ADVERTISEMENT

No. 9 Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Faces No. 1 Seed North Carolina in NCAA Quarterfinals - Saturday at 2:30 p.m., ESPNU

I can argue the opposite. Parents pay a lot of money to play at PDA in soccer and other sports academies.

You also stated "Nothing good came out of today. Another game one of our athletic teams had that got away. No moral victories.

Great run and nice season but today sucked."

I can argue the opposite. Parents pay a lot of money to play at PDA in soccer and other sports academies.

You also stated "Nothing good came out of today. Another game one of our athletic teams had that got away. No moral victories.

Great run and nice season but today sucked."
Which is why I said HS sports strattles that line for me

Isn't everyone all eligible next year due to Covid? Wondering if any of these guys make come back for another go-round.

This year WAS the extra year for Mullins and Connor Kirst. AC has a year based on medical red shirts. After the Lehigh game he said this was his last year. We'll see if Saturday changes that decision.

That was the case for fall and winter sports this year. Spring sports had their free year last year
Lol that shouldn't count considering spring sports didn't even get through half their season last year. Baseball/softball barely got off the ground and crew didn't have any meets before Covid ended the season.

This year WAS the extra year for Mullins and Connor Kirst. AC has a year based on medical red shirts. After the Lehigh game he said this was his last year. We'll see if Saturday changes that decision.
He’s leaving. That was one helluva a career. Kid is a winner. One the greatest players in our over 100 year history.

He’s leaving. That was one helluva a career. Kid is a winner. One the greatest players in our over 100 year history.
Stud....extremely talented. He will be missed.

That's the human side on endings for these kids that put so much in...I'm an emotional guy and when you see guys not wanting to leave the field...guys like AC and Kieran and Bullett....then you see the parents in the stands...the feeling of finality for these families that have dedicated so much time and money and energy...and passion, win or lose...

TV didn't capture the scene on Saturday after the game...very emotional for all players...they spend 80% of their time together...they are brothers...when you put it all out there, the losing in the end becomes that much more painful...only one team is truly happy at the end...

As @Caliknight knows, Brian loves this senior class...and in the end, they did him right with what they accomplished this year

"Man in the arena"

Best wishes to our guys that will not be here next year...they will all be successful in future endeavors

Stud....extremely talented. He will be missed.

That's the human side on endings for these kids that put so much in...I'm an emotional guy and when you see guys not wanting to leave the field...guys like AC and Kieran and Bullett....then you see the parents in the stands...the feeling of finality for these families that have dedicated so much time and money and energy...and passion, win or lose...

TV didn't capture the scene on Saturday after the game...very emotional for all players...they spend 80% of their time together...they are brothers...when you put it all out there, the losing in the end becomes that much more painful...only one team is truly happy at the end...

As @Caliknight knows, Brian loves this senior class...and in the end, they did him right with what they accomplished this year

"Man in the arena"

Best wishes to our guys that will not be here next year...they will all be successful in future endeavors
The telecast did capture Brecht leaning over with his hands on his knees for several seconds, clearly devastated after the loss. That really summed it up, but yeah, it would've been nice if ESPN could have shown our guys.

Because they are Notre Dame and play in the ACC they will still be ranked ahead of us. It's not fair but that's the way it is
I was thinking about this. It should be based on how the final four play out. Let's say UNC beats Virginia by a solid margin. Should that push them below us? Debatable although we know the ACC bias won't let it happen.

What if Maryland loses to Duke? Does that devalue the Notre Dame result? But it also makes our losses to Maryland a little less impressive.

I could see us landing anywhere from 5 to 7 in reality. I think we deserve to be #5 but I predict we end at #6.

I was thinking about this. It should be based on how the final four play out. Let's say UNC beats Virginia by a solid margin. Should that push them below us? Debatable although we know the ACC bias won't let it happen.

What if Maryland loses to Duke? Does that devalue the Notre Dame result? But it also makes our losses to Maryland a little less impressive.

I could see us landing anywhere from 5 to 7 in reality. I think we deserve to be #5 but I predict we end at #6.

Virginia thumped Georgetown in the quarters so it will be hard to put them below #4. Loyola had more regular season losses but beat Georgetown so they would to fit #7, with Georgetown at #8. That would put RU and ND at #5 & #6 with the ESPN/Baltimore Mafia bias in play.

Of course Syracuse deserves a 4 spot penalty to assessed in the 2022 rankings but we know that won't happen.

All good, no apologies needed....

Fans are crazy and passionate and want to win...when things don't end like we want, sometimes people tend to overreact and say very stupid things...it happens and some people can't help themselves....hell, I've said some dumb things on a message board...the key thing is being mature enough to understand when you let your emotions get the best of you..and admit "said" post was idiotic....

Saturday was a tough loss for one reason...the kids. They battled hard, and most of the guys (including the staff) have a play or two they would like back...my son made a couple of costly mistakes in the second half...he knows that, he feels sick about it...but he also played a really good game on ball defensively against elite offensive players....UNC averages 17 goals per game...we gave up 11 (in regulation)...think about that

Lots of people made costly errors...it's a team game...we got stuffed on the doorstep in what was a sure goal, we had a great opportunity on the run to score in transition and we threw the ball behind our guy for a costly turnover...we had a failed back up of a shot late in the game that cost us a possession...that's essentially a turnover...we could name a bunch...but who really cares...you win and lose as a team....you have 20-25 plays in a game you wish you could have back...getting one or two could change the outcome...but we lost....UNC made the plays late...they have elite athletes too...

It was a dispapointing ending because we lost and had a chance....however a "bad" ending would have been getting run of the field by 10-12 goals...that would be the definition of a "bad" ending - see Georgetown

This team took a huge step this year...that's not even debatable...they took the next step...now hopefully they can build on it....the next huge step would be getting to championship weekend....which takes an elite effort, and some luck...

I get people are passionate...you can say they made execution errors....just don't say they didn't hustle or didn't give effort...that's where you lose me...our kids left it all out there and when your under physical duress...you make mental mistakes....we fell short...too bad...
Great post. You summed it up perfectly. That was an amazing game between two elite teams. Each of the units made a few more errors over the course of the game than UNC. That was really all that separated these teams. It takes a lot of talent and hard work to build a team to this level and it was a thing of beauty to watch it match the best the ACC has to offer.

R is on the rise. Recruiting has picked up and the transfer market should be good to us. With the guys coming back for a 5th year we are going to be strong in certain areas with other areas needing to develop.

As to the guys who graduated and are leaving, some legendary names in that group. Looking forward to being with them on the sidelines rooting our guys on.

Hopefully he is a high major recruit and we are in the hunt! We have a good track record with that family (at least when we get them here) so far :-)

Yea he’s a goalie. I think he’s in 10th grade.

The Ivies keep screwing up and there could be a transfer from Cornell. IIRC that whole team withdrew from school for the spring term when they couldn't get a straight answer about the season during the winter.

The Ivies keep screwing up and there could be a transfer from Cornell. IIRC that whole team withdrew from school for the spring term when they couldn't get a straight answer about the season during the winter.
Im cool if the Ivies just want to do away with sports completely and use Covid as an excuse to do so.

Reactions: red sail
There is a big push to de-emphasize sports in the Ivy. It’s gaining traction.

There is a big push to de-emphasize sports in the Ivy. It’s gaining traction.
If that is true, it would be tragic for the Ivy League. College as we know isn’t all about academics. School Recruiters preach attracting well rounded students so that when they enter the real world, they can interact among various cultures/personalities/view points. Nixing sports and Student athletes would be short sighted in my humble opinion.

If that is true, it would be tragic for the Ivy League. College as we know isn’t all about academics. School Recruiters preach attracting well rounded students so that when they enter the real world, they can interact among various cultures/personalities/view points. Nixing sports and Student athletes would be short sighted in my humble opinion.
When I hire, the first thing I look for is did they participate in team sports...D3/D1....whatever...if a kid was part of a team, they are strong on discipline, strong on commitment, understand adversity, and understand how to gel with people they may not like...and many times your operating under stress....I love looking for athletes...not to mention great personality...after that, then I dig into the academic stuff...

Academically speaking, I'm a schlep...the joke in my house is I tell my boys all the time, "don't be like me...do better"

I've been through a few M&A situations and had to sit through those meetings...I always get a kick out of the young private equity IVY grads grilling me in those meetings...and don't get me wrong, they're sharp...but they just fit a profile...they all seem to act and look the same (I know that's bad of me to say 😜)

I hope Ivies stay in the game...it's good for everybody...

Wow, that looks incredibly fast paced. Was that video sped up?

Not sped up, but those are highlights. They left out a French pass in the 4th qtr. which was the greatest feed I've seen in 50+ years watching the game. And they only showed about 10% Richie Moran's rant over a bad call.

And you have to understand that those 2 teams were easily the 2 top teams in the 70's. That was the 1st year the Ivies allowed freshman to play, which means Cornell had Bob Hendrickson (future 1st team AA) on the field. This can't be said for many, but you give those 2 teams 2021 equipment and they could both be Final 4 teams in the 2020s. With the extended eligibility and transfer rules it would be a stretch in 2021, but easily in any other year. McEneaney, French and Urso are immortals, and both teams were loaded with current and future AAs.

When I hire, the first thing I look for is did they participate in team sports...D3/D1....whatever...if a kid was part of a team, they are strong on discipline, strong on commitment, understand adversity, and understand how to gel with people they may not like...and many times your operating under stress....I love looking for athletes...not to mention great personality...after that, then I dig into the academic stuff...

Academically speaking, I'm a schlep...the joke in my house is I tell my boys all the time, "don't be like me...do better"

I've been through a few M&A situations and had to sit through those meetings...I always get a kick out of the young private equity IVY grads grilling me in those meetings...and don't get me wrong, they're sharp...but they just fit a profile...they all seem to act and look the same (I know that's bad of me to say 😜)

I hope Ivies stay in the game...it's good for everybody...
I work in finance and went to a dinner over a decade ago with our Goldman sales guy. He brought along about 5 associates. It was amazing, every single one of the juniors went Ivy and played a varsity sport. Track, field hockey, whatever. Clear who they were targeting when hiring. Well rounded individuals as they say.

Reactions: Golfer2019
I work in finance and went to a dinner over a decade ago with our Goldman sales guy. He brought along about 5 associates. It was amazing, every single one of the juniors went Ivy and played a varsity sport. Track, field hockey, whatever. Clear who they were targeting when hiring. Well rounded individuals as they say.

Where did they get their MBAs?

Most of all the defense poles. Probably weigh about 1/3 of what they did back then.
You are spot on here...you look at the poles today....Stick skills and speed....most are long and lean...don't get me wrong...they are also strong...but they are pure athletes....and that's no disrespect to the frames and styles of older guys, but the game has transformed and long poles may have changed the most in terms of the frame they carry...

Look at Bobby Russo....Ethan Rall....Zack....I know two are LSMs, but my point is Bobby Russo gets out in transition and plays very good close defense....and he is not a big dude....

Anyway, I digress...

I'm excited...44 will be home here tonight and we will go play a few holes of golf and raise a glass to what was a very good run....

You are spot on here...you look at the poles today....Stick skills and speed....most are long and lean...don't get me wrong...they are also strong...but they are pure athletes....and that's no disrespect to the frames and styles of older guys, but the game has transformed and long poles may have changed the most in terms of the frame they carry...

Look at Bobby Russo....Ethan Rall....Zack....I know two are LSMs, but my point is Bobby Russo gets out in transition and plays very good close defense....and he is not a big dude....

Anyway, I digress...

I'm excited...44 will be home here tonight and we will go play a few holes of golf and raise a glass to what was a very good run....

There were no LSMs back then. They didn't arrive until the early 80s. But most teams ran 3 midfields, one of which would have 3 players that are exactly what SSDMs are today. However, it was rare for any to have the offensive skills #44 displayed this year. D1 close defensemen were typically 6'2 and 205-210. Not so say none of them were athletes, some were very much so. But it was rare for a close D to be less that 6' and 180, under 10% in my recollection. The 5' 10" 175 close D were usually found in D3.

Cheers to you and #44.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Where did they get their MBAs?
My understanding was that they had all relatively recently graduated from undergrad and MBAs were in their future. The senior sales guy was not Ivy but attended Texas/Austin undergrad and Duke/Fuqua for B-school.

There were no LSMs back then. They didn't arrive until the early 80s. But most teams ran 3 midfields, one of which would have 3 players that are exactly what SSDMs are today. However, it was rare for any to have the offensive skills #44 displayed this year. D1 close defensemen were typically 6'2 and 205-210. Not so say none of them were athletes, some were very much so. But it was rare for a close D to be less that 6' and 180, under 10% in my recollection. The 5' 10" 175 close D were usually found in D3.

Cheers to you and #44.
Just to be clear...I wasn't saying the guys in previous eras were not great athletes....they certainly were...I was just agreeing that the sizes were much different....

Cheers...have a great holiday weekend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT