ADVERTISEMENT

New Jersey's Radio Station

RU old timer

Junior
Feb 26, 2015
I know that the topic of 101.5 not supporting Rutgers has been discussed here before...but not in the Big 10 era. We should have both athletic and academic content on the station. It does not have to be--it should not be-- restricted to sports. Having games on WOR is not the answer. Nor is a one-hour Big 10 show on WCTC. This should not be a forum for assessment of the station--Rutgers should be on the station--regardless of time of day. I can't understand why the BOG has not tried/succeeded in getting this accomplished as a Big 10 University--especially to get increased exposure in South Jersey which is not RU country.

That's exactly the problem. If (since) they aren't interested, we should be using the biggest influencers in the state to legally try to change their mind...even if we have to take baby steps with them.

Having games on WOR is the answer. It is the most powerful station in the area that we can get guaranteed time on.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Having games on WOR is the answer. It is the most powerful station in the area that we can get guaranteed time on.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Characterizing 101.5 as "New Jersey's Radio Station" is like calling the "The Gong Show" is New Jersey's TV Show.

Flood & Jordan's radio shows should be on 101.5. It's a no brainer to have it on there instead of WCTC. It would pull in a lot of people and make it a weekly event, just like Ask the Governor or Ask the MVC Commissioner.

Originally posted by newell138:

Originally posted by RU old timer:
That's exactly the problem. If (since) they aren't interested, we should be using the biggest influencers in the state to legally try to change their mind...even if we have to take baby steps with them.
Did I move to North Korea?
I was going to post the same thing but I think old timer may just be a troll with just 22 posts. No one real can be that stupid.

Originally posted by newell138:

Did I move to North Korea?
I was trying to think of a way to phrase a response when I read this as well. Stupid, foolish, idiotic thought.

You can't force (or even lean on) someone to carry programming they do not want, and I'm damn sure we are not going to spend the money to buy the time.

In many states, they would fight like cats and dogs over broadcast rights to the state university's sports teams. In New Jersey, even with the modest level of success we've had in football, demand just is not there. Hopefully, someday it will be.

And while I never listened to 101.5 when I lived in NJ, that station would be an obvious choice if and when it showed any interest. Until then ...

Here in Upstate SC, we have three sports radio station (ESPN, FOX, CBS) which feature their share of local sports programming so it is pretty much Clemson/USCe 24 hours a day. One station even has Furman Fridays every Friday morning.

I know college sports is a much bigger deal down here, but NJ seriously needs a sports station devoted to Rutgers 24/7 to get the state behind the program.

I have actually emailed RU administration on the fact that here in Cape May County there is no radio station that even carries the RU games. We can get 710 on cloudy days but its sketchy. To boot, 97.3 ESPN which is in Atlantic County, NJ, carries the PSU games

I worked at NJ101.5 for five years and I asked this exact question of why we didn't carry the RU football and basketball games since the weekend football/basketball games didn't interfere with the weekday format.

I was told we did aggressively approach RU in the Mid-2000's but that a deal couldn't come to fruition. Now, even today with how well the team is doing and the move to the Big Ten, NJ101.5 has no interest in pursuing this option. I, personally, would have loved to be able to sell the games as a fan. But the rights I think are tied to whomever does the marketing for athletics (Nelligan and now IMG). NJ101.5, being owned by Townsquare Media, is WAY TOO CHEAP now to ever considering doing this plus they don't want to mess up what they have going on now scheduling wise. Heck-they just fired Ray Rossi who was on overnights to run recorded programming from earlier in the day to save some money.

Now their Shore and AC stations make much more sense but WOR covers Monmouth/Ocean and the AC ESPN station covers HS Football on Saturdays.

NJ 101.5 wouldn't dare pre-empt Big Joe Henry on the weekends!

guys i live in Central New Jersey I dont get WOR very bad You can get 101.5 from Central NJ south no problem

Now if you live in NY or North Jersey WOR is great What we need is something that carries the entire state

I thought WOR-AM out of New York, WCTC-AM out of New Brunswick and WPEN (97.5 FM) out of Philadelphia (technically they have a transmitter in Burlington, NJ) provided the bulk of radio coverage in New Jersey?

I know that the topic of 101.5 not supporting Rutgers has been discussed here before ... but not in the Big Ten [FIFY] era. We should have both athletic and academic content on the station. It does not have to be -- it should not be -- restricted to sports. Having games on WOR is not the answer. Nor is a one-hour Big Ten show on WCTC. This should not be a forum for assessment of the station -- Rutgers should be on the station -- regardless of time of day. I can't understand why the BOG has not tried/succeeded in getting this accomplished as a Big Ten university -- especially to get increased exposure in South Jersey, which is not RU country.
What is an example of "academic content" on a commercial radio station?

Originally posted by MGSA99:
NJ 101.5 wouldn't dare pre-empt Big Joe Henry on the weekends!
And why should they? Big Joe makes them a lot of money. There is a reason why stations like WOR and WCTC are the only ones willing to carry the games. They have no weekend programming. Rutgers football on the radio is a winning $ opportunity. Using examples of southern state have multiple stations fighting for the rights is dumb. This isn't the south. This is the NYC/NJ market where no one cares about college football.

Listen to ESPN radio in the area. Its not much different. Probably 90/10 pro to college coverage. Here in PA it 99.5% Eagles and .5% the rest of the NFL.
Also since every game is televised there is very little need for football on the radio.

I would imagine Big Joe's show has listeners in the hundreds to 1 category. Those in NJ that are interested in Rutgers Football are either at the game or watching it on TV. There is only a limited audience that can't do either.

I listen to 101.5 when driving to south jersey, but can't pick it up north of Newark........

So it wouldn't help me much up here anyway.

How can "New Jersey's Station" not be available in Northern NJ anyway?

CNJKnight" I worked at NJ101.5 for five years and I asked this exact question of why we didn't carry the RU football and basketball games since the weekend football/basketball games didn't interfere with the weekday format.

I was told we did aggressively approach RU in the Mid-2000's but that a deal couldn't come to fruition. Now, even today with how well the team is doing and the move to the Big Ten, NJ101.5 has no interest in pursuing this option. I, personally, would have loved to be able to sell the games as a fan. But the rights I think are tied to whomever does the marketing for athletics (Nelligan and now IMG). NJ101.5, being owned by Townsquare Media, is WAY TOO CHEAP now to ever considering doing this plus they don't want to mess up what they have going on now scheduling wise. Heck-they just fired Ray Rossi who was on overnights to run recorded programming from earlier in the day to save some money.

Now their Shore and AC stations make much more sense but WOR covers Monmouth/Ocean and the AC ESPN station covers HS Football on Saturdays.

Is not our man Tim P. at IMG now and Townsquare Media are whores they will do anything for the almighty $. as for Joe he can be preempted a few weekends in the fall. Hell that is who you increase your base cutting into schedule programs. You will be surprised how the RU base will grow that is how PoSU has such control on SJ This is something JH and Tim and one just one rich Alum can work out!

The State government?? Hahaha. You mean the same people that got rid of NJ Public Television. Yeah don't wait for that to happen.

Is not our man Tim P. at IMG now and Townsquare Media are whores they will do anything for the almighty $. as for Joe he can be preempted a few weekends in the fall. Hell that is who you increase your base cutting into schedule programs. You will be surprised how the RU base will grow that is how PoSU has such control on SJ This is something JH and Tim and one just one rich Alum can work out!

LOL-IMG mostly does Trade/Barter deals with the Radio Stations for air time. Maybe there is some cash involved but not much. 101.5 makes more per :60 of their own programming than they would ever make airing our games. It's never going to happen. 101.5 won't even consider doing 30 minute paid programming because they think it shows that they've given up on their music format.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT