Destiny Adams
Mya Petticord
Antonia Bates
Lisa Thompson

Awa Sidibe?
Kaylene Smikle?

2 incoming recruits who I believe are both guards
Besides lacking depth we literally have one big and no centers
CW is going to have to hit the portal and hit it hard for some bigs!! If not we are in trouble

This is what I see please correct or add additions if I missed anybody

Chyna and Erica were first year 2020 so both have if they wish a covid year. you do need another big though so i guess we hit the spring transfer portal

next year:
Jillian Huerta
Destiny Adams
Mya Petticord
Antonia Bates
Lisa Thompson

Awa Sidibe?
Kaylene Smikle?

CW is going to have to hit the portal and hit it hard for some bigs!! If not we are in trouble

You must have some inside info. on Kaylene.

If the ? is just speculation, you might as well put one next to every name on the roster.

I understand a ? next to Awa because we don't know if she will be awarded a redshirt year or if she is coming back this season.

We also have Kennedy Brandt on the roster.

I believe Zachara Perkins is a versatile wing/forward that has the potential to be used as a point forward like Antonia is working towards. Zachara is the same height, similar build as Destiny, if not taller by now.

Reactions: Ray6232010
You must have some inside info. on Kaylene.

If the ? is just speculation, you might as well put one next to every name on the roster.

I understand a ? next to Awa because we don't know if she will be awarded a redshirt year or if she is coming back this season.

We also have Kennedy Brandt on the roster.

I believe Zachara Perkins is a versatile wing/forward that has the potential to be used as a point forward like Antonia is working towards. Zachara is the same height, similar build as Destiny, if not taller by now.
We need a center ideally and we should be able to pick one up in the portal but for depth she has to pick up 3 girls minimum and how can you not put a question mark next to Smikle!! As they say the silence is deafening
Next year to me is a key year for CW if they don't show major improvement than its time that will be 3 years

next year:
Jillian Huerta
Destiny Adams
Mya Petticord
Antonia Bates
Lisa Thompson

Awa Sidibe?
Kaylene Smikle?

She has been a complete disaster of a hire. She can't even figure out how to fill out a roster.

She has been a complete disaster of a hire. She can't even figure out how to fill out a roster.
Would have disagreed after end of last season. But seeing what appears to be lack of energy to try to get a fuller roster together in the offseason and seeing this team this season, you may be correct.

What concerns me is the lack of urgency in recruiting and player development.The status quo is unsatisfactory for a team ranked last in the B1G Ten.

no comments on current team play but just recruiting. cannot guess if there qare transfers or not nut at the moment 8 certainties and how you needed to proceed for the last 2 months.
Cornwell and Lafayette do have a covid year and i suppose cosch knows if they return and that makes 10.
you would reserve a spot for Mikayla for sure and you , as stated a few times, need a center for this year and next
so you would , in her eyes, be looking at a potential 12 team roster . i dont think she wants to go above 13/12 .
i think the top 200 are pretty much gone so hopes all rest in the Spring portal so we should know soon

How would people in here approach taking over a team with, what, three returning players? For the circumstances, I've been really impressed with the foundation Coach Washington and staff have been building so far. Despite the on-court shortcomings, she has a great group of girls in on the ground floor with her, and it's beginning to show in recruiting. Perkins will be a great contributor, McMiller is going to be a star, and they have a real shot at Blakes. Bringing Kahleah on board, along with Coach Enemkpali on the recruiting side, is really going to pay dividends down the road.

How would people in here approach taking over a team with, what, three returning players? For the circumstances, I've been really impressed with the foundation Coach Washington and staff have been building so far. Despite the on-court shortcomings, she has a great group of girls in on the ground floor with her, and it's beginning to show in recruiting. Perkins will be a great contributor, McMiller is going to be a star, and they have a real shot at Blakes. Bringing Kahleah on board, along with Coach Enemkpali on the recruiting side, is really going to pay dividends down the road.
Maybe by bringing in enough players to field a full team. She won't get a down the road. She is a dead woman walking already.

Reactions: bac2therac
Maybe by bringing in enough players to field a full team. She won't get a down the road. She is a dead woman walking already.
Having a small roster isn't an excuse to chase quantity over quality in HS/portal recruiting. If anything, it's an even quicker way to lose the locker room. Have to grow the roster organically. The buy-in from players, staff, letter-winners, and boosters alike all tell you she's not a "dead woman walking" by any means

Well, here at Arizona, we have a coach apologizing for making a mistake in how she handled filling out the roster, over-recruited the portal in the last season, resulting in excellent players leaving and starting over in what she has stated in the press is a "rebuilding" year, with a shortage of players (for a mix of reasons) and an over-abundance of inexperience.

It isn't all that easy. Arizona had one portal player not qualify, best recruit and early enrollee last year lost for the season (injury) before the season, one leave the team for academics (legit, pre-med program), and 2 season ending surgeries part way through the season. Making it very very difficult.

My point is that it isn't easy. At best, Rutgers could have filled out a roster with non-contributors, in all likelyhood.

Reactions: Fat Koko
One of the benefits of how Coach's first two seasons have played out regarding the roster, is that everyone stays happy because they all remain involved. I will guess that Coach feels like Kennedy may not be ready for the level of play yet to earn minutes. She surely is a valued member of the team though when it comes to practice numbers.

I felt for Erica at the beginning of the season because of her reduced role in favor of our three really talented newcomers at guard. Due to Awa and Kaylene being out, she is getting plenty of minutes, everyone seems to be happy.

The team's comraderie speaks to the culture that Coquese has established. From the top to the bottom of the roster, they seem to genuinely enjoy being around each other.

Most importantly, they are getting the best opportunity to build up those Bball IQs with all the minutes they are getting in top notch competition. Look at how much Chyna has grown with a year and half of real playing time. Bodes well for next year (especially if we can add another elite piece or two to this puzzle) It will all come together nicely.

That said,......I hope we have at least swung for the fences.

We need to have offered THEE top player in the Class of 24 and should be heavily trying to get her to consider us. Yes, it would surprise the wcbb world if she chose us, but after seeing a couple highlight reels and interviews with her, she seems like a good fit, not only for Coquese's desired style of offense, but also with our current group of young ladies, and our culture. She and our incoming elite PG would be the cornerstones to usher in a new era of greatness at RU.. They could also attract whomever they want to come play with them, whether through the portal or Class of '25.

Problem is, Sarah also fits well with NC State, her dad's alma mater.🤨 Maybe Chyna or Kiyomi's Carolina-area ties can be of some help here.

Also, on Sarah Strong.......there's a good chance Coach may have crossed paths with her mom, the Ivy-league and WNBA superstar, Allison Feaster (one of my favorites of that time). I believe Allison is still on the Boston Celtics coaching staff, which, relatively, is not too far from RU.

This is all excuses. She is now in her second year playing short handed with a roster woefully lacking in talent compared to every other BIG team. Just not acceptable.

Is it woefully lacking in talent compared to other BIG teams?

Destiny Adams was a McDonalds All American.
Four other players (Smikle, Petticord, Cornwell, Thompson) were Top 100 recruits coming out of HS.

And there is now a 5-star coming in next year.

My initial take on this year's roster was that Coquese and staff had measurably improved the talent from the previous year.

Which is why the backwards trend in results is concerning. Obviously having Smikle out/never at 100% all year has not helped, and Awa (a true glue player) being out all year has really hurt. Losing the PG the staff brought in (Petticord) for 10 games also was not helpful.

I actually think the size of the roster is not the worst problem; it's in game execution. The biggest issues being team defense and turnovers [both put the team in bottom 2 of B10 teams]. The team's FG%, 3-pt FG%, FT%, rebounding, are all middle of the road.

Reactions: KevH and MADHAT1
What is the status / rumors with Smilke?
Who??? By now we should have heard some explanation as to is it an injury, academics or a disability. Or …”she is still with the program and will be back.” I don’t recall any real reason for Smikle’s not playing.

Who??? By now we should have heard some explanation as to is it an injury, academics or a disability. Or …”she is still with the program and will be back.” I don’t recall any real reason for Smikle’s not playing.
A few games ago the announcers said it was medically related but I don't anything has come from the staff when asked directly

A few games ago the announcers said it was medically related but I don't anything has come from the staff when asked directly
So the announcers are free to make the information available publicly but not the staff? Sounds very 2023/2024. Thought she would make a difference for Rutgers WBB and hope she still stays here.

Lot of people want to criticize and my criticism is Washington should have added at least 1 more player this year because injuries happen.

But, they lost it's best defender for the year and best scorer for a large part of the year and she missed a large part of camp with her injury.

Bottom line, this is a young team with Petticord, Huerter, Bates, Smikle, Thompson all being freshmen or sophomores. That's just about all of their primary perimeter players. When you rebuild with young players you just have to be patient as they gain game experience.

Reactions: MADHAT1
That would also be huge she is 6'0 but listed as a guard; I don't know anything about her but could she play forward or some type of 3 guard offense?
There's a thread on this board that says Blake committed to Vanderbilt in January. Did she decommit from Vandy??

After today's zombie-like performance, Coach will probably shoulder the bulk of blame....rightfully so. Players have been getting some grace based on youth and inexperience.

That said, Coach probably needs to get the roster up to 13 -14 players next season. Then she can hold players more accountable for putting in the work to improve. Players right now are probably a bit too comfortable, knowing that they will continue to play no matter what they look like on the court. They can be turnover machines, poor defenders, inconsistent shooters, etc.

Players have to seek out offseason high level bball settings where they can expand their court awareness and overall bball acumen. Our frosh and sophs surely need to come into the season physically stronger. Sophs especially, being two whole years in, they need to fully turn the corner in the third year. Today should be a motivator because they were intentionally played physically. Jillian couldn't even get any good looks today. She needs to be in the place that Lauren Hanson for Michigan is in right now. She has become lil bit better at creating a shot for herself.

Next season, minutes are going to need to be earned. It's good that everyone is getting the opportunities they currently are experiencing. Not too many other P5 teams would have so many minutes for them, if any, in some cases. Even Destiny, likely, would not be afforded the freedom to put the ball on the floor so much and play the style she is working to develop.

So, yes.......this year's short roster is great for our current players. They just better make the best of it, because expectations have to be high come day 1 of next season. No improvement shown come next season will warrant lots of time on the bench. You can't go two or three seasons with no improvement and convince anyone that you are serious about the game..

No improvement next season would also mean a coaching change is a distinct possibility. There is some talent but who knows if they decide to leave? This was not going to be easy to fix… right now we are in a similar place prior to before the men’s program under Pikiell began. I want Washington to succeed here but thus far it ain’t looking good.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Players have to seek out offseason high level bball settings where they can expand their court awareness and overall bball acumen. Our frosh and sophs surely need to come into the season physically stronger. Sophs especially, being two whole years in, they need to fully turn the corner in the third year.
They can't "seek out high level basketball settings", really. Their 2 options are approved camps (I remember Vivian sending Kia Vaughn to one) and of course, workouts at Rutgers. That said, yes, freshman and sophomores are expected to show year over year improvement. And freshmen are often notably in need of strength training.

Reactions: Esipos1
They can't "seek out high level basketball settings", really. Their 2 options are approved camps (I remember Vivian sending Kia Vaughn to one) and of course, workouts at Rutgers. That said, yes, freshman and sophomores are expected to show year over year improvement. And freshmen are often notably in need of strength training.
Your reply tells me that you understand the point I was making. "Players seeking out" may not have been the best wording to use. The point is centered on the player's determination to get better.

It's like what you saw, most recently, from Arella while she was here. If she had to call her dad down to help her get her shot right. JuJu Watkins getting into the gym and having campus security check with her coach on if they should put her out after hours of putting up shots. Next day, she goes for 51pts against Stanford. That's the attitude I'm talking about.

Determined players are gonna put themselves in position to improve. Not saying they should disregard rules.

I remember us having this conversation a year or two ago, and me bringing up the Cappie-led RU team showing up in Belmar in the summer. It was one of the more competitive places, in close proximity to RU, for women's basketball at the time. It's what gave us the players like the Mabry's, Shakena Richardson and Sy Davis, and the guard that played for Barnes Arrico at Mich. Flaherty??? can't remember her name.

I understand that there are rules against playing in certain leagues, etc. What I'm talking about is what I remember when I still attempted to play a bit, ....there was always local gyms, YMCA, a church gym, etc that somebody had access to on a Sat or Sun morning. A group of weekend warriors sprinkled with some young players would meet up and play quality basketball for a few hours. It's where I learned a lot of the nuances of the game. There were even some 50-somethings schooling the young ones, including myself. You could learn something just by being around it.

That is a quality bball setting that I'm talking about. From North Jersey to the Shore, and beyond, this state used to be saturated with these types of spots. There was a different one for almost every day of the week. Don't know what it's like nowadays, but would hope there's still plenty around.

Your reply tells me that you understand the point I was making. "Players seeking out" may not have been the best wording to use. The point is centered on the player's determination to get better.

It's like what you saw, most recently, from Arella while she was here. If she had to call her dad down to help her get her shot right. JuJu Watkins getting into the gym and having campus security check with her coach on if they should put her out after hours of putting up shots. Next day, she goes for 51pts against Stanford. That's the attitude I'm talking about.

Determined players are gonna put themselves in position to improve. Not saying they should disregard rules.

I remember us having this conversation a year or two ago, and me bringing up the Cappie-led RU team showing up in Belmar in the summer. It was one of the more competitive places, in close proximity to RU, for women's basketball at the time. It's what gave us the players like the Mabry's, Shakena Richardson and Sy Davis, and the guard that played for Barnes Arrico at Mich. Flaherty??? can't remember her name.

I understand that there are rules against playing in certain leagues, etc. What I'm talking about is what I remember when I still attempted to play a bit, ....there was always local gyms, YMCA, a church gym, etc that somebody had access to on a Sat or Sun morning. A group of weekend warriors sprinkled with some young players would meet up and play quality basketball for a few hours. It's where I learned a lot of the nuances of the game. There were even some 50-somethings schooling the young ones, including myself. You could learn something just by being around it.

That is a quality bball setting that I'm talking about. From North Jersey to the Shore, and beyond, this state used to be saturated with these types of spots. There was a different one for almost every day of the week. Don't know what it's like nowadays, but would hope there's still plenty around.
I believe some of the rules have changed as far as offseason practices and obviously strength and conditioning

JuJu Watkins getting into the gym and having campus security check with her coach on if they should put her out after hours of putting up shots. Next day, she goes for 51pts against Stanford. That's the attitude I'm talking about.
Today is not the day to discuss JuJu. We saw her in person tonight. Impressive. Is she the next Clark? Way too early to call. But, as I say, impressive. She was not the exclusive reason USC ran all over Arizona, but she was part of it. The transfer from Penn, Padilla, hitting five or six 3 pointers didn't help either.

Oh, and they have a DJ at the Galen Center that keeps things hopping. He talks into the action at times "give me a yes JuJu" and the crowd responds, but the place was really hopping. Of course you have to have the right audience for it. Incidentally, they had Will Ferrell, Cheryl Miller and Tina Thompson all there. Earlier in the day, we toured the Coliseum and were in Will's 10 years $10 million dollar suite.

Reactions: RUcrazee
I like the DJ idea for us too. A few years ago, I remember one playing at an RUWBB game on a Sat or Sun afternoon game. It was a lively addition. I don't know why that didn't continue (at least, every now and then).

First time getting to see a full game of JuJu and USC this year. Also, first time seeing Arizona. JuJu is extremely talented, BUT............... I would like to see her play with her teammates more. She was looking to score every time she touched it. Too much dribbling.

USC did a great job in the portal getting those 3 experienced All Ivy-league players. The sooner JuJu realizes who she has along side her and invites them to the party, the better USC's chances of having a deep Tourney run.

Got a chance to see one we were close to getting, in Skylar Jones. She looks like a CVS-type player for sure. She looks like she can be a defensive stopper and one you want for employing full court pressure.

As you stated, injuries galore for Arizona. I hope Martinez will be okay. What's the deal with Nnaji??? Sounds like similar unknown we're experiencing with Smikle.

I like the DJ idea for us too. A few years ago, I remember one playing at an RUWBB game on a Sat or Sun afternoon game. It was a lively addition. I don't know why that didn't continue (at least, every now and then).

First time getting to see a full game of JuJu and USC this year. Also, first time seeing Arizona. JuJu is extremely talented, BUT............... I would like to see her play with her teammates more. She was looking to score every time she touched it. Too much dribbling.

USC did a great job in the portal getting those 3 experienced All Ivy-league players. The sooner JuJu realizes who she has along side her and invites them to the party, the better USC's chances of having a deep Tourney run.

Got a chance to see one we were close to getting, in Skylar Jones. She looks like a CVS-type player for sure. She looks like she can be a defensive stopper and one you want for employing full court pressure.

As you stated, injuries galore for Arizona. I hope Martinez will be okay. What's the deal with Nnaji??? Sounds like similar unknown we're experiencing with Smikle.
Nnaji left the program to concentrate on academics and that was legit so far as it went - she is in an accelerated medical program that did not work with the basketball commitment. Subsequently she did some on-line witching (apparently) about toxic atmosphere - but she also said she would not discourage anyone from coming to Arizona. At a guess I wonder if it had something to do with whatever special accommodations she was getting before she left - and especially considering that Pueyo and Martinez get special treatment as to practices because they are grad students with courses that they can't miss / reschedule. Might some other players have been annoyed? Just speculating, as, obviously, the team members that are there are giving their all.

Jones is struggling a bit - but Adia is high on her, so . . . Haven't heard anything about Martinez. She has some on-going health issues and looked like she was really hurting as she was helped off. We were 2 rows behind the bench, across the aisle from Joan Bonvicini, our former coach and Adia's mentor. She was at both games.

Who cares about Arizona? This is a Rutgers board. With that said, Arizona’s coach is apologizing for not recruiting properly, and they are 14-12, while we are 8-20.

Update Richie on premium said it is unlikely that Smikle will be back next year which of course leads me to believe it is not a medical issue!!
With the two recruits that gives us 7 or 8 for next year we need a minimum of 5 in the portal if CW goes into next year with a short roster that is just umacceptable at this time in her tenure and not a good look at all that we can't even come close to a full roster

Update Richie on premium said it is unlikely that Smikle will be back next year which of course leads me to believe it is not a medical issue!!
With the two recruits that gives us 7 or 8 for next year we need a minimum of 5 in the portal if CW goes into next year with a short roster that is just umacceptable at this time in her tenure and not a good look at all that we can't even come close to a full roster
I can understand why you feel it's not a medical issue that will cause her o leave.
Not playing might have been because of health reasons but she might have leaving might have been been unhappy before health problems come up and rather then coming back after she was able to, Smikle decided to sit the year out then leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT