ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movie about Zappaa's dad opening soon

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
To quote from Ken Rosenthal writing in The Athlete's newsletter:
Celebrating Yogi Berra

I normally don’t recommend movies, but I’ll make an exception for “It Ain’t Over,” the documentary on Yogi Berra that will open in select theaters in New York and Los Angeles on May 12. I attended the premiere in New York on Tuesday night and was blown away.

The film succeeds at its most basic level, reminding us that Berra was a three-time MVP, 10-time World Series champion, and one of the all-time great catchers. Berra’s granddaughter, Lindsay, is the driving force behind the project and narrates a good bit of the documentary. Her goal is clear: To ensure her grandfather is remembered not just for his Yogi-isms and television commercials, but for his playing accomplishments.

Yet there is more, so much more. The acceptance by Berra of the game’s first Black players, Jackie Robinson in the NL and Larry Doby in the AL. His lifelong insistence that he tagged out Robinson on what umpire Bill Summers ruled a successful steal of home in Game 1 of the 1955 World Series. His feud with George Steinbrenner. His managerial stints with the Yankees and Mets.

Berra served in World War II, winning a Purple Heart for his role in the Navy on D-Day. He was the consummate family man, devoted to his wife Carmen and their three sons, as well as his 11 grandchildren, of whom Lindsay is the oldest. The film includes interviews with Derek Jeter, Joe Torre and other former Yankee greats, as well as Billy Crystal, Bob Costas, Vin Scully and others. The message comes shining through: Berra was much more than a caricature. He is an American icon.

Yogi would have thanked those who made this movie necessary.

Since he played his last game on a Sunday in New York in 1965,the number of people who saw him play is dwarfed-no short joke here-by the number of people who saw him in an Aflac commercial.

I have read good things about it starting with Bill Madden's column. Sounds like they got some really good interviews for this. I think it will be in some theaters, not sure how wide though.

My Dad played baseball on Staten Island with Bobby Thomson. My Dad loved baseball and ran into Yogi at Fusco’s Market in Woodcliff Lake NJ and exchanged pleasantries and reminisced about Thomson with Yogi. Most folks don’t know that the Berra’s lived in Woodcliff Lake before settling in Montclair. There were other Yankees in the Pascack Valley area — Ralph Houk, Johnny Kucks, Bill Skowron, Eddie Lopat, Vic Raschi. Sportswriter Dick Young lived in Woodcliff Lake as well.

I just saw a preview of this recently. Can't wait to see it.

I was born in February, 1965. My primary memories of Yogi are as the manager of the Mets and a coach with the Yankees.

A superstar on the field and in the game of Life.

Yogi seemed to have an aura of goodness around him and his life would seem to be a very worthy topic and this movie will likely be time well spent.

A friend of mine posted a link on Facebook to the announcement of the movie. I commented as follows:

I am so glad that there will be a focus on Berra's achievements on the diamond rather than on the things he said --some of which he never said. I started following the Yankees in 1958. That was after Berra's MVP years. But Berra was still batting clean-up behind Mickey Mantle and still delivering. He was at his best in pressure situations. Berra hit two home runs in the 7th game of the 1956 Series. He hit the home run in the 7th game of the 1958 Series that put the game away. He hit what appeared to be the same kind of homer in the 7th game of the 1960 Series --only for the Pirates to come back thanks largely to a ground ball that took a freak hop and hit Yankee shortstop Tony Kubek in the throat. Berra was also an excellent catcher, with brains as well as physical tools: Casey Stengel called Berra "my assistant manager."

My Dad played baseball on Staten Island with Bobby Thomson. My Dad loved baseball and ran into Yogi at Fusco’s Market in Woodcliff Lake NJ and exchanged pleasantries and reminisced about Thomson with Yogi. Most folks don’t know that the Berra’s lived in Woodcliff Lake before settling in Montclair. There were other Yankees in the Pascack Valley area — Ralph Houk, Johnny Kucks, Bill Skowron, Eddie Lopat, Vic Raschi. Sportswriter Dick Young lived in Woodcliff Lake as well.

Zappa was born on the same day in the same hospital as my younger sister. My dad didn't say anything about it until I was about 10 and a diehard Yankee game. Of course I asked if he had seen him or talked to him. He said as he was leaving one day Yogi walking in. "Did you say anything to him?"

"No. I smiled and nodded my head and he did the did the same. He wasn't there to have a conversation with me."

BTW, Houk lived in Saddle River and Bouton in Ridgewood.

Nice story.
The Asbury Park Press article was behind a paywall for me. The link below is a free article on Yahoo News.
NJ's Overlooked Icon
Some interesting comments.
Hope I get to see the movie. Always loved Yogi, and my son, who is a Yankees fan, does too!

Zappa was born on the same day in the same hospital as my younger sister. My dad didn't say anything about it until I was about 10 and a diehard Yankee game. Of course I asked if he had seen him or talked to him. He said as he was leaving one day Yogi walking in. "Did you say anything to him?"

"No. I smiled and nodded my head and he did the did the same. He wasn't there to have a conversation with me."

BTW, Houk lived in Saddle River and Bouton in Ridgewood.
Different generation.

Reactions: newell138
Just saw the movie, it was excellent, great job by the Berra family especially Lindsay, you can tell this film meant a lot to them.

Reactions: socaldave
Funny. I think everyone thought Yogi was a wonderful human being. It was his immense talent as a player that was overlooked.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
mando-way-mandalorian.gif

Funny. I think everyone thought Yogi was a wonderful human being. It was his immense talent as a player that was overlooked.
Really.. all those rings.. world championships.. all-star games.. no connection to Rutgers other than living in the state almost an hour away (afaik).. and he and his son becomes fans to support the State U.

If 10% of successful persons living in the state became Rutgers fans NIL would not be a problem.

Reactions: newell138
To quote from Ken Rosenthal writing in The Athlete's newsletter:
Celebrating Yogi Berra

I normally don’t recommend movies, but I’ll make an exception for “It Ain’t Over,” the documentary on Yogi Berra that will open in select theaters in New York and Los Angeles on May 12. I attended the premiere in New York on Tuesday night and was blown away.

The film succeeds at its most basic level, reminding us that Berra was a three-time MVP, 10-time World Series champion, and one of the all-time great catchers. Berra’s granddaughter, Lindsay, is the driving force behind the project and narrates a good bit of the documentary. Her goal is clear: To ensure her grandfather is remembered not just for his Yogi-isms and television commercials, but for his playing accomplishments.

Yet there is more, so much more. The acceptance by Berra of the game’s first Black players, Jackie Robinson in the NL and Larry Doby in the AL. His lifelong insistence that he tagged out Robinson on what umpire Bill Summers ruled a successful steal of home in Game 1 of the 1955 World Series. His feud with George Steinbrenner. His managerial stints with the Yankees and Mets.

Berra served in World War II, winning a Purple Heart for his role in the Navy on D-Day. He was the consummate family man, devoted to his wife Carmen and their three sons, as well as his 11 grandchildren, of whom Lindsay is the oldest. The film includes interviews with Derek Jeter, Joe Torre and other former Yankee greats, as well as Billy Crystal, Bob Costas, Vin Scully and others. The message comes shining through: Berra was much more than a caricature. He is an American icon.
YOGI and beaced.Both born in 1925.

NY Times

Yogi Berra on the Field: The Case for Baseball Greatness

A new documentary argues that the Yankee catcher was not just a malaprop-prone, beloved celebrity but also a legend of the game.

Washington Post

Lots to like (and learn) in the Yogi Berra documentary ‘It Ain’t Over’

Boston Globe

You can observe a lot by watching the Yogi Berra doc ‘It Ain’t Over’

Berra’s larger-than-life persona outbalanced his astonishing baseball achievements. This documentary recalibrates the scales.

"“It Ain’t Over” isn’t just for Yankees fans. Anyone who wants to know baseball history will enjoy this film. Those of us with baseball in our blood, who see the diamond as a sacred place that radiates the chance for redemption, will be profoundly moved. I haven’t cried this much during a documentary in years."

LA Times

Review: ‘It Ain’t Over’ sets the record straight for baseball legend Yogi Berra

• Love
Reactions: beaced
See the movie fellas.
You will not be disappointed
Just watched it on Amazon prime
Absolutely awesome.
Loved it well done great footage.
And he was out!
The Cone perfect game, on Yogi day. Joe Girardi Crying
The fact your Dad caught the first pitch with
Joe Girardi’s glove
Just unbelievable
Well done great tribute to your Dad and your
Family

Finally saw this documentary on a plane last night. Excellent documentary. Very heartwarming.

I saw it on a plane this weekend also and after seeing it I really can't believe that he was not part of the greatest living ball player ceremony. What really made Yogi special is that he transcended baseball. He is an icon.

Reactions: socaldave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT