ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big thanks to Tavern on George for a Great Party

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
A few weeks ago, I hosted a combo birthday/vaccination party for about 20 people at Tavern on George in NB (the old Tumulty's). As this was the first post-vaccination outing for a number of our friends, folks were understandably a bit nervous, so the owner, who posts here occasionally (@InGregITrust) reserved a large section of the restaurant, inside, just for us - and even let me play music for the event from my laptop, since there were only a few other folks inside (most were outside in the blocked off/tented area they've been sharing with several other restaurants on George St.).

We had a blast and the food was great - they have excellent sandwiches, burgers, apps, etc. (including the awesome huge pretzel). It was also funny to see what happened for dessert. I asked everyone if they wanted any of the amazing specialty, home-cooked donuts they have on the menu and almost everyone declined, saying they were full. So I ignored them (I was paying, so maybe they didn't want to put me out more) and ordered about 20 donuts of all varieties (they have glazed, cinnamon, oreo, apple tart, bacon/syrup and all kinds of other donuts) - not a donut remained uneaten!

We went there 2 years ago for the same event and had the downstairs room (where they have jazz on some nights) to ourselves and that was very nice, too. So if you're having an outing or just dinner, give them a shot. I know some will protest not having the old favorites from Tumulty's (I miss a few of those items too), but I think you'll enjoy it.

https://www.tavernongeorge.com/

I've kind of overlooked this place because I usually stick with bars that have a good craft beer selection, but after reading your post I'm definitely interested in going there on a Thursday night sometime for some jazz and donuts.

Nothing said Tumulty’s like ordering the side salad and getting the whole head with a massive basin of ranch
Tumulty's was the first establishment I ever saw heads of lettuce as a dish. Now it seems everyone serves it.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Half a head of lettuce, french dressing and a pub dip sandwhich was my meal just about every Saturday for 3 years. My girlfriend (now my wife) got a job at Baracinni Card and gift shop up the street. She was paid in cash on Saturday and we would stop there before heading back to the dorms or apartments.

Tumulty's was the first establishment I ever saw heads of lettuce as a dish. Now it seems everyone serves it.

when I lived in Manhattan there was a restaurant, Farnies Steak Parlor, on 18th & 2nd right up from where I lived. They served a half head of lettuce in one of those fake wooden bowls that were really plastic. A hunk of tomato. A hunk of cucumber. dressing of your choice. Good times.

Reactions: RW90
when I lived in Manhattan there was a restaurant, Farnies Steak Parlor, on 18th & 2nd right up from where I lived. They served a half head of lettuce in one of those fake wooden bowls that were really plastic. A hunk of tomato. A hunk of cucumber. dressing of your choice. Good times.
And if it caught on fire I would have put it out. First due there.

Did they keep the train that used to run around the top of Tumultys? Can’t remember where I saw it, but some restaurant in a college town plays the school fight song every hour on the hour. All the staff sings along and the customers join in. Very cool !

Mrs Screw, if you come up to aMajor anniversary number 25,30,35 and talk Mr Screw into a second wedding, you will have to get him to do a Rutgers version of this—

Thanks guys.
We have live music 5 nights a week, with jazz being on Thursdays and Sundays. This Thursday is Nat Adderly Jr and will be magical.
oh, and we have plenty of craft beer!
Thinking of having a party similar to numbers . Who do I ask for at the restaurant to inquire ? Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT