ADVERTISEMENT

New Brunswick restaurants, 2016 thread

It's not a TGI Friday I'll assume you have never been to one.

If you are referring to the fact it is a chain place then yes, but so is World of Beer and The Counter.

I've been to the one in Bensalem and it is basically a newer Friday's with more TV's. I think better off in East Bruns than New Bruns. NB does need a real sports bar though and it would kill. One of the former big name players should get on that. Brian Leonard coming to mind.

Just saw this thread but a few things.
1. Tacoria came out of nowhere and killed it at the end of the school year. Very different from Chipotle but also very good. NIce change of pace.
2. Daniel's Pizzeria by Courtlandt became the hottest pizza joint in town - my new personal favorite pizza place in New Brunswick.
3. Very interested to see how the new places on College Ave do in the fall, as they will provide some additional options in town.
4. Also can't wait for Wingz Over to make it's comeback (if it ever does). For those who don't know it burned down in I believe December.

so Criminals and Tacos never opened, anyone know what happened? They have a sign on the door that says "see you in September" but I somehow doubt it. Tacoria and Fritz's are both very good, and seemingly successful.

On George St., The Counter is still closed, and Tumulty's is now closed, but I believe will re-open at some point. I, for one, hope they change very little, I liked Tumulty's just as it was. The Latina place (forget the name) seems to be very successful. I hope so, I eat there regularly and like it.

I think Criminals and Tacos was open at some point, maybe they realized it was slow during the summer and they were new so better off reopening when students are back. The Latina place= Esquina Latina, I like it too and have gone a few times.

I'm wondering when the places at The Yard are due to open.

This casual and inventive new spot is just what New Brunswick dining needs

"We don't want to be a special occasion restaurant," said Mark Farro, a principal of the operation whose name stands for ingredients and craft.

"We want you to have a place to go where you can have one or two good cocktails, a small bite and not break the wallet."

In New Brunswick, where there are several expensive restaurants nearby, "We found a little niche that hopefully we can live in for awhile," Farro said.

http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2016/11/cheers_for_the_whiskey_and_food_at_new_brunswicks_inc.html

Tumulty's is open again. I haven't been there, but maybe on Friday. Does anyone know the extent of the renovations? Perhaps I am in the minority, but I liked it just the way it was, and I'm hoping that not much has changed.

Last edited:
Tumulty's is open again. I haven't been there, but maybe on Friday. Does anyone know the extent of the renovations? Perhaps I am in the minority, but I liked it just the way it was, and I'm hoping that not much has changed.

The place is opened up, so not as many tables. All the oldschool interior design is gone, and I do not miss it. In my opinion, the place was severely outdated. I still find the food to be a little expensive.

It has potential, but I will not be a regular there anytime soon. I will go maybe once every four months.

Go check it out!

A Central Jersey Local’s Guide to New Brunswick Restaurants near Rutgers

With over 15,000 students and five different campuses, there’s a lot going on at Rutgers University. Whether you’re a student or just visiting, you’ll need to know the best places to eat in the area. The selections made by Central Jersey in Motion are all a short walk from the campuses and will come in handy for those not familiar with the area. With so many restaurants and eateries at your fingertips we are always ready for your suggestions on who we may have missed or who the new kids on the block are! Enjoy!

http://www.centraljerseyinmotion.co...guide-new-brunswick-restaurants-near-rutgers/

Had Tacoria for the first time over the weekend since I've wanted to go for awhile. Place was the goods, phenomenal tacos!!!

Reactions: Korbermeister
Wawa enthusiasts will be happy to know that their pitstop extroadinaire will soon have a location 2-3 miles from college ave, across from McDonald's in rt. 27 in somerset

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
saj7duziv9keskaqimg8.jpg
Wales enthusiasts will be happy to know that their pitstop extroadinaire will soon have a locating 2-3 miles from college ave, across from McDonald's in rt. 27 in somerset
Any idea what the cross street is? There's a Quik Chek going in down How Lane and 27.

Roosterspin coming to former location of La Fontana
Damn. Why the heck is NB always this battlefield of like-products? No one ever wins that way and they always end up putting each other out of business. A few years ago, it was the war of fro-yo places. Then it was the Burger wars. Now it's the Korean chicken wing wars considering Bon Chon opened a few blocks down George.

Damn. Why the heck is NB always this battlefield of like-products? No one ever wins that way and they always end up putting each other out of business. A few years ago, it was the war of fro-yo places. Then it was the Burger wars. Now it's the Korean chicken wing wars considering Bon Chon opened a few blocks down George.
You forgot The 100 Years Burrito War , still going strong surprisingly

Reactions: scarlet night
This is Bon Chon's 2nd attempt in Brunswick also

You forgot The 100 Years Burrito War , still going strong surprisingly
How could I?!? Yes, absolutely true. Though I'm not sure who's still standing to fight this war other than Chipotle. Qdoba went down in the second round. Bukaboo's barely stepped in the ring. Surf Taco?? I don't know who else.

Also, don't know if fair to say, but technically there was a fat sandwich skirmish. Though I'd argue the market was big enough to support that war for quite some time.

This is Bon Chon's 2nd attempt in Brunswick also
I stopped in the new location a few weeks ago and spoke with the Operator. Apparently the guys who opened up the Ferren Deck location (a pair of RU alums) didn't know what they were doing and opted not to reopen. This is a new franchisee. They're not going to make it. Rent has to be exorbitant and they're not getting traffic.

How could I?!? Yes, absolutely true. Though I'm not sure who's still standing to fight this war other than Chipotle. Qdoba went down in the second round. Bukaboo's barely stepped in the ring. Surf Taco?? I don't know who else.

Also, don't know if fair to say, but technically there was a fat sandwich skirmish. Though I'd argue the market was big enough to support that war for quite some time.
Tacoria, the best of the bunch and Criminals And Tacos is somehow still open. So you have: surf taco, bubbakoos, chipotle, tacoria and c&t in a. 5 square mile, duking it out

Last edited:
Isn't Bubbakoos closed or am I thinking of another one it's the one on Albany? They've had a sign in the window saying closed for repairs will re-open in Feb 2016!

Isn't Bubbakoos closed or am I thinking of another one it's the one on Albany? They've had a sign in the window saying closed for repairs will re-open in Feb 2016!
Bubbakoos was open when I went by today but criminals and tacos didn't look open. Click U is still in Hoboken and they need to move back to NB :(

Tacoria is the best by far anyways with Surf Taco second. I might have been thinking of Shaka if that was the name of one of them.

Reactions: Korbermeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT