ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball No Gavitt Games in 24-25, doubtful for future

If the B1G goes to 22 league games and maybe 24 or more down the road, it doesn't make sense to commit to playing BE teams.

Unpopular opinion with those who reminisce about the BE glory days, but the BE could get squeezed out of games against what we now call P5 opponents a few years down the road.
True, I mean we should always play hall. Guess I wouldn't mind a home and home with Cuse, I never got to go to the dome as a kid

Reactions: malaka27
I'll miss it...

not GIF

Reactions: Rutgers56
This is a good thing. We usually get stuck playing a ho hum team which doesn't help our tournament resume. Now, we can pick and choose our matchup. It's good to have the autonomy.
Pike - "I've been dying to schedule North South Connecticutt Stage university of plumbing. This is my big chance!"

Forget the Big East local teams or otherwise. We've moved on beyond that. B12/SEC/few select Acc. Schedule cupcakes locally, like Princeton and Monmouth. We already have Seton Hall on the schedule which is enough.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The Gavitt Games doesn't make sense logistically or schedule wise equally for either conference next year and beyond, 18 vs 11. Big East will still be a top 5 conference in basketball but will have to find #6-#10 conference that has around 10-12 teams for it to work.

Most likely, B12 vs B1G and SEC vs ACC going forward. Power 5 become Mega 4 18 team conferences sooner rather than later. TV contracts, ACC/SEC Networks under the ESPN umbrella & B1G/Pac12 probable rebranding to Big12 Networks under Fox umbrella, makes it much easier for it to work with side contracts to CBS / Paramount+ and NBC / Peacock.

If the B1G goes to 22 league games and maybe 24 or more down the road, it doesn't make sense to commit to playing BE teams.

Unpopular opinion with those who reminisce about the BE glory days, but the BE could get squeezed out of games against what we now call P5 opponents a few years down the road.
agree, this isn't about reliving the glory years it's about putting team on correct path to compete and win. TheBIG schedule is hard enough

don't get me wrong, I too miss those BE tourney days in the garden but it's over, that ship sailed, sunk, and is a forgotten in Davie Jones Locker

The same people who will miss playing Minnesota. Didn't you lose to DePaul couple years ago ?
Rutgers sadly in the past had far too many bad losses against mediocre out of conference competition.With the expansion of the B1G Ten there will be less out of conference games which will improve the strength of schedule ranking.

I'm not sure what else RU needs to do. We are generating revenue for the 1st time and whatever the B1G wants, is fine with me. We don't need to keep elevating Big East teams in our market with TV exposure and media hype, by playing them. It's already bad enough that we still have some RU fans, in love with the Big East. They have enough other options to schedule in the Big East, besides the B1G.

Pike has already said many times that irs hard for Rutgers to get good teams to come play at the RAC. They are scared. That's only going to get worse with the uptick in recruiting

We might see a high profile game or two a year at Prudential/MSG or some other neutral court

Pike has already said many times that it's hard for Rutgers to get good teams to come play at the RAC. They are scared. That's only going to get worse with the uptick in recruiting.

We might see a high-profile game or two a year at Prudential/MSG or some other neutral court.
As long as the return (if there is one) is not at their own place, fine.

Pike has already said many times that irs hard for Rutgers to get good teams to come play at the RAC. They are scared. That's only going to get worse with the uptick in recruiting

We might see a high profile game or two a year at Prudential/MSG or some other neutral court
Yeah, Seton Hall, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and Hofstra were all downright terrified of the RAC last season.

Reactions: PJVegas
This is a good thing. We usually get stuck playing a ho hum team which doesn't help our tournament resume. Now, we can pick and choose our matchup. It's good to have the autonomy.
So, Central Connecticut State or Marist on the schedule next season?

Reactions: PJVegas
Now RU can add another team like Bryant or Stonehill to the schedule to build that tournament resume. 😵‍💫

Eh ….I’ll not going to miss it
Yeah I’m sure it’s different for an RU fan on the East Coast and all … but as an Illini fan, the Gavitt Games always felt kind of forced and unnatural.

Why on Earth haven’t we set something up with the Big XII yet? They’re another conference for which FOX has TV rights. It would work a lot cleaner than their current deal with the (ESPN-backed) SEC.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
He doesn't flat-out lie but he does embellish at times. Cliff's height, Ogbole's height, every game already sold out. Harmless ultimately but he plays it a bit loose with facts sometimes
It’s called “coach speak”. Coaches sometimes say things to support their position which might not be popular with the fans. Stretching the truth.

That would not be a bad thing.

Schedule it during the NJ Teachers Convention week and you'll see a bump in Orlando.
There is a convention almost every week in Orlando Jan - April because of the mild weather.

The PGA Show is my favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT