ADVERTISEMENT

OSU/RU Lax

njdirt

All Conference
Dec 10, 2005
Unfortunately cant make it as have to coach kids game at 2 but will be able to see at least the 1st half on ESPNU. Hope they can play as well as the past few games & maybe finally pull one out.

I am definitely not a lax guy...so take this FWIW...i have watched about 6 games this year and it just seems our goal keeping is bad.

I don't know enough about the game to know if it is poor overall defending...or poor individual skills of our keepers...but it just seems that our opponents don't have to work too hard to score on us

Welcome any of the resident experts' thoughts on this

TIA

Reactions: scarletcrew
Sir I think it is more poor defending leaving people free with open shots in scoring range, players not sliding quick enough to get to that open man to disrupt or stop his shot. I don't think any goalie at this level can stop a point blank shot which has happened often. The last few games this has improved. The goalie play has been suspect all year as from the games and also has improved.
Leaving now for the kids game but RU winning 8-4 with 4 min to play in the 1st half. They are playing very well today so far.

Thank you dirt...i assumed it was likely more tied to overall D but wasn't sure.

Good luck in your game

Hope we hold them off in the 2nd half...we need to keep attacking!!

I watched most of the second half and was very impressed with our team and this great win. Can someone tell me, who follows our program closely, how young is the team? The commentators kept saying "Rutgers is a very young team." If so, how young? And does this bode well for our future in the B1G and how do you like our coach? Thanks.

I watched most of the second half and was very impressed with our team and this great win. Can someone tell me, who follows our program closely, how young is the team? The commentators kept saying "Rutgers is a very young team." If so, how young? And does this bode well for our future in the B1G and how do you like our coach? Thanks.

There are only 9 seniors on this years roster, from what I have seen only 3 of them are starters Gross & Nardella on Midfield and Caperella on D. There are 12 Juniors, 11 Sophs and 13 freshman on this years roster. So think it bodes well for the future, just need to keep recruiting the best players they can for their needs.Also like football and all other sports have to try to keep the states best players to come which being in the BIG will help hopefully.

Thank you dirt...i assumed it was likely more tied to overall D but wasn't sure.

Good luck in your game

Hope we hold them off in the 2nd half...we need to keep attacking!!

Sir thanks for the good luck. The 5th grade team I coach that one of my grandsons play on won 7-4 and the older grandson on the 7th grade team won 5-0 against Robbinsville. Enjoy teaching the boys the skills of the game as played at Loyola Md along with BBall.

Glad I saw that RU finally put a complete game together to win against a ranked BIG team. It was about time as should have won the only game I was able to get to against Maryland and other games towards the end of the season.

Two quick things...been watching this team all year. Yes very young and bodes well but replacing Nardella is like replacing 5 players. he is UNREAL good on faceoffs...as bad as we have been at times, he gets us possession after possession he was 21 of 30 yesterday which is just sick and that;s against a top 10 team and hes done it all year.

on the goaltending, yes, the overall d has been poor but a lot of it is on the goalies. long shots thathave no business going in have gone in all year and we have started 3 different keepers which is all you need to know abt the goalie situation

The problem that we have is that our replacement for Nards just decide to switch schools and is now going to Cornell. This loss hurts a lot as there is no one on the current team that can replace Nards and the kid that was supposed to is now not coming. Yes, he is the real deal I have seen him up close and he is a lot like Nards in the fact that he can win the face-off and then generate offense.

Great day yesterday. Two things needed for 2016 -- (1) warm and dry for all home games and (2) a winning record with at least 2 B1G wins. Very happy for the kids that they go into the off-season with a win and their first B1G win.

Sorry to hear that Rutgers was apparently a safety school for the next FO kid. Maybe the football walk-on from Phillips Andover can help.

There are only 9 seniors on this years roster, from what I have seen only 3 of them are starters Gross & Nardella on Midfield and Caperella on D. There are 12 Juniors, 11 Sophs and 13 freshman on this years roster. So think it bodes well for the future, just need to keep recruiting the best players they can for their needs.Also like football and all other sports have to try to keep the states best players to come which being in the BIG will help hopefully.

Thanks NJdirt.

A couple of things. The goaltending this year hasn't been up to snuff, but the D hasn't helped. They gave up way to many easy looks and hands free shots. Kids are just so good now. Every guy on the field is going to bury shots if you leave them 12 yards out with no one in their gloves.

That said, the OSU game was awesome. They played passionate, inspired d, the goalie was making saves, and we were aggressive on O and were making our shots. It was an absolute beat down of a top team.

Hopefully, the guys can take this into the offseason. It is a blueprint for the effort and IQ it takes to win at this level. Was really good to see the kids not only play hard, but play smart, show clock awareness and situational understanding, and most importantly, make plays.

I always looked at next season as the one to keep an eye on moving forward. Lots of kids who were making big time plays on Sat. will be back next year. Hopefully some of the kids who were injured are able to come back full strength, and they continue to develop collectively.

Heard some good things as it relates to the team potentially having a full compliment of scholarships, among other things. Let's hope that comes to fruition. Lacrosse is a sport at Rutgers where near immediate success can be had, with the right support.

Reactions: RUMountie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT