ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Raiders fire their HC, OC and GM

What a mess. McDaniels is the classic coattail guy that kept getting chances. Fails at Denver, commits to and pulls out of the Indy job (which should have been a HC career ender right there) then is horrible in this job.

Reactions: RUAldo and mikebal9
Disagree. Davis is part of the problem, but the coach's management and play calling and the quarterback's play have been pretty dismal to date.

Disagree. Davis is part of the problem, but the coach's management and play calling and the quarterback's play have been pretty dismal to date.
Bad combination of things.. like Schiano at Tampa Bay. QB doesn't mesh.. there likely players that appreciated the discipline and rigidity of Schiano but they weren't the high profile guys the media were in love with.

As for Raiders.. McDaniels came from Belichick.. who influences Schiano quite a bit.. details details details.. it is said McDaniels film sessions are brutal and QB Carr did not like being called out in front of the team... Gruden used to handle it in his office.. but was brutal as well. Owner Davis was never into Carr.. probably was in love with more downfield throws like his dad... and Carr is very "Christian" as well.. not that I know that played into Davis' thoughts on him.

The roster was not chosen by McDaniels.. add in these style differences.. and not even having a real QB this year.. Garropolo?.. just a bad situation.

Get Gruden back in or clean house with a new HC and rebuild... trading deadline gone.. Riaders apparently "ghosted" at least one team on a deal. Another mistake.. this move should have been made a couple weeks ago and then clean house with trades.

I was a Raiders fan as a kid.. Santa had given me coleco electronic football with "The Mad Bomber" Daryl Lamonica on the cover. Then add in my older brother was a Jets fan.. that was that.. Raiders vs Jets... Raiders dominating Monday Night Football.. I was all theirs..

I lost track of them sometime when they were the LA Raiders.. soon after the NFL invented a rule during a game to hand a Superbowl to the Patriots rather than give on to Al Davis.

It's a bit sad what they have become. Las Vegas should have breathed new life into them.

What a mess. McDaniels is the classic coattail guy that kept getting chances. Fails at Denver, commits to and pulls out of the Indy job (which should have been a HC career ender right there) then is horrible in this job.
Some people are good coordinators, but awful head coaches. Gotta know your limits.

I only wish that the Jets were playing them THIS weekend (or, last actually). I guess we'll have to wait another week for that dumpster fire to settle down a bit.

Bad combination of things.. like Schiano at Tampa Bay. QB doesn't mesh.. there likely players that appreciated the discipline and rigidity of Schiano but they weren't the high profile guys the media were in love with.

As for Raiders.. McDaniels came from Belichick.. who influences Schiano quite a bit.. details details details.. it is said McDaniels film sessions are brutal and QB Carr did not like being called out in front of the team... Gruden used to handle it in his office.. but was brutal as well. Owner Davis was never into Carr.. probably was in love with more downfield throws like his dad... and Carr is very "Christian" as well.. not that I know that played into Davis' thoughts on him.

The roster was not chosen by McDaniels.. add in these style differences.. and not even having a real QB this year.. Garropolo?.. just a bad situation.

Get Gruden back in or clean house with a new HC and rebuild... trading deadline gone.. Riaders apparently "ghosted" at least one team on a deal. Another mistake.. this move should have been made a couple weeks ago and then clean house with trades.

I was a Raiders fan as a kid.. Santa had given me coleco electronic football with "The Mad Bomber" Daryl Lamonica on the cover. Then add in my older brother was a Jets fan.. that was that.. Raiders vs Jets... Raiders dominating Monday Night Football.. I was all theirs..

I lost track of them sometime when they were the LA Raiders.. soon after the NFL invented a rule during a game to hand a Superbowl to the Patriots rather than give on to Al Davis.

It's a bit sad what they have become. Las Vegas should have breathed new life into them.
uh no, Greg was an absolute disaster from day one at Tampa and it's pretty documented. He'll never coach in nfl again

many colleges coaches can't make that transition and he was one. no harm no foul, he's just better at college game

uh no, Greg was an absolute disaster from day one at Tampa and it's pretty documented. He'll never coach in nfl again
Love GS at RU, but in the NFL, this is 100% accurate. He was a disaster. Didn't understand the difference between coaching boys vs men.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

many colleges coaches can't make that transition and he was one. no harm no foul, he's just better at college game
sure, whatever you say.

no, I don't think GS will be an NFL head coach again.

He was NOT a disaster in the NFL. The players were a disaster before he got there. That's why the owners wanted someone like him with attention to details rather than being a "players coach".

Same thing happened at Ohio State. Those "star players" on D did not want to be controlled. they did not want to have to stick to their assignments in a disciplined assignment-oriented scheme. they rebelled. Same as what happened at Tampa Bay.

GS.. correctly identified the QB as being a weak point... but he was a "star' and had friends and the local media had built relationships with teh star QB and his cadre of supporters on the team. Add in more control of the media not being able to just hang out and sniff jocks and they all rebelled. But GW was correct. Josh Freeman floated from team to team after Tampa and ended up with a career passer rating of 77 or so.

Gruden was barely a .500 coach there.. and following him were...

Raheem Morris .354
Greg Schiano .344
Lovie Smith .250
Dirk Koetter .396

Then Bruce Arians fixed things but he needed Tom Brady to do it. .633 And now you got Todd Bowles and he is .471

It wasn't Schiano was a "disaster". The thing your prediction got going for it is that GS is so much better suited to college and to Rutgers and NFL players.. the majority of them.. have been coddled as athletic stars their whole lives. Those that come from other backgrounds and earn their way in.. the very coachable players... those he could coach... but they are a dying breed.

At Rutgers, Schiano can avoid the primadonnas and coach up the driven players. In the NFL, every team will have them. It would take longer than any coach has to use the draft system and free agency to change teh culture to a winning culture.. not without a Tom Brady who brings in a Gronkowski to go along and who can demand things of the players because he is the GOAT.

Love GS at RU, but in the NFL, this is 100% accurate. He was a disaster. Didn't understand the difference between coaching boys vs men.
the stories that came out of there are surreal. From day one there were issues with his style. He lasted 2yrs but it was known midway thruogh season 2 he was probably getting canned. hey, he got 15mm guaranteed for less than 2yrs work

probably not a good idea to have coaches filming players on sidelines during losses to single them out lol

fking mickey mouse $hit

Reactions: T2Kplus20
sure, whatever you say.

no, I don't think GS will be an NFL head coach again.

He was NOT a disaster in the NFL. The players were a disaster before he got there. That's why the owners wanted someone like him with attention to details rather than being a "players coach".

Same thing happened at Ohio State. Those "star players" on D did not want to be controlled. they did not want to have to stick to their assignments in a disciplined assignment-oriented scheme. they rebelled. Same as what happened at Tampa Bay.

GS.. correctly identified the QB as being a weak point... but he was a "star' and had friends and the local media had built relationships with teh star QB and his cadre of supporters on the team. Add in more control of the media not being able to just hang out and sniff jocks and they all rebelled. But GW was correct. Josh Freeman floated from team to team after Tampa and ended up with a career passer rating of 77 or so.

Gruden was barely a .500 coach there.. and following him were...

Raheem Morris .354
Greg Schiano .344
Lovie Smith .250
Dirk Koetter .396

Then Bruce Arians fixed things but he needed Tom Brady to do it. .633 And now you got Todd Bowles and he is .471

It wasn't Schiano was a "disaster". The thing your prediction got going for it is that GS is so much better suited to college and to Rutgers and NFL players.. the majority of them.. have been coddled as athletic stars their whole lives. Those that come from other backgrounds and earn their way in.. the very coachable players... those he could coach... but they are a dying breed.

At Rutgers, Schiano can avoid the primadonnas and coach up the driven players. In the NFL, every team will have them. It would take longer than any coach has to use the draft system and free agency to change teh culture to a winning culture.. not without a Tom Brady who brings in a Gronkowski to go along and who can demand things of the players because he is the GOAT.
whatever u say, you're clueless or willfully ignorant. He was literally run out of town and no agent wanted to bring people to Tampa. Agents went to the owners and said flat out, we're moving our players and blackballing anyone coming here.

his antics are lengendary in tampa for what not to do

oh and he did off the wall bs at RU too. you guys just don't know half of it

"I was a Raiders fan as a kid.. Santa had given me coleco electronic football with "The Mad Bomber" Daryl Lamonica on the cover. Then add in my older brother was a Jets fan.. that was that.. Raiders vs Jets... Raiders dominating Monday Night Football.. I was all theirs.."

All the above, GoodOl', except my older brother and I were both Raiders fans. I can't imagine what would have happened in our house following the "Heidi" game if we weren't both rooting for the Raiders!

@March Hare Oh.. I went opposite brother for all things except Mets. Jets - Raiders, Yankees-Red Sox, Knicks - Celtics, Since I had two Boston teams I took the Bruins for hockey but brother never got interested in hockey... me either, much. Slot hockey.. yeah.. even bought extra metal teams and kept stats of my players. I was Bruins and younger brother took Chicago, mostly. Come to think of it, other than Rutgers.. none of us like the same teams... so much sibling rivalry. Mets notwithstanding... perhaps that's why I also liked the Reds.. the Tom Seaver deal was rough on me.. and the Rose-Harrelson fight.. I supported Harrelson, the smaller guy.

Reactions: March Hare
True. McDaniels once again proves he's not HC material. It worked under Belichick, but that's because Belichick is a disciplinarian. McDaniels has none of those skills. It also didn't hurt having Brady there all of those years. McDaniels was exposed once again like he was as HC with the Broncos.

Reactions: RUaMoose and RUPete
Mark-Davis.jpg

True. McDaniels once again proves he's not HC material. It worked under Belichick, but that's because Belichick is a disciplinarian. McDaniels has none of those skills. It also didn't hurt having Brady there all of those years. McDaniels was exposed once again like he was as HC with the Broncos.
Keep in mind, Belichick chose Brady over.. umm.. Drew Bledsoe.. who was an NFL-caliber starting QB. In a story I read in recalling Schiano's TB stint.. players mentioned how Schiano was a Belichick wannabe.. but Belichick had won Superbowls.. so his "quirks" would be easily ignored. Yeah.. story just reminded me how much those players were responsible for their record and every coach near there at that time failed... despite what support the media gave the players over the coach and owners.

It took Tom Brady to fix things there... players didn't give him any crap when he demanded more from them... because, you know, all the rings. I cannot believe the writer of that list of Schiano's crimes at TB did not realize how bad it made the players look. Schiano wants them to do what the Patriots do... and the players take-away.. and their refusal and mutiny is based on Schiano only coming from Rutgers?

Yeah... I'd guess the Raiders and McDaniels saw a lot of similar situations... and McDaniels has rings as an OC, iirc.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say BB chose Brady over Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe got crushed by a LB on the Jets I believe, can’t remember who, and was out for the season. Brady came in, things clicked, the tuck thing happened and the rest is history.

Reactions: AM ClocksPF
Yeah, huge swing and miss by @DJ Spanky , he's the real problem!

Here's a gem from his bio:
"Ash spent four years (2016-19) as head coach at Rutgers, including a 2017 season that saw the team match its program record for victories in Big Ten play and tie a league win total from 2014."

Love how he said the same thing twice!

yvkjbrv6j6pswhmcxhai.jpg

Note that when talking about his unit's performance "last year" he did not want to talk about or say he saw a team that quit:

The curse of Chucky is what this will be known as one day. The owner, not exactly a chip off of Al's old block, foolishly succumbs to a Daniel Snyder story and fires Gruden and the Raiders have been terrible on and off the field. From Ruggs Vehicular homicide to losing, it has been all downhill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT