ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
He's been around for a long time, and writes still writing some amazing words. I still listen to him a lot. Not a great voice, as many of his songs have been covered by others (The Byrds , Jimi Hendrix) and sound better, and his concerts very up and down, but man, his studio albums are a treat to listen to. Blonde on Blonde probably my favorite.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/awards/bob-dylan-wins-nobel-prize-literature-n665591

Good story from when his tour hit the Jersey shore :

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/bob_dylan_stopped_by_long_bran.html

I'm guessing there wasn't a spoken word section on his application. ;)

Big fan of his work in the 60s. His work during this time contained some of the greatest tunes ever written. My favorite is probably Desolation Row.
I haven't been able to tolerate his voice for a number of decades.

A friggin genius. I tried to come up with a list of my favorite Dylan tunes. I know I've forgotten some, but here goes....in no particular order:

Gates of Eden
Stuck Inside of Mobile
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
Like A Rolling Stone
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Love Minus Zero/No Limit
A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
Desolation Row
Positively 4th Street
All Along the Watchtower
Masters Of War
With God on Our Side
I Want You
The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll

Last edited:
Reactions: billhilf
He's been around for a long time, and writes still writing some amazing words. I still listen to him a lot. Not a great voice, as many of his songs have been covered by others (The Byrds , Jimi Hendrix) and sound better, and his concerts very up and down, but man, his studio albums are a treat to listen to. Blonde on Blonde probably my favorite.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/awards/bob-dylan-wins-nobel-prize-literature-n665591

Good story from when his tour hit the Jersey shore :

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/bob_dylan_stopped_by_long_bran.html

Sub Terreanean Homesick Blues (the start of Modern Videos?) / Highway 61, Love Minus Zero: three of my favorites- and All Along The Watchtower (Hendrix) when first released was more than ELECTRIC....it was god like

"You can do what you want but the next time you see me coming you'd better run".

Abe said "where you want this killing done"?

G'd said "Out on Highway 61".

MO
"there are many here among us, who feel that life is but a joke"

Reactions: billhilf
Sub Terreanean Homesick Blues (the start of Modern Videos?) / Highway 61, Love Minus Zero: three of my favorites- and All Along The Watchtower (Hendrix) when first released was more than ELECTRIC....it was god like

"You can do what you want but the next time you see me coming you'd better run".

Abe said "where you want this killing done"?

G'd said "Out on Highway 61".

MO
"there are many here among us, who feel that life is but a joke"

I like most of Dylan's work, but I am amazed that his "poetic expressions" qualify him for the most prestigious literature prize of all.

Reactions: MrsScrew
My favorite Dylan songs are Gates of Eden and It's All Right, Ma. But a Nobel prize??? OTOH, Toni Morrison won it, so maybe it's OK if Dylan wins the prize too.

RU grad Junot Diaz. Won the Pulitzer or Nobel Prize for The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

A large part of the setting is on campus at RU New Brunswick.

Ah, but Bob was so much older then, he's younger than that now.

A great day for Bobby D!

Its FBall season. Take this to the CE board. Is it sooooo hard to follow the edict? Right, I am in the wrong.

No, I will click on the tread gumming up the system.

The news is important enough that it deserves to be heard by all, not just by the limited group of people who contribute to and read the Current Events board.

The news is important enough that it deserves to be heard by all, not just by the limited group of people who contribute to and read the Current Events board.
Go use REDDIT.

I wouldn't go on a English Lit blog posting about Rutgers football.

My favorite Dylan songs are Gates of Eden and It's All Right, Ma. But a Nobel prize??? OTOH, Toni Morrison won it, so maybe it's OK if Dylan wins the prize too.

FWIW, I do recall that a few of his songs appeared as poems in the Norton Anthology of Poetry that was required reading for us as freshman at RU back in the '80's. IIRC, Mr. Tambourine Man was one of those "poems" in the anthology.

I have so many favorites, including the songs you mention. Simple Twist of Fate is also high on my list.

"One More Cup of Coffee" and "Senor" (Tales of Yankee Power"), 2 that I have been listening to a lot lately.

when you consider some of the other winners...this was LONG overdue.

MO
You don't need a weather vain to know which way the wind blows.

sorry but the lines are:

"You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"

The 1960's radical left wing group took their name from this line.

Blood on the Tracks is probably my favorite Dylan album, every song a classic and "Idiot Wind" and "Shelter from the Storm" being as good as anything he wrote.

sorry but the lines are:

How could someone NOT know that ?

Add "chimes of freedom" as well. The way Dylan is able to intertwine a story of young lovers? who hide out during a storm with the ideals of what really makes America great (or at least potentially great) beyond the blind patriotic statements and flags is simply genius.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I was a few years too young to truly get the gist of his musical poetry but I loved the tunes. If I had to claim a top 5 of all time favorite songs in general Lay Lady Lay is right there. For a Jewish guy from Minnesota to absolutely capture the purest sound and feeling of country music still amazes me.I saw him in college in Florida with Rolling Thunder and he kicked ass.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Agree with Poster above about Blood on the Tracks his last great album. Many great songs are sprinkled in his subsequent albums.

Love Minus Zero was our wedding song. The band did a great instrumental danceable version. That was 45 years ago.

sorry but the lines are:

Blood on the Tracks is probably my favorite Dylan album, every song a classic and "Idiot Wind" and "Shelter from the Storm" being as good as anything he wrote.

Hey Lou

I coulda woulda shoulda looked it up.. but not bad for just memory.

MO
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/entertainment/dylan-songs-history-trnd/index.html

Dylan (Robert Zimmerman) is of Lithuanian heritage !:smiley:

Always loved Positively 4th St and this verse :

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You’d know what a drag it is
To see you

Reactions: RUPete
Music is like oxygen for me. I always have to have some good music pumping through me. From classical though rock and the current hash.
But when it comes to song writing poetry, Dylan is only one of many. It would have helped if he could actually sing.
If you give equal weight to songwriting and singing, I don't think Dylan surpasses Lennon/McCartney.

I have seen some great song mentions in this thread, but did I miss Tangled up in Blue?

Dylan (Robert Zimmerman) is of Lithuanian heritage !:smiley:

Always loved Positively 4th St and this verse :

I wish that for just one time
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You’d know what a drag it is
To see you

Sickest burn in music history?

ADVERTISEMENT