ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Nico is not being stripped of the C. Jack Hughes is not being traded.

Bringing in size and grit does make sense, but it has certainly been mentioned, and those guys do need to be able to play, the Brendan Smith's, and Kurtis MacDermid's of the world are not going to cut it.
Probably not, but these are the type of things that might help. This team as currently constituted will never win anything.

Smith will be gone but is good on PK. Kurtis is the toughest player in the NHL according to Mike Ruff. Never underestimate the comfort of teammates.

There is more than 1 way to fix this, but it includes accountability and getting the mix right. Right NOW this core reminds me of Montreal when PK Subban was a good defenseman.

To me the fact this team can't win more than 2 or 3 games in a row proves that 1 the mix is not right, and 2. The foundation needs strengthening.

Reactions: goru1869
Probably not, but these are the type of things that might help. This team as currently constituted will never win anything.

Smith will be gone but is good on PK. Kurtis is the toughest player in the NHL according to Mike Ruff. Never underestimate the comfort of teammates.

There is more than 1 way to fix this, but it includes accountability and getting the mix right. Right NOW this core reminds me of Montreal when PK Subban was a good defenseman.
I feel a fare amount of our struggles are due to Jack being injured and having a ton of youth on defense.

The D will mature but Jack needs to get stronger and figure out how to stay healthy.

and while I don’t think Nico should or will have his captaincy stripped i do agree he needs to figure out how to focus the egos of the Hughes brothers. I thought there was a stretch where both of them were way too frustrated and it showed in their play. A less player friendly coach then Ruff should help in this regard.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Nico is not captain material and im not saying hes not liked by the guys but he doesnt really hang out with the guys off the ice. The problem is idk who else deserves the C. They dont really have a natural leader in that locker room.
Disagree. Nico is a good player who does everything you want from a captain. Good offensively, good defensively, good hustle player.

I’ve never seen anything which suggests he doesn’t hang with the guys off ice but I don’t think hanging out with the guys is at all a consideration in team captaincy.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
I feel a fare amount of our struggles are due to Jack being injured and having a ton of youth on defense.

The D will mature but Jack needs to get stronger and figure out how to stay healthy.

and while I don’t think Nico should or will have his captaincy stripped i do agree he needs to figure out how to focus the egos of the Hughes brothers. I thought there was a stretch where both of them were way too frustrated and it showed in their play. A less player friendly coach then Ruff should help in this regard.
YES! While I think Nico is a good 2-way player, sadly he is a quiet leader who doesn't get the respect he should. Apparently this group needs a fiery leader IMO.

I wish this team could bucklesdown and make a run, but they seem allergic to winning streaks. One of the reasons I suggested what I suggested, is because I think the laidback lack of accountability has damaged these guys to a point where I don't see them changing. Bad habits are hard to break.

In closing I'm reminded of the Devils and Pepe Claude Lemeuiex. He not only annoyed our opponents, he often made teammates uncomfortable, always complaining about something, even the music in the locker room. LOL this ingredient is why Lou traded for his brother, before finally getting Claude back.

This bunch has been over cuddled.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-05
Disagree. Nico is a good player who does everything you want from a captain. Good offensively, good defensively, good hustle player.

I’ve never seen anything which suggests he doesn’t hang with the guys off ice but I don’t think hanging out with the guys is at all a consideration in team captaincy.
Yes.

Again, im not saying hes disliked just saying he doesnt really hang out with jacks crew off the ice. Not speculation, I know this for a fact.

Youd want a little more grit and toughness from your captain.

I really dont know anything about the personalities of the team. What I do know is that being a really good player and being a really good leader are two entirely different things, and it's quite common players excel at one and not the other.

The team and its young players severely lacks leadership. and I don't think that's a question given the slow starts, inability to beat bad teams, etc. I'm not saying that's Nico's fault or that he should lose the C but it's a priority that needs to be addressed.

Nico is not captain material and im not saying hes not liked by the guys but he doesnt really hang out with the guys off the ice. The problem is idk who else deserves the C. They dont really have a natural leader in that locker room.

On the ice he’s a phenomenal leader who deserves the captaincy. Probably the only current Devil that should be “untouchable” in a trade.

Silly to say he doesn’t deserve the captaincy cause he doesn’t “hang out” with the guys…

On the ice he’s a phenomenal leader who deserves the captaincy. Probably the only current Devil that should be “untouchable” in a trade.

Silly to say he doesn’t deserve the captaincy cause he doesn’t “hang out” with the guys…
He and Bratt are buddies, see a bunch of off ice stuff with them together. Do the other swiss guys chill too? I don’t know.

Maybe he doesn’t chill with jack but no team is going to have all 20 guys consistently hanging out as a group

Reactions: KK1827
He and Bratt are buddies, see a bunch of off ice stuff with them together. Do the other swiss guys chill too? I don’t know.

Maybe he doesn’t chill with jack but no team is going to have all 20 guys consistently hanging out as a group
Well the other thing to consider is maybe Swiss guys are just “chill” overall as it pertains to personality and style.

He’s neutral. LOL

Reactions: RU-05

Him and Jack have two totally different personalities. Of course they’re unlikely to hang out…absolutely no surprise.

Bratt is his guy.

Devs players are kinda cliquey. Theres like three separate groups of the young guys

LOL at anyone who thinks this team does not need a major overhaul! Well at least the pipedream is over, and it's all about the draft and free agency.

Think back, how many milestones did this team give up, like 1st point etc.? Did this team play 20 games for 60 minutes? I don't think so!

Let this be the lesson, we need some major changes.

This season has been exhausting. I figured they'd regress from the 112 points they put up last year, but not by 40+. That is a total systems failure.

This organization needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. Ownership's focus is on anything/everything but hockey. The much-lauded GM has created a mess with this roster. Yes, he's locked up 5 guys on long-term deals that should be key pillars of their immediate future. However, they legitimately need an entire bottom 6, 2 or 3 defensemen, a goalie and wholesale changes behind the bench. The HC hire is critical. This cannot be bungled or else we waste another 2-3 years of this supposed window we have. The room needs a hardass - whether that's a veteran player or preferably, a HC - this group needs their rear ends kicked. Something just seems off with this group. I'd like to think a new HC helps, but maybe a major shakeup is needed - similar to what they did in trading Sykora after the '01-02 season. Maybe it's Bratt, Mercer, Holtz - not sure.

At the end of the day, they've spent 3 weeks in the playoffs in 12 years. 389 wins in 904 regular season games since losing Game 6 of the 2012 SCF. Enough already.

When Hughes & Co. were firing on all cylinders at the beginning of the season the team looked like it could be unstoppable. But between injuries and other teams playing the body against a soft Devils line up, it was all down hill from there. Wasn’t Jack Hughes the points scoring leader by a mile the first few weeks of the season?

When Hughes & Co. were firing on all cylinders at the beginning of the season the team looked like it could be unstoppable. But between injuries and other teams playing the body against a soft Devils line up, it was all down hill from there. Wasn’t Jack Hughes the points scoring leader by a mile the first few weeks of the season?
He was. And he's still on a 99-point pace (over 82 games) in what many consider a down year for Jack. My beef with him has been the turnovers. He's 20th in the league in turnovers and has played anywhere from 12-15 less games than anyone with more. They need to figure out the plan for him positionally as well. He was never a good faceoff man, but he's basically been stapled to Haula this year since coming back from the injury as a result of being physically unable to take draws. Maybe it's best to move him to the wing.

Look at the results from Harris @ Blitzer ownership, no championships. While Vegas is most likely going to use LTIR again for a try at the Cup, our owners only authorized a 4th round pick. Please sell this team, the fan's know you don't care!

Going tonight as my older one is a Ranger fan and it’s a birthday present.

Not expecting much. We’ll see.🤷‍♂️

Fight Night at MSG! Enjoy the game, maybe Matt Rempe will knock the scared out of this soft Devils team.

Although my thought is Kurtis cleans his clock!

LOL no way to treat a good prospect. I'm sure Holtz gets blamed for the weather. You guessed it, Alexander Holtz is getting benched by Green. Oh yes he is why this team plays without heart and SUCKS!

Interesting I see 10 out there. Probably a bogus report IDK but surprised.

Last edited:
Sign Dawson up! Stupid soft NHL gave the instigator to the wrong guy. It should have been the NYR.

Cheap

Rangers take another run at a Devil, this time Timo. When will this team give it back to them, I wonder.

How many Devils have to be injured before the NYR are made to regret it!

With this crew broadcasting for TNT ( no PK) they mind as well let Sam and Joe take it.

Totally Ridiculous

Still don’t know what the point was at the start of the game?

Are they telling the Devils we’ll get you next year?

Good to see Bratt taking over the game. So much potential...those two assists were things of beauty.

...and heart, will. Screw the wussified NHL for ejecting so many players. It's fitting the game winner came on a ticky tack call giving the Home Blues the PP.

On the plus side the remedy should be clear, and we keep our 1st Round Pick. Now what matters is those lottery balls, although likely the best we get is pick #5.

...and heart, will. Screw the wussified NHL for ejecting so many players. It's fitting the game winner came on a ticky tack call giving the Home Blues the PP.

On the plus side the remedy should be clear, and we keep our 1st Round Pick. Now what matters is those lottery balls, although likely the best we get is pick #5.

I'd trade the pick....we dont need to get any younger. Need NHL ready players. Now.

I'd trade the pick....we dont need to get any younger. Need NHL ready players. Now.
I would as well. Good thinking! In the Metro you need skill YES, but also physicality. Resign Kurtis, but get players that will be able to keep the likes of Tierney and Marino out of brawls. I would try for Zadorov, and a few others like him.

Oh I fire everyone except Sergei Brylin.

Last edited:
I would as well. Good thinking! In the Metro you need skill YES, but also physicality. Resign Kurtis, but get players that will be able to keep the likes of Tierney and Marino out of brawls. I would try for Zadorov, and a few others like him.

Oh I fire everyone except Sergei Brylin.

whole coaching staff needs to go...agree. I'd love Craig Berube.

Again, i've been pretty vocal i think this whole debacle of a season is on the coaches and much less how the roster was constructed. We've shown we can be successful with this core...its on the coaches now.

That also being said, everyone on the roster should have a price. No one is untouchable, and if we get a great deal for anyone, we take it.

The window for the Devils has just opened..

Rangers fan and I do come in peace.

While I think the Devils can use a tad more bulk on the roster, I agree with those who place the blame on the coaching staff. In the arc of the last 3-ish years, how did the Devils perform with Brunette on staff vs without? Look at Nashville figuring it all out late this season. From an outsider’s perspective, it seems pretty simple.

Look how different the Rangers are from last year to this year? Coaching.

Look how different the Devils are from last yer to this year? Coaching.

The loss of Andrew Brunette KILLED the Devils...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT