ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Annual Tiger Woods Comeback Thread

Use your google machine to look up who was POTUS on 8/15/2017 when the mugshot was taken.
The presidency of Donald Trump began at noon EST on January 20, 2017, your picture was taken in August of 2017.
So both pictures were taken during Trump's presidency.Obama's presidency was over and had no bearing ( unless he served the booze) on Tigar's DWI Mugshot.

What's your point in bringing Obama and Trump up in this Tiger comeback thread ?
Think one had racism pointed at him, while the other seems to condone it ?

The presidency of Donald Trump began at noon EST on January 20, 2017, your picture was taken in August of 2017.
So both pictures were taken during Trump's presidency.Obama's presidency was over and had no bearing ( unless he served the booze) on Tigar's DWI Mugshot.

What's your point in bringing Obama and Trump up in this Tiger comeback thread ?
Think one had racism pointed at him, while the other seems to condone it ?

My guess is that RutgHoops was replying to someone you have on ignore.... thread got confusing for me, too, for a bit, until I showed ignored users. Totally validated why they were on ignore in the first place, fwiw.

Reactions: RU_Planning
My guess is that RutgHoops was replying to someone you have on ignore.... thread got confusing for me, too, for a bit, until I showed ignored users. Totally validated why they were on ignore in the first place, fwiw.
Thanks, but my reply to hoops wasn't me being confused because I have someone on ignore.
I mistakenly replied to him instead of brother skinny.
That was my bad and thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: RUChoppin
My point which you and all the racist liberals on the board believe and try to convince others of is that the U.S. as inherently racist. Well the first post I put up shows we are not. a predominantly white gallery cheering on Tiger Woods.
You're the idiot who just injected race and politics into a golf thread. Congrats again on being a d-bag and trying to derail the thread. And, for the record, a bunch of mostly wealthy white folks cheering for a half black/half Asian, fabulously wealthy golfer, while indicative of how far we've come over the last 50+ years, isn't quite proof that racism isn't an issue in this country.

My point which you and all the racist liberals on the board believe and try to convince others of is that the U.S. as inherently racist. Well the first post I put up shows we are not. a predominantly white gallery cheering on Tiger Woods.

No, your point was you thought Obama was POTUS when the photo was taken. He wasn't. Like most of your other posts on this board you got your facts wrong.

Reactions: chase07470
On the bet, yes - I just gave him props on that thread. He should still come here to acknowledge how wrong he was, IMO.

Still wondering if @Knight Shift paid our $100 bet on last year's March snowfall to the Scarlet R, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
That was the B1G Build Fund, friend of Amy Freeze! We are listed on the B1G Fund Website- think at the level where our names will be on a plaque--just look up Mr. and Mrs. Shift.

Reactions: knightfan7
That was the B1G Build Fund, friend of Amy Freeze! We are listed on the B1G Fund Website- think at the level where our names will be on a plaque--just look up Mr. and Mrs. Shift.

Excellent! You know I was just teasing - I was certain you would've made the donation. Will have to find something suitable to bet on to give you a chance to win your $$ "back." Maybe the over/under on how many shots of Scotch @DJ Spanky can do before he hurls.

Excellent! You know I was just teasing - I was certain you would've made the donation. Will have to find something suitable to bet on to give you a chance to win your $$ "back." Maybe the over/under on how many shots of Scotch @DJ Spanky can do before he hurls.
Or how many times Amy Freeze correctly predicts the weather? :fistbump: If I win, I get a date with Amy Freeze (with Mrs. Shift there too, of course).

Oooooooooo......can I get in on some of that action?

Idiot. A predominantly white crowd cheering for Tiger proves there's no racism towards him? You're a special kind of stupid.

It's people like you, who submit posts like your dual photos and try to make associations between Tiger's issues with presciption pain meds with Obama times, who are the individual racists. People like you want to blame Obama for the racism in this country, which is laughable. The U.S. is not inherently racist, nor are the 'racist liberals' trying to convince others of it. And don't give me this crap about there being anti-white racism. That being said, there are plenty of biases that exist of all kinds, some of them based on race, many of which are not which doesn't amount to being widespread racism. You have proved, as numbers said above that you are a d-bag, if not worse.

Reactions: ewc128
Or how many times Amy Freeze correctly predicts the weather? :fistbump: If I win, I get a date with Amy Freeze (with Mrs. Shift there too, of course).

You didn't say what I'd win. A "date" with Paul Kocin to discuss his seminal (he said "seminal" heh-heh) book on Northeast Winter Snowstorms?

Bethpage, baby. Whose going? It will be epic if Tiger is near the lead on Sunday.

Bethpage, baby. Whose going? It will be epic if Tiger is near the lead on Sunday.

I was there for one day when Tiger won it. , company had a Hospitality tent set up for us to bring our clients, so that made the day pretty good. But to get there from NJ was a bit of a pain in the butt. I wound up taking the train from Newark to NY, then the LIRR, then a shuttle bus. Same coming back. Not sure if driving is any better. It's a long course to walk, with some hills as well, but really challenging and fun to watch the players go at it.
I'll probably wait for end of August when the first round of the FedEx Cup is in Jersey City at Liberty National. While not a major, it's a heck of a lot easier to get to, lol, and still a pretty important event.

I'm guessing Tiger only plays once more before the PGA, probably the Wells Fargo in Charlotte, in 2 weeks.

Interestingly the yardage for Bethpage Black for the PGA will be almost exactly the same as Augusta National for The Masters) at around 7,450. Although Bethpage will be a par 70, while Masters was Par was 72. Biggest difference will be the rough, Masters had almost none, Bethpage will have plenty, I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
President Trump to award the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Tiger. Meh i guess that's nice.

President Trump to award the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Tiger. Meh i guess that's nice.
Plenty of other sports figures received that Award (including Michael Jordan and Richard Petty) for their accomplishments in sports.
There is no reason to oppose Tiger getting one, in my opinion.
Being friends with a President helps, but you still need to earn it by accomplishing something considered outstanding.
Also I imagine other Presidential Medal of Freedom recipients had a friendly relation with the President that gave them their award, so I bet Woods isn't the first recipient that has a good relation with a President that received that award.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Plenty of other sports figures received that Award (including Michael Jordan and Richard Petty) for their accomplishments in sports.
There is no reason to oppose Tiger getting one, in my opinion.
Being friends with a President helps, but you still need to earn it by accomplishing something considered outstanding.
Also I imagine other Presidential Medal of Freedom recipients had a friendly relation with the President that gave them their award, so I bet Woods isn't the first recipient that has a good relation with a President that received that award.

No I get it. I'm not against just Meh on it.

I was there for one day when Tiger won it. , company had a Hospitality tent set up for us to bring our clients, so that made the day pretty good. But to get there from NJ was a bit of a pain in the butt. I wound up taking the train from Newark to NY, then the LIRR, then a shuttle bus. Same coming back. Not sure if driving is any better. It's a long course to walk, with some hills as well, but really challenging and fun to watch the players go at it.
I'll probably wait for end of August when the first round of the FedEx Cup is in Jersey City at Liberty National. While not a major, it's a heck of a lot easier to get to, lol, and still a pretty important event.

I'm guessing Tiger only plays once more before the PGA, probably the Wells Fargo in Charlotte, in 2 weeks.

Interestingly the yardage for Bethpage Black for the PGA will be almost exactly the same as Augusta National for The Masters) at around 7,450. Slope rating similar as well, w the Masters at 135 and PGA at 130. Biggest difference will be the rough, Masters had almost none, Bethpage will have plenty, I'm guessing.

Will be interesting to see how they set it up for the PGA vs. the US Open, where the rough was penal with only a few players in 2002/2009 breaking par. I'd guess the rough won't be US Open length, but will be a lot tougher than Augusta "rough." It's such a pain in the ass to get to, but I'm still debating going for at least one day...

Michael Jordan say's "Tiger's comeback the greatest he's ever seen' :

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jordan-says-woods-comeback-greatest-ever-seen-231841044--golf.html

Jim Nantz: 'Tiger's comeback win at the 2019 Masters, the best event I've ever covered'

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jim-nantz-calls-tiger-woods-172915157.html

Nantz's coverage from the link is worth rewatching. He goes completely silent for about 2:30 after Tiger sinks his putt, simply letting the cameras and microphones do their job - perfectly understated silence, IMO, rather than talking all over the moment. Until I rewatched it, I had no idea nobody from CBS said anything for that long. Masterful. Reminds me of this scene from Crimson Tide...

Reactions: Abro1975
Nantz's coverage from the link is worth rewatching. He goes completely silent for about 2:30 after Tiger sinks his putt, simply letting the cameras and microphones do their job - perfectly understated silence, IMO, rather than talking all over the moment. Until I rewatched it, I had no idea nobody from CBS said anything for that long. Masterful. Reminds me of this scene from Crimson Tide...

Cali may never be the same after watching that video.

Reactions: RU848789
do they give him the same jacket as before or does he get a new one each time?

The previous one would be about 15 years old, lol. Guessing Augusta National can afford couple of hundred bucks for each green jacket. Actually, now that I think of it, they probably get them free , as the jacket maker gets great free advertising. Tiger may be a size or 2 larger now as well.

edit- http://www.americanmanufacturing.or...cket-is-shrouded-in-mystery.-but-is-it-made-i

Btw, TaylorMade is running a promotion. If Rory wins the PGA, free M6 or M5 driver at golf galaxy or Dicks. I’m a big Rory fan now.

Cali may never be the same after watching that video.

lol, he still can't bring himself to post in this thread - it must be tough being so badly wrong in a sustained fashion, i.e, years now - and to be fair, he did post in the other thread and is paying up on his bet, but I still would like to hear his explanation for why he thought he'd ever be right on Tiger. We actually agree 90% of the time on sports stuff (politics, not so much, lol), so I always found his extreme position on Tiger to be surprising. At least when a weather forecast goes badly, there's usually a chance a redemption in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Should we start a Jordan Spieth comeback thread now?

LOL ! good one ! Spieth seems to have been passed by Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson as being considered having the best chance of being the next dominating golfer. Rory McElroy still very popular and with him having 4 Majors , he is only behind Tiger w 15, Els with 6 and Mickelson with 5 Majors as active players on the tour. But Spieth's dominating period seems to have been about 3 or 4 years. A lot of golfers have that kind of run. It's few and far between to be dominating over a decade , like Tiger, Phil, and Rory approaching that.
As far as 'star power', Speith is still way behind Mickelson and McElroy (nobody is in Tiger's league). I'd put Spieth in the same conversation with Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Bubba Watson as far as getting the biggest galleries and star power.

Here's an interesting prop bet.... Does Mickelson with 5 Majors catch Seve and Trevino with 6 or even Arnold Palmer, Bobby Jones and Sam Snead with 7 ? I'd take the 6, but not 7.

list of major winners:
https://www.thoughtco.com/mens-major-championships-1561097

Last edited:
LOL ! good one ! Spieth seems to have been passed by Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson as being considered having the best chance of being the next dominating golfer. Rory McElroy still very popular and with him having 4 Majors , he is only behind Tiger w 15, Els with 6 and Mickelson with 5 Majors as active players on the tour. But Spieth's dominating period seems to have been about 3 or 4 years. A lot of golfers have that kind of run. It's few and far between to be dominating over a decade , like Tiger, Phil, and Rory approaching that.
As far as 'star power', Speith is still way behind Mickelson and McElroy (nobody is in Tiger's league). I'd put Spieth in the same conversation with Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Bubba Watson as far as getting the biggest galleries and star power.

Here's an interesting prop bet.... Does Mickelson with 5 Majors catch Seve and Trevino with 6 or even Arnold Palmer, Bobby Jones and Sam Snead with 7 ? I'd take the 6, but not 7.

list of major winners:
If Sergio can win a major, I don’t see why Phil can’t. Of course Sergio did it when Tiger was on the sideline. I still remember that he thanked Tiger for not being at the 2008 Players when he won.

Should we start a Jordan Spieth comeback thread now?
Either Speith or Anthony Kim. Miss AK on the tour. Read a recent article where it seems he is done. Too bad. I always like the public course guys.

A Speith comeback thread does see appropriate at this time. He should have stayed single. Probably too much stuff in his head to distract him from golf.

If Sergio can win a major, I don’t see why Phil can’t. Of course Sergio did it when Tiger was on the sideline. I still remember that he thanked Tiger for not being at the 2008 Players when he won.

I agree , although Sergio is 10 years younger than Phil, but not in his league as far as golf talent. Phil is now 48, I think he will be contention on a Sunday Major a few more times. Hopefully he can get it done a couple more times.

My favorite 'short period' star was John Daly. Man could that guy draw galleries. And just like Tiger, he was /is , a very flawed man, with tremendous golf abilities, that the golf fans , and galleries, were drawn to. In his short shining period he got 2 Majors and a few more tour wins.

Here is Daly talking about if Tiger will reach or pass Jack's major record:

list of major winners:

I always get a kick seeing Jim Barnes name being on the list of major winners. As I've said several times I caddied at Essex County as a youngster. You'd often see him hanging around the 10th Tee on Sunday afternoons. We weren't allowed to speak to him and many members would be intimidated teeing off under his gaze.

He passed away the last year I worked there.

The problem with Phil the past few years has been the inability to put 4 rounds together mostly because of his inability to hit the fairway off the tee. I like to follow players with the shot tracker. Even at Augusta with the wide fairways there were times when Phil's drive didn't immediately track because he was so far off.

I'm a big Mickelson fan, but Phil is now older than the oldest major winner ever (Boros was 48 when he won the 1968 PGA), so I think it would be a pretty tall order for him to win another - the window is closing rapidly, although he still is pretty competitive on occasion. Would be pretty cool to see.

I always get a kick seeing Jim Barnes name being on the list of major winners. As I've said several times I caddied at Essex County as a youngster. You'd often see him hanging around the 10th Tee on Sunday afternoons. We weren't allowed to speak to him and many members would be intimidated teeing off under his gaze.

He passed away the last year I worked there.

I"m not sure who you are talking about, the only Major winner named Jim or James Barnes I could find was from the 1919 PGA Championship. Him ?

edit-yes, you must be referring to this James M. Barnes. Says he died in East Orange in 1966 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Barnes

Won:

I"m not sure who you are talking about, the only Major winner named Jim or James Barnes I could find was from the 1919 PGA Championship. Him ?

edit-yes, you must be referring to this James M. Barnes. Says he died in East Orange in 1966 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Barnes

Won:

Yup that's him. Long Jim Barnes. Tall man for his time. Heck he'd be considered tall on today's Tour. He was elderly and in poor health but still had such a presence about him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT