ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Are fall Saturday weddings acceptable?

Are fall Saturday weddings acceptable?

• No, Saturdays are for college football

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • Yes, college football is dumb

Votes: 19 25.7%

• Total voters
If it's on a Sunday, no problem, my Giants suck. On a Saturday, I'm skipping the ceremony and your reception better have a bar with the Rutgers game on TV. Otherwise, I'm pissed the whole time and just putting on a happy face, but behind that happy face my wife knows I'm fuming. The one time it happened I became like a crack addict jonezing for Rutgers football.

Happening to me four times this season - Wagner and Wisconsin (friends "destination" wedding in Italy and an extended vacation in Greece), PSU (Brother in Law), and Maryland (Cousin)... No bueno.

Last edited:
Guardians Of The Galaxy Seriously GIF by Leroy Patterson

Conflicts like this can easily be avoided. If it's a wedding where you are an invitee, politely send regrets!! 😜

Why even poll with such silly options? Just ask and step out of your own way.

Of course they're acceptable. Fall's perfect for weddings and Saturday is the only good day to have one.

That doesn't mean I won't be declining more liberally based on game lineup and/or watching on anything from my phone to a nearby bar's TV during church, reception or both.

Also, on-demand replays really alleviate the entire problem.

My wife and I got married in April after March Madness ended. No summer or sports weekends disrupted. Still together after 26 years.

Choose wisely people.
April/May are the sweet spots for weddings if you are a sports fan, IMO. July/August are too hot and in the middle of Vacation Season in the summer and June has NBA/NHL Finals.

April/May are the sweet spots for weddings if you are a sports fan, IMO. July/August are too hot and in the middle of Vacation Season in the summer and June has NBA/NHL Finals.

Kinda lousy for weather, though.

Ok by me , but I won’t be attending if there is a big home game 😎.

I also Dream some day in the near future there will be a Mets playoff game in late Oct on a Fri-Sat night

Reactions: redking
any day or time of year is acceptable to whatever the bride and groom want.
Not yer mother or her mother nor yer grandmother or her grandmother,
Its yer wedding day no one elses but yours

Reactions: Rutgers56
No
There’s 40 other Saturday’s

Sunday weddings in the fall are also unacceptable If you have to travel to them or you are in the wedding, and need to miss college football because of preparations the day before.

• Haha
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
There is only one acceptable way to get married on a Saturday during college football season. At your tailgate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: ldwnmas
How do you feel?
I got married last fall 10/15. It was a beautiful fall day and I made sure my wife to be knew she was not to schedule our wedding A) on a Rutgers home game day Or if possible when Rutgers was playing. She is a keeper, scheduled it on our bye week so me and my entire tailgate crew could enjoy our wedding. A grand time was had by all!

Married on October 14th, 16 years ago. It was a Sunday. Morning wedding (like 10:30). Bar access for 1:00 games. Whole thing was over by like 3:30. Married at the Breakers in Spring Lake.

Reactions: koleszar
There is only one acceptable way to get married on a Saturday during college football season. At your tailgate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I remember an engagement party at a tailgate across from us in the Yellow Lot a couple of years back. Otherwise, unless you’re the one getting married or in the wedding party, send regrets and a generous gift and move on.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Married on October 14th, 16 years ago. It was a Sunday. Morning wedding (like 10:30). Bar access for 1:00 games. Whole thing was over by like 3:30. Married at the Breakers in Spring Lake.
Look at Mr. Fancypants here getting married at "The Breakers" in Spring Lake. That's Big $$$.

Look at Mr. Fancypants here getting married at "The Breakers" in Spring Lake. That's Big $$$.
Not on a Sunday morning where you do your own flowers, table settings etc. Less than 20k when it was all put together. Granted it was 16 years ago. Sunday is significantly cheaper than Saturday in the fall.

Not on a Sunday morning where you do your own flowers, table settings etc. Less than 20k when it was all put together. Granted it was 16 years ago. Sunday is significantly cheaper than Saturday in the fall.
Sounds like a football-friendly Sunday brunch, guest-friendly event. Well done!

Sounds like a football-friendly Sunday brunch, guest-friendly event. Well done!
It was important to the extended family. I'm a Skins fan so it's never been that important to me, unfortunately. haha

Reactions: RUPete
Everybody here should be extremely grateful for fall Saturday weddings. I watched last Saturday until start of 4th qtr and then left for my nephew's (also godson) wedding. I got a voicemail when I arrived from @RUBigJ that we won. Never would have happened if I was watching. BTW here is my selfie

Cs6z2UjUAAANPh8.jpg

Reactions: rurichdog
Weddings are an easy one.

Things like kids sports, trips and vacations, and births/baptisms oof your own children are the tight calls.

Got married 11/7/87. Pitt at RU that day. Married at St Peters church off College Ave. Reception at Eagleton on Cook. Stayed at Hyatt. Pitt players stayed there. They were huge. Epic post wedding party at Hyatt until security closed it down. No one cared about the game.

I feel badly for the traditional June wedding people. With "Pride Month" and now "Juneteenth" that's a lot more pressure on venue availability as well as competing events. Add in the backlog still being worked from CoVid years.. sheesh.. no wonder there seems to be more fall weddings.

I feel badly for the traditional June wedding people. With "Pride Month" and now "Juneteenth" that's a lot more pressure on venue availability as well as competing events. Add in the backlog still being worked from CoVid years.. sheesh.. no wonder there seems to be more fall weddings.
Actually Fall weddings might be more hard to schedule than a traditional June wedding .
Add football to this list of holidays and ine will have a hard time to marry and observe the holiday
Sep 4MondayLabor DayFederal Holiday
Sep 4MondayLabor DayState Holiday
Sep 6WednesdayJanmashtamiHindu Holiday
3 day time limit
Sep 9SaturdayCarl Garner Federal Lands Cleanup DayObservance
Sep 9SaturdayNative American DayState Observance
Sep 9SaturdayCalifornia Admission DayState Holiday
Sep 10SundayNational Grandparents DayObservance
Sep 11MondayFirst Responders DayState Observance
Sep 11MondayPatriot DayObservance
Sep 11MondayPatriot DayState Observance
4 days to get it done
Sep 15FridayFirst Day of National Hispanic Heritage MonthAnnual Monthly Observance
Sep 15FridayNational POW/MIA Recognition DayObservance
Sep 16SaturdayRosh HashanaJewish holiday
Sep 16SaturdayRosh HashanaState Holiday
Sep 17SundayConstitution Day and Citizenship DayObservance
Sep 17SundayConstitution Commemoration DayState Holiday
Sep 18MondayGanesh ChaturthiHindu Holiday
Sep 18MondayAir Force BirthdayObservance
Sep 18MondayConstitution Day and Citizenship Day observedObservance
Sep 22FridayEmancipation DayLocal observanceOhio
Sep 22FridayNative American DayState ObservanceCalifornia, Nevada
Sep 22FridayMichigan Indian DayState ObservanceMichigan
Sep 23SaturdayPublic Lands DayState ObservanceWyoming
Sep 23SaturdayNational Public Lands DayObservance
Sep 23SaturdaySeptember EquinoxSeason
Sep 24SundayGold Star Mother's DayObservance
Sep 25MondayYom KippurJewish holiday
Sep 25MondayAmerican Indian DayState ObservanceTennessee
Sep 25MondayYom KippurState HolidayTexas***
Sep 28ThursdayThe Prophet's BirthdayMuslim
Sep 29FridayAmerican Indian Heritage DayState ObservanceMontana, Texas
Sep 30SaturdayFirst Day of SukkotJewish holiday
A couple of days to I do
Oct 2MondayFrances Xavier Cabrini DayState HolidayColorado
Oct 2MondayChild Health DayObservance
Oct 4WednesdayFeast of St Francis of AssisiChristian
Oct 6FridayLast Day of SukkotJewish holiday
Oct 6FridayGerman American DayObservance
Oct 7SaturdayShmini AtzeretJewish holiday
Oct 8SundaySimchat TorahJewish holiday
Oct 8SundayChicago Marathon (Tentative Date)Sporting event
Oct 9MondayLeif Erikson DayLocal observanceColorado
Oct 9MondayLeif Erikson DayObservance
Oct 9MondayColumbus DayFederal Holiday
Oct 9MondayColumbus DayState Holiday22 states
Oct 9MondayColumbus DayState Legal HolidayTennessee
Oct 9MondayFraternal DayState HolidayAlabama
Oct 9MondayYorktown Victory DayState HolidayVirginia
Oct 9MondayDiscoverers’ DayState ObservanceHawaii
Oct 9MondayNative American DayState ObservanceOklahoma
Oct 9MondayNative American DayState HolidaySouth Dakota
Oct 9MondayIndigenous People's Day (Tentative Date)State ObservanceMichigan, Minnesota
Oct 9MondayIndigenous People's DayState Observance28 states
Oct 9MondayIndigenous People's DayState HolidayDC, ME, NE, NM
Oct 9MondayAmerican Indian Heritage DayState HolidayAlabama
Oct 11WednesdayCasimir Pulaski DayState ObservanceMA, MI, RI
Oct 13FridayNavy BirthdayObservance
Oct 14SaturdayRobert E. Lee's BirthdayState ObservanceArkansas
Oct 15SundayNavratriHindu Holiday
Oct 15SundayWhite Cane Safety DayObservance
Oct 16MondayBoss's DayObservance
Oct 18WednesdayAlaska DayState HolidayAlaska
Oct 21SaturdaySweetest DayObservance13 states
Oct 23MondayDussehraHindu Holiday
4 days to get hitched
Oct 27FridayNevada DayState HolidayNevada
Oct 31TuesdayHalloweenObservance
Nov 1WednesdayAll Saints' DayChristian
Nov 1WednesdayFirst Day of Native American Heritage MonthAnnual Monthly Observance
Nov 2ThursdayAll Souls' DayChristian
Nov 5SundayNew York City MarathonSporting event
Nov 5SundayDaylight Saving Time endsClock change/Daylight Saving Time
Nov 7TuesdayElection DayObservance
Nov 7TuesdayElection DayState HolidayNew Jersey, Virginia
Nov 10FridayMarine Corps BirthdayObservance
Nov 10FridayVeterans Day (substitute)Federal Holiday
Nov 10FridayVeterans Day (substitute)State HolidayAll except MA, MS, NY, RI, TX, WI, WY
Nov 11SaturdayVeterans DayFederal Holiday
Nov 11SaturdayVeterans DayState HolidayAll except MA, MS, NY, TX, WI, WY
Nov 11SaturdayVeterans DayState HolidayMS, NY, TX, WI
Nov 12SundayDiwali/DeepavaliHindu Holiday
Nov 13MondayBarack Obama DayLocal observanceAlabama*
Nov 13MondayVeterans' Day/Armistice Day (substitute)State HolidayRhode Island
6 day time span to do it
Nov 19SundayGeorge Rogers Clark DayState ObservanceOhio
between the 19th and 23rd would be a good time
Nov 23ThursdayThanksgiving DayFederal Holiday
Nov 23ThursdayThanksgiving DayState HolidayAll
Nov 24FridayState HolidayState HolidayGeorgia
Nov 24FridayPresidents' DayState HolidayNew Mexico
Nov 24FridayLincoln's Birthday/Lincoln's DayState HolidayIndiana
Nov 24FridayDay After ThanksgivingState Holiday22 states
Nov 24FridayBlack FridayObservance
Nov 24FridayAmerican Indian Heritage DayState HolidayMaryland
Nov 24FridayNative American Heritage DayObservance
Nov 24FridayNative American Heritage DayState HolidayWashington
Nov 27MondayCyber MondayObservance
Nov 28TuesdayGiving TuesdayObservance
Nov 29WednesdayNellie Tayloe Ross's BirthdayState ObservanceWyoming

DVR the game and make sure no asshat at the wedding tells you what happened. Get home and watch it at your leasure.

I think people have been scared off June weddings for a while now because it was viewed as the most popular and expensive month - don't think it has anything to do with Pride Month or Juneteenth. But going back to the original topic, I'll add please don't schedule one in the middle of a holiday weekend or even the back-end.

Actually Fall weddings might be more hard to schedule than a traditional June wedding .
Add football to this list of holidays and ine will have a hard time to marry and observe the holiday

A Breakdown of Popular Wedding Months
  • January – 4.7%
  • February – 7.0%
  • March – 6.1%
  • April – 7.4%
  • May – 9.8%
  • June – 10.8%
  • July – 9.7%
  • August – 10.2%
  • September – 9.6%
  • October – 9.4%
  • November – 7.4%
  • December – 7.8%

Another source says this.. and mentions recent years for their "data"..

1. October
October accounted for 20% of weddings in 2022, marking the peak of the wedding season. Pumpkin decor details, Halloween-inspired themes and seasonal desserts are just a few things to love about fall weddings.

2. September
Coming in at a close second, 15% of couples were married in September last year. Spoiler alert: The most popular wedding date of 2023 will be in September.

3. June
Early summer is the third most popular time of the year to get married, with 10% of weddings taking place in June last year.

4. July & August
July and August were tied for the fourth most popular wedding months, each accounting for 9% of weddings in 2022. Unsurprisingly, the warm summer months are a great choice for outdoor weddings and beach wedding themes.

5. May & November
Tied in fifth place are May and November, with 8% of weddings taking place during each month last year. These "shoulder" months may offer more flexibility and budget-friendly options compared to the popularity of summer or fall.

Maybe June weddings were just old-fashioned where people got married early.. right after college ended and they were off to start new careers and a new life?

Reactions: ashokan and MADHAT1
I’ve missed many weddings and probably bruised a few egos but I always chose the game. In one instance the wedding was at 6 and we kicked off at 7:30. Made it to the stadium before halftime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT