OT: Search for Unclaimed Property (Money) In New Jersey

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
This is legit from New Jersey

Type in your name to see if you have unclaimed money / property

I'm getting almost $200 back in unclaimed money + interest

RE: Claim ID 10xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting the New Jersey Unclaimed Property Administration.

Your claim has been received and is being processed. You will be contacted via email if additional information is needed. Otherwise, a check in the amount of $198.00, plus interest, will be mailed to the address you provided within 2-3 weeks. You will receive a separate letter identifying the funds included in your payment.

It is our goal to reunite unclaimed property with its rightful owners. Please encourage your family and friends to visit: https://unclaimedfunds.nj.gov/app/claim-search to search for unclaimed property in their name.

Sincerely,

Claims Support Team
Unclaimed Property Administration
unclaimedproperty@treas.nj.gov
609-292-9200

Your claim has been received and is being processed. You will be contacted via email if additional information is needed. Otherwise, a check in the amount of $198.00, plus interest, will be mailed to the address you provided within 2-3 weeks. You will receive a separate letter identifying the funds included in your payment.

It is our goal to reunite unclaimed property with its rightful owners. Please encourage your family and friends to visit: https://unclaimedfunds.nj.gov/app/claim-search to search for unclaimed property in their name.

Sincerely,

Claims Support Team
609-292-9200

Thanx will try it

Juat ran through this and found 3 properties under my deceased grandmother's name, so I filed claims. It doesn't say how much they are, and I honestly don't even know if I'm entitled to anything. At the very least, I can share the info with my one living aunt who may benefit from this.

Reactions: miket007
Juat ran through this and found 3 properties under my deceased grandmother's name, so I filed claims. It doesn't say how much they are, and I honestly don't even know if I'm entitled to anything. At the very least, I can share the info with my one living aunt who may benefit from this.
The executor of her estate might have to file the claims

Reactions: retired711
I was uncomfortable with the link, at the top. So, i went to the official nj.gov site. Yep, led me to that exact spot. Even had a claim in there.

this is a true story. I befriended an elderly client with no family, as she was in great need of help. We did a lot to help her get her affairs in order. We also got her appropriate living arrangements and helped her in a variety of other ways.

I then filed an unclaimed property search because I noticed she had many parcels of Mail that were unopened dating back many years and among those were tons of dividend checks from stock positions she had. These were never cashed. Turns out I was able to recover for her over $500,000 in assets from unclaimed property. I was also aware that her brother passed away about 10 years prior. The unclaimed property search also showed he had assets which we recovered that were well over $500,000.

Incidentally when my client passed away, she had no family. She had four nieces from whom she was long estranged.
Imagine how they felt when I called them to tell them they were each inheriting around $600,000 from their long-lost aunt.

These things really do happen sometimes!

It is legit. Also google unclaimed funds for NY and do the same thing- couple of years ago I found 7 claims for myself. Ranged from $51 to $1750. Came from things like old mortgage- a dental claim and a few other things.

Sincerely,

Claims Support Team
609-292-9200

Just received my check!

Just did this and it says that I should receive a check for $526 in 2-3 weeks. Thanks for posting.

Nothing for me but my parents' names came up. I filed for my mom while I was visiting today, she's getting $674.79. They want a copy of her license and social security card though.

Definitely legit and something a lot of people probably aren’t aware of. After a certain amount of time unclaimed assets are turned over to the state for safe keeping.

Searching for unclaimed property for a major company was a task I was given as a summer Intern about 10 years ago.

I started searching my close family members and ended up coming across unclaimed insurance $ from my grandmom for a few thousand.

I did this a while ago and was due some $200 from my Rutgers days. Apparently Verizon-predecessor, Bell Atlantic owed me a refund, but in order to cash in, I had to show proof that I had an account back then at that address. I don't keep records 25 years, so no Bell Atlantic bill, no rental lease, etc. Sucks.

It has my parents’ property and a place I used to rent. Don’t see any parcels or checks outstanding. Interesting…

Sincerely,

Claims Support Team
609-292-9200
Thank you for posting this.

I hope it's OK to revive this thread after so much time. A question: what is the interest rate that NJ pays on unclaimed property? Perhaps one of you knows: I cannot find the answer on its website or by googling,

Good luck. My brother said it involved too many hoops for a claim we found He gave up after awhile
Not sure of the process in NJ but in NY- they had 5 different uncliams...when you log in, they wont tell you how much or who it is from...

all you needed to do was just submit your claim on the funds. My largest was 1700 for a dentist bill that was over charged- had 4 others, just submitted a clan and they all come withing 2 weeks of the claim

All in all-in -all I got about 5k -back

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
Not sure of the process in NJ but in NY- they had 5 different uncliams...when you log in, they wont tell you how much or who it is from...

all you needed to do was just submit your claim on the funds. My largest was 1700 for a dentist bill that was over charged- had 4 others, just submitted a clan and they all come withing 2 weeks of the claim

All in all-in -all I got about 5k -back
In NJ, you can see what the items are before you file. The paperwork for most claims is not that difficult -- basically, you need to prove that you're the person entitled to the money and furnish proof of your social security number so that they can send you a 1099 at the end of the year if the unclaimed property accrued more than $10 of interest. The more difficult claims are claims on behalf of deceased individuals.

Reactions: newell138
In NJ, you can see what the items are before you file. The paperwork for most claims is not that difficult -- basically, you need to prove that you're the person entitled to the money and furnish proof of your social security number so that they can send you a 1099 at the end of the year if the unclaimed property accrued more than $10 of interest. The more difficult claims are claims on behalf of deceased individuals.
That’s what we were trying to claim Deceased aunt and my brother was the executor of her estate and still near impossible

That’s what we were trying to claim Deceased aunt and my brother was the executor of her estate and still near impossible
What your brother needs to do is to go to the county where her estate was probated and get a letter of administration. That should be submitted with her death certificate, proof of your brother's identity, and proof of his social security number. If the estate ever got an employee identification number, it would be good to submit proof of that, which can be gotten by calling the IRS. Only you and your brother can decide whether the amount of money is worth doing all this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT