ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Law Prof Who Says Pedophilia Is Not a Crime

BigDaddyLane

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2007
I know its Rutgers Camden but the very fact that Rutgers is named in the article irritates me! SMH
mad.r191677.gif

Pedophilia not a crime....

You're selling the material a bit short, intellectually. Was that intentional? Or did you not actually read the article?

But you are basically saying, hey, let's take it easy on pedophiles.[/B]
Well, but I am not saying that about sex offenders. I say that they[/I] remain responsible for their conduct. We need to treat pedophiles before[/I] they offend. People see the word "pedophile" and think "sex offender." People choose to sex offend children. They do not choose to be pedophiles.

Germany is ahead of the curve. They have a large scale treatment program called Prevention Project Dunkenfeld, which is probably the first large scale treatment project that also includes non-offenders. They have billboards everywhere: "Do you have attraction to children in ways that you shouldn't? You are not responsible for your attraction, but you are responsible for your behavior."

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/10/06/pedophilia-not-a-crime-rutgers-margo-kaplan/#k18oB6bL3QX69pZI.99

This post was edited on 3/23 10:25 PM by jay_hq

1. This article is 5 months old.

2. Pedophilia is not a crime, unless you act upon it. Just like it's not a crime to be a drug addict.

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

And the Ratchet clicks once more to the left?
No. People who are criticizing the author are just showing off their ignorance.

Distinction between having the inclination & acting upon it - similar to -

A pyromaniac has an abnormal fascination with fire but, the fascination alone is not criminal - an arsonist is a criminal

Diversity of opinion in academia is a horrible thing and we, as proud members of Generation X, must do our part to curb it.

Originally posted by RUSumSGReturns:
There's diversity of opinion in academia? Really?
Sure there is. Not many professors would take the position of my colleague Professor Kaplan. Regardless of what you think of her proposal, she is quite courageous to take such an unpopular stand. The Rutgers community ought to be proud of her.

Originally posted by BigDaddyLane:
I know its Rutgers Camden but the very fact that Rutgers is named in the article irritates me! SMH
mad.r191677.gif
I don't understand your point, so you rather pedophiles rape children instead of getting treatment before they commit crimes?

Originally posted by jiggscasey:
Originally posted by RUScrew85:

And the Ratchet clicks once more to the left?
No. People who are criticizing the author are just showing off their ignorance.
But let's never miss an opportunity for a paranoid Luddite to turn a complex legal or psychological issue into another polarizing political grindstone.

Maybe it's the same professor who called me a baby killer when I wore my Air Force ROTC uniform to class in 1968.

And You're Not a Murder Until You Actually Kill Someone

If the Mental Health establishment has now classified Pedophilia as a Disease, then why not classify Murderer's, Rapists & Assault as Diseases as well.

At least Alcoholics (i.e. in the Disease model) are inflicting their wounds mostly upon themselves (physically).

Everything is a "Disease" ....even posting on this board or replying!

MO

Re: And You're Not a Murder Until You Actually Kill Someone

Sounds like more excuses for bad behavior and not be accountable . We have an entire generation of people not taking accountability for their actions .

Originally posted by RUbacker:
Sounds like more excuses for bad behavior and not be accountable . We have an entire generation of people not taking accountability for their actions .
this

Originally posted by RutgersMO:

If the Mental Health establishment has now classified Pedophilia as a Disease, then why not classify Murderer's, Rapists & Assault as Diseases as well.

At least Alcoholics (i.e. in the Disease model) are inflicting their wounds mostly upon themselves (physically).

Everything is a "Disease" ....even posting on this board or replying!

MO
I'm not a mental health professional, but I would guess that some of those things fall under violent sociopathy. It would be nice if there was a way to recognize symptoms of this and introduce treatments (such as participation in sports or more social activities) before they turned into killers.

There is a world of difference between recognizing a symptom and treating a disease versus holding someone accountable and punishing them for a criminal act. Thoughts themselves are not illegal - but you do the crime, you do the time. This professor tries to make a clear distinction between the two. Those who are upset about her comments simply haven't read and understood what she is saying.

If there is a way for someone who has a mental health issue to seek help before committing a crime (and thereby reducing the rate of crime and victimization) I don't see what is so wrong with talking about it.

To me, the author sounds more concerned with the proactive prevention of harm than the retroactive justification of it.

Originally posted by lawmatt78:
To me, the author sounds more concerned with the proactive prevention of harm than the retroactive justification of it.
Assuming Matt is an attorney it pains me to say I am in agreement. It also demonstrates how poor reading comprehension is across this board membership, which is pretty embarrassing.

This post was edited on 3/26 8:15 AM by DaveSNJ

Originally posted by lawmatt78:

this

Clearly, there is a legal distinction between predilection and actions. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would steal a lot of money if they were given the chance, but either never get the chance or act upon it. Nobody would certainly think that they should be prosecuted for having only lousy ethics.

However, it seems to me that many pedophiles actually believe that they are giving these children "love" and that they are willing participants. This is not the same thing as many rapists who usually hate their victims. At least this is what I have taken from the way many of these cases are presented legally.

But, no matter what their motivations, both are clearly culpable for their actions. Once it goes from fantasy to reality, you have victims and a crime.

"We need to treat pedophiles before they offend. People see the word "pedophile" and think "sex offender." People choose to sex offend children. They do not choose to be pedophiles."

There can be some truth to that. A lot of abusers and molesters were themselves molested as children. The shock and upset of violation and trauma can do strange things. A persons "critical functions" or reasoning/perceiving awareness can be suspended. The door to the subconscious and psyche is left open. Impressions of events, nature of violation etc gains access to the subconscious which can latter overcome the intellect (as with flashbacks - which are "trapped" impressions). A trauma conditioned "false" self will seek to reinforce itself via similar experiences - like a salmon returning to spawning ground.

I knew of a guy who as a kid was abused in the woods by an older guy who used fire as a ritual during abuse. The kid grew up to be an arsonist - his sexual nature got tangled up with the fire present in trauma.

Don't expect much from "therapy". Meds and chit chat don't really fix that. Acting like "treating" pedophiles before they offend is not only wrong but can make things worse. Like alcoholism and AA, a deeper identity impacting approach is best - a counter-trauma.

Its also worth mentioning that many studies show homosexual males have been abused at much higher rates (35-45% not unusual) than others. Abused people often develop an attraction or aversion to trauma source. A male abuse by a male can go on being compelled to be drawn to other males (salmon thing again). This is also a reason homosexual males abuse at higher rates (yes its true despite the PC denial) . Often victims block out trauma events and can't even recall being abused. I doubt Ms RU Prof will carry on with other aspects of her insights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT