ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nets Trade Kevin Durant: Report

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The Brooklyn Nets are reportedly trading All-Star forward Kevin Durant to the Phoenix Suns in exchange for Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson and Jae Crowder, as well as four first-round draft picks and "additional draft compensation," sources with knowledge confirmed to the Athletic's Shams Charania early Thursday (February 9) morning.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The Nets are trying to salvage what they can out of a lousy situation. I guess they are doing as good as they can getting something in return for chronically disgruntled and miserable players.

I'll give the homer Nets take:

The worst place to be in the NBA is a team stuck 7th through 10th in your conference. Just sitting on a treadmill not going anywhere.

This is actually really good. As said above, they are being proactive and not sitting around with a sunk cost.
People did nothing but complain about Kyrie and then Durant's big extension at his age. Well now the Nets are off both players.

Kyrie - once he decided he didn't want to return he needed to go. He's a FA after the year and Nets weren't resigning him for max $. Lakers wouldn't trade two 1st round picks because they wanted assurance Kryie would resign for 2 years @ max $. Instead, Kyrie is looking for 4 years @ max. So that trade was off the table. People complaining about not getting the two Lakers picks are woefully misinformed. Yes Dallas 1st shouldn't be a great pick but it's in the future and who knows if Luka is even still there or how the team will look. Never rule out Kyrie tanking them if he resigns.

Durant - He's 34 years old and he's due $47m, $51m and $54m the next 3 years. Yes he's great. When he's on the floor. Since his knee injury he hasn't exactly been the model of health. Note - he's currently injured again. Sure, Suns picks might not be good in the future - but what shape are CP3 and Durant going to be in over the next couple of years?

Ben Simmons - this might be a sunk cost. Or maybe now with the pressure and distractions gone he can get back to his early career success.

Cam Thomas - I mean he's only scoring 40pts a night now. Who needs Durant and Kyrie? We have a former college leading scorer and now he's unleashed (it sounded better in my head).

Finally saw the full Suns picks.
"The Nets are bringing in four unprotected picks from the Suns in 2023, 2025, 2027, and 2029. They get the pick swap option in 2028. "

This year's pick will be bad.
But are we sure CP3 and Durant are both healthy and productive in 2025 and beyond? I wouldn't bet on it.
Nets don't have control of their own picks (Rockets get them or swap options). So they won't tank next year outright. They'll still be trying to improve the team as best they can.

I'll give the homer Nets take:

The worst place to be in the NBA is a team stuck 7th through 10th in your conference. Just sitting on a treadmill not going anywhere.

This is actually really good. As said above, they are being proactive and not sitting around with a sunk cost.
People did nothing but complain about Kyrie and then Durant's big extension at his age. Well now the Nets are off both players.

Kyrie - once he decided he didn't want to return he needed to go. He's a FA after the year and Nets weren't resigning him for max $. Lakers wouldn't trade two 1st round picks because they wanted assurance Kryie would resign for 2 years @ max $. Instead, Kyrie is looking for 4 years @ max. So that trade was off the table. People complaining about not getting the two Lakers picks are woefully misinformed. Yes Dallas 1st shouldn't be a great pick but it's in the future and who knows if Luka is even still there or how the team will look. Never rule out Kyrie tanking them if he resigns.

Durant - He's 34 years old and he's due $47m, $51m and $54m the next 3 years. Yes he's great. When he's on the floor. Since his knee injury he hasn't exactly been the model of health. Note - he's currently injured again. Sure, Suns picks might not be good in the future - but what shape are CP3 and Durant going to be in over the next couple of years?

Ben Simmons - this might be a sunk cost. Or maybe now with the pressure and distractions gone he can get back to his early career success.

Cam Thomas - I mean he's only scoring 40pts a night now. Who needs Durant and Kyrie? We have a former college leading scorer and now he's unleashed (it sounded better in my head).
Re: Simmons. Saw an article title that made me laugh as a Sixers fan: Simmons Has No Trade Value Around the League. Look, Harden has some faults, but wow, what a trade for Philly to get rid of that lazy bum.

Re: Simmons. Saw an article title that made me laugh as a Sixers fan: Simmons Has No Trade Value Around the League. Look, Harden has some faults, but wow, what a trade for Philly to get rid of that lazy bum.
Sadly, there is something off with him and I hope he figures it out for his life going forward, not just for basketball.

Sadly, there is something off with him and I hope he figures it out for his life going forward, not just for basketball.
Good point. When he was new in Philly, I thought it was a huge sense of entitlement, but it's likely more. He has some type of chip on his shoulder where he's simply afraid to be wrong, to miss a shot, to be judged. He went through the bout with anxiety, and I think it's clear that he's going to battle that his whole life. It sounds really mean to say it this way, but even knowing all of that, he's just so hard to like.

Reactions: NickRU714
Good point. When he was new in Philly, I thought it was a huge sense of entitlement, but it's likely more. He has some type of chip on his shoulder where he's simply afraid to be wrong, to miss a shot, to be judged. He went through the bout with anxiety, and I think it's clear that he's going to battle that his whole life. It sounds really mean to say it this way, but even knowing all of that, he's just so hard to like.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't enjoy basketball and would rather not play at all. He has probably been labeled a b-ball prodigy his whole life and feels like this is something that he has to do. Throw in a boatload of money (difficult to walk away from) and probably a bunch of people who are financially dependent on him, and this is what you have.

Last edited:

I’ve heard a similar theory from other NBA reporters. Need to forward him the sports psychologist thread someone started the other day.

I’ve also heard a funny theory that he shoots with the wrong hand.

What’s off with Simmons is his head. It’s almost always been off. Nets were going nowhere with oft-injured, 34 year old Durant. Surprised they got as much as they did…but it makes sense for a win-now team missing a piece. Win-Win.

Last edited:

Didn't you used to talk about how a Big 3 was the way of today's NBA? LOL......interesting how perspectives can quickly change and now its "really good" to get rid of sunk costs.

Ultimately....I guess all the NBA "experts" around here were right after all in their prediction.

Durant agrees to a 4 year extension.

Wait, that must be wrong.
I believe the NBA "experts" around here said the Nets had a "2 year window" until Durant and everyone left......

• Haha
Happy to see the Nets fall apart. No Superstar will ever sign there as a free agent now. The draft picks they got won't help them. They truly are finished

The Warriors added KD when they had a super-solid foundation of players they drafted and developed. The Nets, OTOH, built their superstar team on a foundation of quicksand. Hopefully, this is an object lesson for other NBA teams trying to create a superstar team out of nothing.

Didn't you used to talk about how a Big 3 was the way of today's NBA? LOL......interesting how perspectives can quickly change and now its "really good" to get rid of sunk costs.

Ultimately....I guess all the NBA "experts" around here were right after all in their prediction.

Extension signed in August 2021.
Since he signed that extension:
2021-2022: Missed 27 games
2022-2023: Missed 15 of 52 games and with no timetable to return yet.
At a minimum he's not coming back until after the ASG.

If Durant was healthy, then having him at $50m/year is great. One of the best players in the league.
But he hasn't proven to be healthy since returning from his injury unfornatuely.

It's called evolution over time.
Something can be good. But then be bad.
That is where critical thinking and evaluating new variables come into play.
Every team in the league would have signed Durant and Kyrie in 2019.
Nobody knew Durant would be oft inquired or Kyrie was crazy (I think Boston fans knew though from his brief time there).

So now the Nets should have kept injured Durant for 3 more years at $50m and resigned Kryie for a 4 year max?
Just because it seemed like a good idea at one point in time?
That seems like terrible management.

Also, the post quoted talked about how nobody was going to resign with the Nets.
Durant did resign - so yes the NBA "experts" here were wrong.
It's wasn't that nobody wanted to be here.

Kyrie - the Nets didn't want to pay him (rightfully so according to literally everyone).
Durant - he literally resigned for 4 years. But got upset he Nets didn't want to pay Kyrie in the offseason or this week. Additionally he's been injured every year (literally right now he's out).

Extension signed in August 2021.
Since he signed that extension:
2021-2022: Missed 27 games
2022-2023: Missed 15 of 52 games and with no timetable to return yet.
At a minimum he's not coming back until after the ASG.

If Durant was healthy, then having him at $50m/year is great. One of the best players in the league.
But he hasn't proven to be healthy since returning from his injury unfornatuely.

It's called evolution over time.
Something can be good. But then be bad.
That is where critical thinking and evaluating new variables come into play.
Every team in the league would have signed Durant and Kyrie in 2019.
Nobody knew Durant would be oft inquired or Kyrie was crazy (I think Boston fans knew though from his brief time there).

So now the Nets should have kept injured Durant for 3 more years at $50m and resigned Kryie for a 4 year max?
Just because it seemed like a good idea at one point in time?
That seems like terrible management.

From a team Front Office / Management perspective - it can be called critical thinking and evolution....or reassessment of predictive outcomes based on new input.

From a fan perspective (especially a fan who essentially chastised other posters for reading the situation back then correctly).....its called "moving the goal posts".

You seem to be partaking in revisionist history...

Sure - most teams would have taken the risk by signing Durant based solely on his immense talent - but you saying that no one would speculate he would miss time is off base.... he was a 7 footer who relies on athleticism coming off an achillies full tear.....the Nets signed him and he sat for a year because of the injury.....at the time almost everyone was speculating if he could even return to full form.

Also - not sure what you were paying attention to at the time but it was almost universally known that Kyrie, while immensely talented, was also a pain in the ass. He forced his way off of the Cavs, had some issue with LBJ, expressed his love for the Celtics and ultimately forced his way from there as well.

Harden....LOL. Forced his way off the Thunder then forced his way off the Rockets, then forced his way off the Nets.....and now the latest rumor is after being re-signed by the Sixers, he wants to return to the Rockets.

Nets missed an opportunity to get rid of the Simmons headache. Should have insisted Phoenix take Simmons as part of the Durant deal.

From a team Front Office / Management perspective - it can be called critical thinking and evolution....or reassessment of predictive outcomes based on new input.

From a fan perspective (especially a fan who essentially chastised other posters for reading the situation back then correctly).....its called "moving the goal posts".

You seem to be partaking in revisionist history...

Sure - most teams would have taken the risk by signing Durant based solely on his immense talent - but you saying that no one would speculate he would miss time is off base.... he was a 7 footer who relies on athleticism coming off an achillies full tear.....the Nets signed him and he sat for a year because of the injury.....at the time almost everyone was speculating if he could even return to full form.

Also - not sure what you were paying attention to at the time but it was almost universally known that Kyrie, while immensely talented, was also a pain in the ass. He forced his way off of the Cavs, had some issue with LBJ, expressed his love for the Celtics and ultimately forced his way from there as well.

Harden....LOL. Forced his way off the Thunder then forced his way off the Rockets, then forced his way off the Nets.....and now the latest rumor is after being re-signed by the Sixers, he wants to return to the Rockets.

Moving what goalposts?
As you said - everyone (teams and fans) would have taken the chance and signed Durant/Kyrie. Any fan who wouldn't is kidding themselves.
Despite the injury potential, every team was signing them.

The only moving goalposts would be "Durant extension is great" then saying it's not (which I may have done).
I would have given Durant the extention despire the injury risks. Ended up being a bad move. Shit happens.
But you didn't bring up the Durant extension being a bad move.

The point you brought up was me addressing the "experts" was saying nobody was going to resign.
Fact: Durant resigned.
Subsequent fact: The experts was wrong.
They were right about the "run" only lasting a couple years - but not for the reasons they cited (nobody resigns). It was a lucky outcome - correct prediction but for wrong reasoning.

Agree with Harden trade.
That was a move that not everyone would have made. I liked it - mostly out of fan loyalty and had other no choice at the time.
However, still don't think it was as bad as everyone made it out to be.
Jarett Allen was a free agent and signed a $100m contract. Doubtful the Nets were doing that.
The picks to Houston included multiple pick swaps that may never be exercised (already wasted 2 of the swaps in 2021 and 2023 likely).

I'd be more concerned as a Suns fan for a Boston-Nets redux.
They gave away unprotected 1sts (2025, 2027 and 2029) plus a swap (2028) banking on aging CP3 and potentially injury prone Durant. Nets have been down that road before.

I'd be more concerned as a Suns fan for a Boston-Nets redux.
They gave away unprotected 1sts (2025, 2027 and 2029) plus a swap (2028) banking on aging CP3 and potentially injury prone Durant. Nets have been down that road before.
This. The Suns have pretty much just turned into the Nets of the past few seasons.

Hahaha. Jae Crowder to Bucks for FIVE 2nd round picks??? 5??

I usually couldn’t care less about 2nd round picks but this is comical.
Most turn into nothing and just a way to dump a player.
I guess it’s 5 shots at another Jokic but it’s basically a nothing trade.
Why stop at 5? Make it 10 lol

Will help the Nets fill up their G-League roster.

No room on the Nets roster for Crowder and they didn't want to pay him what he's currently earning. The Nets had to take whatever they could get.

Interesting tidbit... Crowder has had a solid NBA career as a 2nd-round draft pick.

Nets missed an opportunity to get rid of the Simmons headache. Should have insisted Phoenix take Simmons as part of the Durant deal.

Who would want Simmons - especially at his salary? Two more years of a near $40m/year contract for Simmo the Savage, Young Socialite, Fresh Prince, Peacemaker, Benny, The Yank, Big Ben, The Wizard of Oz,

One of the more ridiculous trades, though I guess it was for the purpose of dumping salary.

Durant and Irving are unhappy making more than 40 million per season.The Knicks are happy and Brooklyn are down in the dumps,NBA clearly run by elite players .

Suns window of oppertunity was closing and they got desoerate.
Chris Paul is starting to show his age,Ayton was unhappy and Booker probably would have asked for a trade if the team didn't go all out trying to win it all this year.
I think the Nets got the better of deal, but Phoenix might have brought in a championship getting Durant.
But Durant is never happy in the long run and I expect he'll not like Booker being the center of attention and him the sidekick brought in to help Booker lead the Suns on to victory
Same with Booker if Durant becomes the top dog in Phoenix.

Poor Nets fans. Started out the season thinking they were title contenders and now in rebuild mode.

Title contenders back on the table!!!!
Won 5 of 6. Including @Celtics and @Timberwolves.

Just held on to beat #1 Nuggets in Denver!

Bonus: Durant finally returned for the Suns, played 3 games then twisted ankle in pre-game warmup and out at least 4 weeks.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT