the plays were there to be made and they just didn't make them. Game plan was excellent.

Last edited:
Score one TD from inside the 5, don’t give up the Wimsatt Special — AKA Pick-6 — and the final could’ve been 28-20.

Konga played, at least according to Carlin he was back
O I definitely missed that at the game and it's damn tough to miss big #90. Did he get a lot of snaps or limited rotation.

No doubt. 1-3 plays going differently and we are taking about a win

Pick six the difference in the game. Complete that or just not turn it over its still a ballgame.
Yep. I'd add overshooting Dremel when he was wide open for a likely walk in TD was huge missed opportunity too. We left 11 points on the field in the 1st half between that play and neither WR making a block on Monangai's long run. If one of them just get in the DB's way, he scores. Instead we settle for 3.

A guy I know said he wanted to see OSU have to have their 1st team in for the whole game. -In other words, make 'em have to sweat to post a "W". Rutgers did that today in spades, and in terms of physical play, RU gave the Buckeyes as good as they got.

Rutgers played hard-nosed, brought the lumber on defense, and on offense the line was often pushing back one of the top D's in the country.

No, we didn't get the win, but I'm damned proud of this team.

Pick six the difference in the game. Complete that or just not turn it over its still a ballgame.

I was more bothered by leaving 8 points over 2 FGs and not TDs

Throwing to a 5' 9" 185 lb receiver (and RU lies about stats like that) on the 2 yd line with Buckeye DBs right there was a waste of time. I'm not a fan of mini receivers in EZ where contested balls are regular, and where there are no YAC gains for light players

Reactions: winfield102
Score one TD from inside the 5, don’t give up the Wimsatt Special — AKA Pick-6 — and the final could’ve been 28-20.
The freak pick 6 and the short field TD at the end would give them 21. If we get a FG on the pick 6 drive and as you say, hit the end zone on one of those inside the 5 drives, we’re right there. All of these are reasonable and not far fetched. It was right there.

RU = 232 yards rushing and 1 sack late
OL dominated OSU all day
Best RU OL game in ages
RU should have run for TDs
Get OL coach a tip jar
How about those Black Knights! Just busted my Air Force father-in-law's balls as last week he boasted how they were going to crush Army.

How about those Black Knights! Just busted my Air Force father-in-law's balls as last week he boasted how they were going to crush Army.

It wasn't a bad prediction but when it comes to academy ball you just cant tell these days

Than

game shows that progress is being made and we can expect the program to continue improving it's competitiveness in 2024.

The style of play that GS and team has put on the field is inspiring. This felt like a heavyweight slugfest which I was not expecting. If we had some more skill, we win. Gotta give Iowa this same aggression.

Reactions: Knight Shift

And I didn't notice Wright-Collins out there.

Throwing to a 5' 9" 185 lb receiver (and RU lies about stats like that) on the 2 yd line with Buckeye DBs right there was a waste of time. I'm not a fan of mini receivers in EZ where contested balls are regular, and where there are no YAC gains for light players
'

There is no Britt or Carroo on this team. So you wouldn't throw to Tom Brown?

Same play call that UW picked off. I called it. Obvious with that formation.

It's funny, or maybe not. I am going to bring up everyone's favorite subject- our QB.

Gavin is 19 y/o and really does not have a true number 1 or number 2 WR. Dremel has been a lot of fun as a slot, Jackson has done some good things but it is his first time going against this type of competition and Washington is a good player but not a 1 or 2. Strong may have the chance to become a 1 or 2 but very young. And we know that Gavin has accuracy problems- did I say 19. But- this team really has so much of his characteristics. Still deeply flawed in some ways but oh boy- we are going to come at you and come at you no matter what gets thrown at us. Gavin also seems to have the full respect of the team and love having him back there.
I don't think I would trade that for a kid with 60% but maybe not the same leadership.

The ball Gavin threw into the EZ that was caught but dropped on the follow-through to the ground- I am going blank on if the was Strong or Washington. Great pass- and we get glimpses of these kinds of throws and a great effort. But everything in me says- if we had a Britt, Carroo, Sanu etc- that ball is caught. It isn't a knock on the WR's as they play their asses off but it is the truth.

Gavin had his big miss too- long ball to Dremel who was wide open...But I can live with those as I do thing he gets better and it is better than many QB's we have had that couldnt be trusted with a 10 yd pass.

Someone in a different thread brought up Longerbeam and that he got burnt for 2 TD passes- damn, some of you guys(and the person who posted it) I don't think you all have any clue about actually playing the game. D Revis would have most likely given up those 2 TD passes as well. Their 2 1st round WR's had 8-54 all game. Game balls need to be given to Melton and Longerbeam

Oh, what could have been. The short field for their 1st TD on the flubbed punt. The missed pass to Dremel, the dropped pass in the corner, the pick 6 on a perfect bounce to them and the non block by either WR on the butt run. I kind of get it- at first, looked like KM had the angle and just putting their bodies in the way would still get him to the TD and I am sure that is taught rather than taking a chance on a block to the back that calls evrything back. But that was a huge miss there.

The point is that you can see that we are just on that cusp this year. We won every stat in this game except points but just a few things executed better and we may have won this game by two scores.

I really can't remember the last time I have been so excited to watch this team play over the past decade.

To win at the highest level teams need playmakers which Rutgers lacks at many positions.Rutgers clearly out played Ohio State in the first half but only had a 9-7 lead.It was only a matter of time before Harrison showed his All American ability in the second half while Rutgers was only able to score seven points.Great effort which hopefully will lead to at least one more league win.

It's funny, or maybe not. I am going to bring up everyone's favorite subject- our QB.

Gavin is 19 y/o and really does not have a true number 1 or number 2 WR. Dremel has been a lot of fun as a slot, Jackson has done some good things but it is his first time going against this type of competition and Washington is a good player but not a 1 or 2. Strong may have the chance to become a 1 or 2 but very young. And we know that Gavin has accuracy problems- did I say 19. But- this team really has so much of his characteristics. Still deeply flawed in some ways but oh boy- we are going to come at you and come at you no matter what gets thrown at us. Gavin also seems to have the full respect of the team and love having him back there.
I don't think I would trade that for a kid with 60% but maybe not the same leadership.

The ball Gavin threw into the EZ that was caught but dropped on the follow-through to the ground- I am going blank on if the was Strong or Washington. Great pass- and we get glimpses of these kinds of throws and a great effort. But everything in me says- if we had a Britt, Carroo, Sanu etc- that ball is caught. It isn't a knock on the WR's as they play their asses off but it is the truth.

Gavin had his big miss too- long ball to Dremel who was wide open...But I can live with those as I do thing he gets better and it is better than many QB's we have had that couldnt be trusted with a 10 yd pass.

Someone in a different thread brought up Longerbeam and that he got burnt for 2 TD passes- damn, some of you guys(and the person who posted it) I don't think you all have any clue about actually playing the game. D Revis would have most likely given up those 2 TD passes as well. Their 2 1st round WR's had 8-54 all game. Game balls need to be given to Melton and Longerbeam

Oh, what could have been. The short field for their 1st TD on the flubbed punt. The missed pass to Dremel, the dropped pass in the corner, the pick 6 on a perfect bounce to them and the non block by either WR on the butt run. I kind of get it- at first, looked like KM had the angle and just putting their bodies in the way would still get him to the TD and I am sure that is taught rather than taking a chance on a block to the back that calls evrything back. But that was a huge miss there.

The point is that you can see that we are just on that cusp this year. We won every stat in this game except points but just a few things executed better and we may have won this game by two scores.

I really can't remember the last time I have been so excited to watch this team play over the past decade.
He turned 20 Oct 29. Accuracy is hard to improve but hopefully the playing experience results in better decision making next year because he is our qb if he wants to be, Schiano has put all his eggs in one basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT