ADVERTISEMENT

OT- One of the great mysteries of the world. Caulk.

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
There must be 1,000 different caulks, non of which list the ingredients. I know that there are many different caulks (but 1,000?) because some are silicone, some are latex, some are rubber etc. I usually use Alex Plus. But today I go to Home Depot and besides the 1,000 caulks there are now two Alex Plus caulks. One says good for 35 years, the other says new and improved and it says good for 40 years. They are both the exact same price and they say the exact same thing- latex plus silicone and exceeds ASTM C834. The new and improved tube does not mention good for siding, the 35 year stuff says good for siding as well as the other uses. What gives? I chose the old 35 year stuff because usually new and improved means not as good as the old. But who knows.

Last edited:
There must be 1,000 different calks, non of which list the ingredients. I know that there are many different calks (but 1,000?) because some are silicone, some are latex, some are rubber etc. I usually use Alex Plus. But today I go to Home Depot and besides the 1,000 calks there are now two Alex Plus calks. One says good for 35 years, the other says new and improved and it says good for 40 years. They are both the exact same price and they say the exact same thing- latex plus silicone and exceeds ASTM C834. The new and improved tube does not mention good for siding, the 35 year stuff says good for siding as well as the other uses. What gives? I chose the old 35 year stuff because usually new and improved means not as good as the old. But who knows.
some caulks are paintable others are not. some are adhesive, others are not. some are UV resistant, O.A.N.... dry/cure times vary, latex (water cleanup) vs. acrylic (need acetone), some adhere to glass, plastic, ceramic, etc. some expand and contract better than others, better in cold, heat, some are fire resistant, just to name a few differences besides color. Oh...and marketing. :)

Extra point, don't worry about your spelling. For the football board, it's your grammar that you should focus on... :)

You're going to make me edit my post because of spelling? I wish there weren't so many spelling teachers on this board.
Just having a little fun giving you a ribbing. Besides, it's not like it's very hard to look up the spelling of a word when you're already at your computer on the internet.

Reactions: Extra Point
Just having a little fun giving you a ribbing. Besides, it's not like it's very hard to look up the spelling of a word when you're already at your computer on the internet.
I know. I was kidding around about spelling teachers. :-) I gave you a like.

Reactions: JQRU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT