ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jack Reacher disses Rutgers Law School!

HAven't seen this season yet... but did that Rutgwers lawyer do a good job in whatever it was they wanted him to do?

Season 2, Episode 3:

How can I be of service?
You went to law school, right?
Yeah. Rutgers, So... kind of.
What kind of lawyer are you?
The best the 91st-ranked law school in the country can produce.

Still like the series though….
I graduated from Rutgers Law--Newark, and I have no problem with this. In many ways, the school was a joke.

Last edited:
That's not cool by the writers.. wouldn't be surprised that the writers are from Syralose, Uconn, or Penn State type of schools...

Basic stuff like this is what hurts perception and creates a negative association with the school. Just a bunch of haters looking to make RU look less when in reality is one of the best in the country.

The developer of the show is Nick Santora (Columbia Law graduate), who is also listed as a writer on the episode.

Reactions: eddynyse
The developer of the show is Nick Santora (Columbia Law graduate), who is also listed as a writer on the episode.
I saw that but thanks. Still .. why RU? he could have pick countless of others schools who are much worse than us... oh well..

You are a wise man.
that%27s-the-truth-sylvester-stallone.gif

I saw that but thanks. Still .. why RU? he could have pick countless of others schools who are much worse than us... oh well..
because 90% of the episode takes place in NJ and he gets arrested in NYC

Reactions: eddynyse
You guys should stop being snowflakes and not wring your hands about a single line spoken in an irrelevant streaming show.

It should be NJs premier Law School but unfortunately that would be Seton Hall.
Seton Hall I think is 56th. In South Jersey you have Temple sitting across the river ranked I believe 54th and 2nd in trial advocacy. We should never be that far below either of those two schools in any professional program.

Harvard and Yale pulled out of rankings.
More people want to avoid Ivy grads anyway
Not sure the ranking thing is going to keep impressing people with how "top schools" have beached themselves

Yale and Harvard law schools abandon U.S. News college rankings​

"In order to strive to become one of New York’s best real estate law firms we do not hire law school graduates from Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Columbia or any of the other traditional highest tier schools.

Our hires come from the top of the classes of the second, third or fourth tier law schools. We find these men and women we take under our wing to be more ambitious and more hungry to excel in the legal profession."

Reactions: RUaMoose
It’s not about location. RU Newark used to be ranked in the 40s. It’s philosophical. They call it the “People’s Electric Law School.” They believe it’s their role to admit students who otherwise could not get in rather than simply taking the best students. And they put most of their resources into getting those students through the school to graduation. Until that changes the rankings will not improve wherever it’s located.

That is better than the Reacher show calling RU Law 91st ranked in the nation.

I thought the cal-out was hilarious. No such thing as bad pub. And there would have been universal groans here if Syracuse was mentioned.

I cannot believe the comments on this.

This has nothing to do with the quality of Rutgers Law School.

This is just the New York Writers of this series maligning the State University of New Jersey and the people of New Jersey.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could watch a TV show or a movie without these grease balls attacking the State of NJ. it's so old and boring.

The Executive Producer and lead writer is from Queens NY. and he doesn't know any better.

With all of the crime ridden and pathetic states in the nation these writers continue to attack New Jersey, one of the wealthiest states in the nation. Boring.

. . . .

With all of the crime ridden and pathetic states in the nation these writers continue to attack New Jersey, one of the wealthiest states in the nation. Boring.
Have you ever traveled outside of Morris County? I would agree there isn't a great crime wave sweeping thru Mendham and Randolph, but believe it or not, there are other towns and cities in NJ where crime does run rampant such as Paterson, Camden, Newark, AC, etc. There are great pockets of wealth in NJ, no doubt, but there are plenty of pockets of poverty as well. The fact is that the law school needs to get its act together, it is an embarrassment that it is ranked so low and there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be a top 50 program.

Have you ever traveled outside of Morris County? I would agree there isn't a great crime wave sweeping thru Mendham and Randolph, but believe it or not, there are other towns and cities in NJ where crime does run rampant such as Paterson, Camden, Newark, AC, etc. There are great pockets of wealth in NJ, no doubt, but there are plenty of pockets of poverty as well. The fact is that the law school needs to get its act together, it is an embarrassment that it is ranked so low and there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be a top 50 program.

Relative to cities in other states, those cities are not very dangerous.

NJ ranks 47th nationally in violent crime. It's one of the safest states in the entire country, and the safest outside of New England.

Harvard and Yale pulled out of rankings.
More people want to avoid Ivy grads anyway
Not sure the ranking thing is going to keep impressing people with how "top schools" have beached themselves

Yale and Harvard law schools abandon U.S. News college rankings​

"In order to strive to become one of New York’s best real estate law firms we do not hire law school graduates from Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Columbia or any of the other traditional highest tier schools.

Our hires come from the top of the classes of the second, third or fourth tier law schools. We find these men and women we take under our wing to be more ambitious and more hungry to excel in the legal profession."

Yeah...uh....this law firm is extremely unrepresentative.

Most big law firms hire from t14, then 14-50, and then if you're really good from 50-100. Beyond the top 100, you better be ranked at the top of your class or you will be in trouble.

They are not concerned about internet tantrums.

Yeah...uh....this law firm is extremely unrepresentative.

Most big law firms hire from t14, then 14-50, and then if you're really good from 50-100. Beyond the top 100, you better be ranked at the top of your class or you will be in trouble.

They are not concerned about internet tantrums.

Oh its all much more than tantrums
I'm long friends with a Harvard lawyer in his 80s (labor law - USPS, Teamsters, baseball umpires - a major figure). This guy is one of the smartest people I know (arrived at Harvard that way) - and a good guy.
I see some of the newer crop of Ivy grads (all kinds) in action and they dont even compare.

The Ivy League started drifting long ago and its caught-up to them.Colleges in general are in a state of ill repute and demise ( and overcharging kids was just part of it)

Presidents are resigning and/or enmeshed in scandals , donors are cancelling gifts, employers are withdrawing job offers, profs are found conspiring with China, law school staff stealing..the whole college scene is in turmoil by degree and Ivy colleges are taking some of the the biggest hits. The polls cant hide the decay

The Unraveling of the U.S. News College Rankings
The revolt against the survey, started by Yale Law School, was decades in the making

The moral bankruptcy of Ivy League America

Students rejecting early Harvard acceptance as antisemitism stigma plagues Ivy League institution​

Former Law School Employees Accused of Stealing More than $100,000

Advice to Harvard Students and Alums: ‘Don’t Gratuitously Drop the H-Bomb’

There is a lot more of that and from other Ivy League colleges/unis. They've been wrecking their brand for a long time. I know Wall St, government and corporations (pretty lost themselves) like to stock- up on prestige grads but they haven't been doing well in many areas.

Michael Lewis ("Flash Boys" author and Princeton grad) said that never has one place (WS) taken so many smart people and made them stupid.

All that aside, maybe its good for law professions to rework the landscape (and from ABA to boot - membership already down thankfully). Its my impression a fair number of lawyers tip unhappy. The corporate lawyers complain of 70 hr weeks and lots of stress. Seems like firms have a salt mine vibe and rely on eager-beavers hungry for the brass rings - which is pretty much what a lot of grade compilers are.

I'm long friends with a Harvard lawyer in his 80s (labor law - USPS, Teamsters, baseball umpires - a major figure). This guy is one of the smartest people I know (arrived at Harvard that way) - and a good guy.
I see some of the newer crop of Ivy grads (all kinds) in action and they dont even compare.

The Ivy League started drifting long ago and its caught-up to them.Colleges in general are in a state of ill repute and demise ( and overcharging kids was just part of it)

Presidents are resigning and/or enmeshed in scandals , donors are cancelling gifts, employers are withdrawing job offers, profs are found conspiring with China, law school staff stealing..the whole college scene is in turmoil by degree and Ivy colleges are taking some of the the biggest hits. The polls cant hide the decay

The revolt against the survey, started by Yale Law School, was decades in the making

Students rejecting early Harvard acceptance as antisemitism stigma plagues Ivy League institution​

There is a lot more of that and from other Ivy League colleges/unis. They've been wrecking their brand for a long time. I know Wall St, government and corporations (pretty lost themselves) like to stock- up on prestige grads but they haven't been doing well in many areas.

Michael Lewis ("Flash Boys" author and Princeton grad) said that never has one place (WS) taken so many smart people and made them stupid.

All that aside, maybe its good for law professions to rework the landscape (and from ABA to boot - membership already down thankfully). Its my impression a fair number of lawyers tip unhappy. The corporate lawyers complain of 70 hr weeks and lots of stress. Seems like firms have a salt mine vibe and rely on eager-beavers hungry for the brass rings - which is pretty much what a lot of grade compilers are.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.
Speaking of humans and cats and dogs - Google Dr Peter Singer at Princeton.

Steve Jobs used to say "A-players attract other A-players and B-players attract C-players."
This is what's bringing colleges and other institutions down.
I'd rather go to Rutgers than Yale tbh.

Ok, sure. You let me know when Skadden and other Vault top 10 law firms start bringing in Liberty grads.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT