ADVERTISEMENT

Not a "bad" 66-60 loss, IMO

Bullshit! I played the game at a high level. Did you? He had three days between games. Stop making excuses for him. I love the guy, but he just had a horrendous game. PERIOD.

this is high level basketball..you are right. These guys cannot fall back on tired excuse..everyone is tired. Trace played 39 minutes vs Purdue and 39 tonight, Paul was bad because his decision making was bad and also didnt deliver the ball to the right people

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I am criticisl of officiating …but officiating had nothing to do with tonight’s result …Either way

We lost this game because we fell behind (mostly due to toughness issues early ), and just crested too big of a hole to climb
Back

We got our ten minutes stratch where we Iocke them down and just don’t play good enough offensive basketball to finish it off

Kinda of a blown opportunity ….

Awful start. Maybe Garden wasn’t such a good idea. Energy expended. Break up routine. Hours on both ends. Travel. Three games away from home. Pike, “It’s tough to win away from the RAC” Food for thought!!!
Please, please, please just stop with your stupid rants about MSG. You look smaller and smaller with each futile attempt to denigrate one of the 2 or 3 biggest wins of our season, which has gotten us more positive press than anything other than the Purdue win. Winning nationally televised games at the World's Most Famous Arena really means something (read @RU72's thread on that).

And this attempt is your worst, to date. Energy expended? Hours on both ends? Travel? Seriously? Does it take more energy to play a game in NYC vs. NJ? That's just tinfoil hat stuff. And MSG is an hour away, so maybe the team lost 2 whole hours "traveling" - and yeah, celebrating in NYC is so hard on players. Move on.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Ohhh......So you have traveled from arena to arena and lived in hotels.

We all played HS ball and it does not compare.
Paul hardly shot at all. Caleb shot way too much. Hard to say Pauls legs were too tired when he never shot. And Caleb is just not a good shooter. He should never shoot ahead of passing to a teammate.

A few bad minutes there for refs in 2nd half but overall had no impact. We got a LOT of calls our way too.

Reasons we lost were many - bad shooting by our leaders, many missed opportunities in second half, etc etc. refs waaaaaay down reason for loss
Awful start. Maybe Garden wasn’t such a good idea. Energy expended. Break up routine. Hours on both ends. Travel. Three games away from home. Pike, “It’s tough to win away from the RAC” Food for thought!!!
It has almost nothing to do with it. Our bench guys Hyatt and Oscar hit 5 threes in the first half and Cam got his touch back and hit 1 in the first half and 1 right out of the gate to tie the game in the second half. We got it to 38-35 at the half with the bench doing the heavy lifting. We held them without a field goal for almost 9 minutes in second half and got a few foul calls against us to get them to the line to early and too often. But despite all that , our 2 seniors played lousy offensive games , Caleb was great defensively and on the boards and took Hood Schfino out of the game in the second half. Paul was terrible defensively and left Kopp open for 3 of his 4 three pointers and somehow he scored 18 points and a lot of it against Paul or on Paul’s side of the court. Being on the road had almost nothing to do with the loss just some really bad offensive performances.

Oskar passed the test...please get real

blame on 3 seniors..mainly 2
He is unplayable on the defensive end. Winning games 81-75 hoping Hyatt and Oskar shoot 50% from 3 is what 3-17 B1G teams do.

3rd straight game Hyatt can’t stay on the court because of defense.

18 points on 7/11 and 4/8 might be the best bench game we see the rest of the season
What was their impact on the defensive end? Why did Pike not play them in the 2nd half? Is the game won if our captains played average offensively in the last 10 minutes?

He is unplayable on the defensive end. Winning games 81-75 hoping Hyatt and Oskar shoot 50% from 3 is what 3-17 B1G teams do.

3rd straight game Hyatt can’t stay on the court because of defense.
Stop being dramatic. We need bench scoring. Where do you think it comes from?

Stop being dramatic. We need bench scoring. Where do you think it comes from?
Not being dramatic. What is it not night and day the defense with starters plus Simpson vs any other lineup?

2 for 2 in non Mag games it is the 4 plus Simpson with the game on the line.

It’s simple. Beat Illinois and then I have no problem with this well contested loss at IU.

Not being dramatic. What is it not night and day the defense with starters plus Simpson vs any other lineup?

how great were the starters giving up 15 in the first 4 minutes, how about 30 by 7:30 minutes...how good was Paul leaving Kopp opening shot after shot...how about Cliff being abused on the boards by the guy from Friends...only 1 board in the first half

who gave RU all the momentum heading into halftime where the starters f'd it up again in the 2nd half with their woeful offensive performance

Reactions: Scangg

I dont expect Oskar to be playing in the last 5 minutes..why would he

there will be games where Hyatt will be playing in the last 5 minutes, I guarantee you that

Exactly. This game was on the verge of getting into blowout territory

FIG is lost on this one. How was the defense with the starters in the first half?
Oskar enters game at 12:49 and we are losing 11-13

Oskar leaves the game with 2:34 left and we are losing 26-36.

23 points scored in 10 minutes with RU playing a lot of zone

That was the starters! The starters gave up a huge lead. The bench closed that lead.

Do you honestly think Oskar was a net negative tonight??
My starters didn’t play at all in the 1st half. They closed the game out for the 2nd straight game. Galloway and Drew-Schifino were quiet (except Galloway OREB against Simpson) and the IU offense was completely different with those 5 together in the game.

Paul dominated the entire second half of MSU. He did not shoot because he had no legs.

Poor Shooting = Tired Legs
Tired legs? He told someone that? Then something is wrong with his S&C routine. He looks to be in great shape, and is no baby anymore. He just looked very "lost."

Reactions: bac2therac
We lost....Get over it. Moving on to the next game.

Should we sit Caleb and Paul? They struggled in a game...why do we need to annihilate them.

Good to know that bench played better.

Most on here discussed 2-3 would ve great after this 5-game gauntlet and now you all whine. Still have a chance to go 3-2.

GO RU!!

Last edited:
I can't believe there is so much drama after a close loss on the road against a very good team.

This team is going to need time to figure out how to compensate for the loss of Mag on both ends of the court. It doesn't happen overnight. During this time, the seniors needs to step up and lead by example. They were sloppy with the ball and were lucky there weren't even more turnovers than there were. We are sorely lacking a. player who can penetrate and break down a defense while driving. The seniors on this team that try look like bulls in a china shop at times. (I'm looking at your Caleb and Paul).

We have our strengths and limitations on this team. We're going to have to grind out more games and throw people into the fire to get them game experience. Reiber needs to play more than Wolf. He has more experience and is a better all around shooter. The defense will be what it is.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good game and wasn't shocked by the outcome at all. Yeah it's a missed opportunity but I think once we get past the Illinois game, the pressure lets up a bit and we can see what our new normal will be.

Reactions: rufeelinit
Paul hardly shot at all. Caleb shot way too much. Hard to say Pauls legs were too tired when he never shot. And Caleb is just not a good shooter. He should never shoot ahead of passing to a teammate.
Not shooting to me means he did not feel comfortable. Not sure why...maybe sick.

Killing Paul is not going to help.

Last edited:
Winning nationally televised games at the World's Most Famous Arena really means something (read @RU72's thread on that).
Wait. Are you saying my bed isn’t the world’s most famous arena? The hookers have been lying to me? 😮

its not a bad loss BUT its disappointing to see your seniors leaders all come empty and not just a little bit...really bad in the least 3 minutes. Defense continues to be great and lot of positives from bench.

Still we are competing for a bye and a high seed, it was a winnable game so I do not take any moral victory.

The defense had a truly atrocious 5 minute stretch while we tried out a few deep bench line ups. This will hopefully be scrutinized in tape review. First half from the 12:49 mark to 7:54 mark - we gave up 17 points. Over the course of a 40 minute game that rate of scoring translates to an astounding 136 points of offense for Indiana.

In the other 35 minutes we gave up only 49 total points (including 3 points from intentional fouls). I’m not saying this excuses Paul and Caleb’s poor performance in the last 3 minutes but if the sub defense could just be bad and not terrible we’d be able to overcome bad offensive spells from our veterans. We’re a defense first team so Pike needs to figure this out.

Loss is a loss.

We need to be get over that hump to be a consistent winner and not accept losses because we played well despite all these reasons.

True winning program, does not accept losses in any share of form. We figure all the wrong doings in details and move forward so we dont make the same mistake again.

there is no, I tried hard. it's about results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT