ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy 75th Birthday to Rutgers Radio - WRSU

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
The first daily, continuous broadcast of Rutgers own radio station was 75 years ago today. WRSU started as, 630 then 680, AM closed carrier (only receivers in the dorms could hear it) station. Students started doing football games in 1954 (WRSU was allowed to carry WCTC's football signal before that). WRSU became over-the-air 88.7 FM on January 27, 1974 and "Knightline" started with the undefeated men's BB team of 1975-76 and continued with football on September 2, 1977.

On June 10, 2023, WRSU celebrates its inaugural WRSU Hall of Fame class as provided by WRSU Broadcast Administrator Mike Pavlichko.

Happy Birthday to my old radio station!

WRSU Individuals:
  • Matt Pinfield – a unanimous selection, and a world-renowned rock-radio DJ, MTV host and music executive who got his start at WRSU. Matt currently hosts “New And Approved” Sunday evenings on KLOS 95.5 FM in Los Angeles and hosts the hard rock music show “Power Hour” on AXS TV.
  • Mark Chernoff (’74) – legendary New York radio executive, most well-known for his time as Program Director at SportsRadio 66 WFAN during its heyday, from 1993 to 2021.
  • Steve Vericker (’81) – Steve was one of the early hosts of “Knightline” – our football and men’s basketball postgame call-in show – and helped establish the show in a day when "talk radio” was still in its infancy. He’s held numerous PR and radio jobs, covering major league sports in the LA area for ESPN, ABC and CBS Radio and most recently advised KCOD at the College of the Desert in the Coachella Valley.
  • Herb Sudzin – Herb, of course, is the host of “Sudzin Country” on WRSU for 45 years and counting! Back in the day, he hosted both Saturday and Sunday mornings from 6-10 am. He currently hosts the Saturday edition in the same time slot, while a rotating group of hosts hold down the Sunday show from 6-9 am. Herb has logged more hours on the air than any other DJ in history – we estimate he’s close to 13,000!
  • Roger Cohen (’65) – Roger sadly passed away in the summer of 2022, but for many Journalism students from the 70s through his retirement in the early 2000s was a beloved teacher and mentor at what now is known as SC&I. He hosted several Rutgers-related TV and radio shows, and was Journalism & Mass Media Chair at SC&I. I remember him fondly; he sure is missed!
  • Harvey Hauptman (’51) – Harvey is one of the most decorated WRSU alums in the news industry. After working at WCTC 1450 AM in New Brunswick following graduation (and doing Rutgers football games with Tony Marano throughout the 1950s) , he was one of the original staffers at WCBS NewsRadio 880 in New York, and was an on-air anchor there for 30-years. He was also the longtime PA voice of Rutgers Football. Harvey also will be inducted posthumously; he passed away in 2017.
WRSU groups inductees:
  • WRSU Founding Members – While many contributed to the birth of WRSU, starting around 1946, hitting the airwaves in 1948, no two were more responsible for the station’s founding than Charles Brookwell and Matthew Zuck. Brookwell was the station’s first General Manager and was responsible for leading the entire effort, from getting funding and securing our first studios in the attic of 12 College Avenue, while Zuck was the Technical Director who got us on the air April 26, 1948.

• The FM Transition Team – Making WRSU a full-powered FM station was a years-long effort that began in 1969 with a survey of students that found they would rather listen to FM radio. (At the time, WRSU was considering a commercial AM license.) Having moved into the then-Rutgers Student Center on College Avenue in 1969 made this all possible. Bob Thomas helped produce the survey. Station Manager Charlie Rapp was highly involved, and Richard Harvey was the technical guru behind it all, assisted byMark Harris and Eric Strassler. Advisors Roger Cohen, Nat Shoehalter and Arnie Zucker are also recognized as key parts of the process.

Last edited:
The first daily, continuous broadcast of Rutgers own radio station was 75 years ago today. WRSU started as, 630 then 680, AM closed carrier (only receivers in the dorms could hear it) station. Students started doing football games in 1954 (WRSU was allowed to carry WCTC's football signal before that). WRSU became over-the-air 88.7 FM on January 27, 1974 and "Knightline" started with the undefeated men's BB team of 1975-76 and continued with football on September 2, 1977.

On June 10, 2023, WRSU celebrates its inaugural WRSU Hall of Fame class as provided by WRSU Broadcast Administrator Mike Pavlichko.

Happy Birthday to my old radio station!

WRSU Individuals:
  • Matt Pinfield – a unanimous selection, and a world-renowned rock-radio DJ, MTV host and music executive who got his start at WRSU. Matt currently hosts “New And Approved” Sunday evenings on KLOS 95.5 FM in Los Angeles and hosts the hard rock music show “Power Hour” on AXS TV.
  • Mark Chernoff (’74) – legendary New York radio executive, most well-known for his time as Program Director at SportsRadio 66 WFAN during its heyday, from 1993 to 2021.
  • Steve Vericker (’81) – Steve was one of the early hosts of “Knightline” – our football and men’s basketball postgame call-in show – and helped establish the show in a day when "talk radio” was still in its infancy. He’s held numerous PR and radio jobs, covering major league sports in the LA area for ESPN, ABC and CBS Radio and most recently advised KCOD at the College of the Desert in the Coachella Valley.
  • Herb Sudzin – Herb, of course, is the host of “Sudzin Country” on WRSU for 45 years and counting! Back in the day, he hosted both Saturday and Sunday mornings from 6-10 am. He currently hosts the Saturday edition in the same time slot, while a rotating group of hosts hold down the Sunday show from 6-9 am. Herb has logged more hours on the air than any other DJ in history – we estimate he’s close to 13,000!
  • Roger Cohen (’65) – Roger sadly passed away in the summer of 2022, but for many Journalism students from the 70s through his retirement in the early 2000s was a beloved teacher and mentor at what now is known as SC&I. He hosted several Rutgers-related TV and radio shows, and was Journalism & Mass Media Chair at SC&I. I remember him fondly; he sure is missed!
  • Harvey Hauptman (’51) – Harvey is one of the most decorated WRSU alums in the news industry. After working at WCTC 1450 AM in New Brunswick following graduation (and doing Rutgers football games with Tony Marano throughout the 1950s) , he was one of the original staffers at WCBS NewsRadio 880 in New York, and was an on-air anchor there for 30-years. He was also the longtime PA voice of Rutgers Football. Harvey also will be inducted posthumously; he passed away in 2017.
WRSU groups inductees:
  • WRSU Founding Members – While many contributed to the birth of WRSU, starting around 1946, hitting the airwaves in 1948, no two were more responsible for the station’s founding than Charles Brookwell and Matthew Zuck. Brookwell was the station’s first General Manager and was responsible for leading the entire effort, from getting funding and securing our first studios in the attic of 12 College Avenue, while Zuck was the Technical Director who got us on the air April 26, 1948.

• The FM Transition Team – Making WRSU a full-powered FM station was a years-long effort that began in 1969 with a survey of students that found they would rather listen to FM radio. (At the time, WRSU was considering a commercial AM license.) Having moved into the then-Rutgers Student Center on College Avenue in 1969 made this all possible. Bob Thomas helped produce the survey. Station Manager Charlie Rapp was highly involved, and Richard Harvey was the technical guru behind it all, assisted byMark Harris and Eric Strassler. Advisors Roger Cohen, Nat Shoehalter and Arnie Zucker are also recognized as key parts of the process.

Thread 'April 26, 1948'
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/april-26-1948.240038/

Some fun times on the station. Got to broadcast games from the Garden, the Palestra, the Igloo and more.
Remember hosting Knightline once, where the engineer screwed it up so bad, we couldn't get any phone calls. Of course, we had no idea, just thought people weren't calling in.

Reactions: RU848789
Is Matt Pinfield the most famous alum if WRSU?
I can only speculate if you can provide your definition of "most famous."

WRSU has produced CNN reporter (Cheryl Washington); entertainment award winner (Sheryl Ralph); NBC Today Show/others consumer correspondent (Janice Lieberman); WCBS Newsradio 88 morning newscaster Jeff Caplan; MTV Producer of "Behind the Music" and others (Gay Rosenthal); Broadway Producer (Doug Meyer) in addition to prominent people in other fields.

I can only speculate if you can provide your definition of "most famous."

WRSU has produced CNN reporter (Cheryl Washington); entertainment award winner (Sheryl Ralph); NBC Today Show/others consumer correspondent (Janice Lieberman); WCBS Newsradio 88 morning newscaster Jeff Caplan; MTV Producer of "Behind the Music" and others (Gay Rosenthal); Broadway Producer (Doug Meyer) in addition to prominent people in other fields.
That's an impressive list. Targum has some successful alums too.

Is Matt Pinfield the most famous alum of WRSU?
Well, he's certainly up there, although the list Source provided is pretty impressive, too. I was chatting with Matt recently and he's absolutely psyched about the honor and is planning to come back from LA for the WRSU dinner honoring the inductees.

Back in the 80s I used to call him up on the radio regularly to make requests and he almost always played them and I got to visit him up on the 4th floor of the College Ave Student Center, where WRSU is located, a few times, which was cool. Who knew he would go from DJ-ing at WRSU and the Melody (and Todd's and Charlie's Uncle) to fame and fortune at MTV and beyond?

340769194_934898757655294_3514334017562786126_n.jpg

Well, he's certainly up there, although the list Source provided is pretty impressive, too. I was chatting with Matt recently and he's absolutely psyched about the honor and is planning to come back from LA for the WRSU dinner honoring the inductees.

Back in the 80s I used to call him up on the radio regularly to make requests and he almost always played them and I got to visit him up on the 4th floor of the College Ave Student Center, where WRSU is located, a few times, which was cool. Who knew he would go from DJ-ing at WRSU and the Melody (and Todd's and Charlie's Uncle) to fame and fortune at MTV and beyond?

340769194_934898757655294_3514334017562786126_n.jpg
Did you know Ethan, who owned Music in a Different Kitchen and was a drummer in several local bands, including Leather Studded Diaphragm? He was friends with Matt, and Ethan was supposed to introduce me to Matt when he worked at MTV.

Did you know Ethan, who owned Music in a Different Kitchen and was a drummer in several local bands, including Leather Studded Diaphragm? He was friends with Matt, and Ethan was supposed to introduce me to Matt when he worked at MTV.
I probably knew Ethan better than Matt back then. Hung out some at the various NB bars and at Music in a Different Kitchen, plus he sometimes threw cool parties at his parents house in P'way.

I probably knew Ethan better than Matt back then. Hung out some at the various NB bars and at Music in a Different Kitchen, plus he sometimes threw cool parties at his parents house in P'way.
Yeah, we may have covered this. I hung out in his shop on many Friday nights, and he invited us to a party at his house on the upcoming weekend where we would meet Matt. I was going to try to make a switch from patents to get a job at MTV. Unfortunately, he passed away before that. Having met someone who worked in corporate at Viacom for a lot of years, I don't think I would have liked working at MTV/Viacom. Not a corporate type person, and MTV/Viacom, while looking cool on TV is still a corporation.

Reactions: RU848789
Yeah, we may have covered this. I hung out in his shop on many Friday nights, and he invited us to a party at his house on the upcoming weekend where we would meet Matt. I was going to try to make a switch from patents to get a job at MTV. Unfortunately, he passed away before that. Having met someone who worked in corporate at Viacom for a lot of years, I don't think I would have liked working at MTV/Viacom. Not a corporate type person, and MTV/Viacom, while looking cool on TV is still a corporation.
MTV was 100% "corporate" coming from 2 people I know very well who worked there throughout much of the 90s (one being Matt), so I think you made the right choice. The entertainment "business" is incredibly cutthroat - and if you would've been on the legal side, it might've really sucked.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If you're bored, tune into WRSU, 88.7 FM (or the Mix Cloud site if you can get it - link below not working - Ed's FB page has a working link and the set list) right now (and until 1 pm) for Matt on Ed Wong's regular Saturday show. Matt is playing some amazing music from back in the day from his 45 collection, with a heavy focus on music he played on WRSU in the 80s, when he DJ-ed there (so the music is from the 70s and 80s for the most part) and he and Ed are sharing some great stories about those days and some of Matt's encounters with slightly famous folks like the Stones, Dave Grohl, Bowie, the Cure, etc., many of whom he has become good friends with.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....u8xcPvYwAJgfg95xJAJpofUgjl&id=100040741252034

Here's what he played in the 10 am hour...

10am
Kinks - Im In Disgrace
Only Ones - Another Planet Another Girl
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Do Anything You Wanna Do
BREAK
Bongos - Bullrushes
T Rex - Children of the Revolution
Clash - Tommy Gun
BREAK
NullSet - Ask You Later
ODW - Lawn chairs
Siouxsie - Christine
Rolling Stones - Dandelion
BREAK
Buzzcocks - Everybody Happy Now A Days
Ramones - Dont Come Close
Wonderstuff - A Wish Away

Last edited:
Reactions: rutger80
Just got back from attending the 75th Anniversary of WRSU and the inaugural Hall of Fame induction. It was well done and also broadcast live on WRSU-FM (88.7).

I only knew Matt Pinfield from a board in the newsroom with people's names on it that showed who was scheduled to be on the radio board at a certain hour. If faint memory serves, his name appeared on overnights. Before the evening ended, I had the chance to have a brief conversation with him. Very nice man. He was speaking to the current crop of WRSUers.

I paused to ask if he was in the same room the ceremonies had taken place in back in 1977 (Multi-purpose room of the Rutgers Student Center). Pinfield started at Rutgers the following year. The reason I asked was that in November of 1977 in the very room where the inaugural WRSU Hall of Fame was honored, for only 50 cents, you could have seen the Talking Heads. Matt said he'll google it to watch.

For the rest of you, here it is:

For photos and such:

Last edited:
WRSU Alum 1972-1976. Was a blast going live on FM, doing FB and BB games from all over the place, including the Garden; did the Final Four semis day from the Spectrum. Got to interview John Wooden and Left Driesell. Fun times!

I recall some sort of drive to buy a new transmitter in the mid 80s.. had a crap tee shirt from that once upon a time.. is that thing still working?

also Neil Solondz who did WCTC sports talk and post game call in show went on to be the play by play for Tampa Bay Devil Rays

I used to hang out with Matt at The Melody for a couple of years. I was friends with some folks who partied with him. I'd see him at parties, the Mel, the House of Love (LOL). It was pretty weird seeing him on MTV after knowing him around NB and WPHT (was that the alternative station down the shore back then?)

I used to hang out with Matt at The Melody for a couple of years. I was friends with some folks who partied with him. I'd see him at parties, the Mel, the House of Love (LOL). It was pretty weird seeing him on MTV after knowing him around NB and WPHT (was that the alternative station down the shore back then?)
106.3 WHTG... R.I.P. (am I remembering that correctly? WHTG?)

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes, Your Rock Alternative at the Jersey Shore, FM106.3, WHTG, the best commercial radio station in history...
Wasn't that Modern Rock at the Jersey Shore, or was that the later iteration? Never made it to the Green Parrot, as it closed before I was able to go. Loretta, Chopper, Scooter were all good DJs.

Yep. That's it.
Holy chit! A documentary on WHTG.

Wasn't that Modern Rock at the Jersey Shore, or was that the later iteration? Never made it to the Green Parrot, as it closed before I was able to go. Loretta, Chopper, Scooter were all good DJs.
Yes, that was a later iteration, as per the excerpt from the Wiki page...

In the 1980s, the station referred to itself as, Your Rock Alternative, FM 106.3. For a brief period in the early nineties, the station used a slogan of "Real Rock Radio, FM 106.3." In the nineties, its signature copy became, FM 106.3, Modern Rock at the Jersey Shore.

https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/2075512

There's also a great article on WHTG and the Green Parrot, linked below, as well as a documentary which came out a year ago, also linked below. There's also a WHTG FB page that's pretty active.

https://www.newjerseystage.com/archives/getarticle.php?titlelink=whtg-1063-and-the-green-parrot

Rich DeMarco not being included in the inaugural HOF class is a snub I'm not sure I'm willing to tolerate.

Saturday, when the boys in the warzone are tuning in to hear Army vs. Air Force who's the guy that's going to paint the picture?

Yes, that was a later iteration, as per the excerpt from the Wiki page...

In the 1980s, the station referred to itself as, Your Rock Alternative, FM 106.3. For a brief period in the early nineties, the station used a slogan of "Real Rock Radio, FM 106.3." In the nineties, its signature copy became, FM 106.3, Modern Rock at the Jersey Shore.

https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/2075512

There's also a great article on WHTG and the Green Parrot, linked below, as well as a documentary which came out a year ago, also linked below. There's also a WHTG FB page that's pretty active.

https://www.newjerseystage.com/archives/getarticle.php?titlelink=whtg-1063-and-the-green-parrot

Did you know there is a YouTube documentary on WHTG? 😜

I remember the Real Rock Radio. IIRC, we had moved to Randolph, NJ, and we lived on a tall hill, and we could get the WHTG signal, believe it or not. I hated that period.

Holy chit! A documentary on WHTG.

The bumper-sticker... everywhere. Thought of it earlier but didn't mention til seeing it in that little documentary.

Anyone remember when Sam played at The Blue Parrot? I doubt Signor Ferrari stuck to the deal to give Sam 25% after Rick sold out. (this just means I confused The Green Parrot with The Blue Parrot from Casablanca.. thought the name might have been an homage to the film).

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT