ADVERTISEMENT

OT - 6 FIFA officials arrested on suspicion of getting, paying millions in bribes

Is this really a surprise to anyone? They selected Qatar for 2022. Yes Qatar where the average daytime temps are 120 degrees! Who ever thought that was a legit bidding process is on crack.

Not a follower of FIFA or its elections but love the World Cup. Coincidentally I watched a piece on E-60 I think by Jeremy Schaff on the whole thing and all the corruption over the weekend. It was well done and gave you some insight into Blatter, the president of FIFA, he sounds like a dictator and there were a few whistleblowers interviewed who say he bought all the votes to become president the first time as did Qatar to win the world cup in 2022. No one gave them a chance to win so it was quite shocking they did as stated its 120 degrees in the shade there in the summer. It was also a bit of a surprise that England didn't win for 2018 but they have been outspoken critics of Blatter and that sealed their fate even though they have the facilities and fan support.

Is this really a surprise to anyone? They selected Qatar for 2022. Yes Qatar where the average daytime temps are 120 degrees! Who ever thought that was a legit bidding process is on crack.
Not to mention they don't even play soccer in Qatar!!

If the USA can really get these guys Extradited , I'll be very surprised. And why the USA, and not one of the other member countries?

Extradition is pretty much a given. Swiss authorities wouldn't have arrested these guys on a US indictment if they didn't intend to extradite them.

Nice of authorities to move this along at the glacial pace they did. I wonder what the straw was that broke the camel's back. I'd guess the Qatar bid and maybe the Russians too. I'm just a pedestrian soccer follower and even I've known this corruption has been going on for ages. The one they really need to take down is Sepp Blatter, the long time president of FIFA. Maybe they'll get some of these other officials to turn on him. I think he's actually up for re-election on Friday. I wouldn't be shocked if he still won too.

If the USA can really get these guys Extradited , I'll be very surprised. And why the USA, and not one of the other member countries?

I would imagine it's because soccer isn't a huge sport in the US, so we don't care about making waves with FIFA. Also, the guy that FIFA hired to investigate the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids (and whose report they then subsequently white-washed) was a former US prosecutor -- so you can be pretty sure he dug up some serious s**t during that process and went to the FBI when FIFA covered it up.

Also, the lead informant is an American -- a high-ranking member of the US delegation to FIFA with a tax-evasion problem.

If they don't re-bid the Russia and Qatar awards, FIFA is basically saying the people who GIVE the bribes should not be punished, only the ones ACCEPT the bribes. Would love it if there was a movement to boycott both events by US, England and some others. Would absolutely kill TV revenues for the organizers. Next step is watch the sponsors and what they do. Sony backed out last year.

m28li.jpg

Reactions: Bones131
Extradition is pretty much a given. Swiss authorities wouldn't have arrested these guys on a US indictment if they didn't intend to extradite them.

I heard the Swiss Gov't is very tired of having such a corrupt organization in their country. They consider them a black eye and will gladly send them to the US for trial.

Hell, even Claude Rains wasn't shocked to find out FIFA is corrupt.

Until Jim Dolan hired Isaiah Thomas to run the Liberty, FIFA's selection of Qatar for the World Cup stood alone as the stupidest decision made in sports this decade.

It's a good day to re-visit John Oliver's hilarious rant about FIFA before last year's World Cup:

Until Jim Dolan hired Isaiah Thomas to run the Liberty, FIFA's selection of Qatar for the World Cup stood alone as the stupidest decision made in sports this decade.

It's a good day to re-visit John Oliver's hilarious rant about FIFA before last year's World Cup:

That was friggen hilarious

That is one corrupt organization down and two to go(IOC and NCAA). Nice to see these FIFA officials get put into the Group of Death.

One country, one vote. The way FIFA divides money it was a foregone conclusion Blatter had enough votes in his pocket to stay in power. There's too many people in around the world stuffing their wallets to expect a different result.

Let's see if UEFA has the balls to leave. It would be like the BIG leaving the NCAA except UEFA has even more power, tradition and money. Something akin to if the BIG had every powerhouse in football except like USC and FSU for example (as Brazil and Argentina are the only non European big boys).

More than anything it'd put the Russians in a tough spot. Give up the world cup or give up European association. I'm sure Spartak et al would love to leave the champions league to play the best team from Korea for example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT