ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason - Free Agency thread

Clark played 34.5mpg last year?
Is he willing to come off the bench or is he replacing JWill as a starter?

Forget Simpson/Davis.
Any guard transfer likely impacts JWill moreso and his return.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

Forget Simpson/Davis.
There are probably 100 minutes available for guards. Probably 58 combined for Dylan and JWill, leaving 42 for the other guards (JMike, Simpson if he stays, and a portal guard).

Ritchie mentioned in his podcast that Rutgers reached out to this guy. Michael Porter's brother. Would be a great Mag replacement. But he'll probably be to expensive

• Love
Reactions: runrutgersrun

Forget Simpson/Davis.
That's an issue we likely face. Why would a guard that's worthwhile - want to transfer for a role off the bench. Dream schools and Blue Bloods can pull this off. But probably not us

It should be more likely to get a strong G here where the starters won't play 35 minutes a night than at schools that typically do that, like Northwestern.

Rutgers doesn't need another small guard.It needs a power forward that can score along with a center to share time with Somerville .Above all else it needs 3 point shooters to complement scoring from Bailey and Harper.
Center and Power forward should be top priorities. But Rutgers reaching out to guards, who can shoot - shows that Pike understands, changes are needed

Why couldn't he start at the 4 - with Mag gone?

I agree. To me you roll with a guy like this at the 4 and you put Ace on the wing. Would be deadly lineup with Dylan & JWill and Cliff also (or a portal replacement like Cliff). You would have 4 guys who can score on the floor and would pretty much only need a Center who rim runs and protects.

Gavin (with more bulk) can be first off the bench at either 3 or 4.

Why couldn't he start at the 4?
I mean I guess we could go really big with Ace at the three, but that’s not a lot of ball handlers on the floor. Plus, unless KAT transfers in at the 5, I worry about the perimeter shooting on the floor

Reactions: NickRU714
Why couldn't he start at the 4 - with Mag gone?

Looks like Porter shot worse than Hyatt from 3 and was about the same as Simpson this past year.

Doesn't appear to be much of a shooting upgrade which is supposed to be a priority.

I mean I guess we could go really big with Ace at the three, but that’s not a lot of ball handlers on the floor. Plus, unless KAT transfers in at the 5, I worry about the perimeter shooting on the floor
JWill and Dylan should be enough ball handling. This lineup would bully teams -- attacking the rim, and second chance opportunities. I'll take my chances with the shooting

Reactions: Scangg
Looks like Porter shot worse than Hyatt from 3 and was about the same as Simpson this past year.

Doesn't appear to be much of a shooting upgrade which is supposed to be a priority.
Rebounding is a priority also. Without Cliff, adding a 4 who can scrap on the boards, is a need too. Shooting can be added at the guard position still

Reactions: Kbee3 and NickRU714

Forget Simpson/Davis.
You can find guys. Justin Harmon went from 29 minutes a night at Utah Valley to 20 at Illinois.

Notice his passing. In four years has Cliff ever once passed to an open perimeter shooter ? Not exaggerating. Ever ? Almost certainly not even once. Cliff offers nearly nothing on O save for an alley-oops and a few foul shots each game.

With putrid offense, defense doesn't win.

Reactions: RAC93 and socaldave
Rutgers showing interest in guards already. Love it

Kid is a baller, comes from a Bball family, Dad played Ivy League ball both older brothers played college,
My son played HS ball with Wes his middle brother. At OP, and AAU
He played in my son’s AAU program, he always played up. Having older brothers he was fearless.
Can drain it, is a team player knows how to pick his spots. Very well connected basketball family. He would be a great add.
I doubt he ends up at Rutgers.
High IQ, pure scorer!
The Vegas thing could be attractive. Spent many tournaments in Vegas with the family including a Big Foot Championship, with Wes.
Lastly when Clark dripples he looks like the NBA logo, which is Jerry West.

Last edited:
Notice his passing. In four years has Cliff ever once passed to an open perimeter shooter ? Not exaggerating. Ever ? Almost certainly not even once. Cliff offers nearly nothing on O save for an alley-oops and a few foul shots each game.

With putrid offense, defense doesn't win.
He would be the best passer on this team. Our current guys only pass, as a last resort

Kid is a baller, comes from a Bball family, Dad played Ivy League ball both older brothers played college,
My son played HS ball with Wes his middle brother. At OP,
He played in my son’s AAU program, he always played up. Having older brothers he was fearless.
Can drain it, is a team player knows how to pick his spots. Very well connected basketball family. He would be a great add.
I doubt he ends up at Rutgers.
High IQ, pure scorer!
The Vegas thing could be attractive. Spent many tournaments in Vegas with the family including a Big Foot Championship, with Wes.
Lastly when Clark dripples he looks like the NBA logo, which is Jerry West.
The more I think about Clark in our lineup with the frosh, 3 guards Him, Harper, and JWill
Ace and a big man we would score, run the floor big time with this lineup.
Clark could run the offense on the floor.
With that lineup In the half court you would see more spacing, ball movement and scoring then ever at Rutgers.
Clark is fundamentally excellent. He is excellent at spacing and D has great vision, quick.
Just need a big man to rebound run the floor and play fundamental D.
It would be beautiful Bball to watch.
I have been watching this kid since he was in 4th grade. He has been coached his entire life to do exactly what Rutgers has been lacking over the last few seasons.
My son, who is a very good handicapper, and obviously knows the Kid, and I had this discussion last night. He is very optimistic that this kid could be exactly what Rutgers needs to help make a Run next season.
Rutgers Fans would not be disappointed!

Last edited:
He would be the best passer on this team. Our current guys only pass, as a last resort
Interestingly, the two teams before this were actually Pike’s best passing teams, each top 25 in assist/made field goal ratio

Another point to the notable lack of talent, although the 19-20 team weren’t great passers either.

Just subscribed to this youtube page. Shows highlights and stats from a bunch of guys entering the portal. Their updating it constantly too

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyC80
So since this whole portal thing is still relatively new and to me it seems to be this magic place that players enter and are spit out into another team of their choice, I’m going to ask a basic question. What’s to stop a player from committing to us next week and then bolting for more cash at an another program in a month or so? Is there something like an LOI that’s binding for at least a while?

No offense but this thread is the last straw for me. I’m out for a few months. I need a break. You die hards, enjoy the offseason. I mean that sincerely. You are devoted fans

Call me when the team is constructed and the new season is ready to go. I don’t have the patience to deal with 19-year old free agents.

I can’t watch the preseason practice videos either. They are misleading as hell.

See you in the fall. Very excited for next season. I’m sure pike will have a better team built than this past year

Cliff, JWill, Gavin, Mag, Simpson, Ogbole - have all removed the @Rutgersbball from their instagram accounts. At the least their all testing their free agency market

Cliff, JWill, Gavin, Mag, Simpson, Ogbole - have all removed the @Rutgersbball from their instagram accounts. At the least their all testing their free agency market
Rutgersbball is a page with zero posts. Who cares. I only looked at Cliff and Gavin they both follow the official Rutgers ig page.

Rutgersbball is a page with zero posts. Who cares. I only looked at Cliff and Gavin they both follow the official Rutgers ig page.
They removed @rutgersmbb -- The official page. Players carry it on their page, as representation. JMike and all of the 2024 players coming in carry it.

Basically they removed it, to state, they are free agents. But doesn't mean they won't return

What happened to this guy? He was highly ranked out of HS. If we don't keep Ogbole. I wouldn't mind bringing Favour Aire in as development backup

Bama multitasking. Getting commits, and getting ready for this weekend

Going by Twitter -- not hearing much of Rutgers reaching out to many guys, smh

We’re probably tapped out of NIL funds, and certainly low on available shots per game so I’m not holding my breath for an in-demand player.

Rutgers doesn't need another small guard.It needs a power forward that can score along with a center to share time with Somerville .Above all else it needs 3 point shooters to complement scoring from Bailey and Harper.
Agreed. We need defensive length on the perimeter like we had with Geo and Caleb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT