ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey and Anthony Bourdain

You know.. I think nostalgia for your childhood homeland may just be something evolution has built into us. You know.. like how a dog can be taken across the country and still find his way home. Maybe we humans have that same instinct as well.. but paired with our big brains and imagination and ability to communicate, we can express it, explain it.. instead of just starting to walk home.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Not sure if it was shared before but I didn’t know Anthony Bourdain was a Jersey guy. I always liked his story telling and sad to see him go. Here are some of his thoughts on NJ.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/new-jersey/bourdains-field-notes-new-jersey/

Never knew Bourdain wrote field notes for the show, thanks. Watched CNN's "Remembering Bourdain" last night and thought it was really nicely done. Lots of commentary from current and former CNN people who knew him, combined with many great clips from the show.

I just loved that NJ episode - it was NJ at its grittiest, but also at its finest, where even the most downtrodden and forgotten places still showed signs of their past glory. Having eaten and greatly enjoyed 4 of the 5 places featured in the show (well before the episode was filmed), you just knew that he really knew New Jersey and not just from the perspective of food critics. Always wished I could've shared a beer and a meal with him in one of these places.

If you've never seen the episode it featured Hiram's in Fort Lee, Frank's Deli in Asbury Park, Dock's Oyster House in AC, Donkey's in Camden and Kubel's in Barnegat Light (the only one I've never been to). Every one of them is a NJ treasure it its way and his affection for these places, and the people who run them and frequent them, is so genuine it just jumps out at you on the screen, almost snarling, "this is Jersey motherfu*ker - you gotta problem with that?"

https://www.northjersey.com/story/e...-parts-unknown-episode-restaurants/684273002/

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Anthony was a long time poster on my now defunct Virtual Tourist web site
Ive been on site for several of his TV shows
A few of us spent a night in Reykjavik Iceland hunting down absinthe, vodka and something called the Black Death only found in Iceland
he drank us all under the table....

While he never found a cocktail he didnt like (among other things) he DID mention feelling desperate financially in the 90s(its actually a subject of one of his books)
success in the 2000s, his 16 mil net worth,.... and his 11 year old daughter
not to mention a new girl friend......
had me feeling he "had it made"

Rest in peace AB

really?......... i thought everyone from Jersey knew he was from Jersey?.......................

I remember his first episode on NJ (i think Food channel at the time).... pretty negative... really hated it...

I was glad when he did a second episode (for Parts Unknown)... it was much more thoughtful and balanced....

i usually don't get too hung-up on celebrity deaths... but, this one is very sad to me........ I watched the Parts Unknown: Berlin episode last night... in total silence just listening to his prose...

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Does he have a bar and Grill on John St in Lower Manhattan ? Passed by a place yesterday that was closed with all kinds of flowers, letters, cards, etc out front. Ppl were gathered around. I assume it's his joint.

Does he have a bar and Grill on John St in Lower Manhattan ? Passed by a place yesterday that was closed with all kinds of flowers, letters, cards, etc out front. Ppl were gathered around. I assume it's his joint.

He was once the executive chef at Les Halles.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Les Halles, 28/29th and Park, is closed. But I thought I saw on the news that people are still putting flowers and notes outside of that space. Used to go there on a semi regular basis mostly after he had moved along.

I really liked his shows. Sometimes a little naive like when he went to Cuba and seemed to love have "untouched" it was. Of course, he didn't have to live there. Very interesting guy and very smart.

Les Halles, 28/29th and Park, is closed. But I thought I saw on the news that people are still putting flowers and notes outside of that space. Used to go there on a semi regular basis mostly after he had moved along.

I really liked his shows. Sometimes a little naive like when he went to Cuba and seemed to love have "untouched" it was. Of course, he didn't have to live there. Very interesting guy and very smart.
http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/podcast-138

From 2011 on Joe Rogan's podcast.

He discusses some of the places he goes and how he has to be somewhat careful what he says because he recognizes that the people he visits with are still living there and he doesn't want to leave a mess for them. A good listen.

really?......... i thought everyone from Jersey knew he was from Jersey?.......................

I remember his first episode on NJ (i think Food channel at the time).... pretty negative... really hated it...

I was glad when he did a second episode (for Parts Unknown)... it was much more thoughtful and balanced....

i usually don't get too hung-up on celebrity deaths... but, this one is very sad to me........ I watched the Parts Unknown: Berlin episode last night... in total silence just listening to his prose...
I don’t watch a lot of tv and I just picked up watching his show a few months ago. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Cowardly to commit suicide with an 11 year old daughter no matter how bad the depression is. I mean, this wasn't a Robin Williams situation where he was losing his ability to think and reason. The guy was filming and interacting right up to his death. Coward. You have to fight through difficult times and especially when you have a child.

Cowardly to commit suicide with an 11 year old daughter no matter how bad the depression is. I mean, this wasn't a Robin Williams situation where he was losing his ability to think and reason. The guy was filming and interacting right up to his death. Coward. You have to fight through difficult times and especially when you have a child.
It’s easy to say that when your not in his shoes. He had everything going for him. To do what he did would require some major mental issues. I could never see myself getting to that point but others have their own demons that we’ll never understand.

It’s easy to say that when your not in his shoes. He had everything going for him. To do what he did would require some major mental issues. I could never see myself getting to that point but others have their own demons that we’ll never understand.
His GF was cheating on him and photos came out a week or so earlier of her with the other guy. I mean, what do you expect when you're 61 and dating someone half your age, italian at that? Not saying life wasn't difficult for him, I don't know but you have to fight through the tough times.

His GF was cheating on him and photos came out a week or so earlier of her with the other guy. I mean, what do you expect when you're 61 and dating someone half your age, italian at that? Not saying life wasn't difficult for him, I don't know but you have to fight through the tough times.
I've known a few people who have committed suicide, including one guy with two kids. I've tried to find some commonality or rationale that makes sense, but it just doesn't. The mind can be very complicated and what seems like an abhorrant or cowardly move to most of us must make sense in some strange way to these people. Just very sad.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I am still thrown off by his apparent suicide. Yes, h lived with demons and his writings and shows are very reminiscent of work by great artists that had a lot of demons...but, he was also a person who lived his life by exploring life and all this world had to offer, even if it was the very dark side. He seems like a soul that still had much more to explore.
The lack of a suicide note is also a bit off setting as well. He lived by the word, I am surprised he did not leave this world with his words as well.

Tragic but I am not sure we are even close to what actually happened.

Bourdain was entertaining. However, I always thought that he was kind of a pompous ass who tried to show everyone how cutting edge and cool he was..

He was a pretty humble guy from what I saw. I think he just really was that cool.

"It is my contention that New Jersey is so magnificent, so unique, its spirit and sense of humor so unsinkable that even there, seeing those places—as I do—with affection and respect and no small measure of hope, that those who watch this episode will find my beloved home state awesome and beautiful too. Even in the refineries, the sprawl of bridges and highways and clover-leaf interchanges, there’s beauty there. We worked mightily to show you those things as we saw them; as I feel about them. New Jersey, it is my contention, was amazing all along. It was when we tried to “fix it” that we went astray."​

Reactions: 76Scarlet

probably means nothing.. but, i find it interesting people refer to his "gf" like she's some total unknown random... and not Asia Argento famous actress with her own complex backstory (google Harvey Weinstein for starters....).........

was amazing watching Parts Unknown: Amalfi.......... i believe that's where they hooked-up (again..)... the unspoken-sexuality on the screen was obvious...

Last edited:
I've known a few people who have committed suicide, including one guy with two kids. I've tried to find some commonality or rationale that makes sense, but it just doesn't. The mind can be very complicated and what seems like an abhorrant or cowardly move to most of us must make sense in some strange way to these people. Just very sad.

I've personally known 4
2 hung themselves as teens, both were big time druggies.
Another was around 45, alcoholic , took around 40 pain killers and was found with a bottle of Jack nearby
4th was a junkhead too with depression issues

Apprently "hung himself" from a doorknob...

Sometimes murders are made to look like a suicide...

The theories out there with these doorknob "suicides" are people with information on pedophiles...the symbolism could be do not open the door.

Kate Spade hung herself from a door...her note to daughter said it's not your fault..ask your father...odd thing to say... days later the father is seen wearing a mouse mask in public because he wants "privacy"....how freaking weird is that?!? Definitely some weird stuff goin on

Ok. Yeah. My pointing out that the site you linked is filled with nonsense equates to me covering up for pedophilia. Got it. Now I see why you read that site.
I don't read that site, I simply came across it....did you even read what it had to say? It's ironic because I can't get information from that site without being ridiculed as wearing a tin foil hat but information from CNN is ok? But when there is a pedophile ring uncovered in Atlanta (CNN headquarters) and CNN completely ignores it then maybe it's time to get our information from somewhere else...

We are talking about children here....you are turning a blind eye to it, mocking those who have the courage to speak out about it, and enabling it...you discredit the site and in essence are covering it up...I dare you to have a conversation with your wife about the guy on your Rutgers message board that posted about the "suicides" of people exposing pedophiles and how you mocked him and see what she says...

The people involved with these pedophile rings control the media and government and have brainwashed people like you, don't point the finger, point the thumb

I don't read that site, I simply came across it....did you even read what it had to say? It's ironic because I can't get information from that site without being ridiculed as wearing a tin foil hat but information from CNN is ok? But when there is a pedophile ring uncovered in Atlanta (CNN headquarters) and CNN completely ignores it then maybe it's time to get our information from somewhere else...

We are talking about children here....you are turning a blind eye to it, mocking those who have the courage to speak out about it, and enabling it...you discredit the site and in essence are covering it up...I dare you to have a conversation with your wife about the guy on your Rutgers message board that posted about the "suicides" of people exposing pedophiles and how you mocked him and see what she says...

The people involved with these pedophile rings control the media and government and have brainwashed people like you, don't point the finger, point the thumb

Well, my wife just said you're a friggin' moron for reading that site, so there's that. And pedophilia is a horrible, serious problem, but that site is not helping anyone address pedophilia in a serious way. Neon Nettle is a known fake news site and that article you linked is a complete fabrication, as has been well documented in the attached Snopes takedown.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anthony-bourdain-expose-elite-ring/

Well, my wife just said you're a friggin' moron for reading that site, so there's that. And pedophilia is a horrible, serious problem, but that site is not helping anyone address pedophilia in a serious way. Neon Nettle is a known fake news site and that article you linked is a complete fabrication, as has been well documented in the attached Snopes takedown.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anthony-bourdain-expose-elite-ring/
The name calling continues! So what are you doing to address pedophilia or sex trafficking if you attempt to silence people that want to raise awareness...seriously have you done any of your own research into these "rumours" surrounding certain elite people being involved in this sick shit...I mean there are multiple different things pointing to this and where there is smoke there is fire...and we are talking about rich and powerful people that control the media and brainwash the masses....the mainstream news would never cover this because they own the news...I there were clues in HRC's leaked emails!
What can we do nothing but raise awareness

Where do you suggest I get my news from?

And your snopes article did not give any facts either and is basically the same speculation as the original article

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT