ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Random Question- Would anyone ever buy whole or portions of a Wagyu Cow?

bob-loblaw

Senior
Jan 24, 2011
Super OT here - there's a business that some friends are mulling and I'm doing so research for them.

Would you or anyone you know have an interest in purchasing a whole or down to 1/6 of a whole cow for beef? Cows are naturally raised w/o growth hormones, antibiotic-free (except for if illness), local to Central NJ and fed a diet of hay, grass and spent grain from breweries. The cow is a Wagyu Angus cross, with marbling that would grade out at high prime if it was being cut and sold individually. I've been given a t-bone and it was fn magical.

Just trying to get feelers here. Not looking to sell anything. This is a project that probably wouldnt come online until the end of the year. Figured I'd poll the room here, as this board is a wonderful cross section of people locally.

Thanks

So it's what is typically called an 'American Waygu' my wife's bosses husband breeds these. There is a huge market for it but it is not a cheap endeavor.

Reactions: bob-loblaw
Super OT here - there's a business that some friends are mulling and I'm doing so research for them.

Would you or anyone you know have an interest in purchasing a whole or down to 1/6 of a whole cow for beef? Cows are naturally raised w/o growth hormones, antibiotic-free (except for if illness), local to Central NJ and fed a diet of hay, grass and spent grain from breweries. The cow is a Wagyu Angus cross, with marbling that would grade out at high prime if it was being cut and sold individually. I've been given a t-bone and it was fn magical.

Just trying to get feelers here. Not looking to sell anything. This is a project that probably wouldnt come online until the end of the year. Figured I'd poll the room here, as this board is a wonderful cross section of people locally.

Thanks
We have 2 farms in my town that sell shares of beef or pork. They have been doing so for quite a while, so it must be successful. I believe the cows are black angus certified, not wagyu. We have never done this just due to flexibility. There are a few other excellent organic/grass-fed butchers in the area and we use them for meats.

So obviously, like with any business, you need to assess competition.

I find frozen meat doesn't age well despite the claims otherwise.
It has to be used within a few months (2-3) or it gets degraded in many ways

After I moved up here to Maine I became friends with a dairy farmer who raises some beef cattle as a side business.

There is nothing special about the cattle except they are grass fed, but I have to say I would have trouble ever going back to buying beef from a supermarket. I already increased my order for July from 1/4 to a 1/2.

Thanks
I’m not a fan of frozen beef so I never did it, but I had many friends in the hunterdon county area that did with beef and pork. Not sure doing it with such a high end meat would be that attractive. I know two of the guys who either had their freezer die or were without power long enough that they lost a few $100 worth of meat.

Thanks
No but venison chops and rabbit is a yes. Need these items in regular stores

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts.
I’m not a fan of frozen beef so I never did it, but I had many friends in the hunterdon county area that did with beef and pork. Not sure doing it with such a high end meat would be that attractive. I know two of the guys who either had their freezer die or were without power long enough that they lost a few $100 worth of meat.
I've always shunned frozen beef as well. The steak I had was frozen. I took it from the freezer to sous vide to a 900 deg grill to sear. It was the best steak I've had in mos.

No but venison chops and rabbit is a yes. Need these items in regular stores
Can you expand on vension chops? What type of cut? I am naive in the world of deer.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts.

I've always shunned frozen beef as well. The steak I had was frozen. I took it from the freezer to sous vide to a 900 deg grill to sear. It was the best steak I've had in mos.

Can you expand on vension chops? What type of cut? I am naive in the world of deer.
I had a neighbor who cooked me a deer shoulder sous vide and I can say it was one of the best pieces of meat I’ve ever had.

After I moved up here to Maine I became friends with a dairy farmer who raises some beef cattle as a side business.

There is nothing special about the cattle except they are grass fed, but I have to say I would have trouble ever going back to buying beef from a supermarket. I already increased my order for July from 1/4 to a 1/2.
Organic, grass-fed meats are the way to go. Once you try, you will never want to go back.

I buy my beef 1/4 side, pork 1/2 pig local no shots only rabies shots for breeders. And I hunt Deer normally 2 per year.
I put in my orders in the spring and get meat in the fall.
we get local chickens and local eggs.
It all has better flavor and is fresh.
I have no problems with meat vacuum sealed properly, from lasting 6 to 12 months.

Thanks
We found that you have to build a clientele over time. It's tough to get people to leave the comfort/ease of a supermarket for a superior product. But once they do, they always comeback for more. Also, we have never had a problem with vacuum sealed and flash frozen. Bringhurst meats down in Berlin, NJ does an excellent job, but you have to book out 6 months for slaughter.

Make sure to have a back up generator. I spoke to a person who did this and lost power during Sandy. Lost a lot of beef when they were without power for 5 days.

we get local chickens and local eggs.

This week I was reading about fresh eggs having a coating that allows them to go unrefrigerated.
Egg shells are impermeable with the natural coating and toxic things can't get inside.
Store bought eggs have the coating washed-off and and can go bad fast

On submarines they put Vaseline on eggs and that mimics the natural coating.
The eggs can be left out of fridge for weeks.

Last edited:
I do regularly buy 1/2 of a regular cow. It lasts us about two years and it's great. I can't afford an American wagyu. I typically spend 1800 or less for the half. I'm assuming American wagyu is closer to 3-4x that minimum.

This week I was reading about fresh eggs having a coating that allows them to go unrefrigerated.
Egg shells are impermeable with the natural coating and toxic things can't get inside.
Store bought eggs have the coating washed-off and and can go bad fast

On submarines they put Vaseline on eggs and that mimics the natural coating.
The eggs can be left out of fridge for weeks.
Eggs left out are fine however temperature plays a major role in the embryos development, there are other considerations to consider, like is it winter and the heat is on, near the oven or stove on the counter...
Lastly after washing the eggs you have ta do the sink er float test in a bowl of water, sink eat float throw out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT