ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting observation from DiComo. The Mets led MLB in "negative WAR" due to injuries. The cumulative effect of the Mets injuries resulted in a negative WAR of 14.04. Fourteen wins! Figure at least half is directly attributable to the deGrom injury. Second in this stat was the Dodgers, with 12.82.

This raises a couple of questions.

1) Should we view this stat with optimism, assuming that there will be a reversion to the mean? Or does it suggest that our medical people and processes are substandard, and we can expect these ugly results to recur?

2) Obviously the Dodgers, with the second best record in baseball, have been able to overcome their injuries. Cohen has stated that the Dodgers are his organizational model. What will it take for the Mets to similarly overcome adversity?
Have Cohen buy the Dodgers and rename them the Los Angeles Mets? 😂

Interesting observation from DiComo. The Mets led MLB in "negative WAR" due to injuries. The cumulative effect of the Mets injuries resulted in a negative WAR of 14.04. Fourteen wins! Figure at least half is directly attributable to the deGrom injury. Second in this stat was the Dodgers, with 12.82.

This raises a couple of questions.

1) Should we view this stat with optimism, assuming that there will be a reversion to the mean? Or does it suggest that our medical people and processes are substandard, and we can expect these ugly results to recur?

2) Obviously the Dodgers, with the second best record in baseball, have been able to overcome their injuries. Cohen has stated that the Dodgers are his organizational model. What will it take for the Mets to similarly overcome adversity?
Team needs winners (as previously mentioned by others in this thread), people who can take professional ABs, etc. Took all of 1/2 inning of watching the Turner, Muncy, etc. ABs in top half of inning 1 of the first LAD game to realize this team was nowhere close.

Putting the on field personnel decisions to the side, Cohen needs to do a total makeover over of the front office, scouting and medical departments. The organization needs a fresh start from top to bottom internally before the on the field issues can be addressed.

Of course Sandy will be staying and making the same decisions that has handcuffed this organization
🙄🙄🙄
If Cohen hires one of the guys he wants, Sandy will not be making any baseball decisions. Of course, that was the plan last year too and it fell through. So we'll see.

Sandy will be making a lot of baseball decisions based on his comments yesterday. Just like Gettleman and the Giants the game has passed Sandy by and he needs to be put out to pasture.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Sandy will be making a lot of baseball decisions based on his comments yesterday. Just like Gettleman and the Giants the game has passed Sandy by and he needs to be put out to pasture.
I didn't get that from his comments at all. What I heard is that he will be making any decisions which must be made before the new POBO is in place. Which hopefully will not be many.

Keep in mind that this will be a late developing off-season, because teams will be unwilling to make long term decisions until a new agreement with the MLBPA is in place.

"David Lennon
@DPLennon
·
16h
Getting an Old Mets vibe from the New Mets lately, and Sandy Alderson’s 2021 post-mortem Wednesday didn’t help. That’s got to change in a hurry. #mets"

Here are the decisions that Alderson will be making:

1) Whether to pick up 2022 option on Kevin Pillar.

2) Whether to make qualifying offers to Syndergaard and Conforto, who are the only Met FA's for which this would be a consideration. My guess is that this decision has already been made - yes to both.

3) Setting the 40 man protected roster in advance of the Rule 5 draft. This will mean exposing some marginal players. Mets have plenty of marginal players to choose from.

4) MAYBE deciding which arbitration eligible players will receive a tender offer. Most will, but maybe a few won't. Ideally the POBO will be in place before this deadline.

As mentioned this will be a late developing off-season. If all goes as planned (I make no promises!), the real action won't occur until long after the new POBO and GM are in place.

Only thing I have left, which will make baseball worth watching still. Big time across the borough. Italian Maloik
c4b7083935989e871d045a6bdb39e873bb9f49b3_hq.jpg

Mets hitting machine kicking into gear at just the right moment!!
Cause as we all know games don’t REALLY REALLY REALLY matter until last weekend of season !!!!!

I'm in Phillies country, so I only have one question: will the Mets play hard against the Braves this weekend if the division race is still going The Padres were demoralized from seeing their playoff hopes vanish, but they played hard over the weekend, even though they lost. Will the Mets do the same?
Are you still worried about the Mets showing up and playing hard against the Braves?

If YouTubeTV and NBC do not agree by midnight, good-bye SNY. Oh well.
It appears they have agreed. What does that mean for the consumer? Do you pay more monthly? This crap better not become like cable where the prices keep rising. By the time you realize it, you're in the same situation as to why you left your cable subscription in the first place.

It appears they have agreed. What does that mean for the consumer? Do you pay more monthly? This crap better not become like cable where the prices keep rising. By the time you realize it, you're in the same situation as to why you left your cable subscription in the first place.
Yay, no Mets games for me today or tomorrow. College football time

Epstein is viewed as unlikely because he may not want the job. He is now a senior exec at a private equity firm which invests in minority stakes in sports franchises. Probably pays better.

Stearns on the other hand is probably interested, but the Brewers owner is unlikely to let him go.

Beane is the favorite. I think the A's would let him go, but would require compensation. They view their GM (name escapes me) as Beane's replacement in waiting. Beane would probably want Melvin as the manager. Whether the A's would let Melvin go is unclear.

For you Alderson haters out there (and you know who you are) know this: If Beane gets the job, it won't be because he's Alderson's guy. It would be because he's Cohen's guy.

I hope this is true but it probably won’t happen as long as Sandy is there. But sure, let’s get Sandy, Beane, and Melvin together and make this Oakland East.

I know this is a different regime but the past admin should’ve gotten Chaim Bloom from Tampa instead of that amateur. Bloom has a Red Sox team who had no business being in a playoff run in a playoff run while the amateur is out of baseball.

I hope this is true but it probably won’t happen as long as Sandy is there. But sure, let’s get Sandy, Beane, and Melvin together and make this Oakland East.

I know this is a different regime but the past admin should’ve gotten Chaim Bloom from Tampa instead of that amateur. Bloom has a Red Sox team who had no business being in a playoff run in a playoff run while the amateur is out of baseball.
SANDY DOES NOT MAKE THIS DECISION. UNCLE STEVE DOES. (And yes, I am shouting.)

IIRC, in his interview Bloom advised the Wilpons that the Mets needed a rebuild, and of course they did not want to hear that. Water under the bridge now of course.

SANDY DOES NOT MAKE THIS DECISION. UNCLE STEVE DOES. (And yes, I am shouting.)

IIRC, in his interview Bloom advised the Wilpons that the Mets needed a rebuild, and of course they did not want to hear that. Water under the bridge now of course.
Let's be serious. It's time to back up the truck and start with a total rebuild. There is logic with trading DeGrom and getting a treasure trove back (especially before the next contract). Probably got to hold on to Lindor due to the price tag.

Let's be serious. It's time to back up the truck and start with a total rebuild. There is logic with trading DeGrom and getting a treasure trove back (especially before the next contract). Probably got to hold on to Lindor due to the price tag.
Why would anyone trade deGrom after he just missed half the season. You are trading him at his lowest point. If you want to rebuild, have him have another start to the year like he did this year and move him then.
Of course Lindor is here to stay. And if you look at how he has been over the past month- it has been pretty damn good. Would love to see them sign Baez, I want him and Lindor up the middle for the next 5 years.
Give Nimmo an extension QO offer to Conforto but don't sweat it if he leaves, at least we get a pick. If he stays- hopefully he plays more like the last month. Maybe his injuries did effect him this year. But make him earn the big pay.
QO to Noah and again, like Conforto- if he leaves, you get a pick. If he stays, he is playing for a big pay check.
Wouldn't mind signing Stro- and need to keep Loup and Lugo
Alonso a no brainer but just about everyone else- move them. I think we could do a nice rebuild and still have a playoff run if it is done right.

And I do not want to be Oak of the east. They do it because they have to. We have Cohen and NYC- let's be the freaking Dodgers of the damn east

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT