ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in Literature

Music is like oxygen for me. I always have to have some good music pumping through me. From classical though rock and the current hash.
But when it comes to song writing poetry, Dylan is only one of many. It would have helped if he could actually sing.
If you give equal weight to songwriting and singing, I don't think Dylan surpasses Lennon/McCartney.

I actually disagree with the notion that Dylan "can't sing" (ok in the last few years yes he really can't sing haha). However in his hay day of the 60s and 70s I actually think his voice was brilliant. Did it sound like a classically trained singer? No. But if it had, it would have taken away a part of what makes him so special. His voice, much like woody Guthrie before him, truly embodied what it meant to be a folk singer- a voice of the people who wanders from town to town with nothing but a guitar and harmonica to speak the truth.

Aside from a few notable exceptions (Hendrix,the Byrds, the Band), I always feel Dylan covers don't do justice to the original. I just don't BELIEVE the singer in the same way I BELIEVE Dylan. Other voices may be "better", but other than Lennon McCartney and maybe Bruce, there are few voices I enjoy more than Dylan's. And in terms of songwriting he's miles ahead of all the others, including Lennon and McCartney, who themselves are miles ahead of everyone else.

I think you are referring to BARACK Obama...the current President of the United States.
And BTW nobody gives two chits if you pay attention or not.

I think you mean Barack Hussein "Barry" Soetro Obama and nobody cares if you think nobody cares about his paying attention to Nobel Prize winners.

But really.. what the hell did President Obama do to deserve that award?

Anyone?

I think you mean Barack Hussein "Barry" Soetro Obama and nobody cares if you think nobody cares about his paying attention to Nobel Prize winners.

Anyone?

Was it someone on this board or did I read it somewhere else online that President Obama won it for "not being Bush". Obviously a joke, but pretty much why he got it. Definitely not a deserved award, and I actually think President Obama has done a decent job (not saying this to start an ugly debate), but I wouldn't associate his administration with "peace."

Anyone?

Obama provided the opportunity for ISIS to gain control of the region when he pulled our troops out of Iraq when there was a clear and present danger that the vacuum created by our withdrawal would lead to the present day ISIS situation in the area.

He received the award because he brought US troops home from Iraq. Nice feather in his cap, in his opinion, as a US president but look what was created by those actions.

Obama provided the opportunity for ISIS to gain control of the region when he pulled our troops out of Iraq when there was a clear and present danger that the vacuum created by our withdrawal would lead to the present day ISIS situation in the area.

He received the award because he brought US troops home from Iraq. Nice feather in his cap, in his opinion, as a US president but look what was created by those actions.

How ironic, Bob Dylan wrote a song "Isis' about 40 years ago.

Isis
Song by Bob Dylan
Lyrics: I married Isis on the fifth day of May / But I could not hold on to her very long / So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away / For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong… Full lyrics on Google Play Music
Artist: Bob Dylan
Album: Desire
Released: 1976
Genre: Classic rock

Anyone who wants to talk politics should take it to the Current Events board; this has nothing to do with Dylan.

Reactions: Abro1975
"The copyright infringement case of James Damiano vs. Bob Dylan eclipses the conflict between Pharrell Williams, Robin Thicke and the Marvin Gaye Estate, which was settled relatively quickly. Bob Dylan’s alleged stealing of James Damiano’s songs and the law suit may be the most controversial story in the history of Rock ’n Roll. The Damiano camp says it’s been hidden from the public by the mainstream press for over 20 years.

Point of interest: Damiano, from Budd Lake, NJ,"

http://www.newjerseystage.com/articles/getarticle.php?ID=5111

Wait, didn't the U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq result from an agreement between the Bush administration and the government of Iraq ? And didn't THEY want us to get out ?

And I don't care if you think nobody cares if I think nobody cares about his paying attention to Nobel Prize winners.

"The copyright infringement case of James Damiano vs. Bob Dylan eclipses the conflict between Pharrell Williams, Robin Thicke and the Marvin Gaye Estate, which was settled relatively quickly. Bob Dylan’s alleged stealing of James Damiano’s songs and the law suit may be the most controversial story in the history of Rock ’n Roll. The Damiano camp says it’s been hidden from the public by the mainstream press for over 20 years.

Point of interest: Damiano, from Budd Lake, NJ,"

http://www.newjerseystage.com/articles/getarticle.php?ID=5111

Please. Even if this is true, which I don't believe it is, and this guy claims Dylan's 1989 and 1991 albums were stolen, then Dylan made a mistake stealing these songs not because of copyright infringement, but because these albums are some of Dylan's worst. It's not like Damian wrote like a rolling stone. He "wrote" two throwaway songs from throwaway albums (again if this is true which I doubt).

Also, so after 25 years of prolific song writing, Dylan steals music from some unknown guy? The pieces do not add up.

Reactions: Kbee3
Did anyone see Dylan on Rutgers campus, solo, College Ave gym/theatre? @1965? He sang "John Birch Society Blues". Never saw the song on record. I think I became a hippy that night. Woke up some years later...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT