ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJIT to America East

The travel schedule in the ASUN was awful. Good upgrade for NJIT.
I am always amazed how few Newark NJ athletes show up on the NJIT roster.
Isn’t NJIT basically an Engineering school? Not a lot of easy majors at that school.

You made the medal stand.:ThumbsUp

Thought we were slipping there for a sec.

Also love how in the article about another school there still is an ad to make sure you sign up for all your Rutgers coverage.

newmanexcellent.gif
Someone needs to follow up--mine was the alley oop---someone needs to respond with the slam dunk.

Still waiting for one of the public colleges to pull the trigger and move Football to Division 1-AA and all sports to Division 1. Corona will set the time back a bit, but some of these schools are getting big. If they aren’t there, Rowan and Montclair State must be approaching 25,000. Montclair would need a new stadium. The on campus stadium is basically a very old high school size and I don’t think there is enough land to expand on the present site plus there would probably be some whiny neighbor who would complain about expansion. Maybe over by the hockey arena or track. The MSU gym is small, but there are some Division 1 schools with tiny gyms. I don’t think land would be any issue for Rowan. If I had to bet the ranch, I think Rowan goes first. Don’t know if NJIT has any plans to add Division 1-AA football. No room on campus to build a stadium. Playing at The Meadowlands would only be an option if they got some low low rent from the Jets and Giants. Of course, then you have the expense of busing students off campus.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
Good for them - I know you don't always have a choice - but playing Florida Gulf Coast and North Alabama was never a great fit....

Reactions: RUhobbit
right! even stranger!

North Dakota, South Dakota, Houston Baptist, Texas-Pan American, Utah Valley................and.....wait for it............... Newark NJ
If only Alaska-Juneau or Alaska-Anchorage would have gone Division 1 in basketball !!!

Still waiting for one of the public colleges to pull the trigger and move Football to Division 1-AA and all sports to Division 1. Corona will set the time back a bit, but some of these schools are getting big. If they aren’t there, Rowan and Montclair State must be approaching 25,000. Montclair would need a new stadium. The on campus stadium is basically a very old high school size and I don’t think there is enough land to expand on the present site plus there would probably be some whiny neighbor who would complain about expansion. Maybe over by the hockey arena or track. The MSU gym is small, but there are some Division 1 schools with tiny gyms. I don’t think land would be any issue for Rowan. If I had to bet the ranch, I think Rowan goes first. Don’t know if NJIT has any plans to add Division 1-AA football. No room on campus to build a stadium. Playing at The Meadowlands would only be an option if they got some low low rent from the Jets and Giants. Of course, then you have the expense of busing students off campus.
Rowan’s master plan includes the construction of a 25K seat stadium at some point.

America East members that play football are Maine, SUNY-Stony Brook, New Hampshire, and SUNY-Albany. I think that is it. The other schools in the conference don’t have football. The members that play football in other conferences would probably regret it the first time their fans had to walk through the parking lot at Airport Stadium In Storrs.

wasn't there talk about NJIT merging into the Rutgers system a few years ago?

good for NJIT

a few years back this school had no conference and then went to a conference that had no teams within 100s of miles.

NJ is a hot bed of basketball talent which has helped NJIT get some of the 2nd and 3rd tier players.

NJIT is a really good school so kids that are mid level division 1 prospects that want to go to a good school can choose NJIT over some div 2 or 3 schools of equal academic caliber.

I went to both schools. I do not know if they still do this, but back in the 80s when i was there RU and NJIT had a joint degree program. I went to both schools at the same time and graduated with a degree from both schools. My diploma actually says Rutgers University and New Jersey Institute of Technology on it.

Isn’t NJIT basically an Engineering school? Not a lot of easy majors at that school.

Inasmuch as Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech are engineering schools, sure. NJIT offers several non-technical degrees just like those two, and thus is a comprehensive university in that regard, particularly for the last 40 years or so. It is not a very small school like Stevens, either.

The primary undergrad academic unit and likely still the largest school within NJIT is its engineering school, Newark College of Engineering, which I believe is what its original founding was back in the 1800s and remained what all of NJIT was known as until sometime in the 1970s. Up until then, it was basically an engineering school, but probably not since the 1980s when it started expanding its degree programs beyond traditional engineering, sciences, and architecture.

Good luck to NJ Tech (they should rebrand their athletic programs as such, develop an updated logo or spirit mark to match, etc) in America East.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJIT_1990
Inasmuch as Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech are engineering schools, sure. NJIT offers several non-technical degrees just like those two, and thus is a comprehensive university in that regard, particularly for the last 40 years or so. It is not a very small like Stevens, either.

The primary undergrad academic unit and likely still the largest school within NJIT is its engineering school, Newark College of Engineering, which I believe is what its original founding was back in the 1800s and remained what all of NJIT was known as until sometime in the 1970s. Up until then, it was basically an engineering school, but probably not since the 1980s when it started expanding its degree programs beyond traditional engineering, sciences, and architecture.

Good luck to NJ Tech (they should rebrand their athletic programs as such, develop an updated logo or spirit mark to match, etc) in America East.
Worth noting that Div-III Stevens Tech in Hoboken has significantly terrific ball teams, men & women. Recruiting athletes to Hoboken has improved dramatically the last couple of decades. At Rutgers, we’ve had assistant coaches (men’s hoops, lacrosse) who coached previously for the Ducks.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Worth noting that Div-III Stevens Tech in Hoboken has significantly terrific ball teams, men & women. Recruiting athletes to Hoboken has improved dramatically the last couple of decades. At Rutgers, we’ve had assistant coaches (men’s hoops, lacrosse) who coached previously for the Ducks.

They've come a long way I'm sure. It's such a small school, smaller than many Group 4 public high schools in NJ.

Random aside, one of my HS classmates (now a proud Stevens alum) has often joked that after he sent in his deposit to attend Stevens, during the summer before freshman year, it was either the soccer or lacrosse program that tried to get him to go out for their team, this despite having never played either sport in HS. He had last played youth soccer in 6th grade and lacrosse wasn't even a sport offered in our town or at our public HS. Now, he was naturally 6'3" 210 as a HS senior but not particularly athletic or fit as he had never lifted weights, just genetics. Not sure if/how the coach knew of his physical size but he said he wasn't interested.

They've come a long way I'm sure. It's such a small school, smaller than many Group 4 public high schools in NJ.

Random aside, one of my HS classmates (now a proud Stevens alum) has often joked that after he sent in his deposit to attend Stevens, during the summer before freshman year, it was either the soccer or lacrosse program that tried to get him to go out for their team, this despite having never played either sport in HS. He had last played youth soccer in 6th grade and lacrosse wasn't even a sport offered in our town or at our public HS. Now, he was naturally 6'3" 210 as a HS senior but not particularly athletic or fit as he had never lifted weights, just genetics. Not sure if/how the coach knew of his physical size but he said he wasn't interested.
@Mr_Twister is right as they have made gains there. Specifically for MLAX.

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT