ADVERTISEMENT

Old timers: who remembers bowl games on the Mizlou Network?

And who were the Mizlou announcers at the first Garden State Bowl in 1978?

was Al DeRogatis one of them? And maybe our old buddy Dick Landis doing the sideline reporting
DeRogatis makes two! One more. Here's a clue:

"On July 1, 1987, at 3:00pm EDT. ?????? was the first voice heard on WFAN Sports Radio 1050 in New York. His recorded call of the New York Jets winning Super Bowl III was played prior to Suzyn Waldman’s first live update."

Wasn’t The Independence Bowl on that one as well?

Was always like the first bowl and tge lowest on the totem pole...RU would appear occasionally as a potential participant

Was the year we were 7-4 after losing to Cincy we got passed up by 6-5 Oregon vs 7-4 Wake Forest

Was always like the first bowl and tge lowest on the totem pole...RU would appear occasionally as a potential participant

Was the year we were 7-4 after losing to Cincy we got passed up by 6-5 Oregon vs 7-4 Wake Forest
The cincy loss was a killer. We also had a putrid offensive performance in a win against West Virginia that hurt. .

Remember when all the minor bowls were on something called the Mizlou Network? Channel 11 in New York picked up the games. The Garden State Bowl was on tape delay because they wanted to sell tickets. Then ESPN took over the bowls
Before Mizzlou was the real pioneer, CD Chesley, with the ACC and NCAA Basketball Tourneys. It was replaced by Raycom. There was another network that did SEC Saturday Night football around the time but don't remember the name.

A win is a win..that win over wvu was huge

We laid an egg against a shitty Cincy team at night on a rainy night
Bowl reps were there and saw that offensive performance right after the cincy loss.
From what I heard, they weren’t impressed with the wvu win.

A win is a win..that win over wvu was huge

We laid an egg against a shitty Cincy team at night on a rainy night
Yup. We were listening on the radio in our apartment on Condict St (now a high-rise) and I put my fist through a wall sometime in the 4th quarter. Cinci has been the biggest "thorn" in "our side" for 3-decades now!

Before Mizzlou was the real pioneer, CD Chesley, with the ACC and NCAA Basketball Tourneys. It was replaced by Raycom. There was another network that did SEC Saturday Night football around the time but don't remember the name.
I do remember Raycom
The Independence Bowl was in Mississippi or Louisiana as I recall.

or Hughes Television Network (HTN) although I think they did basketball games in the Big Ten and ACC.
My memory is getting a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall prior to MSG being a channel, I believe the Knicks and Rangers were on HTN. Then HTN either became MSG or was born from it. We had cable TV growing up in the early 70's and I always recalled the HTN banner.

Merle Harmon
Very good.

Garden State Bowl at Giants Stadium, December 16, 1978
Rutgers vs. Arizona State

Mizlou Television Sports Broadcasters:
Merle Harmon (play-by-play),
Howard David (color and host),
Al DeRogatis (color and replay analysis)

The Garden State Bowl was syndicated to 105 stations nationwide (including WPIX-TV New York, Channel 11 on one hour tape delay and WPVI-TV Philadelphia, Channel 6).

Question: Is this the first nationally telecast Rutgers football game in history? The 1969 Centennial Game with Princeton was an ABC regional, not national, telecast. No Rutgers game up until this time was ever nationally televised. What say ye, Board members?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT