ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ketel One or Gray Goose? Is there really a difference?

I like Pinnacle and Chopin as well. Of course my RU friends and I refer to Chopin as "Choppin" lol

I have a former student who is from Minsk and has brought me back a lot of different vodkas from her trips home. Some interesting stuff.

Have not tried Tito's or Russian Standard. I really like Ciroc. We keep a bottle in the freezer. It's kind of expensive in NZ, so if either of the two above are as good, will be good to make a shift.

Is the student's name Rochelle Rochelle?

Vodka drinkers are either very selective or will choose any crap they can afford. I'm asking the first type if the Dutch vodka or the French vodka is really distinctive. The problem is that advertising propaganda really distorts our tastes, like it or not.

For example, media advertisements would have you believe that Ketel One is a man's vodka, and Gray Goose is a woman's vodka. This very probably is all advertising bullshit.

What do you think?

Premium vodka is largely hype and marketing. Once you achieve a high level of filtration and purity, there's little difference except the hype. There's a reason they don't blind taste vodkas. When they do Vodkas like Scmirnof's beat those that are 3 times the price.
Vodka drinkers are either very selective or will choose any crap they can afford. I'm asking the first type if the Dutch vodka or the French vodka is really distinctive. The problem is that advertising propaganda really distorts our tastes, like it or not.

For example, media advertisements would have you believe that Ketel One is a man's vodka, and Gray Goose is a woman's vodka. This very probably is all advertising bullshit.

What do you think?

premium vodka is largely hype and marketing. Once you achieve a high level of filtration and purity, there's little difference except the hype. There's a reason they don't blind taste vodkas. When they do Vodkas like Scmirnof's beat those that are 3 times the price. Those are the facts, although premium vodka drinkers will swear otherwise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/d...dxnnlx=1387154388-ATkNL/qMxyLby7dWvs2YCw&_r=0

I taught at a Russian university for 2 summers and the good stuff never makes it to our shores. Svenishnaya(not for export) was the best in terms of being smooth with no aftertaste and it was dirt cheap as are the Russian vodkas we know here. What makes them expensive is import duties.

As someone who used to go through vodka like it was water, once you add a mixer you cant tell the difference no matter what the vodka snobs say. I used to have taste tests at my parties and PUBLIX brand at $10 a 1.75L often won over Ketal One and Grey Goose...the latter 2 just have snob appeal.
I think it depends on the mixer. If you drink a lot of vodka and mix it with the same stuff all the time, you'll probably be able to tell the difference especially if the quality is poor. It also depends on sobriety.

I used to love kettle one because it was a lot better than well and neat it's great. I moved to cheaper like titos but now that has gone up. I like anything triple distilled like new amsterdam, but have to say I thought vodka was all marketing until I tried grey goose. It's different and delicious. For martinis, I usually choose gg now. Didn't know it was made from grains. I find it delicious.

McCormicks is Quadrupled distilled and sells about $15 for 1.75 liter at most discount liquor outlets.

Is the student's name Rochelle Rochelle?

No, but good reference!

Tried Tito's last night. Bartender recommended it but pointed out that it's pretty neutral. So had two glasses on the rocks and it was pretty good, but nothing special. But if it's really cheap (which it wasn't at the bar), then that would make it good as a mixer. Straight up though, I still like Ciroc.

Scientist or not, familiarization with the definitions and requirements as relates to distilled spirits isn't something commonly understood.

Vodka is a sub-type of the TTB category "Neutral Spirits or Alcohol". The definition is:

Neutral Spirits or Alcohol: Spirits distilled from any material at or above 95% alcohol by volume (190 proof), and if bottled, bottled at not less than 40% alcohol by volume (80 proof).

Vodka: Neutral spirits distilled or treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials so as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color.
Vodka differs from most other distilled spirits such as whiskey, rum and tequila in that the definitions for those spirits include the phrase, "having the taste, aroma and characteristics generally attributed to __________." Vodka must be without any of those things.

Taste, character and aroma come from two things - the cogeners present in the distilled spirit and the taste, character, aroma (and color) imparted by the wood upon which the spirit is aged. Vodka is un-aged and the requirement that it be distilled at or above 95% ABV guarantees that no cogeners are present in the finished spirit.

Without entering into the debate over the "toxicity" of cogeners, we can state with certainty that the production process of vodka - ALL vodka - renders it completely free of "toxins".

Thanks RU4REAL

Now, do u know anything about soup.

This guy just kicked me out of his restaurant. I'm gonna try Mendes.

Gray goose with blue cheese olives. But I also do kettle one Martinis as my second choice when the big. Bottle is on sale.

Used to drink goose but now a Titos drinker. Don't care about the toxins- it is still Klingon me anyway.lol

One of my past favorites is Effen vid a. Used to just like walking in and ask if they have any Effen vodka. But now it got expensive too

I like Pinnacle and Chopin as well. Of course my RU friends and I refer to Chopin as "Choppin" lol

So do most people lol.

I was talking to a Liquor Distributor yesterday. According to him, the guy who started Tito's sold 12,000 cases the first year. Last year the number was around 2 million.

A couple of you mentioned flavored vodka. I notice that Pinnacle can fill a long shelf with about a dozen different flavors (including whipped cream!). I've never tried flavored vodka. For those that have tried, which flavor do you favor?

Last edited:
A couple of you mentioned flavored vodka. I notice that Pinnacle can fill a long shelf with about a dozen different flavors (including whipped cream!). I've never tried flavored vodka. For those that have tried, which flavor do you favor?

Raspberry, Orange, Citrus etc...

I use Stoli Raspberry for Vodka Mojito's. Crush a few fresh raspberries in it with the mint leaves and sugar and club soda.

Make Orange Kamikaze's with Orange Vodka.

Use Vanilla Vodka in my French Martini's Take equal parts Stoli Vanilla and Chambord or Razz Ma Tazz, throw some pineapple juice in and shake. Add a little champagne if you like.

Take 3/4 oz Orange, Raspberry, and Lemon Vodka add some pineapple and shake till the ice crystals form. Pour into a martini glass. Float some grenadine it it.

What do you think?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT