ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Athletics Announces Construction of Fred Hill Training Complex

Scarlet_Scourge

Hall of Famer
May 25, 2012
PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers Athletics is set to move forward on the construction of the Fred Hill Training Complex, Director of Athletics Julie Hermann announced late Thursday. Named after Hall of Fame coach Fred Hill, the indoor facility will serve the needs of the RU baseball and softball programs.

An official groundbreaking ceremony will be held at the site Oct. 24, the morning of the Rutgers football game versus Ohio State.

“We are thrilled to be able to complete fundraising for this key building for baseball and softball,” Hermann said. “We are so indebted to our supporters who made this possible. This is the first time in a while at Rutgers that we have been able to build a key training complex for our athletic teams.”

“This facility is a game-changer,” head baseball coach Joe Litterio said. “It is going to make a difference for us in a number of ways. We can now tell recruits we have this – it is no longer just a drawing. That makes an impression. Our team can now put in the work in a building dedicated to baseball and softball at any time. I want to thank the donors and alumni who helped make this possible. This is a very important project for us.”

“It’s really exciting that our donors got together and there is excitement around softball and baseball,” head softball coach Jay Nelson said. “I think the more important aspect of this is our student welfare. We had to work around all the schedules in the RAC, not just basketball, but all the other teams that need an indoor space. The facility also puts us closer to being on an even par with the other programs in the Big Ten, but, more importantly, it shows to our recruits the commitment of our athletic department to the softball and baseball programs and to the rest of the Olympic sports.”

The $3.3 million project – all privately raised – is expected to be located in the parking lot currently situated between Bainton Field and the RU Softball Complex. Spanning 22,500 square feet, it will be equipped with state-of-the-art pitching machines, numerous batting cages, bullpen mounds and a full turf infield. The construction timeline will be announced in the upcoming weeks.

Read more here: http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/082115aaa.html

Great, great news! It will be exciting to get a shovel in the ground. Hopefully the first of many groundbreakings for our AD.

The $3.3 million project – all privately raised

Great to hear long time baseball coach Fred Hill being honored like that and JH was able to get enough private donations to built the training center bearing his name.
fred-hill-ru-steve-hocksteinjpg-a08812af23d0e68b.jpg

Just read the comments to the NJ.com article on this. A few snipers took shots at her and the facility. Some of them post here.

Those people will NEVER EVER be happy, they are still upset that the former AD no longer works at Rutgers. Enough about them.

This is a huge deal, the last time anything new was built the freaking bubble! To get plans in place and raise that money fairly quickly is impressive. Even more so for two sports that don't always get a lot of attention. This bole well for future upgrades and plans.

Those people will NEVER EVER be happy, they are still upset that the former AD no longer works at Rutgers. Enough about them.

This is a huge deal, the last time anything new was built the freaking bubble! To get plans in place and raise that money fairly quickly is impressive. Even more so for two sports that don't always get a lot of attention. This bole well for future upgrades and plans.
Exactly! So what if it is not the fanciest indoor training facility. The price is right and baseball and softball will now have an indoor facility. Good job RU!

I look at it like this. We've never shown much history of raising much money even on this low level scale for athletics, frankly the university as a whole lags as well up until recently. So I'm glad to see this money raised for an Olympic sport. I'm not a baseball fan but I'm glad to see that there's a priority to raise the level of the whole athletic department not just the revenue producers. Of course football/MBB lead the way as they should but we can't let everything else just die on the vine.

I'm not too informed but it seems like a functional facility, it doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles. It's not as if we have money coming out our ears so I think a smart use of limited dollars is the right approach for the Olympic sports. If a donor wants to step up and add bells and whistles by all means but save that I think this was a smart approach.

It's nice but I won't read too much into how this will translate into raising funds for the athletics renovation/practice facility. That's really fundraising on a whole different level. I'm hopeful that this bodes well but not really sure.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Huge. Waiting for the JH snipers to say something snarky...

Im waiting for guys like Knightmoves and RU66 to comment since they seemed to doubt Julies ability to raise money for this projecet...this is a milestone for Rutgers since this school has not been able to get much out of its donors besides for football. For Julie it shuts up her detractors and gives some evidence that she is out there working hard.

Im waiting for guys like Knightmoves and RU66 to comment since they seemed to doubt Julies ability to raise money for this projecet...this is a milestone for Rutgers since this school has not been able to get much out of its donors besides for football. For Julie it shuts up her detractors and gives some evidence that she is out there working hard.
Who gives a shit what they think? This is great news. No need to provoke when you know you're not going to change their attitude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT