ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Are fall Saturday weddings acceptable?

Are fall Saturday weddings acceptable?

• No, Saturdays are for college football

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • Yes, college football is dumb

Votes: 19 25.7%

• Total voters
Married Sept 28 1968. Away game vs Princeton. Listened on radio with best man in church vestibule. First words when met at alter “Rutgers WON”. Amazing we’re still together 54 years later. But watch fall nuptials: Some anniversaries can be a bitch.

Reactions: RUPete and MADHAT1
A Saturday wedding in mid-September is a great time of year for a wedding. Relax, you can miss one day of college football. The world won't end.
We are going to have request that you turn in your man card. We will come take it if forcefully if we have too!

A Breakdown of Popular Wedding Months
  • January – 4.7%
  • February – 7.0%
  • March – 6.1%
  • April – 7.4%
  • May – 9.8%
  • June – 10.8%
  • July – 9.7%
  • August – 10.2%
  • September – 9.6%
  • October – 9.4%
  • November – 7.4%
  • December – 7.8%

Another source says this.. and mentions recent years for their "data"..

1. October
October accounted for 20% of weddings in 2022, marking the peak of the wedding season. Pumpkin decor details, Halloween-inspired themes and seasonal desserts are just a few things to love about fall weddings.

2. September
Coming in at a close second, 15% of couples were married in September last year. Spoiler alert: The most popular wedding date of 2023 will be in September.

3. June
Early summer is the third most popular time of the year to get married, with 10% of weddings taking place in June last year.

4. July & August
July and August were tied for the fourth most popular wedding months, each accounting for 9% of weddings in 2022. Unsurprisingly, the warm summer months are a great choice for outdoor weddings and beach wedding themes.

5. May & November
Tied in fifth place are May and November, with 8% of weddings taking place during each month last year. These "shoulder" months may offer more flexibility and budget-friendly options compared to the popularity of summer or fall.

Maybe June weddings were just old-fashioned where people got married early.. right after college ended and they were off to start new careers and a new life?

Also people didn't do weird shit like Halloween weddings.

If anyone on this board believes a Rutgeres football game is more fun than a wedding...A. You're doing weddings wrong. B. You're a better fan than I am.

Reactions: MulletCork
If anyone on this board believes a Rutgeres football game is more fun than a wedding...A. You're doing weddings wrong. B. You're a better fan than I am.
06-09 was a good time

If Football becomes consistently good where the games became events and you’re competiting with and beating top tier B1G teams in front of sellout crowds, then yes, I’d unequivally say games would be more fun then weddings

06-09 was a good time

If Football becomes consistently good where the games became events and you’re competiting with and beating top tier B1G teams in front of sellout crowds, then yes, I’d unequivally say games would be more fun then weddings
You're making my point. Fifteen years ago, maybe. Not now.

A Breakdown of Popular Wedding Months
  • January – 4.7%
  • February – 7.0%
  • March – 6.1%
  • April – 7.4%
  • May – 9.8%
  • June – 10.8%
  • July – 9.7%
  • August – 10.2%
  • September – 9.6%
  • October – 9.4%
  • November – 7.4%
  • December – 7.8%

Another source says this.. and mentions recent years for their "data"..

1. October
October accounted for 20% of weddings in 2022, marking the peak of the wedding season. Pumpkin decor details, Halloween-inspired themes and seasonal desserts are just a few things to love about fall weddings.

2. September
Coming in at a close second, 15% of couples were married in September last year. Spoiler alert: The most popular wedding date of 2023 will be in September.

3. June
Early summer is the third most popular time of the year to get married, with 10% of weddings taking place in June last year.

4. July & August
July and August were tied for the fourth most popular wedding months, each accounting for 9% of weddings in 2022. Unsurprisingly, the warm summer months are a great choice for outdoor weddings and beach wedding themes.

5. May & November
Tied in fifth place are May and November, with 8% of weddings taking place during each month last year. These "shoulder" months may offer more flexibility and budget-friendly options compared to the popularity of summer or fall.

Maybe June weddings were just old-fashioned where people got married early.. right after college ended and they were off to start new careers and a new life?

I know a guy who was a landscape architect (35 years) who did exclusive design/plantings etc for celebs. He always said September is the most reliable month. Temps go down, skies are blue - like 9-11. Hurricanes can happen but not too often, October can be pretty erratic on the weather change border. I've found Sept an underrated month - its a very pleasant month overall

I know a guy who was a landscape architect (35 years) who did exclusive design/plantings etc for celebs. He always said September is the most reliable month. Temps go down, skies are blue - like 9-11. Hurricanes can happen but not too often, October can be pretty erratic on the weather change border. I've found Sept an underrated month - its a very pleasant month overall

I've always said that September is the best month of the year in this part of the country.

October is super erratic. Just can't rely on October.

Reactions: ashokan
My only request when getting married was nothing in the fall

That extended out until Dec - Jan as fsu was elite back then and I wasn’t missing championship games for anything

I Let my wife pick venue, photographer, song list, date, attire, seating chart, invites, wedding party, etc - but getting married in the fall simply wasn’t an option

We ended up doing it in mid August, same w honeymoon as to not interfere w college fb season

It’s worked out well as 11 years later we’re still married and she knows the deal with college football

I’ve missed weddings for games - don’t begrudge people for having them in the fall, but unless we’re super tight, or it’s during a bye week, it’s a non starter

Reactions: DUForever
Saturdays in the fall is fine, Sunday pisses me off, more of NFL fan. I told wifey when we got engaged we aren't doing a fall wedding, got married July 31st. She's a good one.

Also people didn't do weird shit like Halloween weddings.
We were invited to a wedding on Monday April 8th 2024 at 2 pm because of the eclipse.

Can it get any worse than that?

BTW we got married last year during the Wagner game. Not a bye week but close enough

Reactions: fsg2
If you can't suck it up and miss a game for a family member or someone you consider a friend, it says more about you than it does about them.

That doesn't mean you can't give that person some friendly ribbing for doing so. But be f'ing happy for the couple ffs.

Also...Streaming the game on your phone has never been easier.

We were invited to a wedding on Monday April 8th 2024 at 2 pm because of the eclipse.

BTW we got married last year during the Wagner game. Not a bye week but close enough
What???? Can you provide more details on that?

What???? Can you provide more details on that?
HAHA. Well my wife's cousin and her soon to be husband think there is something significant about the eclipse and the ceremony will be right at the time of the eclipse. So everyone apparently is expected to call off work for it. I'm not sure exactly what it is they think is so great about it?? but my thought is, if you want to do that, do it privately and have a big celebration that is at a more traditional time.

HAHA. Well my wife's cousin and her soon to be husband think there is something significant about the eclipse and the ceremony will be right at the time of the eclipse. So everyone apparently is expected to call off work for it. I'm not sure exactly what it is they think is so great about it?? but my thought is, if you want to do that, do it privately and have a big celebration that is at a more traditional time.
I agree with your take about doing something small then having a bigger celebration. However, it will be memorable, that's for sure!

Reactions: RUinOhio

From simply a practical standpoint, getting a hotel in the eclipse zone is not easy. But yeah that's bad. The eclipse happens really slowly, and that is what people will be paying attention to.

From simply a practical standpoint, getting a hotel in the eclipse zone is not easy. But yeah that's bad. The eclipse happens really slowly, and that is what people will be paying attention to.
Yeah, but your gift or party favor is all set. Eclipse glasses with the couple's names and wedding date.

• Haha
You should have said…no, as I’m just trying to black it out.

#rimshot.

• Haha
Reactions: RUPete and RUinOhio
I never even considered that. Great point.

Or just skip the big celebration.

I guess if your folks, bridal party and critical guests agree, it's fine. Just don't expect too many others.

Of course these weddings are acceptable, I was married on a Sat on 10/16. … some 30 years ago. Anyone that would put a football game above something like that needs a serious re-examining of priorities. In my case, I was very fortunate to marry a woman who likes watching some sports and football and allows me to watch football games without many conditions.

Of course these weddings are acceptable, I was married on a Sat on 10/16. … some 30 years ago. Anyone that would put a football game above something like that needs a serious re-examining of priorities. In my case, I was very fortunate to marry a woman who likes watching some sports and football and allows me to watch football games without many conditions.

Really depends how close you are. There's definitely a cutoff as to whose wedding is worth giving up game day.

Reactions: RUPete
I never even considered that. Great point.
Oh the traffic. We to the west coast in 2017 and saw the total eclipse from Salem Oregon. Imagine nearly every FBS football game taking place at noon in NJ on the same day - that’s the traffic situation to expect. They advised people to bring extra water and food. Hours to the zone, and many hours to get out of the area. It was nuts, but very cool and worth it.

Our wedding was on 9/1/91, so every once in awhile, I have to miss a football game. Somehow, I don't think and weddings of friends (or now, their kids) has interfered with a game in 30+ years, possibly because many of our good friends happen to be RU football fans and know better, lol. Close call this year, as my wife's sister's wedding was on 9/1, same as our anniversary, and I thought it was safe on a Friday night, but then there were rumors of the game being moved to that Friday night on LD weekend, but luckily that didn't happen. While I might be able to talk my way out of a wedding of a not-that-close friend, there would've been no way to get out of a sister-in-law's wedding...

My aunt got married on New Year's day. I thought that was a bunch of horse$hit since everyone in the family were crazy drinkers and had to get up by 10 to go to it.

Got married Sept 10th 2006. Got some serious shit from all the Giants fans lol. Opening Day
1st time Peyton playing Eli. Still hear about it to this day. Though everyone said that was the best wedding they've been to. Got read the riot act before wedding DO NOT DO SHOTS. I'm like do shots I dont do shots i stay in my beer lane....well not that day my friends & family hit me the the flaming Zambuca shots. Like a dozen of them to go with my dozen+ beers probably closer to 24 beers was drinking b4 the wedding long long day. Think I had like a 3 or 4 day hangover

it’s all about what matters to people

Like I said, zero chance I was getting married in the fall

DGAF about many things, but football is very important, and there’s 8 - 9 other months to do it

I don’t begrudge people for doing it, but I don’t wana hear a peep if I don’t attend

You’ll get your money, and a hearty congratulations. But unless we’re super close, it’s an absolute non starter

College fb means that much to me

Reactions: JRZEER
it’s all about what matters to people

Like I said, zero chance I was getting married in the fall

DGAF about many things, but football is very important, and there’s 8 - 9 other months to do it

I don’t begrudge people for doing it, but I don’t wana hear a peep if I don’t attend

You’ll get your money, and a hearty congratulations. But unless we’re super close, it’s an absolute non starter

College fb means that much to me

Preach.

As some know, on homecoming I chose to not attend the wedding of my stepbrother's oldest daughter. I'm not terribly close to either one and the entire family - stepbrother, wife, both kids - are RU grads. My position was that they all should have known better and I wasn't going to indulge their lack of consideration.

Reactions: JRZEER
I enjoy fall Saturday weddings. I hate weddings in general, but I’ll actually attend a fall one if absolutely necessary. With the phone i don’t miss anything

Preach.

As some know, on homecoming I chose to not attend the wedding of my stepbrother's oldest daughter. I'm not terribly close to either one and the entire family - stepbrother, wife, both kids - are RU grads. My position was that they all should have known better and I wasn't going to indulge their lack of consideration.
Smart move. Let’s be honest, they didn’t care wether you went or not. I love when I don’t get invited to stuff. Keeps me paying for something I wouldn’t have gone to otherwise.

Reactions: RU4Real
I didn’t want to post until after the game but my last fall wedding was during the Cincinnati game in 2006. Didn’t want to bring back that karma. Life is what it is and fall is a great season to enjoy things besides football. I enjoy time shifting away games and getting out to enjoy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT