ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Replacement Routers for Fios

lighty

All American
Aug 13, 2003
There was a thread a few months back about buying a router to use with Verizon Fios. I was wondering what routers people had bought.

I've got a strong Fios plan, but using an old router (Actiontec MI424) that needs to be upgraded. I'm looking to expand the WIFI reach more than anything. Have wifi being used for two phones, a laptop and ipad -- rarely all at once. And have two computers using the router it via ethernet all of the time.

Any suggestions for a new router? Or should I just rent the one Verizon offers?

Thanks.

Heres a relevant thread and a place you should look.. DSLREPORTS

I'm sure if you make a post there people will respond well.

As for routers in general.. if you are looking for WIFI coverage.. the latest ASUS (I have a 4 antenna one.. but no FIOS) or NETGEAR Nighthawk (the one with something like 6 or 8 antennas) does well. Each costs about $300

Reactions: lighty
As I understand it, you can rent OR buy a FIOS router from Verizon. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear I read that on the Verizon site somewhere.

And I would recommend using a router from Verizon. I had used my own Motorola router back when I had Comcast. And every once in a while, Comcast would make some changes in their protocol or something and my speeds would drop or I'd lose my internet connection completely every once in a while (until I figured out I needed to reboot it for it to work properly). I could be completely off-base, but I suspect if I had a ISP provided router, I wouldn't have had those problems.

I switched to Verizon 5 years ago and rent a FIOS router and have not had a single problem since.

Last edited:
There was a thread a few months back about buying a router to use with Verizon Fios. I was wondering what routers people had bought.

I've got a strong Fios plan, but using an old router (Actiontec MI424) that needs to be upgraded. I'm looking to expand the WIFI reach more than anything. Have wifi being used for two phones, a laptop and ipad -- rarely all at once. And have two computers using the router it via ethernet all of the time.

Any suggestions for a new router? Or should I just rent the one Verizon offers?

Thanks.
Why not just upgrade to their better quantum gateway router? http://www.verizon.com/home/MLP/router.html

Why not just upgrade to their better quantum gateway router? http://www.verizon.com/home/MLP/router.html

Yeah.. that's quite a claim they make...

"The FiOS Quantum™ Gateway, our smartest router yet, has a Wi-Fi reach that extends farther than our older routers. "

Who cares if the wifi reach extends farther than their older pieces of crap? You want a good router..

If you are at all technical, I think buying the best available router is the way to go. Those manufacturers are in the business of satisfying your router needs and will stay on top of firmware updates and bugs and so on.. whereas Verizon might be more interested in controlling your use of the FIOS bandwidth.

here is an alarming amazon review..

"I bought this router from Verizon direct with high hopes but was very disappointed so far.

First off, the z-wave feature rumored isn't included in the router. Maybe there will be an add on one can purchase later at additional cost, but the router as shipped from Verizon doesn't have it.

After connecting it to Verizon fios, you will notice some very strange and unacceptable behaviors, for example, when you login to your account on Verizon website, from any where, say from your office, you will see the wifi id & password you set up for the router at home displayed on the website in clear text. So Verizon just pull that information from your router, transport that to them, the display it all in clear text without encryption.

After you get over that, you will find the router doesn't allow you to upgrade firmware on your own, instead Verizon will push the upgrade to the router at a time of their choosing without any notice. This might sound like a good idea, until you find when that happens, the router not only resets on its own, it also wipes out all or part of your customized settings. In one update Verizon reset my router to factory default, in anothe Verizon wiped all parental control and IP reservation settings.

Navigating router's user interface is like walking through a mental junk yard, but if you are already familiar with their older actiontec router, you will find them very similar.

I understand some of my comments are related to Verizon fios service and not just on the router hardware itself, but given how Verizon interact with the router, it's hard to separate the two. If you want an AC router on its own without Verizon fios service, there are much better choices than this one."

I have also read that it does not support DMZ (allowing you to chain routers if necessary to extend coverage into dead zones in your home).

Here is a thread talking through using an outside router alongside your actiontec router (which seems to be needed for TV). Basically, you use the actiontec router ONLY for TV... and turn off the routing part in menus.. and you need your new router "blessed" by verizon as a legal device to have on the cable and then use that for routing.

linky

Be sure to read the 5th pist down on that page by vivfax with the canadian flag avatar.. simplifies the original helpful post

GOR, I read some of those reviews, which is why I started this thread. I rented my last one and I moved over from DSL to Fios as soon as it became available so I've had it a while. I've easily paid for my router three or four times by now. That's why paying $200-300 doesn't sound so bad. I can't imagine the router not lasting several years at the worst.

Actually thinking I might just try a WI-FI extender and see how that goes. When I test my internet speed, the router still seems to be doing well -- it's just the signal doesn't reach as far as it used to. An extender might be a cheap ($20-30) alternative that does the trick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT