ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Giants Off Season Thread

With Jones I get injury concerns.
Running QBs always get injured more, and a 6' 5" running QB is a huge target who will always get hit in the knees
But the knee was non contact, and just about every QB these days is a running QB to some extent.

Jones's problem is he tries to run like a TE and takes those hits up top. Thus the neck, and some other plays where you wonder about concussions or just overall upper body abuse.

Reactions: tico brown
Too far out to even think about.

I'm still in the camp of hoping Jones can find his game, but if he doesn't I hope the season falls apart completely.

A mediocre Jones(or Locke, which is now rumored to be on the table) or a Jones that plays well for 10 games and then misses 7 and we finish out of the top 10 is not where we want to be.
Only two out of 5 seasons with 14 or more games played.

Multiple season ending injuries.

Only great season was his contract year and with an elite RB in the backfield with him.

Yeah, I think it’s past time for a new QB.

But the knee was non contact, and just about every QB these days is a running QB to some extent.

Jones's problem is he tries to run like a TE and takes those hits up top. Thus the neck, and some other plays where you wonder about concussions or just overall upper body abuse.

This is everything I've heard about Jayden Daniel's as well. Runs looking for contact.

Except at least Jones is big.

Only two out of 5 seasons with 14 or more games played.

Multiple season ending injuries.

Only great season was his contract year and with an elite RB in the backfield with him.

Yeah, I think it’s past time for a new QB.

Rumors are out there that Locke will get a chance at the starting job, which is fine. But one of them is getting the job, and I'll hope that the OL comes together and the WR options will prove to be high end, and whoever gets the QB job will flourish.

Unless we think Locke is the "new QB", which I don't, it's really not the time for a new QB.

Too far out to even think about.

I'm still in the camp of hoping Jones can find his game, but if he doesn't I hope the season falls apart completely.

A mediocre Jones(or Locke, which is now rumored to be on the table) or a Jones that plays well for 10 games and then misses 7 and we finish out of the top 10 is not where we want to be.

I think too much stock is put into getting to draft the first QB or highest rated college QB. If you look at more recent QB draft history, it doesn't generally work out as planned.

• 2013 Young (1) was drafted ahead of Stroud (2). Richardson (4) is a TBD due to injury. Levis at 33 it slated to be a starter.
  • 2022 Draft - Brock Purdy in the 7th round seems to be the only good starter
  • 2021 Draft - Lawrence (1) is the best of the bunch but still has not led his team to anything significant yet. Wilson (2), Lance (3) were awful, Fields (11) and Mac Jones(15) - mediocre at best.
  • 2020 Draft - Burrow has been very good and worth the #1 Overall IMO, Tags and Herbert at 5 & 6 have been very good - but has not manifested in significant team results yet, Love (26) and Hurts (53) as later picks have been on par with the others and have made some noise in the playoffs
  • 2019 - Murray (1) and Jones (6) have not done anything significant beyond single playoff appearances
  • 2018 - Mayfield (1) has been OK at best, Darnold (3) backup level, Rosen(10) out of the league. Best have been Allen (7) and Jackson (32)
  • 2017 - Mitch Trubisky was selected #2 in the same draft at Mahomes at #10. Watson at 12 was good before his personal issues and injuries.

I think too much stock is put into getting to draft the first QB or highest rated college QB. If you look at more recent QB draft history, it doesn't generally work out as planned.

• 2013 Young (1) was drafted ahead of Stroud (2). Richardson (4) is a TBD due to injury. Levis at 33 it slated to be a starter.
  • 2022 Draft - Brock Purdy in the 7th round seems to be the only good starter
  • 2021 Draft - Lawrence (1) is the best of the bunch but still has not led his team to anything significant yet. Wilson (2), Lance (3) were awful, Fields (11) and Mac Jones(15) - mediocre at best.
  • 2020 Draft - Burrow has been very good and worth the #1 Overall IMO, Tags and Herbert at 5 & 6 have been very good - but has not manifested in significant team results yet, Love (26) and Hurts (53) as later picks have been on par with the others and have made some noise in the playoffs
  • 2019 - Murray (1) and Jones (6) have not done anything significant beyond single playoff appearances
  • 2018 - Mayfield (1) has been OK at best, Darnold (3) backup level, Rosen(10) out of the league. Best have been Allen (7) and Jackson (32)
  • 2017 - Mitch Trubisky was selected #2 in the same draft at Mahomes at #10. Watson at 12 was good before his personal issues and injuries.
Ya no guarantee's. That 2018 year was hyped as heck, and only one of those guys panned out.

I leave Lamar out of the "panned out" group because I don't remember him being as hyped. Darnold and Rosen though for sure. Allen to a lesser extent coming from a small school and he had some question marks in the form of completion %.

As to my point above about lists changing dramatically as the season goes on, Burrow jumped big in his senior year if I remember right, Tyler Murray seemed to jump big post season, Jones too, and both are questionable as to if they should have. Haskins, RIP, was the heir apparent going into his soph season, had a big year, but still fell in the draft.

Came across a Youtube vid of a 1970 game between Giants and Philly.
Dude cleaned-up and enhanced the original recording and it looks pretty modern
A commenter said this game was when Cosell was drunk and threw-up on Don Meredith

Reactions: RU-05
This should be fun for us Giants fans. It is the offseason version that won’t include training camp though

443841718_844520407719569_4746808551308153195_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT