ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Season beach tags

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Some of the prices these towns charge are insane. A few over $100, but most seem pretty reasonable in the $20-$30 range. I recall Belmar back in the 80's was around $30 they have gone up to $80. Looking back $30 in the 80's was pretty high.
Island Beach State Park continues to be the best bargain and IMO nicest beach in NJ

@knightfan7 $95 in Manasquan!

Some of the prices these towns charge are insane. A few over $100, but most seem pretty reasonable in the $20-$30 range. I recall Belmar back in the 80's was around $30 they have gone up to $80. Looking back $30 in the 80's was pretty high.
Island Beach State Park continues to be the best bargain and IMO nicest beach in NJ

@knightfan7 $95 in Manasquan!

Yup. Just a couple years ago it was $80. Someone has to pay for the new Beach Hdqtrs. Doesn't every less than a mile long beach need at least 2? What I feel is way out of line is $12 for a day badge and $20 to park in town lots on the weekend.

Neither here nor there, but if I'm not mistaken, there is no other state in the country that does beach tags at all. So calling any of this a bargain is hard for me. I guess you can tell I'm not a native...

Neither here nor there, but if I'm not mistaken, there is no other state in the country that does beach tags at all. So calling any of this a bargain is hard for me. I guess you can tell I'm not a native...
Because the other States pick up the tab.

Trenton loves the tourism and money the beach towns bring in. But they want them to pay for it.

Yup. Just a couple years ago it was $80. Someone has to pay for the new Beach Hdqtrs. Doesn't every less than a mile long beach need at least 2? What I feel is way out of line is $12 for a day badge and $20 to park in town lots on the weekend.
And the lifeguards, clean up crew, badge checkers (the extra eyes on the ground), etc.

All of their wages have gone up.

As you noted though, the real money is in the parking.

And the lifeguards, clean up crew, badge checkers (the extra eyes on the ground), etc.

As all of their wages have gone up.
Of course. They're $10 more than last year. Hey, it doesn't affect me as much as mine went up $5. I figure I go 3 days a week, sometimes 4 so the cost per is minimal.

At least you can eat on the beach.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Of course. They're $10 more than last year. Hey, it doesn't affect me as much as mine went up $5. I figure I go 3 days a week, sometimes 4 so the cost per is minimal.

At least you can eat on the beach.
Not mine.

You can keep the seagulls down the block. Thanks. LOL

Don't worry, Senior Citizens get to pay anywhere from 10% to 55% of the adult season price.

I love the Jersey beaches but I haven't been on the beach when badges are required even in the summer. I still surf and fish from the shore in the morning and have never been asked for a badge.
I'm not a sun bather type of person and sitting on the beach all day is boring as hell to me. Rather be doing something. To each their own.
Some beaches allow fisherman on the beach without a badge but not nearly as many as years ago.

Reactions: MikeR0102
We’re talking seasonal, right?

$100/90 days = little more than a $1 a day.

Seems fair to me.

Anything less, which most are, and you’re getting a steal.

I guess a lot of the pricing depends on seasonal sales too. Some towns like Bayhead likely not having too many day trippers and seasonal sales are the homeowners for the most part. Where as a town like Seaside or Wildwood has lots of daytrippers who are offsetting the cost. OCNJ generates about $4MM each year and who knew that lifeguards get a pension?

That's two "newish" beach HQs. A second one at Sea Watch is ridiculous, IMO.

I guess a lot of the pricing depends on seasonal sales too. Some towns like Bayhead likely not having too many day trippers and seasonal sales are the homeowners for the most part. Where as a town like Seaside or Wildwood has lots of daytrippers who are offsetting the cost. OCNJ generates about $4MM each year and who knew that lifeguards get a pension?
In Los Angeles the beaches are under the jurisdiction of the LA County Fire Department.

In 2020 Manasquan's beach revenue was over $3 million but that was inflated due to Covid keeping people from traveling. It was in the $2.5 million neighborhood in 2021. I don't know how the town fared in '22 or '23. Most of the drop was in daily badges.

Reactions: newell138
Since we are talking about beaches -- what do folks think about driving on the beach (I realize it should be a separate thread).

Atlantic City has done a pretty good job with blocking vehicular access. But based on what I see on fall/winter/spring beach walks, people drive onto the beach in Ventnor and Margate and get their rocks off speeding around the place. And sometimes I see (again, in Ventnor) people drive onto the beach to unload their vast store of beach necessities and sometimes actually leave their vehicle parked there.

Not a fan. I know it's a thing in some places, such as Brigantine. But I hope this isn't a growing fad (I'm sure it is, since more and more people are a) bringing giant piles of stuff onto the beach b) are not fit enough to carry much of anything for more than a few feet and c) don't really care if it bothers anybody else).

• Sad
Reactions: MikeR0102
$30 to $80 over the course of 40 years doesn't seem so drastic.

How much are single-day badges?

Since we are talking about beaches -- what do folks think about driving on the beach (I realize it should be a separate thread).

Atlantic City has done a pretty good job with blocking vehicular access. But based on what I see on fall/winter/spring beach walks, people drive onto the beach in Ventnor and Margate and get their rocks off speeding around the place. And sometimes I see (again, in Ventnor) people drive onto the beach to unload their vast store of beach necessities and sometimes actually leave their vehicle parked there.

Not a fan. I know it's a thing in some places, such as Brigantine. But I hope this isn't a growing fad (I'm sure it is, since more and more people are a) bringing giant piles of stuff onto the beach b) are not fit enough to carry much of anything for more than a few feet and c) don't really care if it bothers anybody else).
Daytona Beach in Florida long has had parking on the beach.

In OC its allowed in the offseason but you have to have a permit, not that anyone is ever checking for them

Someone has to pay for the lavatories and outdoor showers and lifeguards (and badge checkers and parking enforcement attendants) …

Reactions: Knight Shift
Someone has to pay for the lavatories and outdoor showers and lifeguards (and badge checkers and parking enforcement attendants) …
How many Jersey beaches have those restroom facilities? In my experience, not very many -- and that is what makes Island Beach State Park so attractive to those of us who aren't too far away.

How many Jersey beaches have those restroom facilities? In my experience, not very many -- and that is what makes Island Beach State Park so attractive to those of us who aren't too far away.
A lot of them from Atlantic City to Cape May.

Reactions: fsg2
As I mentioned earlier, the costs incurred by each municipality, all the ones in Monmouth County do.

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
We’re talking seasonal, right?

$100/90 days = little more than a $1 a day.

Seems fair to me.

Anything less, which most are, and you’re getting a steal.

It is BS. It is like charging for air.

They already collect millions in taxes for a SEASONAL property with almost zero kids in the schools and very little crime. In most towns the two main costs are schools and cops and those expenses are very low at the shore.

If you think it is so reasonable then why dont they charge themselves in the offseason? Not only does the beach go back to being free in the off season they also eliminate parking meters in the off season. Two sets of rules.

We already paid millions in taxes.

All those services go back to being free in the off season when the locals would have to pay for them. Funny how that works. The tourists pay for the services IN season and OUT of season while the locals pay zero.

We would not need badge checkers or parking enforcement attendants if it was free.

Reactions: batts

They already collect millions in taxes for a SEASONAL property with almost zero kids in the schools and very little crime. In most towns the two main costs are schools and cops and those expenses are very low at the shore.

If you think it is so reasonable then why dont they charge themselves in the offseason? Not only does the beach go back to being free in the off season they also eliminate parking meters in the off season. Two sets of rules.
Strategy is to make the tourists pay, not the residents (as much). Which is why you get the break on seasonal badges.

lots of extra resources needed in the summer beyond lifeguards... cops, EMT's, public works, etc

We already paid millions in taxes.

All those services go back to being free in the off season when the locals would have to pay for them. Funny how that works. The tourists pay for the services IN season and OUT of season while the locals pay zero.

We would not need badge checkers or parking enforcement attendants if it was free.

how are the locals paying zero? We have to buy a tag and also property taxes. I don't think 1-2% of assessed value is all that cheap.

Atlantic City beaches are free but many here wouldn’t go there.

I was at Asbury Park and remembering paying about $5-$7 for a daily pass but wondered about whether the city residents could easily afford passes even seasonal passes. Maybe it’s free for low income residents and I don’t know.

Last edited:

You're kidding right?

Reactions: PaKnight

Because no one goes?

Or enough to keep them open…lifeguards, beach maintenance, bathrooms, etc.

Parking is still free in Spring Lake. All year. Come on down. But leave your picnic basket on the boardwalk.🙂

Atlantic City beaches are free but many here wouldn’t go there.

I was at Asbury Park and remembering paying about $5-$7 for a daily pass but wondered about whether the city residents could easily afford passes even seasonal passes. Maybe it’s free for low income residents and I don’t know.
AP has had go fund me’s/fundraisers to allow low income residents free beach badges. I believe they can access them through the Boys and Girls Club in town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT