ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Proposal for 80 school football Super League

We have been a sleeping giant for 40-50 years
Was thinking the same. For my fellow old timers, who remembers the article in “Inside Sports” magazine (I believe) in either the late 70s or early 80s regarding Rutgers being a sleeping giant. Been sleeping ever since.

Reactions: WasatRutgers
This is a group of people on the outside trying their best to expand the pool large enough that they get included. It's not going to happen. The SEC and Big 10 simply don't need anyone else. If they merged tomorrow, the remainder of college athletics would basically wither and disappear. And that means more money for the SEC and Big 10, not less. Right now, the question is whether the SuperLeague will contain 40 teams or 50 teams. There is no way in hell they are splitting the money 80 ways (no matter how badly Syracuse and West Virginia want a piece).

Reactions: MR RU
This is a group of people on the outside trying their best to expand the pool large enough that they get included. It's not going to happen. The SEC and Big 10 simply don't need anyone else. If they merged tomorrow, the remainder of college athletics would basically wither and disappear. And that means more money for the SEC and Big 10, not less. Right now, the question is whether the SuperLeague will contain 40 teams or 50 teams. There is no way in hell they are splitting the money 80 ways (no matter how badly Syracuse and West Virginia want a piece).
One of the people in that 20 member group is from the MLS and I guess they have some structure where the members own percentages of the league. I don’t know about tv money but as far ownership of the CFB league it was mentioned that higher status programs would own a larger percentage of the league vs lower status programs.

The proposal itself isn’t the issue imo. The key takeaway is the idea that the schools need to get together as a group to negotiate with the players as a group as in some sort of CBA. This is just one group’s stab at that idea.

🤣 that sound you hear in the jet pointed down and power being applied to all engines.

If it is 48 programs…who are those 48? Is RU in that 48?
the "magic number" may actually be 64. Reason - break inventory into groups of 8 or 16 roughly on geography but provide for interplay. That generates sufficient all day inventory across all the major media markets coast to coast and have schedules for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. (Assumes 32 games if all are active, but realistically may include buy weeks so that actual inventory count most weeks could be as low as 24 games for the three days and time zones).

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
this isn't new and it won't go anywhere. this is simply those on the outside looking to become part of the inside as BIG and SEC will form their own and leave everyone else. Told you all, 24 is the magic number and FOX prez saying 48. Those 48 will be BIG and SEC

all expansion now is eyeing 2030 tv deal which Fox has the inside track on

What happens when the 48 need to kick someone out of the B1G or SEC for ND?

• Sad
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
80 schools would be too many - NCAA Lite.
There are too many little fish swimming with the whales.
The more league looks like NFL lite the better.
Its all a budding pro league and a money chase
I don't think even graduations and classes will matter that much in the end.
The little fish and SAs can be "college football" as known

If so I'd like RU left out to play COLLEGE sports please.

Last edited:
Where did you see that I don't remember reading any details about how a split into divisions would happen. It was just high level. Just 7 divisions of 10 and an 8th made up of smaller schools that could be promoted/relegated.

I took a look at the article again and I still didn't see what you mentioned.

Oh oh!!! I can think of some names and memberships for the "divisions". One BIG conference can have 10 teams and another can be made up of say all SE US major teams!

Last edited:
If they ever reevaluate conference membership, schools like Purdue, Northwestern, for example need to worry. Below is last year's winner for BIG viewership averages of over 1mm by Neilsen

Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14.

Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77...UCLA didn't average over 1mm

Looks like we should be worried too.

• Sad
If so I'd like RU left out to play COLLEGE sports please.
If we were left out (and it could happen), I'd have to believe our intercollegiate athletics department would disappear. We'd probably have intramurals all over the place, but the school would stop spending money on sports altogether.

• Sad
The future is a 2 conference model, at least at the APEX of the sport

Given the state of the Premier League these days, that is the last model I'd want to emulate right now. Does a team lose points for recruiting/NIL violations and get knocked into the relegation zone? Or do these non Power 5 teams always have to worry about promotion/relegation?

Given the state of the Premier League these days, that is the last model I'd want to emulate right now. Does a team lose points for recruiting/NIL violations and get knocked into the relegation zone? Or do these non Power 5 teams always have to worry about promotion/relegation?
There are like 12 soccer fans in the country that are obsessed with relegation as a concept (probably because it's European and not American, take from that what you will). The rest of the country DOES NOT CARE about relegation, nor does it see it as a great model for sports. Most importantly, nobody in a sports league (ie, Big 10 and SEC teams who are basically holding golden tickets into what will become the only college sports league) is going to create a system where they can lose their spot to someone who isn't in the league; there is no business reason to this. It's not going to happen no matter how badly the soccer writer at The Ringer wishes it could happen.

There are like 12 soccer fans in the country that are obsessed with relegation as a concept (probably because it's European and not American, take from that what you will). The rest of the country DOES NOT CARE about relegation, nor does it see it as a great model for sports. Most importantly, nobody in a sports league (ie, Big 10 and SEC teams who are basically holding golden tickets into what will become the only college sports league) is going to create a system where they can lose their spot to someone who isn't in the league; there is no business reason to this. It's not going to happen no matter how badly the soccer writer at The Ringer wishes it could happen.
The promotion/relegation part of this proposal didn't apply to any of the former power 5 conferences. It was only for smaller schools...essentially from the G5 where they could be promoted or relegated from the 80 teams Super League. 7 division of 10 were set. Only the 8th division of 10 would be made up of teams from the G5 where they would be promoted/relegated from that 8th division of 10.

It doesn't really matter because this plan isn't going to happen. The biggest takeaway from this is that what has to happen is finding a way for the schools to negotiate as a whole with the players as a whole to get some sort of CBA so then you have some rules/structure/definition.

If we were left out (and it could happen), I'd have to believe our intercollegiate athletics department would disappear. We'd probably have intramurals all over the place, but the school would stop spending money on sports altogether.

Or maybe as was suggested get back to the amateur collegiate model. That would be nice.

Or maybe as was suggested get back to the amateur collegiate model. That would be nice.
that's a nice thought the reality is that the train has left the station. We are never going to back to that model as R1 Tier 1 institution with major athletics, who represents one of 50 states as the it's flagship program

Perhaps we should let all the players become full fledged professionals and play for the UFL.

Let the college teams be fielded by college students and the professional teams be fielded by professionals. I'm sure the kids that would go the pro route and play for the Birmingham Stallions still have a lot of value even if they aren't wearing an Ohio State or Alabama or Notre Dame uniform.

With the exception of the Ivy League, I don't think there will be an amateur collegiate model. My guess is that within 25 years of the formation of SuperLeague, 95% of intercollegiate athletics will disappear (if not more).

that's a nice thought the reality is that the train has left the station. We are never going to back to that model as R1 Tier 1 institution with major athletics, who represents one of 50 states as the it's flagship program
Other places in this thread say folks left behind will play regular amateur college football. I'd rather that then pro tattoo sports without classes who think the school owes those illiterate idiots something.

With the exception of the Ivy League, I don't think there will be an amateur collegiate model. My guess is that within 25 years of the formation of SuperLeague, 95% of intercollegiate athletics will disappear (if not more).
Well we started this abortion the first time. Maybe we can restart it again some day.

• Haha
Reactions: AdventureHasAName
Gee, plenty of schools better get Fbs foorball--Bigeast schools are screwed-- March madness is dead. Reality says all sports power leagues, and right now that's really only the Big and Sec, can control the future. Would you want to be a Uconn . Anyways all this BS talk us a waste of time and just nonsense.

A big nothing burger. B1G, SEC, Big12, UND all refused to meet with these jokers. Only the ACC met with them since they are scared.

Likelihood of this ever happening is slim and none. There is a better chance that the 3 conferences mention above and UND just leave the NCAA before a 80 team super league ever happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT