ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The War for Central Jersey's Identity is On

No one in Woodbridge considers it North Jersey. Rahway on on the other hand feels more like Linden, Elizabeth, Roselle Park, etc so yeah like North Jersey. All of Middlesex county is Central Jersey, period.
I guess that’s the separation line
Union/Middlesex

In Somerset County, northern Somerset still feels like Northern NJ, Bernardsville, Basking Ridge.

But Bridgewater, Franklin, Raritan , Bound Brook feel like Central Jersey.

in Somerset County, Basically towns south of 78 are Central Jersey.

FWIW Carteret is not part of Woodbridge Twp
Yes of course, poorly worded on my part but my point was in response to @Proud NJ Sports Fan saying Fords (Woodbridge Township) is not in CNJ and @colbert17 saying Carteret (one of the northernmost town in Middlesex county) is a tough call. Any delineation of CNJ from NNJ should have ALL of Middlesex County in CNJ.

FWIW Carteret is not part of Woodbridge Twp
Freaking Woodbridge/Carteret. Where does Woodbridge begin and end, dammittt!! Fords, "Woodbridge proper," Iselin, Port Reading, Sewaren, Avenel--C'mon!!! Are these towns, sections, census-designated places? Take your lead from the rest of NJ, particularly the shore towns that are as big as postage stamps like Lake Como, Sea Girt, Spring Lake, Loch Arbour etc.

Did not know that Woodbridge is the oldest original township in New Jersey.

This. I'm going to guess that there are more pressing problems for the state to address.
How about this? NJ ranks as having two of the top five dirtiest cities in America.

Please note.. the "why is the government bothering with this" is to be read more out of suspicion than as wonderment. Just like how now we are seeing over 10 Presidential candidates on one side or both in each race.. I suspect there are financial interests at stake and it is the taxpayers' money being doled out in one way or another.

Freaking Woodbridge/Carteret. Where does Woodbridge begin and end, dammittt!! Fords, "Woodbridge proper," Iselin, Port Reading, Sewaren, Avenel--C'mon!!! Are these towns, sections, census-designated places? Take your lead from the rest of NJ, particularly the shore towns that are as big as postage stamps like Lake Como, Sea Girt, Spring Lake, Loch Arbour etc.

Did not know that Woodbridge is the oldest original township in New Jersey.
Woodbridge and Edison are huge with lots of people . I think part of Livingston campus is in Edison or at least very close.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Woodbridge and Edison are huge with lots of people . I think part of Livingston campus is in Edison or at least very close.
Not quite in Edison, but it does border it. Piscataway, Edison, and Highland Park all meet at a distant corner of Livingston Campus in the small roads east of the gym.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong, and that area is in fact Edison.

Last edited:
Not quite in Edison, but it does border it. Piscataway, Edison, and Highland Park all meet at a distant corner of Livingston Campus in the small roads east of the gym.
Right . That’s a large area of development from metropark/menlo park areas all the way to Livingston. Those back roads to the RAC don’t feel like big time sports arena about to prop up

Not sure you are correct. When I was on Rutgers Fire Dept, I recall that on some calls, Edison Fire would respond.

There are several RU "buildings" that are "in Edison," but they are mostly what we lovingly referred to as "the warehouses."

REHS

Division of Housing Warehouse

Rutgers Outdoors Club "The Shed"

Not sure about Rutgers CAIT, The BEAST, listed as Piscataway, but probably Edison?

If they allocated funds to cleaning those cities, people would still have a problem with it and would say those cities should be the ones footing the bill rather than taxpayers throughout the state.

I grew up in Iselin and live in Edison now, and never considered it North Jersey. Definitely Central.
When I went to college the kids, I met from Bergen County considered Middlesex County south Jersey. They considered anything south of Camden to be Delaware.

Was Port Reading also under the ice?

As I said, the line of maximum glaciation stopped generally at the mouth of the Raritan. Port Reading would have, then, been beneath it.

I will allow, though, that most people would consider all of Middlesex County to be "Central Jersey".

Reactions: Scarlet1984
And this is why no one knows what Central Jersey is when you got people dividing towns based on “what it feels like”…rofl

Let’s make it easy:
North - 201/973 & other related area codes
Central - 732 & other related area codes
South - 609 & other related area codes

Maybe the marketing point should be the debate, not resolving the question. Ie, get people to learn more about NJ through the discussion of a diverse character across the state.

This will throw everyone off

If NJ is 150 miles in length the dividing line becomes different than anyone is saying. I think they must cut off Cape May county to keep it at 150 since I believe the parkway goes up to milepost 170 or thereabout.

South Jersey would be anything below around milepost 50 on the parkway- give or take a few miles

Central Jersey ends slightly above Route 195

North Jersey is the rest

I do recall NJ 101.5 reported the central point in NJ was a home on Alana Drive in Jackson

This claims the center of NJ is in North Hanover and another site says Hamilton Twp so 101.5 must have been wrong. Not surprising

Last edited:
This will throw everyone off

If NJ is 150 miles in length the dividing line becomes different than anyone is saying. I think they must cut off Cape May county to keep it at 150 since I believe the parkway goes up to milepost 170 or thereabout.

South Jersey would be anything below around milepost 50 on the parkway- give or take a few miles

Central Jersey ends slightly above Route 195

North Jersey is the rest

I do recall NJ 101.5 reported the central point in NJ was a home on Alana Drive in Jackson

This claims the center of NJ is in North Hanover and another site says Hamilton Twp so 101.5 must have been wrong. Not surprising

The GSP goes to Exit 172 so you need to add a few more miles to your breakup.

• Haha
The GSP goes to Exit 172 so you need to add a few more miles to your breakup.
172/3 =57.3

From mile marker 57.3 to 114.6 is Central NJ by rule of 1/3's. But that does not seem right.
Seems from Exit 80 (Toms River) to 125 Sayreville/South Amboy (at foot foot of Driscoll Bridge) seems about right. But then there is the issue noted above that the Parkway is not a straight line.

Central Jersey is where there are split loyalties between the Giants and Eagles.
NJ+sports+4.jpg

IMHO after having lived all over the state here's my breakdown.

Central - Hunterdon, Somerset, Middlesex, Mercer, Monmouth

Everything north of that is North Jersey and everything South is South Jersey.
Anyone who thinks Elizabeth is Central Jersey is insane.
I think this is how most have always viewed it. Now I haven't done a census but everyone I know has viewed it this way. NO to Ocean, NO to Union in Central and some debatables in Norhtern Middlesex but mostly in it.

I think this is how most have always viewed it. Now I haven't done a census but everyone I know has viewed it this way. NO to Ocean and NO to Union in Central and some debatables in Norhtern Middlesex but mostly in it.
Ocean County is where the Pine Barrens starts, and "Pineys" are in the South.

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar
I think this is how most have always viewed it. Now I haven't done a census but everyone I know has viewed it this way. NO to Ocean, NO to Union in Central and some debatables in Norhtern Middlesex but mostly in it.
I am in Ocean County and live north of where you live in Monmouth County. I happen to agree with your assessment, but we would have to acknowledge that using counties as the guide makes geographical location somewhat meaningless in determining what north, central and south means.

I am in Ocean County and live north of where you live in Monmouth County. I happen to agree with your assessment, but we would have to acknowledge that using counties as the guide makes geographical location somewhat meaningless in determining what north, central and south means.
My location in Howell is definitely quite fringe Central, bordering on Southern. You on the other hand growing up got screwed by the telephone companies when they gave you that 609er designation. 😁

172/3 =57.3

From mile marker 57.3 to 114.6 is Central NJ by rule of 1/3's. But that does not seem right.
Seems from Exit 80 (Toms River) to 125 Sayreville/South Amboy (at foot foot of Driscoll Bridge) seems about right. But then there is the issue noted above that the Parkway is not a straight line.
I think you pretty much nailed my personal dividing lines as well. I used to define Exit 63 where South Jersey truly starts but agree Exit 80 makes more sense. Driscoll Bridge was always my defining line for North/Central split.

My location in Howell is definitely quite fringe Central, bordering on Southern. You on the other hand growing up got screwed by the telephone companies when they gave you that 609er designation. 😁
I am 732

That's what all of us from CJ have always said: Hunterdon, Somerset, Union, Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer and Ocean (yes, it doesn't make sense geographically, but the shore line is VERY different than the lower 7 SJ counties (just like the vast majority of Burlington is different than Mercer). It's pretty simple IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT