ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vice (HBO Series): Rutgers Related

JerseyPride13

All American
Aug 16, 2007
I am an avid watcher of this television news series and last night the episode was about the melting of glaciers and climate change. I already know it will be a matter of time until this gets kicked over to the Current Events Board but I urge those who are interested to watch last nights episode. About half way through the episode, they specifically talk about Rutgers and its contributions to the field. Needless to say, it was very interesting and good to see Rutgers getting some accolades.

Yeah...they were putting a drone in the water in Antarctica and saying it was being controlled from Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey....Pretty cool.
On the other hand, the show was awful depressing. Sea level rising is gonna be a real bitch.

This post was edited on 3/7 12:39 PM by Kbee3

Don't have HBO, but saw the title and thought that the series would be about NJ politics.

-Scarlet Jerry

The guys who run that show have some serious balls. For many episodes, they put themselves in some hairy situations. Dangerous stuff. Even if you don't agree with some of their politics, the show is pretty fascinating.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

My niece just returned from Palmer Station - she's part of the Rutgers crew that was profiled in the show.

I begged and pleaded with her to bring me back some penguin for tailgate, but... alas, no.

The story on North Korea got me hooked years ago...they do some great work over at Vice, and I agree with the above -- these guys have some serious balls to go to some of these places

Originally posted by John Otterstedt:
The guys who run that show have some serious balls. For many episodes, they put themselves in some hairy situations. Dangerous stuff. Even if you don't agree with some of their politics, the show is pretty fascinating.
I actually disagree with much of their politics but continue to watch the show.

Originally posted by JerseyPride13:

Of course you do.
sad0001.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Kbee3:

Of course you do.
sad0001.r191677.gif
It is pretty scary to know that there are individuals out there that agree with most of the conclusions this show comes up with.

Originally posted by Kbee3:

Of course you do.
sad0001.r191677.gif
It is pretty scary to know that there are individuals out there that agree with most of the conclusions this show comes up with.
Great...I was hoping to scare you.
cool0012.r191677.gif

The one on Heimo Korth was great.

Not sure how filming Greenland is Melting is political. It's either melting or it's not.

Originally posted by RUMcMahon:
The killing cancer episode was great as well.
We put this one (full episode) up on our YouTube channel for those who are interested and don't have a subscription.

Originally posted by RU4Real:
My niece just returned from Palmer Station - she's part of the Rutgers crew that was profiled in the show.

I begged and pleaded with her to bring me back some penguin for tailgate, but... alas, no.
That's pretty cool! How long was she out there?

Originally posted by fischy5000:

Originally posted by RU4Real:

That's pretty cool! How long was she out there?
Five or six weeks, roughly. She's on the team that launches and maintains the underwater gliders. Kid's gotten a fair amount of press the over the last year or so. It should be interesting to see what kind of opportunities she has upon graduation.

Thank goodness cavemen used aerosol deodorants because NJ would still be under ice and I'd be living in Panama, not Florida.

Originally posted by fischy5000:

Originally posted by RUMcMahon:
The killing cancer episode was great as well.
We put this one (full episode) up on our YouTube channel for those who are interested and don't have a subscription.
"We" ? You work for Vice?

This is the third HBO show that has mentioned Rutgers in some fashion, that I know of.

Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm (in the episode, "The Wire", Larry's lawyer says he went to Rutgers...unfortunately, the guy was an idiot), and this show.

Love this show and is very informative about many issues that the mainstream media would never dream of covering in depth or at all most of the time. Also people denying climate change and the effects that it is having and will have are either stupid or letting their political agenda get in the way of rational thought. Cue someone talking about all the snow we got...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT