ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Battle for Atlantis Bahamas

The schedule works until it doesn’t.
We need to improve it a bit. It will give us more margin for error

Reactions: RAC93
There are schedule-tards that provide no supporting information and take some bogus comment made by a committee member or media member. The committee for NCAA just spins a wheel of fortune and picks 1 of 6 reasons why they're allowed to eliminate any school from participating......the problem is, there are fans too naive and buy each of the reasons.....no program has a clean resume once you approach the bubble, you would think by now this discussion would end.

If you are a fan of RU, you have the OOC schedule of FOUR non-RAC games. Princeton, Wake Forest, Seton Hall and Mississippi State. So are fans saying we should play these 4 AND schedule a holiday tournament for 2 to 3 more games AND play 20 B1G games AND potentially 1 to 3/4 B1G tournament games??

If we want to eliminate Howard, St Peters, or Boston University from the schedule and have 2 RAC home games in November/December, then that's not realistic.

If you like the Atlantis you will LOVE Baha Mar!!!

I have been wishing we would schedule a game for the tourney down in the Bahamas every year...would be awesome! My wife is Nova grad and if RU was also in it we would be eating turkey down there every year with the fam.

There are schedule-tards that provide no supporting information and take some bogus comment made by a committee member or media member. The committee for NCAA just spins a wheel of fortune and picks 1 of 6 reasons why they're allowed to eliminate any school from participating......the problem is, there are fans too naive and buy each of the reasons.....no program has a clean resume once you approach the bubble, you would think by now this discussion would end.

If you are a fan of RU, you have the OOC schedule of FOUR non-RAC games. Princeton, Wake Forest, Seton Hall and Mississippi State. So are fans saying we should play these 4 AND schedule a holiday tournament for 2 to 3 more games AND play 20 B1G games AND potentially 1 to 3/4 B1G tournament games??

If we want to eliminate Howard, St Peters, or Boston University from the schedule and have 2 RAC home games in November/December, then that's not realistic.

Pretty simple if we were in a tourney we wouldn't schedule at Wake and Princeton...next

The committee historically pays way more attention to February basketball than November. And we were terrible down the stretch, with the choke job at Minnesota sealing our fate

The committee specifically wants to see either a strong ooc schedule and/or a quality non conference win

Rutgers has put itself on the bubble almost every season. When it does that it means a bunch of variables come into play. Last season was a tank job at the end but there were plenty of early miscues that factored in

Last season was weird
Win over Purdue, but brutal losses against Temple, SHU, Minnesota and blown game by the refs against OSU.
Playing in the B1G provides us with a lot of opportunities for qualities wins, but we need a little bit of a bump in OOC schedule. We’re not going to have a win over the number 1 in country every year

It appears we are getting the #1 ranked class in the country. I realize $ has almost everything to do with it. Maybe the selling point of we put our players 1st and make sure they can spend time with their families matters to some. I know that would be huge with my wife.

After the dark, dark, dark days of RU hoops I thnik I can be happy where we are and not be that bent out of shape that our coach put the players and his own family over us fans wanting to see basketball over the holidays.
Ok, you aren’t paying much attention to what Ace and Dylan have been doing up until now. They are constantly on the road, traveling all over the country and internationally to play with and against the best players in the world. These guys are already professionals, will be getting paid a lot of money to come here, and are going to want to play against the best teams. They are not coming to play Stonehill and Boston U. Pike better be improving the schedule for next year, whether it is through a holiday tournament or just finding some top teams to play us. Ace and Dylan won’t be happy seeing their friends and top competition for the draft at Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and UConn facing off against multiple top 15 teams while we don’t play anyone.

Don't forget about Trenton. Ace and Dylan can talk shit to their old AAU buddies who are stuck in Hawaii and Nassau while our guys are at the famous CURE arena.

Ok, you aren’t paying much attention to what Ace and Dylan have been doing up until now. They are constantly on the road, traveling all over the country and internationally to play with and against the best players in the world. These guys are already professionals, will be getting paid a lot of money to come here, and are going to want to play against the best teams. They are not coming to play Stonehill and Boston U. Pike better be improving the schedule for next year, whether it is through a holiday tournament or just finding some top teams to play us. Ace and Dylan won’t be happy seeing their friends and top competition for the draft at Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and UConn facing off against multiple top 15 teams while we don’t play anyone.
You don’t think Pike know this?

So you think Ace & Dylan are coming here to play a bunch of cupcakes and basically take a gap year before they go to the NBA? That would be interesting . . .
I said no such thing. I questioned why someone would think players worry much about what other players think about playing in a tourney over Thanksgiving. Athletes are usually focused on the bigger picture. Win throughout the season, and you are in March Madness. Also, athletes find playing in a big-time opposing arena more exciting and challenging than a game at a neutral site. These tourneys are made for fans.

I said no such thing. I questioned why someone would think players worry much about what other players think about playing in a tourney over Thanksgiving. Athletes are usually focused on the bigger picture. Win throughout the season, and you are in March Madness. Also, athletes find playing in a big-time opposing arena more exciting and challenging than a game at a neutral site. These tourneys are made for fans.
90% of the top 20 matchups in the OOC games are happening at neutral sites and Tournaments. And for Rutgers to attract big time programs to come play us, we need to be ready to go to MSG, because teams like Duke and Kentucky won’t see any value coming to the RAC. They want the fundraising and recruiting benefits of playing there and their fans will travel there. Duke is playing Baylor at MSG in December, it is just a non conference game, not a tournament, but both teams are happy to come and play there. Kentucky played there last year against UCLA.

Pike will not improve the schedule. He just believe in it.

Reactions: bac2therac
This thread is pretty funny.
if we have Ace, Dylan, and Gavin, we’re gonna boost our OOC schedule. No way we’re not going to play nationally televised games in OOC play

This thread is pretty funny.
if we have Ace, Dylan, and Gavin, we’re gonna boost our OOC schedule. No way we’re not going to play nationally televised games in OOC play
Schedules get filled up quickly, most of the tournaments are already set. We better get some better games locked down soon otherwise we will be out of luck.

Schedules get filled up quickly, most of the tournaments are already set. We better get some better games locked down soon otherwise we will be out of luck.
I’m sure the networks with find openings in their schedules to get two of the projected top five picks of the draft

I’m sure the networks with find openings in their schedules to get two of the projected top five picks of the draft
Here is the problem you don’t appreciate. Everyone is in contact with Kansas, Duke, Baylor, Kentucky, UNC, Marquette, and Gonzaga trying to get on their schedules, and they already have lots of existing commitments. If you want to get some top teams scheduled, you have to be working on it now, and you have to be ready to play anywhere.

Here is the problem you don’t appreciate. Everyone is in contact with Kansas, Duke, Baylor, Kentucky, UNC, Marquette, and Gonzaga trying to get on their schedules, and they already have lots of existing commitments. If you want to get some top teams scheduled, you have to be working on it now, and you have to be ready to play anywhere.
Those aren’t the only top teams in the country.
It’s not rocket science. We were gonna play Baylor the Covid year at the Garden until the season got shortened and we only had 4 OOC games. I’m confident we’re in contact with who we need to be in contact with. Ace committed nearly a year ago so we’ve probably been working the lines for awhile.
The last two times we’ve played at the Garden, we’ve had a great showing, I’m sure we could get a OOC game at the garden with ease if we wanted to.
But please, continue to talk to me like a child and explain to me how we won’t be able to beef up our schedule

Those aren’t the only top teams in the country.
It’s not rocket science. We were gonna play Baylor the Covid year at the Garden until the season got shortened and we only had 4 OOC games. I’m confident we’re in contact with who we need to be in contact with. Ace committed nearly a year ago so we’ve probably been working the lines for awhile.
The last two times we’ve played at the Garden, we’ve had a great showing, I’m sure we could get a OOC game at the garden with ease if we wanted to.
But please, continue to talk to me like a child and explain to me how we won’t be able to beef up our schedule
We have had a lot of games that we were “trying” to schedule that fell apart. I hope you are right but I am concerned based on our history, and we risk disappointing our top two incoming recruits if we don’t get the right. Look at the OOC schedules UConn, Kansas, Michigan State, Duke and other top programs play, and then compare it to us. It is night and day.

We have had a lot of games that we were “trying” to schedule that fell apart. I hope you are right but I am concerned based on our history, and we risk disappointing our top two incoming recruits if we don’t get the right. Look at the OOC schedules UConn, Kansas, Michigan State, Duke and other top programs play, and then compare it to us. It is night and day.
I’m very much aware of their schedules. Those teams have also won a lot more championships than us and can play pretty much anyone anytime anywhere. Meanwhile we just broke a 30 year tournament drought and no one, absolutely no one wants to play at the RAC. It’s hurt us a lot with scheduling. Fortunately, we have solid neutral site courts close to us. I think we’re on the same page here

90% of the top 20 matchups in the OOC games are happening at neutral sites and Tournaments. And for Rutgers to attract big time programs to come play us, we need to be ready to go to MSG, because teams like Duke and Kentucky won’t see any value coming to the RAC. They want the fundraising and recruiting benefits of playing there and their fans will travel there. Duke is playing Baylor at MSG in December, it is just a non conference game, not a tournament, but both teams are happy to come and play there. Kentucky played there last year against UCLA.
What did Greene Rice FIG say, no one remembers games in November. What you do in March goes down as a legendary event.

We were 16-7/8-4 and in 2nd place in the B1G walking out of MSG after the MSU game. We were looking more like a 5 seed than a bubble team. Our OOC impact paled in comparison to the 3-7 (3-8 if you count Hofstra) finish to the season.

It should be a goal to earn the highest seed possible if we are a tourney team. Playing a non conference schedule like we have will never allow that. We will be always in the last teams in seeds 10-12 unless we schedule better. Heck, we could’ve finished top 4 in big ten standings last year with no Mag Injury, and 20 wins, but likely still at best would have been a 7 seed due to our lack of non conf wins. Scheduling matters people. We learned it the hard way last year.

What did Greene Rice FIG say, no one remembers games in November. What you do in March goes down as a legendary event.
When you play Boston U and Bryant, no one remembers. When you play top 20 teams, people remember, and it also gets you ready for March. Michigan State is the only BIG team that consistently plays a national schedule, and honestly Izzo is generally a slow starter and doesn’t always do very well playing 4 or 5 top teams in OOC, but it is not surprising they are consistently the BIG’s best March team, because they are tested.

It should be a goal to earn the highest seed possible if we are a tourney team. Playing a non conference schedule like we have will never allow that. We will be always in the last teams in seeds 10-12 unless we schedule better. Heck, we could’ve finished top 4 in big ten standings last year with no Mag Injury, and 20 wins, but likely still at best would have been a 7 seed due to our lack of non conf wins. Scheduling matters people. We learned it the hard way last year.
4th place only had one more win than use last year in conference play and that was MSU. They played Gonzaga, Bama, Kentucky, Oregon, Nova, and Notre Dame in non conference play and STILL ended up with a 7 seed. So yeah, if you want a top 5 seed you need to be a top 15/20 team.

Reactions: ruinac
When you play Boston U and Bryant, no one remembers. When you play top 20 teams, people remember, and it also gets you ready for March. Michigan State is the only BIG team that consistently plays a national schedule, and honestly Izzo is generally a slow starter and doesn’t always do very well playing 4 or 5 top teams in OOC, but it is not surprising they are consistently the BIG’s best March team, because they are tested.
I don't recall you complaining about the schedule when Rutgers made the tournament the last few years. People b*tch now because they feel entitled. How quickly people forget Rutgers invested so little into the major sports for a long time. So when they show signs of life, we are immediately supposed to jump into the deep end of the pool because you and others know what's best for the team more than the people leading the program.

I would love to see games against better programs, but I do understand for once, Rutgers has the right people in place to build the program for the long haul. No more Littlepage. No more Fred Jr. No more coaches who refuse to teach players to rebound. When we get there soon, you'll appreciate our success more than ever.

I don't recall you complaining about the schedule when Rutgers made the tournament the last few years. People b*tch now because they feel entitled. How quickly people forget Rutgers invested so little into the major sports for a long time. So when they show signs of life, we are immediately supposed to jump into the deep end of the pool because you and others know what's best for the team more than the people leading the program.

I would love to see games against better programs, but I do understand for once, Rutgers has the right people in place to build the program for the long haul. No more Littlepage. No more Fred Jr. No more coaches who refuse to teach players to rebound. When we get there soon, you'll appreciate our success more than ever.
Of course I was happy we go back to the Tournament, but with top recruits coming in it’s time to take the next step. If we want to be taken seriously and be considered a top tier program, we can’t be afraid to play the best teams. People on the board denigrate UConn and Duke all the time, but look at who they play compared to us. They literally play 4 or 5 top 15 programs in the OOC, and we play no one.

My buddy and I were just talking about Rutgers playing at Atlantis. Would 100% go. Bummed it’s filled for 2024.

There has to be a feast week tourney for Ace and Dylan. Charleston, Alaska, Vegas?

Of course I was happy we go back to the Tournament, but with top recruits coming in it’s time to take the next step. If we want to be taken seriously and be considered a top tier program, we can’t be afraid to play the best teams. People on the board denigrate UConn and Duke all the time, but look at who they play compared to us. They literally play 4 or 5 top 15 programs in the OOC, and we play no one.
Have you played or coached on this level? It takes much more to succeed on this level than just showing up. Most fans don't get that or even come close to understanding what it takes. UConn, Duke, and Michigan have decades of support from the school, boosters, and fans. On the other hand, we want to take a shortcut and compete as if we had been there all along after a few successful seasons. Until enough finances are in place to make the 2024 class the norm, we will always be on the cusp. Don't forget to compare apples to apples and not oranges. We aren't Duke or Kentucky or even Gonzaga.

Reactions: TRU2RU and biazza38
Have you played or coached on this level? It takes much more to succeed on this level than just showing up. Most fans don't get that or even come close to understanding what it takes. UConn, Duke, and Michigan have decades of support from the school, boosters, and fans. On the other hand, we want to take a shortcut and compete as if we had been there all along after a few successful seasons. Until enough finances are in place to make the 2024 class the norm, we will always be on the cusp. Don't forget to compare apples to apples and not oranges. We aren't Duke or Kentucky or even Gonzaga.
We have 2 top players coming in (yes, I am including Dylan), who have spent the past couple of years playing against the best, and they will want to do it here too. Dylan’s Don Bosco team is now committed to playing a national schedule this year, which they have never done before, so Dylan can play against the best high school teams in the country (I wonder who is paying for this?). I am not worried about what happens after 2024, if we can’t sustain this recruiting we can always drop down and play a lesser schedule, those games are not hard to get on the calendar. I think maybe Jim Calhoun needs to give Pike a little kick in the ass to get it done, no excuses.

We have elite talent coming in next year. We have very good players now. Just about every B1G team and almost all of the top teams play in these tournaments. We consistently sit on the sidelines. It has nothing to do with building the program, etc. That’s already been done. Pike simply does not want to play them. It doesn’t matter why. In the end it’s a shame because it’s an opportunity to showcase the program, school, etc. It would also be fun for the players and the fans. But that’s not us I guess.

Beefing up the OOC schedule without a three game tournament would be ideal. I think more than half of them are not good and are played in half empty arenas. Pitt/Florida played in Brooklyn last night in the preseason NIT (whatever it’s called) in front of what looked like about 2 thousand people. That’s terrible. Who wants that? Get a game at the garden and play some games on the road. Apparently no one wants to play at the RAC. That’s been a hurdle for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT