ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dodgers GM said if you're rational about every free agent, you'll finish 3rd all the time. The Mets could use one irrational move to get them to the elite, elite level. Right now, there's not a good player left on the free agent market to be irrational.
You are right- there are no good irrational players to go after at this point unless in a trade.

I would say that Springer may have been the best irrational move they could have made. I don't want to be irrational on a Catcher as none of them are Piazza. And Bauer- we tried but so glad that was not the one as that may have f-ed us with deGrom down the road.

At this point- let's go all out and do what needs to be done, even if over paying to sign Lindor/Conforto now.

I'd give the offseason an B+ bordering on A-. Lindor and Carrasco are amazing adds but the Hand thing rubbed me the wrong way. They did strengthen SP depth and added a few bench pieces to round that out. Pen is still scary so can't give it the highest grade.

Bullpen new options:

Joey Lucchesi Jordan Yamamoto Sam McWilliams Aaron Loup Trevor May
Plus some rookies who are probably about as ready as they'll ever be: Szapucki, Kilome, Gilliam, De La Cruz, Dibrell, Megill. The bullpen does not lack for quantity. Quality? We shall see. Plus, there's always Corey Oswalt.

And don't sleep on some of the non-roster signings: Vizcaino, Hunter, Montgomery. Would not be surprised if at least one of them come north.

I'd give the offseason an B+ bordering on A-. Lindor and Carrasco are amazing adds but the Hand thing rubbed me the wrong way. They did strengthen SP depth and added a few bench pieces to round that out. Pen is still scary so can't give it the highest grade.
Got rubbed the wrong way by Hand? It happens, I guess.

But seriously folks... he wanted to be a closer and we couldn't offer that. Could we have overpaid him enough to make him happy? Maybe. But I can understand that's not Alderson's way.

Got rubbed the wrong way by Hand? It happens, I guess.

But seriously folks... he wanted to be a closer and we couldn't offer that. Could we have overpaid him enough to make him happy? Maybe. But I can understand that's not Alderson's way.

Glad you got the joke haha.

Yes it's not Aldersons way under the Wilpons but when we have an open check book and you can bring your team to an elite level you do it. It was a mistake to not budge.

Could be nothing, but I find it very odd that four days later, the Pillar deal hasn't officially been announced yet.

My take is the a BP is always scary. And that is for everyone. Look at the Yankees- a couple of years ago- their BP stood out and was such a strength, all of a sudden, the same group sucked.
We added May/Loup and if Lugo didn't get injured, add them to Diaz who actually looked like an elite Closer again and hopefully a 3 something era Familia, we actually are not in horrible shape.
The guy in the pen that would have made sense and we missed on- Wilson. The other two guys really wanted to close and that is what they got.
But B+ is fair unless we see them lock up Lindor and have it not affect Conforto. They do that- then it becomes an A

My take is the a BP is always scary. And that is for everyone. Look at the Yankees- a couple of years ago- their BP stood out and was such a strength, all of a sudden, the same group sucked.
We added May/Loup and if Lugo didn't get injured, add them to Diaz who actually looked like an elite Closer again and hopefully a 3 something era Familia, we actually are not in horrible shape.
The guy in the pen that would have made sense and we missed on- Wilson. The other two guys really wanted to close and that is what they got.
But B+ is fair unless we see them lock up Lindor and have it not affect Conforto. They do that- then it becomes an A

You're correct bullpens year to year are very difficult to predict. Relying on best case scenarios for everyone is what worries me. Familia and Betances stink wish they weren't in the pen. We could have overpaid for one more guy. Wilson didn't make sense. Hopefully some of the young guys step up though!

You're correct bullpens year to year are very difficult to predict. Relying on best case scenarios for everyone is what worries me. Familia and Betances stink wish they weren't in the pen. We could have overpaid for one more guy. Wilson didn't make sense. Hopefully some of the young guys step up though!
I don't think over paying Hand or Rosenthal would have worked, they want to close.

Since quality is unpredictable from year to year, maybe the best approach is to amass quantity and figure some of them will work out. We have done that, but I agree one more would be nice.

Reactions: Zak57
Yes.
This signing should also have us feeling much better about our Starting depth. My gut tells me that Noah comes back solid to strong as well. So 2nd half of season- if all health- deGrom, Stroman, Carrasco, Noah as 1-4 and then Luchessi, Walker, Peterson available as number 5...We basically have a super Ace and then 3 number 2 guys before you get to number 5...

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Since quality is unpredictable from year to year, maybe the best approach is to amass quantity and figure some of them will work out. We have done that, but I agree one more would be nice.

Agreed but really wanted one more reliable arm that we pretty much knew what we were going to get. Pen might look great in 3 months without another arm but I wanted to hedge.

This signing should also have us feeling much better about our Starting depth. My gut tells me that Noah comes back solid to strong as well. So 2nd half of season- if all health- deGrom, Stroman, Carrasco, Noah as 1-4 and then Luchessi, Walker, Peterson available as number 5...We basically have a super Ace and then 3 number 2 guys before you get to number 5...

We also have to worry about the bumps in innings from prior year. Could be a lot of SP injuries this year so SP depth was paramount and Sandy & Co did a very good job here bringing decent back end options.

From the comments to that article: There are 26 Mets from 2020 who are now gone. 27 if you count Cano, who's technically still here. That is a LOT of turnover.

Other then our shortstops, most of the turnover is depth pieces which on paper we increased talent. Bullpen is as usual the wildcard.

A reputable media source ( I forget which one) communicated that Mets are done with making acquisitions. Only depth and minor league acquisitions for the foreseeable future. I’d still like another reliever like Jeffress which I guess would count as a depth move.

A reputable media source ( I forget which one) communicated that Mets are done with making acquisitions. Only depth and minor league acquisitions for the foreseeable future. I’d still like another reliever like Jeffress which I guess would count as a depth move.

Martino said that.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
There are not any remaining free agents worth signing. The best route for the Mets is through trades now.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
There are not any remaining free agents worth signing. The best route for the Mets is through trades now.
I don't know what some of these guys are smoking...The remaining FA's are minor league contract guys and certainly not guys we need to be going crazy over. Met's have had the best off season we have seen for this team in what, maybe f-ing forever.
Brought is Superstar- brought in solid player in a position of need. Acquired a number 2 level SP - 2-3 solid BP arms and almost a whole new bench of guys. A couple of them could actually be starting for a handful of teams.

We are not perfect but at worst- going into the season in the top 4-5 teams.

So Walker on a three year commitment is better than Paxton and Wilson on one year deals at about half the cost? I hope his arm is sound.

I don't know what some of these guys are smoking...The remaining FA's are minor league contract guys and certainly not guys we need to be going crazy over. Met's have had the best off season we have seen for this team in what, maybe f-ing forever.
Brought is Superstar- brought in solid player in a position of need. Acquired a number 2 level SP - 2-3 solid BP arms and almost a whole new bench of guys. A couple of them could actually be starting for a handful of teams.

We are not perfect but at worst- going into the season in the top 4-5 teams.
In 20/20 hindsight, the only thing I regret is the deal that Realmuto got. I think if the Mets knew that, they would have went harder for JT. Time will tell.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
So Walker on a three year commitment is better than Paxton and Wilson on one year deals at about half the cost? I hope his arm is sound.

Mets have a 3 million dollar buyout after second year. Worse case is two years @ 10 million each. Third year for less if he returns.

Mets announce the Walker signing, and make room on the 40 man by placing Syndergaard on the 60 day IL. Still no formal Pillar announcement.

Agree with you Mets development of players has been terrible.
Terrible?
Alonso
Conforto
Smith
Nimmo
McNeil
are all homegrown excellent players. If the NL had the DH their problems would be solved. Smith is a natural 1B but isn't an outfielder. Alonso has developed into a decent fielder at 1st. Nimmo would be better at LF but he's not a butcher in CF. McNeil is solid at 2b or 3b.
What team has a better group of homegrown players than that?

Terrible?
Alonso
Conforto
Smith
Nimmo
McNeil
are all homegrown excellent players. If the NL had the DH their problems would be solved. Smith is a natural 1B but isn't an outfielder. Alonso has developed into a decent fielder at 1st. Nimmo would be better at LF but he's not a butcher in CF. McNeil is solid at 2b or 3b.
Every time I read about how poor the Mets farm system is, I think of those players. Farm systems rarely produce more than 2 players a year that can make an immediate impact. Farm system ratings are so over blown, and mainly used for trades I feel. Throw in 2 or 3 highly rated prospects you don't have room for, to get a MLB ready, proven player.

Every time I read about how poor the Mets farm system is, I think of those players. Farm systems rarely produce more than 2 players a year that can make an immediate impact. Farm system ratings are so over blown, and mainly used for trades I feel. Throw in 2 or 3 highly rated prospects you don't have room for, to get a MLB ready, proven player.

Mets also traded 4 players in the Lindor trade that they either drafted or were signed as young kids.

Bashing their player development makes no sense. Evidently those people are stuck in the Alex Escobar era

Mets also traded 4 players in the Lindor trade that they either drafted or were signed as young kids.

Bashing their player development makes no sense. Evidently those people are stuck in the Alex Escobar era
To go along the same lines- they also just traded a SS that has mult years as a starter and another SS that was a starter last year. Peterson came up last year as well and performed pretty darn well. So- lets say over that last 5 years they have developed Rosario, Alonso, Gimeniz, Nimmo, Conforto, Peterson, Smith, McNeil

To go along the same lines- they also just traded a SS that has mult years as a starter and another SS that was a starter last year. Peterson came up last year as well and performed pretty darn well. So- lets say over that last 5 years they have developed Rosario, Alonso, Gimeniz, Nimmo, Conforto, Peterson, Smith, McNeil
Exactly. I believe with Cohen now the owner, more money will go into scouting and player development. Throw in the fact, that will include Caribbean players and the farm system will be fine, as it already has produced 6 everyday players currently starting

Terrible?
Alonso
WAS SUPPOSED TO START SEASON IN THE MINORS AND WAS STILL ALMOST SENT DOWN DESPITE GREAT SPRING
Conforto
NOT QUITE SUPERSTAR BUT HAS BEEN CONSISTENT STAR. SHOULDVE BEEN EXTENDED BY NOW COMPARED TO OTHER YOUNG SUPER/STARS IN MLB
Smith
VERY SHORT LEASH (COMPARED TO MATZ AND OTHERS), LOST HIS SPOT. EARNED HIS WAY BACK TO LINEUP HITTING 320 BUT IS STILL HATED BY SOME FOR OFF FIELD VIEWS
Nimmo
HATED FOR BEING AN OLD SCHOOL TYPE PLAYER (WALKS, HITS FOR AVG) NOT HITTING WITH LAUNCH ANGLE
McNeil
DESPITE A BREAKOUT YEAR, METS TRADED FOR A ROIDED UP CANO AND SIGNED A BROKEN DOWN RIPOFF IN LOWRIE

Baseball purist, what's you answer, no Googling the answer .A pitcher has a Perfect Game going, low pitch count, so they let him pitch the 10th inning. Under the Pandemic rules still in effect, a runner is put on 2nd base. The first batter sacrifices him over to 3rd, the next batter flies out to left, hence scoring the run, and he strikes out the 3rd batter to end the inning. Home team gets up, goes out 1-2-3 thus losing 1-0. Does the pitcher still get credit for a Complete Perfect Game pitched even though he gets tagged with the "L"? PS. Sounds like a deGrom start, lol.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT