ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lefreniere has no jump or second gear and you can’t teach it.
Insider info….his teammates were shocked at his lack of speed.
Shocked I tell you.
When is the last time the #1 pick in the draft said he needs to work on his skating in the off season.
He’s the anti-Barzal.
You aren’t nuts, you just made a faulty initial judgement on Lafreniere and refuse to let go of it.

The trajectory of Lafreniere’s first year completely fits having his last amateur season end early, playing no hockey for nine months instead of the summer of preparation draftees usually get, then being thrown into live NHL games with no training camp beforehand.

Teams would be incredibly foolish to make snap judgements on any young players with the disarray Covid threw into the developmental system. Hell, some OHL players will have gone almost 18 months between games.

Only reason why this was allowed was because Tampa Bay is one of Bettman’s Southern Babies. Don’t he usually changes rules during the middle of the season like Manfred has already done on multiple occasions? No way he would’ve allowed the Islanders to get away with this.

As much as I hate Montreal, I feel sorry for them. They’re going to get royally screwed by the league: Tampa in 5.
I may have missed it but wasn't this technically allowed under the CBA? What did they change mid-season? I know you used to have to play a game in the regular season to be eligible for the playoffs because the Devils one year had Matvichuk out all year so they'd fit under the cap but then played him the last game so he could play in the playoffs.
I think the best example of the NHL thinking differently based on the team involved is the draft lottery. EDM wins it something like 4 times in 7 years, the Devils win it multiple times, no big deal. The Rangers get 2 and 1 in consecutive years and the rules get changed.
They have changed the draft lottery a few times recently though.

Picked the best young prospect since Crosby. Stop the hate just because Hughes blew for a second season.
You've repeatedly stated this as if Connor McDavid doesn't exist.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I may have missed it but wasn't this technically allowed under the CBA? What did they change mid-season? I know you used to have to play a game in the regular season to be eligible for the playoffs because the Devils one year had Matvichuk out all year so they'd fit under the cap but then played him the last game so he could play in the playoffs.

They have changed the draft lottery a few times recently though.

You've repeatedly stated this as if Connor McDavid doesn't exist.
Okay, fair point on McDavid.

Montreal knows they are outclassed. They are playing chippy, which could make this quick final somewhat more interesting. Hey BG, bleed all over them, and let them know you are there, Brendan

MTL would not have make the playoffs in a normal year. NYR had more points.
The schedule would have been much different in a normal year. In a normal year, Buffalo--the worst team in the league this year--would have been in Montreal's division instead of the Rangers' division. The Rangers also got to play more games than usual against the Devils, this seasons's 3rd worst team. Over a third of the Rangers' points came from games against the Devils and Sabres while the Canadiens didn't get to play either of those teams at all. Surely that more than makes up for the one-point difference between the Canadiens and Rangers in the league standings.

Reactions: TM94goRU
The schedule would have been much different in a normal year. In a normal year, Buffalo--the worst team in the league this year--would have been in Montreal's division instead of the Rangers' division. The Rangers also got to play more games than usual against the Devils, this seasons's 3rd worst team. Over a third of the Rangers' points came from games against the Devils and Sabres while the Canadiens didn't get to play either of those teams at all. Surely that more than makes up for the one-point difference between the Canadiens and Rangers in the league standings.
Maybe. Too many variables. You can also say that maybe the entire North was kinda weak. Hard to tell because of the format, which I kinda liked. But with basically 4 bubbles, hard to tell the relative strengths of each division. Playoffs aren‘t always the be all, end all on this, but we’ll see how rest of the Finals shakes out. So far, yeesh.

My guess, in a normal year, PHI doesn’t tank and finishes higher than both NYR and MTL.

Maybe. Too many variables. You can also say that maybe the entire North was kinda weak. Hard to tell because of the format, which I kinda liked. But with basically 4 bubbles, hard to tell the relative strengths of each division. Playoffs aren‘t always the be all, end all on this, but we’ll see how rest of the Finals shakes out. So far, yeesh.
My guess, in a normal year, PHI doesn’t tank and finishes higher than both NYR and MTL.
The last part is where you are wrong. Betting on an Alain Vigneault coached team to underperform after his first year was probably the easiest money I have made since they legalized sports gambling.

Reactions: mdh2003
The last part is where you are wrong. Betting on an Alain Vigneault coached team to underperform after his first year was probably the easiest money I have made since they legalized sports gambling.
Ha! Yeah, come to think of it, I’d bet a 66.67% chance to win as well (up to 75% with the PHI crash and burn). Oddly enough, if you bet against NYR’s second AV year you would have lost. I am guessing you would have been happy to lose that money. If not for the NYR offense crapping the bed at home B2B, would have been B2B SCF.

Hmmm - just noticed some real interesting similarities between those NYR teams and the current NYI ones...

Ha! Yeah, come to think of it, I’d bet a 66.67% chance to win as well (up to 75% with the PHI crash and burn). Oddly enough, if you bet against NYR’s second AV year you would have lost. I am guessing you would have been happy to lose that money. If not for the NYR offense crapping the bed at home B2B, would have been B2B SCF.

Hmmm - just noticed some real interesting similarities between those NYR teams and the current NYI ones...
The AV timeline seems to be accelerated somewhat in Philly. I think it took longer than his second year in VAN and NY before he started blaming his goaltending for all of his team’s defensive failures.

And we must all thank the Rangers for sending all that talent to Tampa Bay year after year. Do the Bolts get a vote for who the captain is?

Reactions: mdh2003
And we must all thank the Rangers for sending all that talent to Tampa Bay year after year. Do the Bolts get a vote for who the captain is?
Ha! Well NYR can’t even pick their own captain, so not sure I’d let them do it.

Plus, looks like TB has LL on a cap circumvention retainer. Guess the entire tri-state is to blame...

Reactions: rurichdog
In his 31 thoughts segment Elliotte Friedman wrote that the NJD were considering trading the 4th overall pick for an established defenseman. Now, I'm torn about this, but maybe it is for Quinn. Just something to watch, in this interesting off-season.

Fleury winning the Vezina is like somebody getting a lifetime achievement award. I always thought of him as a maybe slightly better than average goalie on some pretty decent teams.

If my Devils do this, it better be for Rasmus Dahlin, Werenski, or Quinn Hughes, I'm thinking.

Don't think you want Dahlin. Great player, but Buffalo is greatly exaggerating what their return on ANY trade should be. IMO.
I was just trying to think of young defensemen that if the Devils did this, it would not make me ill, 😆. I was surprised by the report. My mind is to go draft a stud. You are correct about Buffalo inflating values for players.

The switch over to ESPN is starting early. The Kracken expansion draft and the first round of the NHL Draft will be on ESPN.

Rangers will trade either Kratsov or Kappo , a draft pick and a prospect for Jack Eickel

You may be right, but I wouldn't do that deal.
I would rather go with guys there and try for a guy like Trochek. They need grit, and that is (in my opinion) better served with bottom 6 pursuits as opposed to Eichel. And, frankly, his injury greatly reduces his value because there is a reaL risk regarding his longevity.

Montreal playing about as well as they could hope for and still losing 2-1 as the 3rd period begins.

Great goal by Mr. Pickle Juice Blake Coleman. Montreal I think knows they are done, if you can't beat them, try to beat them up as the game ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT