ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Internet: Good and Bad

Zuckerberg and Dorsey admitted they were censoring because of gov. agency requests.
Its been pretty clear that there has been a strategy to sandbox/eradicate the 1A for political goals and not the "saving Democracy" excuse.

Many new sites have expanded exponentially due to how many people were removed from Face/Twit/Insta/Tube
BlackRock (CCP USA HQ) got Tucker fired since they owned 2nd most Fox stock after Murdoch.
Tucker went to Twitter and had over 80 million views the first 24 hours - more than all of Fox combined..
The whole media is merely clumsy psyops.
Now that censorship has been failing they will send IRS/FBI to your home.
AI is intended to be the next hammer

9Tfse1q.jpg

Damn shame the usual suspects got the haze thread locked down. Some good discussion in there for the most part. I wish they'd just moderate threads like that - thread-banning 3-5 people (and deleting ridiculous posts) would likely keep threads like that from going off the rails.

An echo chamber in a bar is maybe 4-5 and up to 10. Online is a whole different story. I was seriously looking at online social media around the time of the Boston Marathon Bombing. The level of disinformation, not even connected with politics and trolls, was so over the top I said no thanks.
Unfortunately, the internet gets out information so quickly that there is often little time to verify--and so many people immediately believe the first things they hear. As many times as we've learned the first reports from a scene, like a mass shooting, are wrong, so many people still believe them. They haven't learned to be skeptical.

Reactions: ashokan
I have some advantages in this situation, as the arc of my career has enabled me to be something of an internet pioneer in the industry, specific to a few very narrow but critical pieces of tech. That said, I've been predicting societal degradation at the hands of the internet and social media since the mid-90s.

I was having this same discussion the other night with Kid3, Esq. I used the old nuclear fission analogy from when we were kids - where, naturally, the Uranium atoms are widely separated, just chillin' in their own little space. Bring them closer together and they start to vibrate and get excited and heat up. Bring them closer together, still, and they reach critical mass and explode.

In this case, the Uranium atoms are deranged lunatics who will believe anything they read and the locomotive force is the internet.

I have some advantages in this situation, as the arc of my career has enabled me to be something of an internet pioneer in the industry, specific to a few very narrow but critical pieces of tech. That said, I've been predicting societal degradation at the hands of the internet and social media since the mid-90s.

I was having this same discussion the other night with Kid3, Esq. I used the old nuclear fission analogy from when we were kids - where, naturally, the Uranium atoms are widely separated, just chillin' in their own little space. Bring them closer together and they start to vibrate and get excited and heat up. Bring them closer together, still, and they reach critical mass and explode.

In this case, the Uranium atoms are deranged lunatics who will believe anything they read and the locomotive force is the internet.
...and, too often, the TKR board.

Reactions: RU4Real
Unfortunately, the internet gets out information so quickly that there is often little time to verify--and so many people immediately believe the first things they hear. As many times as we've learned the first reports from a scene, like a mass shooting, are wrong, so many people still believe them. They haven't learned to be skeptical.

Zuckeberg just said the same thing:

Mark Zuckerberg says it was challenging to censor COVID misinformation because the scientific establishment was frequently wrong, which ultimately undermined public trust:

"Just take some of the stuff around COVID earlier in the pandemic where there were real health implications, but there hadn't been time to fully vet a bunch of the scientific assumptions. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the kind of establishment on that kind of waffled on a bunch of facts and asked for a bunch of things to be censored that, in retrospect, ended up being more debatable or true. That stuff is really tough, right? It really undermines trust."

Professor Stanford School of Medicine Dr. Jay Bhattacharya blasted Zuckerberg for his role in pushing the government’s propaganda.

“Zuckerberg’s served as an enforcer for government propaganda during the pandemic. His regime of censorship on Facebook — in which falsehoods were allowed and truth censored — enabled school closures, vax mandates, toddler masking, and much else. Glad to see some humility here,” Dr. Bhattacharya"

Blame the www?
Nope.

• Haha
Reactions: okieKnight908
Exactly right. People complaining about social media are making social media worse.
There are tools such as ignore, mute, etc to filter out stuff you don't want to see and people you don't want to hear from. Some people enjoy looking for trouble, participating in nasty discussions, and then complaining about it.

My experience is about the same as yours, except I can't do Instagram. Too much garbage posting that can't be filtered out.

Twitter, on the other hand, is fantastic for me. Set the people you want to follow on a topic (for me: diet, nutrition, wellness, longevity, exercise, RU athletics, Mets) and then just set your feed to "Following". If someone interrupts your flow, mute them or ignore them. I have obtained more valuable information via Twitter from MDs and University professors than I could ever get via searching the internet generally. I have interacted with leading MDs and experts in nutrition and exercise on a variety of topics.

I've been off FB for 5+ years. Too much arguing between folks you want to connect with. But I'm considering rejoining. I've only just joined Twitter to support the new free speech paradigm introduced by Elon but Twitter is horrible. The UI sucks, the content just gross. So much of society I just don't want to hear from. Ugh. To me it's basically unusable. The others TikTok and IG are from what I've seen just pipeline to narcissists. Ugh again.

I've been off FB for 5+ years. Too much arguing between folks you want to connect with. But I'm considering rejoining. I've only just joined Twitter to support the new free speech paradigm introduced by Elon but Twitter is horrible. The UI sucks, the content just gross. So much of society I just don't want to hear from. Ugh. To me it's basically unusable. The others TikTok and IG are from what I've seen just pipeline to narcissists. Ugh again.
FB and all folks with whom you want to connect thank you.

"To another 5!"

🍾🥂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT