ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shane MacGowan of The Pogues Dies at 65

Any of these R.I.P. threads I always hope there is a Rutgers, or some kind of NJ, connection. Roy Lichtenstein-like. I’m guessing none here for Mr. MacGowan.

Any of these R.I.P. threads I always hope there is a Rutgers, or some kind of NJ, connection. Roy Lichtenstein-like. I’m guessing none here for Mr. MacGowan.
Well.... Shane MacGowan was Irish and William J. Hill was a Rutgers player in the November 6, 1869 game. He was born in Ireland. Hill became a clergyman. MacGowan didn't.

Also, those two have never been in my kitchen.

Fairytale is my favorite Christmas song. He was a great song writer. Used to play them at the Golden Rail sometimes. About as Rutgers as I could get.

A sad day for rock and roll, as the Pogues were a great band and Shane was a great frontman with that incredibly expressive voice. Thought I'd tell (retell?) a personally special story involving Fairytale of New York, IMO the best rock and roll Christmas song ever written. The song is melodic and haunting and gritty all at the same time (which is really hard to do) and the vocal duet by Shane and Kirsty MacColl is perfect.

Anyway, I was working in Ireland (at our Merck factory in Clonmel) through the holidays in 1993 and got out of work on Christmas Eve around 8 pm and of course went to the pub with a few of my Irish coworkers and after having a pint or three, Fairytale came on the soundsystem. The entire bar sang that song and my Irish friends were stunned that I was also belting out all the words - I gained a little bit of cred with them for that. It certainly sucked being away from home at that time, but that magical moment made up for it just a little bit.

Reactions: RuSnp
Best version of “dirty old town“ ever. Better than the original, better than the Dubliners.

Reactions: RU848789
I saw them once on St Patrick's Day in NY. Mixed drinks were a dollar more than pints including Long Island Ice Teas. Long night and rough morning. Great show. They brought Kirsty MacColl's daughter on to sing Fairytale. Great show.

Last edited:
Best version of “dirty old town“ ever. Better than the original, better than the Dubliners.
Never knew it wasn't a Pogues song, so it'll always be a Pogues song for me and it's a great rendition. Not unusual for pre-internet songs, at least for me, since when they came out, I generally just heard/bought the "new" song, whereas now that kind of information is simply so much more readily available. Every once in awhile I find out some old song I love was a cover - often it's when I hear the "doubletakes" on SiriusXM's Underground Garage, where a few times a day they'll play a cover song and the original.

A sad day for rock and roll, as the Pogues were a great band and Shane was a great frontman with that incredibly expressive voice. Thought I'd tell (retell?) a personally special story involving Fairytale of New York, IMO the best rock and roll Christmas song ever written. The song is melodic and haunting and gritty all at the same time (which is really hard to do) and the vocal duet by Shane and Kirsty MacColl is perfect.

Anyway, I was working in Ireland (at our Merck factory in Clonmel) through the holidays in 1993 and got out of work on Christmas Eve around 8 pm and of course went to the pub with a few of my Irish coworkers and after having a pint or three, Fairytale came on the soundsystem. The entire bar sang that song and my Irish friends were stunned that I was also belting out all the words - I gained a little bit of cred with them for that. It certainly sucked being away from home at that time, but that magical moment made up for it just a little bit.

Ha! That's Matt Dillon in the video (police officer). Never realized this before!

Never knew it wasn't a Pogues song, so it'll always be a Pogues song for me and it's a great rendition. Not unusual for pre-internet songs, at least for me, since when they came out, I generally just heard/bought the "new" song, whereas now that kind of information is simply so much more readily available. Every once in awhile I find out some old song I love was a cover - often it's when I hear the "doubletakes" on SiriusXM's Underground Garage, where a few times a day they'll play a cover song and the original.
That’s interesting. While I don’t like the other versions as much, you should certainly know them. Interestingly, the composer’s other well-known song was done by Dionne Warwick – the first time ever I saw your face.

Original/composer:

Dubliners:

Shane MacGowan, the brilliant but chaotic songwriter who as frontman for the Pogues reinvigorated interest in Irish music in the 1980s by harnessing it to the propulsive power of punk rock, died on Thursday. He was 65....

continued at:
Who from the What?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT