ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Seattle

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
Here for work, cleaner than I thought and not as many homeless as I figured I'd see.
Lot of hills and the weather has been surprisingly nice.
Any recco's on additional things to do, or restaurants?

So far, I've done the following:
- Pike's market (saw the fish get thrown)
- Starbucks at Pike's (line was 50 deep so I didn't go in)
- Gum wall at Pike's
- Walked along the waterfront

- Mariners game
- Mariners stadium tour
- Climate Pledge Arena tour

- Space Needle
- Chihuly Glass garden

Ate at a French restaurant on the water last night (not my call but the females in the group insisted on it)
Doing the Seahawks stadium tour today

Anything else you guys recommend? Restaurants, things to do, seeing University of Washington, etc.?

BTW, connected in Minneapolis, and it was snowing like crazy. Aside from my disdain for that nonsense, especially in April, I'm always impressed with the local airport's love for their respective teams

Boston has banners in the airport celebrating championships, and Minny has a Twins specific restaurant (I think o'hare has one for the Hawks if I remember correctly).
I wish EWR had this but it's tough when two teams split the market

If you have the time(2 hours) take the boat ride that goes through the lock. It is a one way trip, as it either leaves you off at Lake Washington or down by the water near the Ferris Wheel depending on which way you go.

Here for work, cleaner than I thought and not as many homeless as I figured I'd see.

- Gum wall at Pike's

- Mariners game
- Mariners stadium tour

- Space Needle
- Chihuly Glass garden

Ate at a French restaurant on the water last night (not my call but the females in the group insisted on it)

Anything else you guys recommend? Restaurants, things to do, seeing University of Washington, etc.?

BTW, connected in Minneapolis, and it was snowing like crazy. Aside from my disdain for that nonsense, especially in April, I'm always impressed with the local airport's love for their respective teams

Boston has banners in the airport celebrating championships, and Minny has a Twins specific restaurant (I think o'hare has one for the Hawks if I remember correctly).
For a guy who is trying to retire early, you certainly don't seem to be working that hard on this "work trip".

For a guy who is trying to retire early, you certainly don't seem to be working that hard on this "work trip".
I omitted the work aspect (meeting with accounts, calls, setting up conference), as without that (e.g. the true reason for being out here), there's no job, and as a consequence, no early retirement (or any retirement for that matter)

Pike Brewing, Elysian Brewing and Fremont Brewing are worth checking out. Carlisle Room, Dahlia bakery, and Palace Kitchen are all very good Tom Douglas restaurants. There are a couple of brew pups in the Sodo area near the stadiums which are good and the international district is close if you want good Asian food. If you can hit Woodinville there are about 130 wine tasting room in addition to Chateau Ste. Michelle. Would recommend Sparkman, DeLille, Long Shadows, Mark Ryan which are all across the road from Chateau Ste. Michelle. There is also the Woodinville Whiskey Company which has tastings and the Hollywood Tavern next door for food. Watts Brewing in Woodinville as well. Barking Frog, Purple, and Heritage restaurants in Woodinville also really good. In Seattle in Capitol Hill check out Canon Bar. They claim to have the largest collection of spirits in the Western hemisphere and it is definitely worth checking out.

There is a German restaurant just up the street from Canon that is good too. Also, catch a baseball or softball game at UW if they’re at home. Great way to check out the athletic facilities which are really nice.

Was there early last summer - here are a few other recommendations

• Ivars Clam chowder by the waterfront was among the best I've had
  • Starbucks Reserve Roastery
  • Salt n Straw Ice Cream (Near Starbucks Reserve - exotic flavors if you're into trying different things)
  • Museum of Pop Culture (I'm not into museums but this was a pretty cool place)
  • Bar / Restaurant scene near T-Mobile park was pretty good
  • Din Tai Fung Restaurant - Asian Fusion/Dim Sum

- Gum wall at Pike's

- Mariners game
- Mariners stadium tour

- Space Needle
- Chihuly Glass garden

Certain media outlets lie about what's going on in American cities. Travel to any of the ones they hate on and you can see it.

In terms of celebrating teams, Both Terminal A and C at EWR are loaded with Block Rs. That's all that counts IMO.

Take a ferry to the Olympic Peninsula… head to Olympic National Park and hurricane ridge . Take the white knuckle ride to Obstruction Point. You’ll thank me afterwards.

Take a ferry to the Olympic Peninsula… head to Olympic National Park and hurricane ridge . Take the white knuckle ride to Obstruction Point. You’ll thank me afterwards.
Hurricane Ridge road was actually closed today due to snow! But when open would definitely recommend along with Mt. Rainier. A bit more off the beaten path North Cascades NP is also amazing.

Certain media outlets lie about what's going on in American cities. Travel to any of the ones they hate on and you can see it.

In terms of celebrating teams, Both Terminal A and C at EWR are loaded with Block Rs. That's all that counts IMO.
Yeah, beware of those right wing NPR media outlets lying about the crime and other problems in Seattle. And Portland makes Seattle look like Disney World. A cousin was murdered there 3 years ago in a club parking lot, and the police are so under-resourced, they still have no useful leads.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUforester72
Yeah, beware of those right wing NPR media outlets lying about the crime and other problems in Seattle. And Portland makes Seattle look like Disney World. A cousin was murdered there 3 years ago in a club parking lot, and the police are so under resources, they still have no useful leads.

Seattle had 71 homicides in 2023. Seattle's population is 737k.

Portland had 74. Portland's 653k.

OKC had 75. OKC's population is 681k.

Which one does the media talk about? Maybe I missed the threads on OKC on this board. I guess something about it is different that would make our very crime conscious posters not want to talk about it?

NJ is 47th in violent crime...so really for us who live here, going anywhere but New England increases our crime risk, but that rarely gets mentioned either, mysteriously!

I have a place in Seattle area as I am out here about 100+ nights a year on business. I don't think the Salmon are running currently but the locks at Ballard when the Salmon are running is really cool. May be a fun visit even if they aren't running.

Here are two restaurants worth trying:

Pink Door: Very good Italian. Not far from Pike's Market
Dough Zone Dumpling House: Similar to Din Tai Fung which someone recommended above which is also very good

Three expensive restaurants if that is in your budget:

Sushi Kashiba: Very, very difficult to get a reservation (lots of folks waiting on line when it opens trying to get a seat at the Sushi bar which is likely best option) and super expensive, but it is one of the great sushi restaurants in the US
Aqua El Gaucho: On the water. Great views and very good food
Aerlume: Same as above Great views good seafood

One more thing: if you are a seafood eater make sure you order/try either the Salmon or Halibut. Both fishes are local to the region and you will certainly taste the difference versus the East Coast versions.

Last edited:
Seahawks tour was solid

I get brand loyalty w Starbucks but the city needs some Dunkin

Lot of potential and I’d imagine June - August is great but the weather would get to me

Asked a few Uber drivers where “Chaz” was and they were not amused

I actually wanted to see the historic 3 block site where the city allowed this rag tag group of degenerates to actually take over for a hot minute

When I pressed them on the basis of forming that new country, the peaceful resolution to dissolve that sovereign nation and the specifics of the signed peace treaty, things got akward quickly

I loved Seattle

Go to the Whale Wins. It's a great seafood restaurant

If you cross paths with John Stanton, the owner of the Seattle Mariners, tell him that the fanbase thinks he's a cheap-@$$ lying POS, and we all want him to sell the team.

I loved Seattle

If you cross paths with John Stanton, the owner of the Seattle Mariners, tell him that the fanbase thinks he's a cheap-@$$ lying POS, and we all want him to sell the team.
T Mobile (Safeco) is a cool park
Only thing I'd change is making the right field upper deck a bar/restaruatnt/louge/hangout area like the Rockies have

Reactions: rucoe89
Seahawks tour was solid

Lot of potential and I’d imagine June - August is great but the weather would get to me

I actually wanted to see the historic 3 block site where the city allowed this rag tag group of degenerates to actually take over for a hot minute

When I pressed them on the basis of forming that new country, the peaceful resolution to dissolve that sovereign nation and the specifics of the signed peace treaty, things got akward quickly
The city needs some Dunkin?!?! I’m no coffee snob but that brew is downright horrible

- Gum wall at Pike's

- Mariners game
- Mariners stadium tour

- Space Needle
- Chihuly Glass garden

Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. Great trip across the sound. Grab lunch or a glass of wine in Bainbridge drop off (walkable). Take a nice ferry ride back.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I loved Seattle

John Fischer (A’s) says “hold my beer”. 😎

Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. Great trip across the sound. Grab lunch or a glass of wine in Bainbridge drop off (walkable). Take a nice ferry ride back.
Yeah that's one thing I regret not doing
First time there so i wanted to do a lot in the actual city, but next time i'm doing that for sure

Reactions: RC1991 and rucoe89
Museum of pop culture is can't miss.
By the needle and the glass art exhibit.

There also is a natl. Park exhibit on the gold rush - soso but still worth a look.

Was there pre COVID and had issues with homeless - was chased into a store to take cover

Museum of pop culture is can't miss.
By the needle and the glass art exhibit.

There also is a natl. Park exhibit on the gold rush - soso but still worth a look.

Was there pre COVID and had issues with homeless - was chased into a store to take cover
Wish I would have done MOPC, as well as the underground walking tour

Reactions: RC1991
With more time and if a desire to explore beyond the city, Mt. Rainier is worth a visit and to do some hiking. Also, whale watching around the San Juan Islands depending on the season. Remember seeing mostly orcas.

So it’s not a desolate wasteland like in blade runner as portrayed on CE board? Head scratcher.

Interesting. It's kinda like a board of people who don't leave their homes have no idea about what is happening outside of their bubbles! Fascinating!

Seahawks tour was solid

There are a lot of east coast transplants that agree with introducing Dunkin’. If someone eventually opens a franchise they will do very well. There are good alternatives to Starbucks. Mercury coffee, Top Pot donuts, are 2 of the larger local chains. Find a coffee shop that serves Stumptown or Caffee Vita coffee. Both are really good. June - August makes up for the rest of the year weather wise but the worst of the gloom is late November - early Feb.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Oooh do the Seattle history walking tour. The city has a very cool origin story

Surprised no one said Inside Passage. It's a speakeasy-style bar accessed from Rhum Club (I think). You need reservations. I tried stopping by around 7:30 on a weeknight and it was a 45 min wait for a single seat at the bar. It's a themed bar with heavy nautical theming and a giant octopus hangs from the middle of the ceiling. Most people call it a tiki bar but there aren't any tikis inside. Great craft cocktails.

Mt Rainier looks deceptively close but I think it’s like 60 miles away on a straight line (90 mile drive). It's like being able to see a mountain located in the Poconos from New Brunswick or NYC.

Mt Rainier looks deceptively close but I think it’s like 60 miles away on a straight line (90 mile drive). It's like being able to see a mountain located in the Poconos from New Brunswick or NYC.
Yes, it looms over everything to the south on a clear day. The Wonderland trail loop which goes around the mountain is over 90 miles long and has a lot of elevation gain though I think the highest point passes near the Sunrise visitor center at around 6900 ft. It's a big mountain! Not quite as dramatic is the view of Mount Baker to the north.

I went on a tour at the Boeing facility many years ago. I don’t know if it’s available publicly since it was part of a Customer Advisory Board event they were hosting in Seattle for a mutual vendor. If available to public, I’d recommend checking it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT