ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Matthew Hurricane

By brother in law in East Orlando said they have been completely out of water and gas since yesterday. They will decide about the schools today.

Well you thinks wrong. Neither I nor any family member have a connection to any entity that makes money off the beaches. I do bartend part time but at a facility well off the beach and only for weddings and private functions. You also bring up Jenkinson's when I specifically said beach communities that are open to the public. Despite what many think I pay the same beach fee as anyone who visits. I do understand those fees pay for maintenance and cleanup, lifeguards, and other costs associated with providing a source of recreation and enjoyment in a town such as mine where the population expands from 6,000 to 20,000 during the summer. Should I foot the bill for those expenses? Think not.

Anyway we've hijacked the thread so I'll stop. This is usually a Memorial Day topic. I'll discuss it further with you at that time if you so wish.
You bring up some good points. Probably the biggest point for beach replenishment for all shore towns that need it is because the Jersey Shore related tourism and businesses are the second biggest income producer for the state of New Jersey tax wise. It's smart business. It's no different than maintaining roads, bridges, mass transit, or port and aviation facilities. There is indirect benefits to beach replenishment for everyone in New Jersey. That trumps the complainers not wanting public money spent on it because they don't go to a particular beach so they don't receive a direct benefit. It's just mindless ignorance to complain about something like this.

Last edited:
You bring up some good points. Probably the biggest point for beach replenishment for all shore towns that need it is because the Jersey Shore related tourism and businesses are the second biggest income producer for the state of New Jersey tax wise. It's smart business. It's no different than maintaining roads, bridges, mass transit, or port and aviation facilities. There is indirect benefits to beach replenishment for everyone in New Jersey. That trumps the complainers not wanting money public money spent on it because they don't go to a particular beach so they don't receive a direct benefit. It's just mindless ignorance to complain about something like this.

And you live where and spend how much time on the beach?

The NHC 11 AM track projection actually gives validity to the crazy European model yesterday that had Matthew hitting Florida twice (Nicole track is unusual as well).

093327W5_NL_sm.gif
143324W5_NL_sm.gif

Where do all the people go?
Pretty simple. The high winds break up pretty quickly after hitting land and Florida is flat and made of sand so flooding doesn't typically spread as far. I'm going 10 miles inland. If you are 3 miles inland you are fine.

Pretty simple. The high winds break up pretty quickly after hitting land and Florida is flat and made of sand so flooding doesn't typically spread as far. I'm going 10 miles inland. If you are 3 miles inland you are fine.

Have you ever been to Florida?

with the exception of Orlando - pretty much every one is near the coast.

My wife's hotel in Greenville, SC booked over 75 rooms for Thursday-Saturday and completely sold out yesterday, plus other facilities up here are becoming evacuee shelters. Some at work knows someone who left Charleston Tuesday night and did not make it to here until 2 in the morning.

Interesting. I have a friend who lives in Cocoa Beach, a barrier island on the east coast. They were evacuated today. She is going to visit friends in St Petersburg near Tampa, about 150 miles away. Probably a 2-3 hour drive with traffic, and there were plenty of hotel rooms available. Doesn't sound like a major problem riding out the storm.

Interesting. I have a friend who lives in Cocoa Beach, a barrier island on the east coast. They were evacuated today. She is going to visit friends in St Petersburg near Tampa, about 150 miles away. Probably a 2-3 hour drive with traffic, and there were plenty of hotel rooms available. Doesn't sound like a major problem riding out the storm.
Depends on what you call riding out the storm. I'm 100 feet off the ocean at 13 feet above sea level. Not riding it out because of the high winds and potential for water to come over the dunes. The people by the itracoastal are 1-2 feet above sea level, not wise for them either.

Hotel rooms dried up quick today as evacuation orders came out. We booked a hotel room yesterday that told my wife they were pet friendly. Then we got a call at 3:00 pm today saying don't show up with a pet. I've looked for a hotel on VRBO from Jacksonville to Tallahassee and from Orlando to Valdosta and couldn't find a thing. My oldest son took a bullet and is taking the dog to a friends in Tallahassee while my wife and I go to the hotel.

Reactions: RuRats27
Finding a pet friendly hotel was a bitch for us also. A few supposedly pet friendly places on the way out of Charleston became pet unfriendly all of a sudden. Found a half way decent place in Charlotte. Good luck to all the Florida peeps.

Here's what I said a couple of hours ago on the gameday weather thread - it's going to be mostly to completely dry, with just a few light showers possible.

If I had asked anyone over the past 3-4 days if they would've taken the weather in the graphic below, everyone would've jumped at it. It ain't perfect, but it ain't bad either. I could live with 0.05" of rain from 2 pm to 8 pm, with no wind, mostly cloudy skies and mild temps. By the way, the NWS in NYC shows essentially an identical forecast graphic for nearby SI/Union County.

Sure this could still change some, but not by a lot, I don't think. If this verified, the biggest issue would be the whining at our tailgate if I didn't set the friggin' canopy up for a couple of 10 minute light showers, lol. We have a sensitive group.

Plotter.php

Reactions: AshSaturday
My friends in Charleston are having this exact debate. They decided it's better to be safe than sorry and are heading out. My FIL in NC (on the sound) is heading inland as well, with the erosion, the water, and the rain, it's not worth keeping an eye on property when you have the means to be safe elsewhere. Now my Florida people, they're already battening down the hatches, coming in from the keys and hunkering down. I hope everyone gets through this safely.

We had friends who evacuated Charleston today and are now at my mom's in Charlotte. While Matthew is now less likely to be a catastrophic storm for Charleston, as it looks like the storm will be ~50 miles offshore, low-lying areas could still see several feet of storm surge and it's still going to be pretty unpleasant with maybe 50-75 mph winds and10" of rain. And it's still 3 days away and the track could still take it into Charleston, as 3-day track errors are about 100 miles.

Can't convince my friggin' dad about evacuating from Vero Beach, which is under the gun for a landfalling cat 3/4 hurricane with ~130 mph winds very early on Friday. He lived through Jeanne (~120 mph winds) and Frances (~100 mph winds) in 2004, which caused major damage in Vero, and said he'd never do that again, but he's old (83) and stubborn (but still capable of driving to Tampa or Orlando).

]

Not an expert in any way but NWS showing a chance of showers all day. Thinking back to put it in RU football terms it reminds me of the kind of forecast/weather we saw vs PSU in '14.

We got about 0.2" of rain during the PSU tailgate, from about 3-7 pm; current NWS forecast is for 0.05" of rain during the 2-8 pm timeframe, so it's expected to be significantly less rainy. No reason to not attend this game.

We had friends who evacuated Charleston today and are now at my mom's in Charlotte. While Matthew is now less likely to be a catastrophic storm for Charleston, as it looks like the storm will be ~50 miles offshore, low-lying areas could still see several feet of storm surge and it's still going to be pretty unpleasant with maybe 50-75 mph winds and10" of rain. And it's still 3 days away and the track could still take it into Charleston, as 3-day track errors are about 100 miles.

Can't convince my friggin' dad about evacuating from Vero Beach, which is under the gun for a landfalling cat 3/4 hurricane with ~130 mph winds very early on Friday. He lived through Jeanne (~120 mph winds) and Frances (~100 mph winds) in 2004, which caused major damage in Vero, and said he'd never do that again, but he's old (83) and stubborn (but still capable of driving to Tampa or Orlando).

I have a buddy I've known since hs who lives in a 3rd story condo on the beach in Vero Beach. He is also refusing to leave for this storm. I have visited him at his place and would not want to be stranded there if they lose power, get flooded in, etc. I guess it's easier to make the decision to stay rather than to evacuate, although the consequences are much worse than these people realize when they decide to stay in their homes.

Since everyone is now saying weather will be nice I will say the exact opposite. it is contrarian time!

I have a buddy I've known since hs who lives in a 3rd story condo on the beach in Vero Beach. He is also refusing to leave for this storm. I have visited him at his place and would not want to be stranded there if they lose power, get flooded in, etc. I guess it's easier to make the decision to stay rather than to evacuate, although the consequences are much worse than these people realize when they decide to stay in their homes.

Lots of mandatory evacuations now in South FL. The problem is where to go - most of the state is under some type of warning.

I live in south central Orlando and there is a chance we will be told to leave. They want people as far as possible. If we are asked to leave we will probably head to Tampa which is 2 hrs away. This is such a pain. Left Jersey to get away from the snow and ended up with hurricanes! My children are scare because we really never been in this situation. We have to wait until morning to see what we are going to do.

We got about 0.2" of rain during the PSU tailgate, from about 3-7 pm; current NWS forecast is for 0.05" of rain during the 2-8 pm timeframe, so it's expected to be significantly less rainy. No reason to not attend this game.

Yeah it has gotten progressively better since I posted. Went from .18 to .15 to .09 to .05. As you'd expect, the probability has dropped significantly too.

Just evacuated. Not a fun week!

It really sucks and you'll worry like crazy about what you left behind for sure BUT as someone who had to do it 4 years ago, there'll be a moment of clarity when you realize the only thing that matters is you and yours are safe.

Hang in there. I wish you and all our Fla, Ga, and Carolinas folks the best possible outcome.

I live in south central Orlando and there is a chance we will be told to leave. They want people as far as possible. If we are asked to leave we will probably head to Tampa which is 2 hrs away. This is such a pain. Left Jersey to get away from the snow and ended up with hurricanes! My children are scare because we really never been in this situation. We have to wait until morning to see what we are going to do.

Orlando is really on the fringe of the worst weather - I'd be surprised to see hurricane force winds there, although there will be a lot of rain (4" or more) and 50-60 mph winds. I would think most could ride this one out.

Reactions: jvgrad02
Surprisingly, I made one last appeal, based on science and risk - and pointing out he could simply drive a couple of hours and play some poker and stay in a nice hotel for a night - and he said he'd leave first thing in the morning. Although he might just have said that to shut me up, lol.

IMO it makes no sense to issue evac orders in the middle of the state (Florida). There's no risk of storm surge, no real risk of flooding (due to the uniquely porous ground) and Matthew's hurricane force winds extend for no more than 20 miles west of center.

For those in the Orlando area, "shelter in place" seems to be a much better bet.

Again, JMO, but I've been through this sort of thing in that very place. It's not a terrifically big deal.

I heard on TWC that building codes were more strict on withstanding hurricanes more on the Miami area then say Orlando.

I heard on TWC that building codes were more strict on withstanding hurricanes more on the Miami area then say Orlando.

Could be.

But the Orlando area is extremely unlikely - as in, "I'd bet large amounts of money" unlikely - to see sustained hurricane force winds from this storm. And the Orlando area gets extremely high wind gusts during severe thunderstorms on a regular basis.

Historically, the biggest threat to interior Florida from a coastal hurricane is tornadic activity. Which also happens to be interior Florida's biggest threat about 150 days a year.

My uncle who lives on Merritt Island in the mandatory evacuation zone, isn't leaving because he can't find anywhere that will take him and his two dogs. Even my grandmother, who has an apartment in a retirement community an hour away that is not being evacuated, which allows guests and dogs, told him they said once it starts raining he can't go outside even with the dogs until the storm is completely over. These are large dogs so he can't just let them go all over my grandmother's apartment for 24 hours. He's planning to stay and then leave afterwords if the power is out for too long.

My uncle who lives on Merritt Island in the mandatory evacuation zone, isn't leaving because he can't find anywhere that will take him and his two dogs. Even my grandmother, who has an apartment in a retirement community an hour away that is not being evacuated, which allows guests and dogs, told him they said once it starts raining he can't go outside even with the dogs until the storm is completely over. These are large dogs so he can't just let them go all over my grandmother's apartment for 24 hours. He's planning to stay and then leave afterwords if the power is out for too long.
So you go there with the dogs and you break the rules about going outside in the rain if it is safe otherwise. Really now.. Condo rules are going to stop you from protecting your life and that of your pets?

Reactions: Block R
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT