ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official unofficial Tour de France Thread

20 kilometers of cobblestones in Stage 5 - very treacherous (took Armstrong out one year)
Cobblestone rides uphill are much easier then downhill sections as speed becomes a huge factor. And if it rains all bets are off like the TT ride Friday. TT bikes are unstable. Amazing so few dumped it Friday on that short cobblestone in to the finish

20 kilometers of cobblestones in Stage 5 - very treacherous (took Armstrong out one year)
lol... i recall.... the tv guys almost seemed relieved.......

"...and! Armstrong has a mechanical! that's tough..but, it's one of the risks............. and byeee...."

The most impressive win in the Tour in years! Wow! Wout Van Aert rode like a man on a mission after 3 straight gut wrenching 2nd place results. By far the best all around cyclist in the world right now.

Reactions: NBHPRU
The most impressive win in the Tour in years! Wow! Wout Van Aert rode like a man on a mission after 3 straight gut wrenching 2nd place results. By far the best all around cyclist in the world right now.
I thought Jasper Philipsen won?

;)

Agree... that was something you haven't seen in decades....... crushing of a Cat 4...... crazy!

11f942ef092c223f51b176f80bb81216

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
I mean to post this earlier.......what the heck happened to Bob Roll?

He turned from goofball Uncle to Granddad in the last 12 months.... that beard is terrible.....

Reactions: 29PAS
I mean to post this earlier.......what the heck happened to Bob Roll?

He turned from goofball Uncle to Granddad in the last 12 months.... that beard is terrible.....
Agree on the beard. Thought John Daly joined the booth lol. However I have to give Bob credit for stepping into Paul Sherwin's spot, after his untimely passing. Paul loved the history of every city the Tour passed through and was excellent passing it along. Bob, not a history buff embraced the responsibility. Part in Paul's memory but mostly, everyone loves it, watching the Tour. He still gets his jokes in but has become a complete professional. He and Phil are a great team and a joy to listen to.

Agree on the beard. Thought John Daly joined the booth lol. However I have to give Bob credit for stepping into Paul Sherwin's spot, after his untimely passing. Paul loved the history of every city the Tour passed through and was excellent passing it along. Bob, not a history buff embraced the responsibility. Part in Paul's memory but mostly, everyone loves it, watching the Tour. He still gets his jokes in but has become a complete professional. He and Phil are a great team and a joy to listen to.
I agree about Bob. To me he has become cycling's John Madden.

When Paul passed I felt like I had lost a close friend.

I agree Roll should lose the beard. He should also lose the "upspeak" but overall, I think he's great. And get rid of Robby Hunter and bring back Adam Blythe on the motorcycle. I also really miss Paul - great commentator and a great person. Way too young.

Van Eart's ride in the last part of Tuesday's stage was impressive. ~37mph on the flats, largely by himself, for about 10k was amazing.

Agree. Sometimes I'll set up my trainer in front of the tv and watch races. Just keeping up with the cadence they ride is tough. And they do this for hours.
Ha - I've done the same thing. I always figured I wasn't the only one.

Reactions: 29PAS
So much fun today! Every day doesn't need to be today.... but more days should be like today!!

I'm one of those guys who thinks the "don't ride hard if some big name has a mechanical" is a silly position to take..these team spend millions to be teams - pit crew and strategy are just as important as driver.... Days like today force teams to race that way....

big ups to van Aert holding onto yellow in-spite of all the chaos
The cobbles may have just done in Primo for good... we shall see
TBH... was hopping to see Neilson Powless in yellow today... great ride

So much fun today! Every day doesn't need to be today.... but more days should be like today!!

I'm one of those guys who thinks the "don't ride hard if some big name has a mechanical" is a silly position to take..these team spend millions to be teams - pit crew and strategy are just as important as driver.... Days like today force teams to race that way....

big ups to van Aert holding onto yellow in-spite of all the chaos
The cobbles may have just done in Primo for good... we shall see
TBH... was hopping to see Neilson Powless in yellow today... great ride
It's funny that all of Jumbo's team many issues were off the cobblestones.
Today was amazing including van Aert's fall, near miss with a team car and his ability to stay in yellow. Powless would have been the first US win since 2006. He could have won the stage too but went solo way too early. He's young, he will learn.
Tomorrow Wout gets to wear yellow in Belgium.

Just a brutal stage today. I don’t think cobbles should be included in the tour. Things are bad enough on the roads, there are just too many ways somebody can be taken out on them. And too bad for Powless. He did go too early.

Reactions: ashokan
It's funny that all of Jumbo's team many issues were off the cobblestones.
Today was amazing including van Aert's fall, near miss with a team car and his ability to stay in yellow. Powless would have been the first US win since 2006. He could have won the stage too but went solo way too early. He's young, he will learn.
Tomorrow Wout gets to wear yellow in Belgium.
Sepp kuss won last year.

So Pogacar takes Yellow in stage 6 and most likely never give it up.
Van Aert extended his lead on the Green Jersey. Mountain stages coming up and something amazing will happen because it always does. It's been an incredible start.

Im not into the Tour that much but this is crazy. Fans fault right? The rider was extremely close to the fans along the side. The fan should've been smarter and more aware of his surroundings. There should be some kind of rope barrier or something.

Im not into the Tour that much but this is crazy. Fans fault right? The rider was extremely close to the fans along the side. The fan should've been smarter and more aware of his surroundings. There should be some kind of rope barrier or something.

yes, 1000% fan's fault... ZERO reason to be in the road EVER.. and the dirt is the road too...
and you shouldn't be on your damn phone or NOT looking at the racers coming TOWARDS you....
and it don't matter what the dumbass next to you is doing... it's your job NOT to get in the way...

has long been a big problem... people who don't know what they are doing...........

given the nature of the race...no they can't have barriers across the entire course...

fa.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Postman_1 and 29PAS
yes, 1000% fans fault... ZERO reason to be in the road EVER.. and the dirt is the road too...
and you shouldn't be on your damn phone or NOT looking at the racers coming TOWARDS you....
and it don't matter what the dumbass next to you is doing... it's your job NOT to get in the way...

has long been a big problem... people who don't know what they are doing...........

given the nature of the race...no they can't have barriers across the entire course...

fa.jpg
Yup, crazy I feel bad for the athletes. All that training wasted because of a stupid fan. Hopefully he heals up fine.

It just kills me when these buffoons face away from the race as it goes by so they can get on the camera recording the race. Just like that idiot last year with the sign for her grandparents.

I did notice that the barriers into the finish began about 2 miles out. I just want to punch in the face the fans that run close next to the riders on these steep climbs. You are a spectator, not part of the event!

Fan/rider crashes happen most years
Certainly fans should be more aware, but if a rider wants to avoid stones by trying to single track the dirt shoulder, he HAS TO KNOW fans will be there
Its a 3500km race with 1000s of fans in various states of behavior all over the place
The fans think they are off-road and they are (and they have a drainage ditch behind them crimping space)
The riders also know they are off main road and seeking an easier ride (the riders before them were on cobbles)
Riders hit dude in yellow first - then wrecks neck on the ginger, then hit dude's foot like a wheel chock
Bike disintegrates like a cheap toy - as rider neck did because only a bike rider breaks neck on such a tame crash (bike riders avoid ALL upper body workouts to keep weight down - they are rag-dolls from waist up - main ijury is broken collarbones).
Fans, rider, route - all a bit at play

39P5Sx5.gif

Very strange occurrence in Saturday's stage when Thibaut Pinot got wacked in the face by a team employee handing out bags in the feed zone. Never saw anything like that before.

Very strange occurrence in Saturday's stage when Thibaut Pinot got wacked in the face by a team employee handing out bags in the feed zone. Never saw anything like that before.
Wasn't his team. And it was right after he fell in the Peloton, going uphill rather slowly.
That was a great finish by Wout Van Aert yesterday. The speed at the end was incredible. Just blew by the Yellow jersey!

I mean....it happens....... but, it was pretty damn bush league.... guy handing out the feed bags (it was another team, not Pinot's) has to know.. you DON'T reach around a rider....... it's like the first thing you learn....

nice breakaway win today by Jungels .... UAE Team Emirates looked good... i didn't think they would all hold-up as well as they did........ hard to see anyone taking back yellow now...

Reactions: WhiteBus
I mean....it happens....... but, it was pretty damn bush league.... guy handing out the feed bags (it was another team, not Pinot's) has to know.. you DON'T reach around a rider....... it's like the first thing you learn....

nice breakaway win today by Jungels .... UAE Team Emirates looked good... i didn't think they would all hold-up as well as they did........ hard to see anyone taking back yellow now...
Not sure that it was wise for Tadej to have the whip out today (upcoming rest day notwithstanding). His main rival's teams are stronger and he has lost a teammate. On Tuesday I expect Jumbo Visma to send Roglic out on a breakaway forcing UAE to work. There are also the teams with designs on mountain stage wins that could provide breakaway support. Then there is Ineos Grenadiers very strong team (as usual) with two legit GC contenders. Pocacar has proven enormously talented and strong but there is a lot of hard racing in the mountains left to go. I am not ready to call it yet.

Last edited:
Not sure that it was wise for Tadej to have the whip out today (upcoming rest day notwithstanding). His main rival's teams are stronger and he has lost a teammate. On Tuesday I expect Jumbo Visma to send Roglic out on a breakaway forcing UAE to work. There are also the teams with designs on mountain stage wins that could provide breakaway support. Then there is Ineos Grenadiers very strong team (as usual) with two legit GC contenders. Pocacar has proven enormously talented and strong but t here is a lot of hard racing in the mountains left to go. I am not ready to call it yet.
will be fun to see.... but it wasn't just one guy setting pace today.. the whole team was there at the end.... i think Emirates showed a lot... They don't need any more stage wins (tho I likely get a 1 or 2 more in the Pyrenees ) I can't see anyone gaining much time on Tadej.

clearly the strategy now for the other teams are stage wins...green and polkadots...

will be fun to see.... but it wasn't just one guy setting pace today.. the whole team was there at the end.... i think Emirates showed a lot... They don't need any more stage wins (tho I likely get a 1 or 2 more in the Pyrenees ) I can't see anyone gaining much time on Tadej.

clearly the strategy now for the other teams are stage wins...green and polkadots...
I think the green is as locked up as much as the yellow.

Wasn't his team. And it was right after he fell in the Peloton, going uphill rather slowly.
That was a great finish by Wout Van Aert yesterday. The speed at the end was incredible. Just blew by the Yellow jersey!
I know - it was a guy from Trek. Should have said a guy from another team.

Wow..some day..........
Covid really is doing damage........... and so are those mountains...

Wow..some day..........
Covid really is doing damage........... and so are those mountains...
Stage racing at its best. Tactics and sh*t happening. It's good to see that there is still a race for the overall.

Last edited:
Stage racing at its best. Tactics and sh*t happening. It's good to see that there is still a race for the overall.
That was one of the most incredible stages in years. Wow so much happened from the beginning to the end!

That really was a great stage. Watching Wout pull that group of chasers up to the other group was impressive enough. And then came Vingegaard. It's nice to see Pogacar is human. Don"t know what's happened today, however.

That really was a great stage. Watching Wout pull that group of chasers up to the other group was impressive enough. And then came Vingegaard. It's nice to see Pogacar is human. Don"t know what's happened today, however.
Pogacar tried to attach several times today but Vingegaard never lost contact with him so no change at the top. Stage was won by Tom Pidcock who in the last year won gold at the Olympics for Mountain Bike, won this year's World Cyclo-Cross Championship and now a win in his first year at the Tour de France up the famous Alpe d'Huez.

That picture they showed of Pidcock and Cavendish together from a while ago cracked me up. Pidcock looked about 12 yrs old, now he wins the Alp d'Huez stage and Cavendish is still racing (not in the tour, I know).

Anybody still watching? Been a great tour so far.

It always amazes me how fast the fortunes of a rider or team can change. I'm halfway through today's stage so don't know if anything has happened after I stopped watching the recording but Pogacar was down to three teammates, not sure how many Jumbo riders are left and all it takes is a rolling water bottle, stupid fan, etc. to change things drastically. Sepp Kuss is doing some great work supporting Vingegaard so far.

Anybody still watching? Been a great tour so far.

It always amazes me how fast the fortunes of a rider or team can change. I'm halfway through today's stage so don't know if anything has happened after I stopped watching the recording but Pogacar was down to three teammates, not sure how many Jumbo riders are left and all it takes is a rolling water bottle, stupid fan, etc. to change things drastically. Sepp Kuss is doing some great work supporting Vingegaard so far.
They did a lot of work for a change in the lead of just 4 seconds.
Wout locked up the Green Jersey as long as he finishes Sunday.

Last edited:
Top 2 sure showed why they are the top 2 today...... good for Pogacar-- but, kinda a hollow victory... seems all but over - barring something totally devastating...

Crazy how much the teams have been devastated this year (covid or otherwise).... you really see how much Domestiques matter.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT