ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Drinking from your kitchen faucet

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Is it neccessary or important to allow the water to run for a certain time period before you fill your glass and drink tap water?

If you live in an old house where the plumbing is not up to code or deteriorating, residue from the pipes can leach into the water that has been sitting in the pipes. Running the tap flushes the pipes, so you drink water that hasn't been sitting in the pipes and hasn't had time to pick up residue.

Also, running the tap can provide cooler water.

Otherwise, no, it is not necessary to run the tap.

Is it neccessary or important to allow the water to run for a certain time period before you fill your glass and drink tap water?

Shouldn't make any difference. Old pipes will have minerals but I don't think that effects water quality to any significant degree...There is a commonly held belief that tap water is not good quality resulting in the rise of bottled water and tap water purification systems...

Using a water filter in your kitchen is a positive thing for you.Gets out chemicals,Chlorine etc ,and makes the water taste a heck of a lot better.Healthier too.

The only place I didn't drink the tap water unless I was crazy hung over was NB. The water there was not clear. It was really gross.

The only place I didn't drink the tap water unless I was crazy hung over was NB. The water there was not clear. It was really gross.

Been drinking tap water in Hudson County for years. No issues.

Freshmen year when I moved into the dorms at RU, i was disgusted at the taste of NB tap water. It had a weird "bloody" smell and taste to it. I wonder if there's too much iron in there. Only drank bottled water on campus from then on.

Back to tap water after I graduated.

Been drinking tap water in Hudson County for years. No issues.

Freshmen year when I moved into the dorms at RU, i was disgusted at the taste of NB tap water. It had a weird "bloody" smell and taste to it. I wonder if there's too much iron in there. Only drank bottled water on campus from then on.

Back to tap water after I graduated.
The way I hear it, the areas that have breweries and paint factories usually have the best tap water. There is a need for better water quality needed for those particular products.

FYI... NYC tap water is pretty darn good. The worst tap water I've ever tasted is in Woodbridge. We annually hold our fantasy baseball and football league drafts at a hotel there. Year in and year out, the tap water is terrible. It's a running joke in our league. The conference room provides pitchers full of the stuff, but we never drink it. We always make sure to bring a cooler full of bottled water.

Last edited:
Run the water for about thirty seconds if you think you might have lead in your plumbing (possible only with an old house.)

Living in a community with a brewery or paint factory will not do you any good. Those facilities filter the water that comes into the plant regardless of the water's quality.

Get pragmatic. Think how much better your coffee is going to taste if you use filtered(not distilled) water to make it.

Get pragmatic. Think how much better your coffee is going to taste if you use filtered(not distilled) water to make it.

Tap water is fine. Big Water (ex: deer park) wants u to think differently for obvious reasons but they're full of sh-t. I drink crystal light with tap water and ice all the time.

Camden law is right. Houses built before 1978 may have lead pipes or solder. The lead leaches into the water that sits in the pipe. It's good to let it run for a short time.

Well, I guess the certain time period all depends on the size of the glass you want to fill. Shorter time for smaller glass. Longer time for larger glass.

Glad I could help. :smiley:

Reactions: silent willie
We have our own well on our farm. I wonder should I let my tap run longer or shorter than city water.:)

Water authorities are required to publish their testing results. One of the best things you can do to see about water quality is to check your water companies test results. Then you can see what issues there are with your tap water.

You can also see if a home filter system will fix those issues. When I looked into it, I found that the home filtration system wouldn't fix any of the issues with my tap water. It really just seems like a big scam to me. They show you blown up pictures of harmless microorganisms to scare you. The only thing a filter typically helps with is water hardness, which is not a health issue.

I assume that's New Brunswick NJ NIRH?…Jeez, I wonder why.

I have a friend who lived in Pway and HP and they didn't have cloudy water. I don't have it in JC. I think the city just doesn't care or does a bad job, which is unfortunately unsurprising.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT