ADVERTISEMENT

New QB thread - RU QB's going forward

Yeah Baby

Heisman Winner
Aug 14, 2001
Let's try building this room up for a change of pace.

I like AK's touch on passes and his ability to read the Defense (based on very limited views of him).

I really like the way Ajani slings the rock. He's got nice size to him but seems like a passer more than a runner.

I like the overall game of Surace. Decent enough arm but really smart and seems like he puts the ball where it needs to be. Actually arm looks strong in HS film but I'm just commenting at this level.

We are no longer playing 4 Top 7 Defenses. I think our challenge will be on the other side of the ball which is a good thing because we are loaded there and I have confidence in the D. I expect bettter passing and similar run game results with Brown back and Kyle being Kyle. Looks like KC wants to involve the TE more too.

Let's gooooo!

All 3 QBs can run. So it will be interesting to see how much they do run. Will we see the end or the read option? Or will it become an actual RPO? Will the QB be allowed to make the read in real time? Or will we have a whole new scheme?

A lot of that depends on how the coaches feel about the backups.

All 3 QBs can run. So it will be interesting to see how much they do run. Will we see the end or the read option? Or will it become an actual RPO? Will the QB be allowed to make the read in real time? Or will we have a whole new scheme?

A lot of that depends on how the coaches feel about the backups.

One QB had 234 yds over 23 D1 games
That's roughly 10 yards a game

One QB had 234 yds over 23 D1 games
That's roughly 10 yards a game

That’s pretty deceiving considering very few, if any, QB draw plays designed specifically with blocking schemes for him to take off and go.

He has 108 career recorded rush attempts, virtually all of which weren’t situations where him running was the Plan A. 28 of those attempts (26%) were sacks.

The bottom line is he’s an above average scrambler which is the way he’d be used primarily as a runner taking off when a design pass play doesn’t go as expected and he sees an opening. Check out the first play of Q4 in the Minny vs Wisconsin game. It’s this vision that has me optimistic that he will be an upgrade and can really help us. 6:30ish mark of the video.

That’s pretty deceiving considering very few, if any, QB draw plays designed specifically with blocking schemes for him to take off and go.

Indeed, I'm sure he's Tim Tebow 2.0 with the right blocking schemes.
Greg and Kirk are the offensive masters for the job.
They'll be crying back in the Iron Range

No - he won’t. Because we’re not going to run many QB draw plays. Just like we didn’t for Nova. Or Teel. Or Noah. And so on. Just like most teams don’t run them that much. If attempted, it would be a once every 3-4 game play call to keep a D honest. We only ran them so much with Gavin because of our deliberately limited playbook.

But yes, if Minny had run 70 additional plays with blocking schemes designed specifically for him to run, I’m pretty sure he’d have more than 234 career yards.

Also - I love how you ignore the video portion of my post. Maybe I’m just forgetting. Perhaps you can direct us to a link demonstrating scramble ability from our incumbent? I only really recall designed QB draws and hand off fake outs on his runs. Those were great plays and Gavin deserves credit for executing them but being able to scramble for yards is a different skill that adds a lot of value. Perhaps our coaches were wrong and should have trusted Gavin more but regardless, he didn’t scramble much because he was programmed to immediately throw the ball away when a plan A broke down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT